ADVERTISEMENT

To all the Memphis reporting how UK fans are losing it over Penny being UMs coach.

and just like that, Penny adds Malcolm Dandridge...

https://247sports.com/Player/Malcolm-Dandridge-94690
Hey UofMemphis, I have nothing against your Tigers. I grew up in Northwest TN and always cheered for Memphis when they weren't playing UK. My brother works in Memphis and he keeps close tabs on the team. He keeps me updated. The excitement for Penny becoming the coach is understandable. From a recruiting standpoint, he is a sure-fire upgrade from Tubby. The question that remains is his coaching acumen, which is something I would question personally. If he were a great coach, with his name recognition and recruiting edge, he'd have been hired as an assistant at a big name program and already landed a HC gig. But as it is, I have significant doubts about his ability to take Memphis to an elite level. But, he's the hot commodity right now and I say he has until maybe Christmas before reality sinks in. He needs to sign everyone right now and get them to Memphis asap. He will sign the Memphis kids but the best of them will bolt once they realize he can't coach. AAU ball won't work in D1.

losing-it.gif

Hey UofMemphis, I have nothing against your Tigers. I grew up in Northwest TN and always cheered for Memphis when they weren't playing UK. My brother works in Memphis and he keeps close tabs on the team. He keeps me updated. The excitement for Penny becoming the coach is understandable. From a recruiting standpoint, he is a sure-fire upgrade from Tubby. The question that remains is his coaching acumen, which is something I would question personally. If he were a great coach, with his name recognition and recruiting edge, he'd have been hired as an assistant at a big name program and already landed a HC gig. But as it is, I have significant doubts about his ability to take Memphis to an elite level. But, he's the hot commodity right now and I say he has until maybe Christmas before reality sinks in. He needs to sign everyone right now and get them to Memphis asap. He will sign the Memphis kids but the best of them will bolt once they realize he can't coach. AAU ball won't work in D1.

Hiring a head coach is pretty much a crap shoot. There are only a handful of coaches that leave on their own terms. Memphis' last 2 hires were mediocre and horrible. Pastner was hired because no one wanted to take a job following the best coach in program history who took the #1 recruiting class with him while leaving the program under NCAA investigation. Pastner could recruit, but the players never respected him. Tubby was hired for a reason that 99% of basketball fans and experts are still trying to figure out. The hope in Memphis is that Penny will recruit at an acceptable level to compete for the AAC title (Top 30 recruiting classes) and will have the respect of the players to actually do what he coaches them to do. Penny Hardaway has forgotten more about basketball than any of the self prescribed experts on this, or any other, message board. It will be what it will be. But, what it is currently is 1000% better than with Tubby.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT