ADVERTISEMENT

Time To Take A Hard Look and Address Things

jedwar

Dec 30, 2002
Rex, KY
A successful person takes a honest assessment of what they are doing and how they are doing it in order to adapt and get better. It's time that is done now. What needs to be addressed?

Players leaving early year after year that should not be is killing us. It's obvious we need a blend of new guys and guys who can steady us etc.

Players transferring year in and year out. If they don't want to be here fine, but don't just make it the norm.

It's past time to make it about UK and not the player. That ship has sailed.

Refusing to play and use very capable spot up shooters correctly. This would help the offense year in and year out.

An upgrade in the staff. Lucas was an obvious upgrade. But I'm not sure how good the rest are. Do they push Cal or are they yes men?

Take a look at your approach and your system. Is it working? Does it fit the times? Do players (the best of the best) really want to grind like this.

Stop trying to sell a mislabeled bill of goods. Slick and snarky talk is fine if you're on top. But when you are producing mediocrity you cannot afford to be that way.

Above all I think a true evaluation is needed and stop being so stubborn in so many things and ways.

Anything to add? Omit?

For years Cal has thought it was "Cute" to mention all of the NBA players that were disgruntled about the way they were used while they were at UK. Also how "UK isn't for everyone". Now we are having a hard time getting the ELITE Top 5 players and Cal's UK Program isn't close to where it was 5 years ago.

Keeping role players for 3/4 years has become a HUGE problem. Cal isn't dumb, he knows it but is too stubborn to fix it. His Lifetime Contract scares the crap out of me!!!

For years Cal has thought it was "Cute" to mention all of the NBA players that were disgruntled about the way they were used while they were at UK. Also how "UK isn't for everyone". Now we are having a hard time getting the ELITE Top 5 players and Cal's UK Program isn't close to where it was 5 years ago.

Keeping role players for 3/4 years has become a HUGE problem. Cal isn't dumb, he knows it but is too stubborn to fix it. His Lifetime Contract scares the crap out of me!!!
I truly think the stubbornness is a true issue. I know I'm just a dumb fan but........

Well, for a couple of years now, I have said the same things and been ripped for it on here and labeled a troll and a negative a**hole. Now, I'm starting to see some of those guys either disappear or post some very negative things about Calipari's methods.
We are all UK fans, so accusing a known fan of being a troll or a hater is ridiculous.
Cal has lost the mojo he had, but he's refusing to adapt, but he'll tell you he's the messiah of change.
Oh he'll change the little things, but he's not going to change the big ticket items.
These kids that he "is helping reach their dreams", would reach those dreams anywhere they went. What Clarke and Boston do in college, doesn’t mean squat to the NBA, they have measurables and athleticism, that's all that's required.
Cal is willing to lose 10 games a year and fall short in the tournament, just to say he got those 4 kids to the draft and they reached their dreams.
Cal can fix this, but he won't, he's too stubborn.

Last edited:
Well, for a couple of years now, I have said the same things and been ripped for it on here and labeled a troll and a negative a**hole. Now, I'm starting to see some of those guys either disappear or post some very negative things about Calipari's methods.
We are all UK fans, so accusing a known fan of being a troll or a hater is ridiculous.
Cal has lost the mojo he had, but he's refusing to adapt, but he'll tell you he's the messiah of change.
Oh he'll change the little things, but he's not going to change the big ticket items.
These kids the he "is helping reach their dreams", would reach those dreams anywhere they went. What Clarke and Boston do in college, doesn’t mean squat to the NBA, they have measurables and athleticism, that's all that's required.
Cal is willing to lose 10 games a tear and fall short in the tournament, just to say he got those 4 kids to the draft and they reached their dreams.
Cal can fix this, but he won't, he's too stubborn.
yeah, exactly. but what do we know? we’re just some basketball bennies

A successful person takes a honest assessment of what they are doing and how they are doing it in order to adapt and get better. It's time that is done now. What needs to be addressed?

Players leaving early year after year that should not be is killing us. It's obvious we need a blend of new guys and guys who can steady us etc.

Players transferring year in and year out. If they don't want to be here fine, but don't just make it the norm.

Refusing to play and use very capable spot up shooters correctly. This would help the offense year in and year out.

An upgrade in the staff. Lucas was an obvious upgrade. But I'm not sure how good the rest are. Do they push Cal or are they yes men?

Take a look at your approach and your system. Is it working? Does it fit the times? Do players (the best of the best) really want to grind like this.

Stop trying to sell a mislabeled bill of goods. Slick and snarky talk is fine if you're on top. But when you are producing mediocrity you cannot afford to be that way.

Above all I think a true evaluation is needed and stop being so stubborn in so many things and ways.

Anything to add? Omit?
The only thing I want to add is a thank you for starting this thread and topic. I am anxious to see the comments of my fellow UK lifelong fans as sometimes we feel like we are on an island.

But when you follow basketball like the vast majority of UK fans have for most of their lives, you see problems. If we deny the interest in the program is in decline we are only fooling our self. If we deny something is wrong with the "Calipari Project," we are sticking our head in the sand. But I agree with many, Calipari is Calipari. His ego will not allow an evaluation of the program,

And the bleeding will continue.

Cal is reminding me of a 40 year old tennis pro who is trying to hold on to a job based off of his 3 day pro tournament in Mexico 20 year ago. Honestly It makes some sense.

Jed, as you know, I said years ago if Cal didn’t adjust his recruiting methods we weren’t going to like the results. Well here we are.

next time the mods need to do a better job of getting people to listen to me.

I'm not trying to run Cal out, but we can't act like he's the only person that can recruit to Kentucky. Simply recruiting OADs just isn't fun for the fans, and simply isn't really working. He's paid $10M a year to win games and championships for the University of Kentucky, not be a funnel to the NBA.

Anything to add? Omit?

Excellent and spot on. I have been watching UK basketball since Hall. There have been high's and low's. Calipari has produced some great highs, but right now he is mired in a Tubby like stage of mediocrity. And like Tubby, Cal has nobody to blame but himself. If he is not going to adapt and stop making this about getting kids to the NBA, then I could care less if he hits the door. His replacement will be an excellent coach.

Please stop thinking Calipari is the only person who can coach at UK in 2020.

The reality is Cal is not going to change and really could care less what many on here think. This is exactly how it is every year, so you all jumping on here complaining about it is pure comedy gold.

We lost a terrible game last year to start the season. By the end of the year, people were riding high.

You all need to relax.

I'm not trying to run Cal out, but we can't act like he's the only person that can recruit to Kentucky. Simply recruiting OADs just isn't fun for the fans, and simply isn't really working. He's paid $10M a year to win games and championships for the University of Kentucky, not be a funnel to the NBA.

Might want to let Calipari know that. From his own mouth he said his legacy is not about wins, losses, or championships.

Your exactly right. Sad thing is people are going to attack honest posts like this because they are bigger Cal fans then Kentucky fans. If Cal were to leave in a year or so, I’d say we would never see some of these people on this board again. I’ve took up for cal on here several times but it’s hard to take up for someone that’s being as stubborn and unwilling to adapt as he is

The reality is Cal is not going to change and really could care less what many on here think. This is exactly how it is every year, so you all jumping on here complaining about it is pure comedy gold.

We lost a terrible game last year to start the season. By the end of the year, people were riding high.

You all need to relax.

I love how some of you have totally stopped caring about our accomplishments and have bought into the Cal propaganda that only the probable loss in March matters.

Let me tell a few of you something. The few left still pushing these tired lines.

HE DOES NOT WIN ENOUGH IN MARCH TO MAKE HIS TYPICAL EXCUSES ABOUT LOSING ALL OF HIS GAMES THROUGH FEB. THIS IS NOT 2014.

Okay, so. Some of you need to get yours heads out of the ass and come to grips with it. We can’t just let Cal lose 13 games a year with hopes his magical tournament run is around the corner. It’s not, and the games matter before then. Keeping our head to head agaisnt Kansas matters. Beating Tennessee, Auburn, and the rest of the SEC matters. “The list” matters.

I’m sick of this Cal speak coming from fans. The guy has sold lemons and you’re making lemonade for him.

You all need to relax.

Absolutely. Bunch of Chicken Littles running around here. We lost to two ranked teams in our first three games of the season running a roster without a single returning contributor (literally uncharted territory here) following an unprecedented pandemic off-season with limited practice sessions under controlled circumstances.

This is THE season when experienced teams should feast because they can just pick up where they left off.

We will be strong by the end of the season barring further unforeseen and unprecedented circumstances.

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix

Anything to add? Omit?
You are spot on. Many of us have been pointing out the obvious for sometime and we are assaulted by the new young posters. UK basketball is so big and so important to the state it cannot be dominated by an egotistical coach who has seen a broken system since 2015 but has refused to address it. Now Jedwar you need to be prepared to be attacked by those who are delighted with the state of the program. I know for certain that big $$$$ boosters are not happy.

Absolutely. Bunch of Chicken Littles running around here. We lost to two ranked teams in our first three games of the season running a roster without a single returning contributor (literally uncharted territory here) following an unprecedented pandemic off-season with limited practice sessions under controlled circumstances.

This is THE season when experienced teams should feast because they can just pick up where they left off.

We will be strong by the end of the season barring further unforeseen and unprecedented circumstances.
And then lose because youth and repeat next year?

I love how some of you have totally stopped caring about our accomplishments and have bought into the Cal propaganda that only the probable loss in March matters.

Let me tell a few of you something. The few left still pushing these tired lines.

HE DOES NOT WIN ENOUGH IN MARCH TO MAKE HIS TYPICAL EXCUSES ABOUT LOSING ALL OF HIS GAMES THROUGH FEB. THIS IS NOT 2014.

Okay, so. Some of you need to get yours heads out of the ass and come to grips with it. We can’t just let Cal lose 13 games a year with hopes his magical tournament run is around the corner. It’s not, and the games matter before then. Keeping our head to head agaisnt Kansas matters. Beating Tennessee, Auburn, and the rest of the SEC matters. “The list” matters.

I’m sick of this Cal speak coming from fans. The guy has sold lemons and you’re making lemonade for him.

Spot on. The standard line for the last few years is always, "Hey it's December, wait till you see this team in March".
I have seen these teams in March, and not only have we not made it to a final four, 3 of the last 4 years we have had our season ended by a higher seed in March. People need to realize that things have been very different during Cal's tenure since the Wisconsin loss. Very different.

Derek, come on man. Can’t believe you are still on that train.

I say by this time next year, you won’t be.

Spot on. The standard line for the last few years is always, "Hey it's December, wait till you see this team in March".
I have seen these teams in March, and not only have we not made it to a final four, 3 of the last 4 years we have had our season ended by a higher seed in March. People need to realize that things have been very different during Cal's tenure since the Wisconsin loss. Very different.
Its been 5 seasons since 2015.

He could simply alter his players first narrative to include a more vocal recognition and support of UK and the fans and tone down the talk of NBA riches, which would help his case, but he won't.

Regardless, I am tiring of sacrificing 6-8+ weeks of a season for the hope of getting hot in the tournament. I can hardly watch these painful games at this point. So now my 'season' and thus enjoyment of UK Basketball is shortened significantly. Not fun or worth it from a cost/benefit perspective.

Last edited:
I'm just shocked that Cal of all people is struggling because he refuses to change and adapt... I always thought that he was this "cutting edge" guy who would change with the times (like Nick Saban). Turns out he's just a stubborn old man.

I am a huge Kentucky Basketball supporter. Supporting the coach comes with that. Exception was BCG. I jumped off that ship after year one. I have supported Cal quite a bit. I see his faults however.

I am now at a crossroads. I need Cal to change. We all do. We should have at least two more championships than we do now, and I personally blame Cal for losing them; one by poor bench coaching, and the other just due to the FACT that he can’t get a fair whistle. Don’t kid yourself into thinking that isn’t his own fault. It is. He made that bed by being Cal.

So, my thoughts now are - will he change. If he did, no doubt he could have monster success moving forward. May take two years, but he could get back. Does he have the balls and determination he once did? I don’t know. I think the dudes tired. Seems he’s been trying to cultivate his next career, on TV doing something in broadcasting; and not really focusing on what he needs to do with his current one.

I’ll tell you this, if we end this season with no final four, AND we lose half our roster again to the NBA (where they havent actually earned it through play) and transfers (Allen, Ware, Fletcher, etc) - I will be pretty much done with Cal. We lose before a final four and keep a roster in tact to build on; maybe I can live with it for a bit longer.

so, let’s see how this goes. But for the love of God Cal, stop the bullshit verbal diarrhea. Keep it straight, no garbage excuses, and just be honest.

Lots of the same posters making the same arguments over and over again. Cal is one of the few coaches that can lead a program like Kentucky. The other ones out there that can will not come to Kentucky. Maybe Pitino would come back if we run off Cal.

All this talk of Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright types coming here to coach comes from the truly delusional fans. Let's all reminisce about the old days....

I am more than content having Cal crapping some games away know what he beings to the table than risking it on another un-proven hire.

Cal's not kidding...you people are crazy.

I think Cal is attempting to get returning players, in guys like Askew, Ware, and Fletcher.. and Hopkins/Hickman for next year... whether he did it on purpose or out of necessity is irrelevant. He has them now, and that's what a lot of fans want.

Again, it's a little too early to just assume Cal won't make changes. It's really only been the 2018, 2019 and last year that things did start to take a turn. That's the time frame that you can kind of see the dip in recruiting, the players leaving etc. I believe he's making some adjustments. We'll see.

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to assume that just because people aren’t completely fed up with things means they no longer care about winning or accomplishments. I know part of being a Kentucky fan is having unrealistic expectations, but it’s not like we’re fading into irrelevancy as a program or anything.

I have some criticisms of Cal too, but we’ve accomplished a hell of a lot during his tenure. You’re not going to win a championship every year. I agree that there are some valid concerns with how the last couple of seasons have gone, but other than keeping guys who aren’t NBA players around and modernizing the offense, I don’t know what else you could really ask for that could feasibly happen.

What happened after you all ran Tubby out? How quick many of you forget....
Tubby QUIT. That's right....Tubby is a quitter. Didn't even have the balls to face his own players and tell them he was leaving. Before slithering out in the dead of night to take the Minnesota job, he flirted with leaving for USCjr and Virginia.
He won a championship with players that already had mental toughness burned into them by the Pitino staff. Screw Tubby Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT