ADVERTISEMENT

Timing says a lot in this recruiting class

Tyblue22

Senior
Dec 23, 2003
So think about this, RJ Hampton meets with Cal, and there was talk about him reclassing. Not long after that, he announces that he will stay in the 2020 class. And yesterday, RJ was in Memohis and Wiseman shows up to meet him and Green. And the 3 take the unicorn picture. And the word coming out of RJ's dad was that the entire discussion was about Wiseman trying to get RJ to reclass. But RJ just made an announcement that he made his decision to stay in 2020 class. So why didnt his dad come out in the article and say we made our decision, nothing to see here. He did not.

And today, Oscar Tshiebwe gets his UK offer.

Cal could have offered him already but waited. And Oscar is scheduled to visit Kentucky NEXT weekend. So Cal didnt offer him prior, and could have offered him in person next week, but 24 hours after the Wiseman RJ unicorn photo Cal suddenly offers Oscar on a Monday afternoon???
Because Cal now has the confirmation he needs. Memphis, Penny, RJ, Wiseman and Green are doing a horrible job of keeping their poker face. Wiseman is recruiting those guys to Memphis and Cal isnt messing around. Cal changed a lot after the Zion Williamson recruitment. He isnt getting blind sided again. Oscar will commit to Kentucky and Cal will continue to go hard after Hurt and Carey at Big Blue Madness.

The timing of Cals offer isnt a coincidence

Wiggins.

tenor.gif

[laughing]

NCIS Lexington starring Tyblue. Interesting theory.

He may be on to something because Penny NEEDS for his first year to be a grand slam for the future of Memphis. Have a middle of the road year and recruits forget how great a player and how good an AAU coach that he was. Recruiting and early enrollment is 1 and 1A for him. Now we wait and see if those trying to go early, can go early, it seems to get easier every year but the NCAA doesn't seem to care any more now that John's not at Memphis, lol.

Reactions: Tyblue22
So think about this, RJ Hampton meets with Cal, and there was talk about him reclassing. Not long after that, he announces that he will stay in the 2020 class. And yesterday, RJ was in Memohis and Wiseman shows up to meet him and Green. And the 3 take the unicorn picture. And the word coming out of RJ's dad was that the entire discussion was about Wiseman trying to get RJ to reclass. But RJ just made an announcement that he made his decision to stay in 2020 class. So why didnt his dad come out in the article and say we made our decision, nothing to see here. He did not.

Cal could have offered him already but waited. And Oscar is scheduled to visit Kentucky NEXT weekend. So Cal didnt offer him prior, and could have offered him in person next week, but 24 hours after the Wiseman RJ unicorn photo Cal suddenly offers Oscar on a Monday afternoon???
Because Cal now has the confirmation he needs. Memphis, Penny, RJ, Wiseman and Green are doing a horrible job of keeping their poker face. Wiseman is recruiting those guys to Memphis and Cal isnt messing around. Cal changed a lot after the Zion Williamson recruitment. He isnt getting blind sided again. Oscar will commit to Kentucky and Cal will continue to go hard after Hurt and Carey at Big Blue Madness.

Dont think cal waited on Zion. He either came or didnt.

Trey young tried that bull shhhttt and cal didnt play that game at all. Took green and never looked back.

Reactions: RonEJones
Cal is covering his bases but wouldn’t count anybody out yet. We probably have four bigs leaving after this season and need good players to replace them. I consider Oscar a pretty good replacement.:)

Reactions: jace2012 and Poetax
If there's any coach who could pull a scholarship away from a player, to send a message, and not have it be any large loss.. it would be Cal. Not sure what of the last 48 hours is true and what's speculation, but if this Penny/Wiseman/RJ stuff has weight, he should move on.

How many have actually pulled off going somewhere as pairs You heat of it a lot but how often does it happen. Who are the ones to actually do it. Not just wind up at the same place but actually go as a pair.

I think it's pretty feasible. Wiseman knows he's gone after this 1 year so I think his mindset is why not help a coach and person he's known for a long time and hopefully bring a lot of talent along with him to get Penny going in his new job.

I think it's pretty feasible. Wiseman knows he's gone after this 1 year so I think his mindset is why not help a coach and person he's known for a long time and hopefully bring a lot of talent along with him to get Penny going in his new job.

How long has Wiseman known Penny?

Oscar’s offer coming today had nothing to do with Wiseman, but message board recruiting experts will believe what they want.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Wiseman may have the highest upside in this class, but he plays soft as a cotton ball for his size and skillset. If he were a multi-year player I could see the angst, but there are others in this class who will have a bigger impact in their one year than Wiseman and it looks like Calipari has offered all of them! :)

Also hearing that Kentucky is making up ground on Hurt. Back off, he's ours!

Good Grief. So many fake news sports reporters on the board anymore. Wake Up and Smell the $hit. Cal knows what he is doing and he don't need no stinking advice from RR or HOB sports Junkies. Wake Up American.

Wiseman may have the highest upside in this class, but he plays soft as a cotton ball for his size and skillset. If he were a multi-year player I could see the angst, but there are others in this class who will have a bigger impact in their one year than Wiseman and it looks like Calipari has offered all of them! :)

Also hearing that Kentucky is making up ground on Hurt. Back off, he's ours!
Yeah Hurt is yours same way Wiseman is ours. I heard Hurt would love to come to UK it his family who is sold on Kansas. That usually means family has been took care of. Don't think he is as much yours as you think.

I used to think this hard about recruiting back in the Tubby/BCG days. Stopped putting much thought into it since Cal got here. Recruiting will be great one way or the other. Not worth this much energy imo

Carey is a bigger get than Wiseman in my opinion for college. If we land Carey, Oscar, and one more 5 Star big, then Wiseman can go star on an NIT team in Memphis while we go back to the FF again :)

Wiseman is not even in Vernon Carey's league, especially after a whole year of being in Kentucky and Memphis's systems respectively, everyone will see who the better player is.. Sorry, just have never been that infatuated with Wiseman, even before all this Memphis and Penny crap started.. I never liked Memphis, for all the crap they tried to pull, to keep Xavier Henry and Demarcus Cousins in there good graces after Cal bailed and it bacame apparent every recruit he had would leave..

Yeah Hurt is yours same way Wiseman is ours. I heard Hurt would love to come to UK it his family who is sold on Kansas. That usually means family has been took care of. Don't think he is as much yours as you think.

Hurt is not into Kansas, as much as Jerrance Howard and Self try to put out there.. They did the same thing with Julius Randle and Zion Williamson and it ended up biting them..

I used to think this hard about recruiting back in the Tubby/BCG days. Stopped putting much thought into it since Cal got here. Recruiting will be great one way or the other. Not worth this much energy imo

Yeah, I figure we are going to get a pretty good group of guys who want to be here, and I’ll root for them.

Some years, like ‘13 and ‘18, it isn’t quite enough and we aren’t great. I pay less attention those years than I used to. Still watch, but I’m less invested.

Then we have years like ‘12, ‘15, and hopefully this year, where we are good to go from the jump and the whole year is a lot of fun.

But we’re never going to be bad because of some kid who didn’t want to be here. If he didn’t want this, then he wasn’t going to be the right fit anyway.

I like your inferences. You didn't claim any inside knowledge; you just played it logically and offered support to why you laid your claim.

Good post, man.

Time to part ways with Wiseman and waste no more time on him.

I’ll add a big if that is IF cal knows something more than we do. If cal thinks wiseman is a lean for Memphis get off the bus. If wiseman has given a soft verbal to Memphis or is a strong lean cal has the insiders at that school to let him know. This isn’t like duke and Williamson bc of Cals connections to that school. Penny won’t be able to exploit the situation the way he think he may be able to. Imo Cals playing chess penny is playing checkers but trying the RAtface shat in indeed that’s what’s happening.

Tshiebwe crushed James Wiseman 1 on 1. He dropped 24 points and 13 rebounds on Wiseman, and everyone in the gym was shocked. That was his coming out party. I wont deny that Wiseman has upside, but honestly, right now, the kid is a shy kid, who gets manhandled by Tshiebwe and Carey. He should have realized that the greatest recruiter ever (Cal) was on him hard for 3 years, Cal doesnt ever do that. And the second Penny got hired he Wiseman started palying games. Not cool on Wisemans part. But, he took the bait, And Kentucky is building a super class. And Wisemans gonna be stuck in Memphis with no help. And he will be playing at Central Florida on Tuesday nights instead of what he deserves, Kentucky vs Kansas or Duke on ESPN. Its a shame, but not the 1st time we've seen a kid played by adults. Oh well. The train is moving, and Wiseman is going to be left behind. I guarantee you one thing. There will come a day in the spring of 2019 where Wiseman will be standing in a tunnel about to take the court for Memphis, in the NIT. And Kentucky will be in a a different tunnel about to win a national championship, and sometime that night, James Wiseman will have a coming to Jesus moment and realize that the real world gave him an opportunity to possibly become Calipari and Kentucky's lead dog on a title team. But, instead, he listened to 2 first time college coaches, and he got left out and lost. Just ask DJ Jeffries, they did it to him too.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
ADVERTISEMENT