ADVERTISEMENT

Time To Take A Hard Look and Address Things

I disagree. I think people are living in a self serving fantasy world if they think we make a run last year. The systems absolutely hated us because of our weaknesses. We had a head case point guard, a soft and overrated big man, and Cal's coaching.

I get it, we can pretend, make it up, or believe whatever we want. But the truth is that team would have needed an enormous amount of luck to get tot he final four. And Cal has been very lucky the last few seasons, and lost to Kansas St. and friggin Auburn.
I disagree, yea Hagans had some sort of issue but we'll never know how that would've turned out.. We had games to play in the SEC tournament. I liked the way we were playing down the stretch. We beat Florida in the swamp and again we had guards that got to the line and didn't miss.. That's a major asset in NCAA tournament games.. We'll never know though..

Last edited:
Bro, again, one is at TEXAS TECH, A DOORMAT, and Cal is at the top of the mountain with the most resources.

That makes Beards much more impressive.

However, being someone who's honestly average at best when it comes to thinking, I have no idea why those years are all over the place.

There's merit to that. I don't know if I'd say TTU is a doormat. He also doesn't have the target that being at a Kentucky or Duke brings. There ARE some benefits to being a coach at a smaller school.

I also don't think he's going to lose opening round, in EACH of the next two years. Beard much too good for that.

It's just a hypothetical.. The reason those years are a little all over the place was because I'm trying to gauge when you'd say "no thanks" to Beard and/or choose to keep Cal instead. In the above scenario, If Beard flamed out in the opening round of the next two tournaments (which you said you'd be fine with, because him making the tournament is good enough), then that means... Beard's 6 previous years would actually be very much on par with Cal's last 6 seasons.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
There's merit to that. I don't know if I'd say TTU is a doormat. He also doesn't have the target that being at a Kentucky or Duke brings. There ARE some benefits to being a coach at a smaller school.

I also don't think he's going to lose opening round, in EACH of the next two years. Beard much too good for that.

It's just a hypothetical.. The reason those years are a little all over the place was because I'm trying to gauge when you'd say "no thanks" to Beard and/or choose to keep Cal instead. In the above scenario, If Beard flamed out in the opening round of the next two tournaments (which you said you'd be fine with, because him making the tournament is good enough), then that means... Beard's 6 previous years would actually be very much on par with Cal's last 6 seasons.

We''ll see. But remember me if Beard blows up.

A successful person takes a honest assessment of what they are doing and how they are doing it in order to adapt and get better. It's time that is done now. What needs to be addressed?

Players leaving early year after year that should not be is killing us. It's obvious we need a blend of new guys and guys who can steady us etc.

Players transferring year in and year out. If they don't want to be here fine, but don't just make it the norm.

It's past time to make it about UK and not the player. That ship has sailed.

Refusing to play and use very capable spot up shooters correctly. This would help the offense year in and year out.

An upgrade in the staff. Lucas was an obvious upgrade. But I'm not sure how good the rest are. Do they push Cal or are they yes men?

Take a look at your approach and your system. Is it working? Does it fit the times? Do players (the best of the best) really want to grind like this.

Stop trying to sell a mislabeled bill of goods. Slick and snarky talk is fine if you're on top. But when you are producing mediocrity you cannot afford to be that way.

Above all I think a true evaluation is needed and stop being so stubborn in so many things and ways.

Anything to add? Omit?

Huh?

;)

We''ll see. But remember me if Beard blows up.

I'm not doubting you. I think he's a top5 coach at the moment. I wonder if he's gonna be the type who wants to stay at a place like TTU.. life is nice at some of these smaller schools. Still in Texas with a ton of talent, good climate.

I'm not doubting you. I think he's a top5 coach at the moment. I wonder if he's gonna be the type who wants to stay at a place like TTU.. life is nice at some of these smaller schools. Still in Texas with a ton of talent, good climate.

Lubbock is a butthole.

There's no way he stays in Lubbock, lol. Some places make sense, even Few and Gonzaga. But TT is just not a program you stay for in basketball. We'd never offer, he'll be at Kansas when they fire Self. If I had to guess, I'd say there's already been backdoor conversations.

I just want cal to get those second rounders and undraftees to stay. That’s all I want
That’s really it. I don’t mind a guy like Tyler Hero that blows up and leaves. It’s these second round/undrafted guys that we need to stay. The problem for them is that they come in wanting to be one and done. If they stay for a second year, that assume that they have peaked and might as well make whatever money they can while they can (overseas or g league).

it leads to no continuity. It leads to the fans feeling like they don’t know the team. I see the coaches calling fans crazy or basketball bennys, it isreally endearing .

I’d like to see those guys recruited back.

It really doesn’t matter what we want. Nothing will change unless Cal wants to change.

That’s really it. I don’t mind a guy like Tyler Hero that blows up and leaves. It’s these second round/undrafted guys that we need to stay. The problem for them is that they come in wanting to be one and done. If they stay for a second year, that assume that they have peaked and might as well make whatever money they can while they can (overseas or g league).

it leads to no continuity. It leads to the fans feeling like they don’t know the team. I see the coaches calling fans crazy or basketball bennys, it isreally endearing .

I’d like to see those guys recruited back.

It really doesn’t matter what we want. Nothing will change unless Cal wants to change.

I think its virtually impossible to go heavy on 1AD recruiting and keep experience around. Oil and water. You have to pick one or the other. The 2 and 3 year caliber players want to play, and they're good enough to play for most schools. They won't stick around just to be recruited over, and I dont blame them.

Duke and Kentucky are losing like 1 or 2 transfers a year. Thats the killer.. If you notice things were fine in the early going for both schools when they started going into 1AD. Why? Still some good leftover players. Patterson, liggins, Miller, Jorts.. even WCS and Willis in the middle there.. but it drys up eventually.. with Duke you had the plumlees, cook, jefferson.. and now they can't keep many players either (although I think K will lie to his players a bit more to keep them back).

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Well you're dreaming. Kentucky fans have been possibly the worst fanbase at understanding Cal. Always have been.

He will never change for Kentucky. Cal honestly has contempt for this fan base. He's a northeastern blow hard who's been hated everywhere he left. He doesn't change, you change or he leaves. That's your choice.

I know it's a hard pill for some to swallow, but Cal will be hated by UK fans the day he steps off that stage in one way or another. It's just how he is.
I'm from Jersey, so I'm a bit of a blow hard too, but honestly, I think this thing is going to slide down the hill so fast and so far that Cal will HAVE to change it.
He HAS made some changes, going the transfer portal route for one. He used to say that was wrong.
But damn, how long can he sustain this stress? He's the one that has to put in the hard work every year to teach these kids how to walk and chew gum at the same time. He has to do that WHILE he's out recruiting 30 dudes in the hope of getting 4 to commit.
Also, too many of these recruits are going to the Oklahoma State's of the cbb world, the word is out, it’s hard here.
I just don’t believe Cal can keep this up, especially with the way the sport is changing and the groans from the BBN are getting very loud.

Lastly, I don’t want another Tubby or BCG here. Those guys weren't cut out for this. Tubby gave up and Billy was overwhelmed. I don’t think it's a good idea to start talking about a flash in the pan coach to come in here and replace Cal. We tried that already, it didn't work.
If Brad Stevens became available right at the same Time Cal wanted to hang it up, cool, but Beard doesn't have the personality to handle this job, he'd rather be fishing.
Lets find the next Italian badass IMO.

I'm from Jersey, so I'm a bit of a blow hard too, but honestly, I think this thing is going to slide down the hill so fast and so far that Cal will HAVE to change it.
He HAS made some changes, going the transfer portal route for one. He used to say that was wrong.
But damn, how long can he sustain this stress? He's the one that has to put in the hard work every year to teach these kids how to walk and chew gum at the same time. He has to do that WHILE he's out recruiting 30 dudes in the hope of getting 4 to commit.
Also, too many of these recruits are going to the Oklahoma State's of the cbb world, the word is out, it’s hard here.
I just don’t believe Cal can keep this up, especially with the way the sport is changing and the groans from the BBN are getting very loud.

Lastly, I don’t want another Tubby or BCG here. Those guys weren't cut out for this. Tubby gave up and Billy was overwhelmed. I don’t think it's a good idea to start talking about a flash in the pan coach to come in here and replace Cal. We tried that already, it didn't work.
If Brad Stevens became available right at the same Time Cal wanted to hang it up, cool, but Beard doesn't have the personality to handle this job, he'd rather be fishing.
prepared to get called a whiny crybaby. Sit back and smile. don’t question the mob.

It’s insulting to me that a bunch of grown men act like kids over the kids that Cal brings in.
I guarantee 90% of you all posting negative was just saying a couple weeks ago how excited you were over the team.
I understand what we are and what the program is about but who the hell else can we get?
Bruce Pearl? You Pearl lovers
To me Cal is doing a great job for what he’s up against, NCAA, ESPN, NIKE and money funneled to recruits to go to Puke or somewhere that don’t make no fudging sense.
I also love the players that choose Kentucky over dirty programs. These are kids and they will be great, once they learn to adjust.
So you feel insulted if people have differing opinions. And then you go off on tangents about random stuff like Bruce Pearl. Yeah.
Again there's no need for the name calling.

Cal is a great program manager. Sometimes I wonder if his philosophy still works . AT one time he got the Jalen Suggs and really any other player he wanted but then came pay offs and corrupt coaches began pulling the top players way from Cal. And yet the players we got were still one and done even if not first round choices. The Uk effect. These players are enough to get us to the second weekend but no further. That is likely our ceiling this year.

Moreover Cal has never prioritized shooters. That is obvious. Like Stoops and his passing offense. Cal is always at the bottom of conference three point shooting.

Last edited:
Interesting and thoughtful points Jed.
I'd really like to hear what you have to say about HOW a coach is supposed to identify recruits that will stay for 3-4 years. Do you only take 3-star players? Maybe 4-star players? Do you think Cal expected Tyler Herro to blow up and go pro? I'd seriously like to hear more from you on this.

I look at a player like Nick Richards. Stayed. Developed. Then I look at a player like EJ who left after 2 yrs when there was zero NBA reason to go. There has to be a happy place where the Elite do go but the tweeners and even the less than tweeners do not go. I don't know the answer, but I see other programs who keep kids around. Why? I think for the betterment of their program. I think the same could be done for UK. Sure, sell the NBA to the elite. But sell UK and sell it as a program for life to tweeners and the not so tweeners. Even if you do not make it to the NBA, playing at UK means alot.

Of course players blow up and go quickly like Herro. I don't think you only target 3/4 star players, but if a 3, 4 or even 5 is not developing and is a tweener, then sell them and the family on staying.

I look at a player like Nick Richards. Stayed. Developed. Then I look at a player like EJ who left after 2 yrs when there was zero NBA reason to go. There has to be a happy place where the Elite do go but the tweeners and even the less than tweeners do not go. I don't know the answer, but I see other programs who keep kids around. Why? I think for the betterment of their program. I think the same could be done for UK. Sure, sell the NBA to the elite. But sell UK and sell it as a program for life to tweeners and the not so tweeners. Even if you do not make it to the NBA, playing at UK means alot.

Of course players blow up and go quickly like Herro. I don't think you only target 3/4 star players, but if a 3, 4 or even 5 is not developing and is a tweener, then sell them and the family on staying.
Guys like EJ don't want to take the gamble on developing more during a 3rd or 4th yr. I think they figure that they have gotten as far as they can in college so why not start playing for money. Even if it is less money, it is one more year of getting to play for money vs the risk that you can develop further and get a better contract.

I guess I'd like Cal to have honest conversations with these guys during recruiting that you may not be one and done. You may need to stay 2, 3, or 4 yrs. The scholarship that allows players to come back later and finish their degrees balances the risk equation towards leaving early. Let's say the average basketball career is over at age 30. If you leave when you are 22, that's 8 yrs to play. Leaving at 20 gives you 2 more years to play. If it doesn't work out, go back to school for free. There is no risk in losing the education.

I agree that there would be a lot of benefits to sticking with UK. Maybe not the big money of the NBA, but a lot of other worthwhile perks.

I’m as fed up with the system and the current state of things as anybody. Cal is absolutely not producing at a level he should be and in the way he carries himself and this program. The “not for everyone” message he came up with has been an absolute failure, and has done more harm than good.

With that said, there’s a shit load of whining and crying here and very little talk about solutions or realistic paths to go to from here. I’m not sold by any means that KY could just go and dump Cal and get some sure thing that’s gonna carry on the program as business as usual in the middle of a pandemic.

The reality is there’s gonna be a huge aterisk on this season, and it likely won’t hold a lot of weight moving forward. Kentucky and Cal need to have a real talk about how this program is portrayed and managed moving forward this year and reset moving forward.

The best thing that could happen to this program is if Cal ditches the “not for everyone” mantra” and stops recruiting athletes. Having superior athletes in a game that has embraced smart offense isn’t viable anymore. Cal may be too stubborn for any of this though. We’ll see.

There’s not a coach in America I’d be fully confident in right now taking over. Someone would have to do some major talking into with me for Chris Beard.
Great post and I am not a Beard fan either. He has to do way more to be our coach.

Reactions: ConRay9
I disagree. I think people are living in a self serving fantasy world if they think we make a run last year. The systems absolutely hated us because of our weaknesses. We had a head case point guard, a soft and overrated big man, and Cal's coaching.

I get it, we can pretend, make it up, or believe whatever we want. But the truth is that team would have needed an enormous amount of luck to get tot he final four. And Cal has been very lucky the last few seasons, and lost to Kansas St. and friggin Auburn.
The SEC was weak last year and that team would’ve been lucky to have gotten out of the first weekend

Reactions: morgousky
Well you're dreaming. Kentucky fans have been possibly the worst fanbase at understanding Cal. Always have been.

He will never change for Kentucky. Cal honestly has contempt for this fan base. He's a northeastern blow hard who's been hated everywhere he left. He doesn't change, you change or he leaves. That's your choice.

I know it's a hard pill for some to swallow, but Cal will be hated by UK fans the day he steps off that stage in one way or another. It's just how he is.
I don’t think he will change either so I guess only time will tell at this point.

Reactions: morgousky
Guys like EJ don't want to take the gamble on developing more during a 3rd or 4th yr. I think they figure that they have gotten as far as they can in college so why not start playing for money. Even if it is less money, it is one more year of getting to play for money vs the risk that you can develop further and get a better contract.

I guess I'd like Cal to have honest conversations with these guys during recruiting that you may not be one and done. You may need to stay 2, 3, or 4 yrs. The scholarship that allows players to come back later and finish their degrees balances the risk equation towards leaving early. Let's say the average basketball career is over at age 30. If you leave when you are 22, that's 8 yrs to play. Leaving at 20 gives you 2 more years to play. If it doesn't work out, go back to school for free. There is no risk in losing the education.

I agree that there would be a lot of benefits to sticking with UK. Maybe not the big money of the NBA, but a lot of other worthwhile perks.

There's a ton of little things Cal can do, that even just a few of would help tremendously.

- Start taking chances on players with eligibility concerns, **** it.
- Be upfront with players when recruiting them,
- ..but also, secure a legit commitment any way you can.
- Attempt to persuade players to return. The team comes first, after all.
- Over recruit a position if needed, players can always de commit.
- Play the better player, not the better draft prospect.
- Pay em, offer the family a job, who cares any more?

He's developed it every singe year. They've improved in November, they improved in January, and they improved in March. Literally, every, single, year. I don't think you can turn a HSer into a perfect player in such a short time.

We continue to undersell how hard it is to get everyone on the same page this early. Talent doesn't mean much in November. Coach K, the supposed Goat looked terrible against MSU, and lost to SFA at home last year. This isn't about "developing talent", it's that, for lack of better wording that's gonna trigger people, "it's a process"

FWIW, Beard still had the 16th ranked class going into last year, 2nd in the B12... I believe 10 new players in total? Lost 13 games before the season even finished. It's not easy.
LineSki
I'm not advocating for Beard, or anyone else. I'm just pointing out, that most other coaches don't recruit, and get the talent Cal does, coming out of high school. The kids that Cal and Coach K get have already played the equivalent of one year of college in the AAU. Most of the kids Cal get, would be drafted right out of high school if it wasn't for the rule of requiring them to be out of high school one year. The last four years, 2016, we finished in the 32 round. In 2017 we went to the Elite 8. In 2018 we went to the Sweet Sixteen. In 2019 we went to the Elite 8. 2020 was cancelled. In 2021, with the shooting we have, it sure doesn't look good. I'm just don't like the trend I'm seeing. Not only the shooting, but the selfish play. Just check the number of assists we have in each game. Check our 3 point shooting. Check our free throw shooting. We have long athletic players, but they must still put it in the basket. Because someone doesn't kiss Cal's behind as some on here do, doesn't mean I, or we want him fired. I just put on the facts. I guarantee I'm as big a UK fan as anyone on here, and have probably been more then most of you.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Beard is not a flash in the pan. He's at Texas Tech and is still rolling with them. He has very limited resources and has out together one of the most successful programs in the nation over the last 5 years. I really don't know what some of you are talking about. Billy Gillispie made a sweet 16, Beard is extremely far from his resume. Also, if Beard isn't a competitor, how has he done what he's done at one of the doormats of theBIG12? I think some of you are speaking about Beard without much knowledge of him at all. The "personality test" we always talk about for this job is overplayed. Winning here is the only thing that matters. Sustaining our records are the only thing that matters. A product of kids on the floor that we grow to enjoy and watch be successful is all that matters. His personality would grow with the Job, and with the success.

Beard would be an excellent hire for UK. His potential will only increase from here, and he will be at a blue blood very soon. Honestly, he would probably be a top 3 sought after coach if we had a ranking system. You guys are so far off on this one I really can't believe it. It's shocking,

No offense on the Northeastern blow hard. I was just meaning meaning northeastern types feel Kentucky people are stupid and can be duped. I think Cal in all honesty fits firmly into that camp.

Reactions: Pewee Cat
There's a ton of little things Cal can do, that even just a few of would help tremendously.

- Start taking chances on players with eligibility concerns, **** it.
- Be upfront with players when recruiting them,
- ..but also, secure a legit commitment any way you can.
- Attempt to persuade players to return. The team comes first, after all.
- Over recruit a position if needed, players can always de commit.
- Play the better player, not the better draft prospect.
- Pay em, offer the family a job, who cares any more?

Right there with you on paying or giving jobs. It does not matter anymore, and the longer we play the Indiana routine that "let's suck instead of playing in gray areas" the closer we are to Vanderbilt.

All of the things you're talking about will never change with John Calipari. If UK fans are expecting him to ever change anything he does on a large scale, you're dreaming.

This is why I'm ready for a change. I know all too well, Cal does not change and we are going to continue to see this over and over. The only people who seem to keep advocating for Cal the most, are NBA fans. If you look around I think you'll see that more and more. I've noticed it for a while.

If UK was 3-0, few posters would complain about the one and dones. . Hell, if UK played with prison inmates and won, Big Blue Nation could rationalize accepting another national title on the basis of giving the players a second chance or that we were helping to rehabilitate these inmates. Winning cures most of the griping except for a few who will always find something to gripe about.

Right there with you on paying or giving jobs. It does not matter anymore, and the longer we play the Indiana routine that "let's suck instead of playing in gray areas" the closer we are to Vanderbilt.

All of the things you're talking about will never change with John Calipari. If UK fans are expecting him to ever change anything he does on a large scale, you're dreaming.

This is why I'm ready for a change. I know all too well, Cal does not change and we are going to continue to see this over and over. The only people who seem to keep advocating for Cal the most, are NBA fans. If you look around I think you'll see that more and more. I've noticed it for a while.
I think wishing for him to change is better than wishing for him to leave/retire/quit. He has a lifetime contract and is making too much money per year to just walk away.

I wouldn't walk away, especially when UK would be paying me to put 5* kids into the draft and I get to enteryltain NBA people while UK pays for everything.

This NBA stuff gives Cal a boner so hard, he could cut diamonds with it.

Like I said, I think getting him to change will be easier than getting him to leave. I dont want him to leave, I just want him to go back to what he was at UMass.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think Cal is attempting to get returning players, in guys like Askew, Ware, and Fletcher.. and Hopkins/Hickman for next year... whether he did it on purpose or out of necessity is irrelevant. He has them now, and that's what a lot of fans want.

a bigger issue is though. is that what they want? none of these kids come here with the idea of seeing their sophomore year. They choose Kentucky for 1 reason - Cal will get them in the NBA - and if that doesn't work out, they sour on the experience, Another year of going to class and living off a stipend? I could have done that at local college U and then the kid that is 8th in the rotation? the 5 star that averaged 27 points a game in high school can't even get on the court for meaningful minutes - so he transfers out, I could bust my butt in practice anywhere but stay just to watch him recruit and give priority to a new kid next year who hasn't put in the time?
Does that sound like a players first program?

The bottom line is until has a system that is a mix that works of developing players that contribute along with those one and dones, the system doesn't get better and lets not forget, his system needs the top kids, not the second tier 5 stars to do anything in March which now has competition not only from Duke and a handful of other kids but now also the G-League and Overseas.

and for the argument that winning cures everything, there is alot of truth to that, but there are issues here beyond the W's.

Honest question, how many of you could have named every player on the team this before the season started?

Reactions: kyjeff1
Tubby and Cal had one thing in common...stubborn and did not make winning at UK top priority. Once UK would not bend its Nepotism rule to bring on one of his sons as an assistant he no longer cared about UK and winning. If he did he would not have started recruiting players that we beat out American, Sienna, directional state, etc for. He blew it.

Hopefully Cal will reassess. I would not bet on it.

So it’s dump on Tubby time in a thread about Cal. Par for the course for some

For example, you posted Tubby quit recruiting, which is BS. He WAS up and down in his recruiting but had Draymond Green coming in to join PPat and Meeks And maybe the Lucas kid would have joined them. He would have had some of his best teams but had to leave when he lost the fan base.

@morgousky Let's remember, that Chris Beard had two great runs.. but they were b2b. It was a good deal of the same team. How did last year go? They were 18-13, likely gonna miss the tournament completely.

Now, that doesn't mean he's a bad coach, but it proves my point that for a lot of these guys, it's hills and valleys. They might luck out, get a great and experienced team, and then for 3 years after that it's so-so years and early round exits. I look at Fran from Iowa, ok he's about to have two great seasons.. And everyone is talking about him and Garza and why we can't have that.

..but Fran sucked his like, first 10 years at Iowa (to our standards). He got that job because, like Beard and others, assembled a team at Siena that had a few nice tournament appearances. Iowa and Fran are gonna go back to not losing in November, and having nothing to show for it in March.

I just don't know if having Bennett, or Fran or Chris beard is going to deliver any better results than John Cal.

Which do you think is easier? Recruiting to Texas Tech or to Kentucky?

I ‘m 100 miles from Lubbock and it’s 35 outside right now with some snow still on the ground. BTW at UK you can still get kids from TX, great kids.

Which do you think is easier? Recruiting to Texas Tech or to Kentucky?

I ‘m 100 miles from Lubbock and it’s 35 outside right now with some snow still on the ground. BTW at UK you can still get kids from TX, great kids.

TBH, I'm not sure Kentucky is any hot destination these days. And I don't think Beard would have such an "easier" job here like some think. Recruits only coming here for Cal, they don't care about tradition. Heck, you could say some of them don't like our past, or atleast how our past is explained to them (I'm not on board with the anti-Rupp stuff).

Where are the top recruits going to? Not Kansas or UNC, Blue blood programs like us.. Only Duke cause they're paying them. They're going to Washington, they're going with young black coaches like Howard and Penny. They're going to attractive destinations like FSU and Arizona. They're going where their families get hired like OSU. Heck, one or two are even going to HBCUs. A few are going overseas, and a few right to the G-League.

And when you say "UK can get kids"... No, UK with CALIPARI, can get kids. They come here for him. Look how poor our classes were in the Tubby and BCG years.

Is UK an upgrade over TTU? Yes. Will Beard have an easier time recruiting? Sure

But the job is harder, there's more scrutiny, more pressure.

Last edited:
It’s these second round/undrafted guys that we need to stay. The problem for them is that they come in wanting to be one and done
That describes Ashton Hagans and EJ Montgomery perfectly. They were leaving last year no matter what. And if we hadn’t brought in Hagans you might have a senior Quade Greene at point guard for this year’s team.

Also, why is this a debate?.. we don't WANT the top recruits anymore. And Beard wouldn't come near Cal in recruiting, anyways.

What we DO want him for is for a better X's and O's coach, someone who will work on sets and do the things we've been lacking uncer a "players" coach like Cal.

The strategy was always to get guys to the NBA--sing our own praises without singing our own praises--and kids would be tripping over themselves to come to Kentucky. We say player's first and all that great stuff. I think Cal believes doing the right thing and putting the kids first will reap the benefits.

We thought John Wall, Cousins, Davis, etc. would give us our pick of recruits. Recruiting somehow got worse during the 2nd half of the Calipari tenure. And...that's a clear indication the strategy isn't working.

The reality: kids only care about coming to Kentucky to get to the NBA--and fast. Kids see us as the one and done school. Kids that aren't good enough to be one and done think that coming to Kentucky means they are good enough. When things don't work out--they think we're using them wrong because by god--they were good enough to come here. They've been great all their lives. So they either leave too soon or they transfer.

We keep selling "Come here and we'll put you in the NBA." And we keep getting kids that...want to come here to get to the NBA.

Additionally, we don't ask the fringe kids to stay. It's noble that Cal encourages them to go. But if some of these guys are on the fringe--offer them reasons to come back. Tell them how you can make them better and improve their draft stock. Don't push them out the door so we can tell recruits that Immaneul Quickley went in the 1st round. We're better off having that guy back.

Additionally, we don't ask the fringe kids to stay. It's noble that Cal encourages them to go. But if some of these guys are on the fringe--offer them reasons to come back. Tell them how you can make them better and improve their draft stock. Don't push them out the door so we can tell recruits that Immaneul Quickley went in the 1st round. We're better off having that guy back.
I don’t disagree but the problem, I think, is that most of the time we’ll have a five star coming in that plays that fringe player’s position. And that five star isn’t coming to Kentucky planning to come off the bench.

Reactions: Cats192
The strategy was always to get guys to the NBA--sing our own praises without singing our own praises--and kids would be tripping over themselves to come to Kentucky. We say player's first and all that great stuff. I think Cal believes doing the right thing and putting the kids first will reap the benefits.

We thought John Wall, Cousins, Davis, etc. would give us our pick of recruits. Recruiting somehow got worse during the 2nd half of the Calipari tenure. And...that's a clear indication the strategy isn't working.

The reality: kids only care about coming to Kentucky to get to the NBA--and fast. Kids see us as the one and done school. Kids that aren't good enough to be one and done think that coming to Kentucky means they are good enough. When things don't work out--they think we're using them wrong because by god--they were good enough to come here. They've been great all their lives. So they either leave too soon or they transfer.

We keep selling "Come here and we'll put you in the NBA." And we keep getting kids that...want to come here to get to the NBA.

lot of guys wanted to comeback but cal encouraged them to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT