ADVERTISEMENT

Time To Take A Hard Look and Address Things

I know for some reason you like Gonzo's takes ( I think you vastly overrate his abilities as a basketball mind), but Randolph is the most knowledgeable poster on this board.

Line I think you need to rewatch the game. If every UK team doesn't win that one, most do easily. Askew is transfer bait too.

Man I want Beard.

I watch him routinely take people to task, and I also like that he calls it like he sees it. Which is rare here. Too many people set in their own way of thinking and never get out of it. Someone yesterday said all he does is look up stats? OK, that's step 1. Some people here can't even do that.

Do the 2013, 2011, 2014, 2018, 2017 teams beat THAT Kansas team, if we remove 3 or 4 build up games? Thats what I'm saying. Either way, we'll never know, but it's foolish to just assume some of those years automatically win. Remember, for as bad as our offense was, our defensive performance was better than.. any of those seasons? I dare say?

I dont know if Beard is the answer. I dont know if there's any answer for this fanbase. I would be happy with Beard, but I still want to see a little more from him. He did just lose to Houston, so there's that.

Reactions: RunninRichie
@morgousky Let's remember, that Chris Beard had two great runs.. but they were b2b. It was a good deal of the same team. How did last year go? They were 18-13, likely gonna miss the tournament completely.

Now, that doesn't mean he's a bad coach, but it proves my point that for a lot of these guys, it's hills and valleys. They might luck out, get a great and experienced team, and then for 3 years after that it's so-so years and early round exits. I look at Fran from Iowa, ok he's about to have two great seasons.. And everyone is talking about him and Garza and why we can't have that.

..but Fran sucked his like, first 10 years at Iowa (to our standards). He got that job because, like Beard and others, assembled a team at Siena that had a few nice tournament appearances. Iowa and Fran are gonna go back to not losing in November, and having nothing to show for it in March.

I just don't know if having Bennett, or Fran or Chris beard is going to deliver any better results than John Cal.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Absolutely. Bunch of Chicken Littles running around here. We lost to two ranked teams in our first three games of the season running a roster without a single returning contributor (literally uncharted territory here) following an unprecedented pandemic off-season with limited practice sessions under controlled circumstances.

This is THE season when experienced teams should feast because they can just pick up where they left off.

We will be strong by the end of the season barring further unforeseen and unprecedented circumstances.
Cal's roster is young. Who is responsible for that? Cal doesn't get a pass on it.
No one is being a "chicken little". People are justified in saying the program is stumbling. You either see it or you don't. No need to be insulting about it.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
@morgousky Let's remember, that Chris Beard had two great runs.. but they were b2b. It was a good deal of the same team. How did last year go? They were 18-13, likely gonna miss the tournament completely.

Now, that doesn't mean he's a bad coach, but it proves my point that for a lot of these guys, it's hills and valleys. They might luck out, get a great and experienced team, and then for 3 years after that it's so-so years and early round exits. I look at Fran from Iowa, ok he's about to have two great seasons.. And everyone is talking about him and Garza and why we can't have that.

..but Fran sucked his like, first 10 years at Iowa (to our standards). He got that job because, like Beard and others, assembled a team at Siena that had a few nice tournament appearances. Iowa and Fran are gonna go back to not losing in November, and having nothing to show for it in March.

I just don't know if having Bennett, or Fran or Chris beard is going to deliver any better results than John Cal.

Line there have to the the best of the future somewhere.

Cal went to the NIT in 2013.

Beard is at TT, a basketball doormat.

He's been to multiple final fours and had wild success in that time that few have.

He's known as one fo the best up and comers in the game, and will be at Kansas, a blue blood, with blue blood resources.

He's hungry.

I couldn't imagine, and I'm serious, being so gone on cal (not you just in general) that they'd keep Cal and what we have and so no to Beard.

If I were Kansas I would have already made the move.

BTW, TT is number 17 right now. Beard is outdoing Cal in everything, at TEXAS TECH.

Line there have to the the best of the future somewhere.

Cal went to the NIT in 2013.

Beard is at TT, a basketball doormat.

He's been to multiple final fours and had wild success in that time that few have.

He's known as one fo the best up and comers in the game, and will be at Kansas, a blue blood, with blue blood resources.

He's hungry.

I couldn't imagine, and I'm serious, being so gone on cal (not you just in general) that they'd keep Cal and what we have and so no to Beard.

If I were Kansas I would have already made the move.

I certainly wouldn't be upset with the hire.

But I don't see how you can be THIS harsh on Cal and just sorta look past Beard's previous year. 13 losses. TTU just lost to Houston. Cal has STILL won a title, He's gotten Final 4's with more "squads", not just 1. As I've said, since the minute we lost to Richmond.. Cal has earned himself a few more years.. but not much more than that, either. We don't make some noise in 2 or 3 seasons and I'll likely want a change by then too.

What I want to see in a coach, is who can do it with multiple teams? I think so far Jay Wright is the only one, currently. I'd like to see guys like Beard, Fran, and Bennett get a final 4 with more than just their marquee squad.

I certainly wouldn't be upset with the hire.

But I don't see how you can be THIS harsh on Cal and just sorta look past Beard's previous year. 13 losses. TTU just lost to Houston. Cal has STILL won a title, He's gotten Final 4's with more "squads", not just 1. As I've said, since the minute we lost to Richmond.. Cal has earned himself a few more years.. but not much more than that, either. We don't make some noise in 2 or 3 seasons and I'll likely want a change by then too.

What I want to see in a coach, is who can do it with multiple teams? I think so far Jay Wright is the only one, currently. I'd like to see guys like Beard, Fran, and Bennett get a final 4 with more than just their marquee squad.

I think your point about Cal going to multiple final fours with multiple squads is logical. The problem with the way you're thinking is Beard is young, and he's at TT. We've ran with the fallacy that "programs don't matter", but they do. And they do in huge ways.

I think you're sort of arguing form the position that "all is equal" and that's not how the coaching ranks work. What Beard has done at Tech rivals what Cal has done at UK.

Add that he's younger, hungry, and obtainable?

I think your point about Cal going to multiple final fours with multiple squads is logical. The problem with the way you're thinking is Beard is young, and he's at TT. We've ran with the fallacy that "programs don't matter", but they do. And they do in huge ways.

I think you're sort of arguing form the position that "all is equal" and that's not how the coaching ranks work. What Beard has done at Tech rivals what Cal has done at UK.

Add that he's younger, hungry, and obtainable?

I can get behind that.. it was a remarkable run at TTU.. and he is younger. Cal isn't young, and idk if he even wants to do this much longer.

But, id prefer to see what Beard does this season and maybe next. If he can get an elite 8 in either of those years, along with a solid regular season, I'd be good with the hire.

Here's me retort: what would Beard have to NOT do in the next 2 or 3 seasons that would make you A. Not want him and/or B. Choose sticking with Cal over him?

Like, if he cant get out of the opening weekend the next year or two.. not sure I want him, certainly not kicking Cal out for him.

I can get behind that.. it was a remarkable run at TTU.. and he is younger. Cal isn't young, and idk if he even wants to do this much longer.

But, id prefer to see what Beard does this season and maybe next. If he can get an elite 8 in either of those years, along with a solid regular season, I'd be good with the hire.

Here's me retort: what would Beard have to NOT do in the next 2 or 3 seasons that would make you A. Not want him and/or B. Choose sticking with Cal over him?

Like, if he cant get out of the opening weekend the next year or two.. not sure I want him, certainly not kicking Cal out for him.

Oh I think Beard has done enough at this point to take the job. If we at least makes the tournament at Texas tech and has them competitive in the BIG12 over the next 2 seasons, that's all that's needed.

Reactions: UK_born_b_bread
Oh I think Beard has done enough at this point to take the job. If we at least makes the tournament at Texas tech and has them competitive in the BIG12 over the next 2 seasons, that's all that's needed.

What about IN the tournament? You're fine if he simply makes it and loses first round both years? Or does he need like a Sweet 16?

What about IN the tournament? You're fine if he simply makes it and loses first round both years? Or does he need like a Sweet 16?

Why would I put more expectations on Beard at TT than you put on Cal while he's UK's coach? This simply doesn't make sense.

Beard has done enough, today, to be offered the coaching job at UK. Last I looked he's rated number 17, he's almost won a title at TT, and been to multiple final fours. He has nothing left to prove.

If he just sustains Tech to a top 25 program, which he is, then he's good to go.

Man, some of you are harder on coaches at crap schools than Cal at UK making hundreds of millions.

Why would I put more expectations on Beard at TT than you put on Cal while he's UK's coach? This simply doesn't make sense.

Beard has done enough, today, to be offered the coaching job at UK. Last I looked he's rated number 17, he's almost won a title at TT, and been to multiple final fours. He has nothing left to prove.

If he just sustains Tech to a top 25 program, which he is, then he's good to go.

Man, some of you are harder on coaches at crap schools than Cal at UK making hundreds of millions.

What? When did I say I expect Cal to JUST "make" the tournament? I expect Elite 8's, that's always been my mark. I don't shift it around. If you extrapolate it out to a 10-year career, I'd expect a title, some final 4's and not many flameouts. I've never really cared for regular season. So for me, Cal hit my mark. If Beard does that in 10 years, he also hits my mark... but, maybe, as you think, Cal is trending down and he doesn't do anything from here.. in that case, it would be time for him to go in 2-3 years.

My question stands: Do you want to hire Beard after a 13-loss/no tournament season (last year), and hypothetically, if he lost in the opening round of the next two tournaments? (I may have worded it poorly above, but that's what I was asking)

I bolded it, because I'm reaaaaly curious about your answer.

The difference is, Beard is trying to do everything he can to be successful at the COLLEGE GAME. Everything he does; recruiting, scouting, practice, film, player development, etc etc..........is to build a COLLEGE championship team.

There's no ulterior motive that their fans question or wonder about. They know that all of his focus is on one thing; being the most successful college team he can be.

With Beard, players going pro, graduating, etc is just a bonus. Winning college games/titles is the objective.

With Cal, winning college games/titles, etc is just a bonus. Players going pro is the objective.

What? When did I say I expect Cal to JUST "make" the tournament? I expect Elite 8's, that's always been my mark. I don't shift it around. If you extrapolate it out to a 10-year career, I'd expect a title, some final 4's and not many flameouts. I've never really cared for regular season. So for me, Cal hit my mark. If Beard does that in 10 years, he also hits my mark... but, maybe, as you think, Cal is trending down and he doesn't do anything from here.. in that case, it would be time for him to go in 2-3 years.

My question stands: Do you want to hire Beard after a 13-loss/no tournament season (last year), and hypothetically, if he lost in the opening round of the next two tournaments? (I may have worded it poorly above, but that's what I was asking)

I bolded it, because I'm reaaaaly curious about your answer.

Was TT going to the tournament last year?

I thought I answered it. I think he's done enough to win at UK. Not only because of his accomplishments at TT, but because he has a great command of his teams, runs a system I like, is a program first coach, and has already proven he knows how to have a winning product.

If he makes the next two tournaments at TT, regardless of outcome, I think he's one of the next best coming. I feel like I'm answering you?

Haven’t read much of this thread (getting lazy in my old age). But I believe it’s gonna be a rehash of similar threads. You either trust in the process with Cal, or you want change. Well, if anyone cares, I am at the point where I don’t give a shit. Cbb is unwatchable to me. Especially UK. Can’t even get the number on the jersey to correspond to a name and they’re gone. Hell, Cal celebrates this. Well, it’s not in my genes, or my interest. I’ve got better things to spend my time on.

Was TT going to the tournament last year?

I thought I answered it. I think he's done enough to win at UK. Not only because of his accomplishments at TT, but because he has a great command of his teams, runs a system I like, is a program first coach, and has already proven he knows how to have a winning product.

If he makes the next two tournaments at TT, regardless of outcome, I think he's one of the next best coming. I feel like I'm answering you?

They were not, highly unlikely, because they had 13 losses and would have had to beat Baylor and Kansas in the b12 tournament. TTU was not a tournament team...

You are answering me, kinda. I'm curious about IN the tournament. I'm asking "what if" he loses in the opening round of both of those. So I think I have it: You would take a coach who just had the previous 3 seasons: (1.) 13 losses/no tournament, (2.) opening round tournament loss, (3.) opening round tournament loss.

That would not be my guy. Not over Calipari. I would NEVER want to fire Cal, to hire a guy, who would have just finished a 3 year stretch that was far worse than ANY 3 years Cal had here... Not even a single "Round of 32".

That's all I wanted to hear.. I think that's absolutely crazy, but hey, your opinion.

Pitino is a terrible person with no morals, but he is one of the best coaches in college
Cal could not carry his jock when it comes to coaching ability
I will disagree with this. Head to head, Cal owns Pitino.
He beat Pitinos best team and maybe UK'S best team with Marcus Camby and 4 other dudes.
The guy can coach. The problem is for some reason his offense is horrible now. Have to have guys who can hit shots. Space the floor. Move without the ball. Screen and cut back door. They do none of that.

They were not, highly unlikely, because they had 13 losses and would have had to beat Baylor and Kansas in the b12 tournament. TTU was not a tournament team...

You are answering me, kinda. I'm curious about IN the tournament. I'm asking "what if" he loses in the opening round of both of those. So I think I have it: You would take a coach who just had the previous 3 seasons: (1.) 13 losses/no tournament, (2.) opening round tournament loss, (3.) opening round tournament loss.

That would not be my guy. Not over Calipari. I would NEVER want to fire Cal, to hire a guy, who would have just finished a 3 year stretch that was far worse than ANY 3 years Cal had here... Not even a single "Round of 32".

That's all I wanted to hear.. I think that's absolutely crazy, but hey, your opinion.

Cal was about to be fired in Memphis and no one wanted him. And all Cal had really done to that point is make a final four and get fired with the Nets.

You are underselling that man making a final four at Tech, and consistently making them relevant in the BIG12. He looks like he's going to be one of the best coaches in the country moving forward.

You will understand me just fine when he's at Kansas.

Reactions: UK_born_b_bread
Cal was about to be fired in Memphis and no one wanted him. And all Cal had really done to that point is make a final four and get fired with the Nets.

You are underselling that man making a final four at Tech, and consistently making them relevant in the BIG12. He looks like he's going to be one of the best coaches in the country moving forward.

You will understand me just fine when he's at Kansas.

That had nothing to do with Cal's ability. It was about Derrick Rose maybe/maybe not taking his SATs.

Maybe Beard is good, and maybe, I'd be missing out. I can't guarantee I'd be right.

But I apply the same criteria across the board. Missing the tournament, and two opening round losses in a row, ABSOLUTELY, would not fly here. I can't fire Cal, knowing his prior three years (18, 19, 20) were markedly better than what Beard just did in the 3 I outlined (20, 21, 22). Can't do it.

I’m as fed up with the system and the current state of things as anybody. Cal is absolutely not producing at a level he should be and in the way he carries himself and this program. The “not for everyone” message he came up with has been an absolute failure, and has done more harm than good.

With that said, there’s a shit load of whining and crying here and very little talk about solutions or realistic paths to go to from here. I’m not sold by any means that KY could just go and dump Cal and get some sure thing that’s gonna carry on the program as business as usual in the middle of a pandemic.

The reality is there’s gonna be a huge aterisk on this season, and it likely won’t hold a lot of weight moving forward. Kentucky and Cal need to have a real talk about how this program is portrayed and managed moving forward this year and reset moving forward.

The best thing that could happen to this program is if Cal ditches the “not for everyone” mantra” and stops recruiting athletes. Having superior athletes in a game that has embraced smart offense isn’t viable anymore. Cal may be too stubborn for any of this though. We’ll see.

There’s not a coach in America I’d be fully confident in right now taking over. Someone would have to do some major talking into with me for Chris Beard.

I’m as fed up with the system and the current state of things as anybody. Cal is absolutely not producing at a level he should be and in the way he carries himself and this program. The “not for everyone” message he came up with has been an absolute failure, and has done more harm than good.

With that said, there’s a shit load of whining and crying here and very little talk about solutions or realistic paths to go to from here. I’m not sold by any means that KY could just go and dump Cal and get some sure thing that’s gonna carry on the program as business as usual in the middle of a pandemic.

The reality is there’s gonna be a huge aterisk on this season, and it likely won’t hold a lot of weight moving forward. Kentucky and Cal need to have a real talk about how this program is portrayed and managed moving forward this year and reset moving forward.

The best thing that could happen to this program is if Cal ditches the “not for everyone” mantra” and stops recruiting athletes. Having superior athletes in a game that has embraced smart offense isn’t viable anymore. Cal may be too stubborn for any of this though. We’ll see.

There’s not a coach in America I’d be fully confident in right now taking over. Someone would have to do some major talking into with me for Chris Beard.
great post

Reactions: ConRay9
IDK if you realize, but in the scenario I just outlined, Beard would have had a worse 6 year stretch than Cal?

Beard's 6 years from 2017 to 2022: Title game, two F4s, two missed tournament, two opening round exits.
Cal's 6 years from 2014 to 2020: Title game, two F4s, Elite 8, Sweet 16, 2nd round, #2 seed.

I'm honestly not trying to play gotcha games or trick you up, because it's even confusing me a bit LOL. But that is what the scenario is. Those weak 3 years of Beard that you still take (20-21-22).. would still make a worse 6 year stretch than what Cal is currently at. You would be hanging on to Beard's two F4's from 4-5 years ago, which is pretty much the same what Cal has right now: two final 4's, 5 and 6 years ago.

Reactions: RunninRichie

Good post. So you think Cal would change?

Reactions: ConRay9
Might want to let Calipari know that. From his own mouth he said his legacy is not about wins, losses, or championships.

Then why in the Hell is he taking our money. To us, it's about WINS, and Championships. I don't really give a "Big Rats A$$," about the NBA. If that's how he feels, then he shouldn't let the door hit him in the A$$.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

BCG was an up and coming star when we chased him down....

All Beard has to do is win a game against Louisville...that will solidify a portion of the fans. LOL.

Cal is not going anywhere and as I said, who is going to have a conversation with him to tell him he needs to change? Eli isn't, and Mitch is a clown. Some ex player?

Players come to UK because of Cal. Name me another coach who is going to come in and recruit like Cal?

IDK if you realize, but in the scenario I just outlined, Beard would have had a worse 6 year stretch than Cal?

Beard's 6 years from 2017 to 2022: Title game, two F4s, two missed tournament, two opening round exits.
Cal's 6 years from 2014 to 2020: Title game, two F4s, Elite 8, Sweet 16, 2nd round, #2 seed.

I'm honestly not trying to play gotcha games or trick you up, because it's even confusing me a bit LOL. But that is what the scenario is. Those weak 3 years of Beard that you still take (20-21-22).. would still make a worse 6 year stretch than what Cal is currently at. You would be hanging on to Beard's two F4's from 4-5 years ago, which is pretty much the same what Cal has right now: two final 4's, 5 and 6 years ago.

Give Beard the same talent and what would the score be. Cal get's the Number 1 recruiting class, so it must be the best talent, but he NO LONGER develops it. A lot of his players would be drafted out of High School if they could go. Cal is fooling himself and us, if he thinks he is developing their talent.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: morgousky
Why the insult to members? You can get your point across without it?
It’s insulting to me that a bunch of grown men act like kids over the kids that Cal brings in.
I guarantee 90% of you all posting negative was just saying a couple weeks ago how excited you were over the team.
I understand what we are and what the program is about but who the hell else can we get?
Bruce Pearl? You Pearl lovers
To me Cal is doing a great job for what he’s up against, NCAA, ESPN, NIKE and money funneled to recruits to go to Puke or somewhere that don’t make no fudging sense.
I also love the players that choose Kentucky over dirty programs. These are kids and they will be great, once they learn to adjust.

Give Beard the same talent and what would the score be. Cal get's the Number 1 recruiting class, so it must be the best talent, but he NO LONGER develops it. A lot of his players would be drafted out of High School if they could go. Cal is fooling himself and us, if he thinks he is developing their talent.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

He's developed it every singe year. They've improved in November, they improved in January, and they improved in March. Literally, every, single, year. I don't think you can turn a HSer into a perfect player in such a short time.

We continue to undersell how hard it is to get everyone on the same page this early. Talent doesn't mean much in November. Coach K, the supposed Goat looked terrible against MSU, and lost to SFA at home last year. This isn't about "developing talent", it's that, for lack of better wording that's gonna trigger people, "it's a process"

FWIW, Beard still had the 16th ranked class going into last year, 2nd in the B12... I believe 10 new players in total? Lost 13 games before the season even finished. It's not easy.

I'm not on board with Beard. Look, being the head ball coach at UK isn't just about coaching basketball. It’s a much harder life than it is at TT. It is the main reason BCG crumbled and I don’t think Beard could handle it either.

Cal is the guy, but only if he stops this NBA first bullshit.

I'm not on board with Beard. Look, being the head ball coach at UK isn't just about coaching basketball. It’s a much harder life than it is at TT. It is the main reason BCG crumbled and I don’t think Beard could handle it either.

Cal is the guy, but only if he stops this NBA first bullshit.

Well you're dreaming. Kentucky fans have been possibly the worst fanbase at understanding Cal. Always have been.

He will never change for Kentucky. Cal honestly has contempt for this fan base. He's a northeastern blow hard who's been hated everywhere he left. He doesn't change, you change or he leaves. That's your choice.

I know it's a hard pill for some to swallow, but Cal will be hated by UK fans the day he steps off that stage in one way or another. It's just how he is.

Pitino is a terrible person with no morals, but he is one of the best coaches in college
Cal could not carry his jock when it comes to coaching ability
That's funny because Cal's Umass team with one NBA player (Camby) and a bunch of role players took out arguably one of the best if not best College teams ever in the 96 Cats and gave them all they could handle in the final 4. Cal owned Pitino while he was at Uofl.. Pitino's an elite Coach but so is Cal.

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
Well you're dreaming. Kentucky fans have been possibly the worst fanbase at understanding Cal. Always have been.

He will never change for Kentucky. Cal honestly has contempt for this fan base. He's a northeastern blow hard who's been hated everywhere he left. He doesn't change, you change or he leaves. That's your choice.

I know it's a hard pill for some to swallow, but Cal will be hated by UK fans the day he steps off that stage in one way or another. It's just how he is.

If you are what is considered a "fan" then Cal has all the right to have contempt for "fans" like you.

Reactions: Kybluedude
The dissatisfaction right now is about more than stats, #'s and records. It is, to many of us, more about how our program is being sold, portrayed and represented as a semi-pro feeder program.

Cal knows he has to get guys that stay and he's had some success with PJ, Quickley, Hagans, Nick and others. In a way it's almost unfair to Judge Cal because of last season.. I truly believe we were of the verge of making a deep run. We were a good shooting team and had guards that got to the line and didn't miss.. Nick Richards was really playing well down the stretch. Had we made a final 4 this roster turnover wouldn't have seemed so bad. Of course we will never know. I do think Cal deserves a little more respect for what he's done at Ky. I for one would never count him out.. I saw glimpses of a really good team last night.

Cal knows he has to get guys that stay and he's had some success with PJ, Quickley, Hagans, Nick and others. In a way it's almost unfair to Judge Cal because of last season.. I truly believe we were of the verge of making a deep run. We were a good shooting team and had guards that got to the line and didn't miss.. Nick Richards was really playing well down the stretch. Had we made a final 4 this roster turnover wouldn't have seemed so bad. Of course we will never know. I do think Cal deserves a little more respect for what he's done at Ky. I for one would never count him out.. I saw glimpses of a really good team last night.

I disagree. I think people are living in a self serving fantasy world if they think we make a run last year. The systems absolutely hated us because of our weaknesses. We had a head case point guard, a soft and overrated big man, and Cal's coaching.

I get it, we can pretend, make it up, or believe whatever we want. But the truth is that team would have needed an enormous amount of luck to get tot he final four. And Cal has been very lucky the last few seasons, and lost to Kansas St. and friggin Auburn.

Bro, again, one is at TEXAS TECH, A DOORMAT, and Cal is at the top of the mountain with the most resources.

That makes Beards much more impressive.

However, being someone who's honestly average at best when it comes to thinking, I have no idea why those years are all over the place.

ADVERTISEMENT