ADVERTISEMENT

Time to quit playing nice

This is 3 years in a row UK has been played by a recruit. First it was Wiggins and something to do with one of his parents, last year it was a couple kids Brown, and another recruit maybe Swanigan? whose mom did not want UK, now this ordeal with Bolden. These kids follow basketball very closely and they know the deal with UK and if they want to be here then sign here instead of using us to muster up interest in recruitment. It's obvious other schools are telling these kids to hold off on announcing till the last minute to cost us recruits.
That is what happened in this one. We could have had Allen months ago instead he felt slighted and dropped us while we were off chasing Bolden and now we may well see some of the same issues in the post again next year.
Cal should give these kids until the end of their senior season in high school to decide and if they can't give an answer by then after usually 2 or 3 years of being recruited then it's time to move on to someone who absolutely wants to be here.

what r u talking about. Its called recruiting. Sorry we can't always have the #1 recruiting class.

Many people? Somebody link a story at least that has quotes from Allen or his people that this happened please. I'd like to know that it really happened and not these type of vague biased opinions by fans that feel jilted by one recruit and betrayed by our HOF coach who picked up 5 5 stars in this class despite his ignorance and lack of vision that kept from getting Allen.
Our HoF coach is getting his ass handed to him by Duke in recruiting battles.

My only issue with Cal right now was after he took his shot at Duke he tried to back off like it wasn't intended for them. He poked the bear and then tried to run away, I really don't understand why he didn't just own it especially after Duke responded by trolling him after they got Bolden today. That just shows they knew damn well it was intended for them and right now they feel like they got the last laugh.

Cal needs to embrace that we're the big bad bully of college basketball instead of trying to be politically correct, nothing he says is going to change opinions of him whether he's right or wrong so just own it already.

My only issue with Cal right now was after he took his shot at Duke he tried to back off like it wasn't intended for them. He poked the bear and then tried to run away, I really don't understand why he didn't just own it especially after Duke responded by trolling him after they got Bolden today. That just shows they knew damn well it was intended for them and right now they feel like they got the last laugh.

Cal needs to embrace that we're the big bad bully of college basketball instead of trying to be politically correct, nothing he says is going to change opinions of him whether he's right or wrong so just own it already.

He didn't back down--he stated it wasn't intended for 1 team--and then said whomever responds means it's home--aka they got the message. Who sent out a troll tweet upon Bolden's announcement? And fact it's an academic school and can't figure out the fishing analogy Cal used was embarrassing. He never said Duke can't land big fish--he was referring to saying "We'll Take Care of You For Life"--and get what he means. The fishing analogy was about "we'll teach you how to grow up..then it's up to you to take that and apply it"--instead of "we'll do everything for you". Duke for some reason is taking it like "we landed a big fish..."--yeah and nobody said you don't.

Duke does a great job and best thing for them was getting new/smart assistants (just because you aren't great HC doesn't mean you can't be a good assistant) who target right types. UK has company now for fighting for top players. Doesn't mean mistakes won't be made and I think Bolden and Duke is "excess" and someone isn't going to play/be happy and it leads to problems. Let them deal with them. Focus on UK but the fact this twitter stuff got so much play is pathetic--Cal was basically saying "If you want to be a baby and taken care of, this isn't the place--we don't protect you, we teach you how to deal with things and we don't apologize for doing things our way". Now I'm not one who thinks it was all directed at Duke who is highly successful--but it's coming off recruiting period and it's tiresome to hear negative things when basically other programs are placing your program in a lose/lose situation by saying you are "failing" if you don't win the title every year. Or by lauding your success in terms of NBA players, you are "not focused on winning".

Then again, I think UK fans are judging this elite class by the current version and not what they will be--and it's going to be a lot better then some of you think.

Good Lord, you guys ragging on Cal should at least acknowledge some of the HUGE advantages Duke enjoys.

First of all, you are recruiting a kid to a near Ivy League school academically, vs. an average public state university at UK. That's heady stuff when you're a parent like Mrs. Bolden who knows zilch about basketball and who perhaps isn't entirely convinced her son is is immediate NBA material.

Next, Cal has just a 6 year legacy at UK vs. K's 30+ years at the same school in Duke. K has alumnus going back to guys like Bilas and Dawkins, whereas Cal has jumped around from school to school and doesn't have the same history - yet.

Finally, Duke has long had an advantage as a media darling vs. UK.

Our HoF coach is getting his ass handed to him by Duke in recruiting battles.
We still have the number one cla
He isn't??? In head to head battles against Duke Cal is looking like Glass Joe.
so duke didn't want Bam, Fox, or any of our other 5 stars the last 7 years??? Maybe he didn't go after many of them because he knew Cal was on them.

Reactions: KisteK
Maybe some of you enjoy watching Duke win titles? I don't. They are 10-15 points better than us next year.
We needed another good post player since we don't know how good Bam will be in college, or Gabriel, or SKJ, or Humph or Tai who weren't good enough to see clock last year. Or hole Lee returns and has somehow became Anthony Davis?
Jefferson is a proven double double man in college, Kennard is going to have a huge year, meanwhile we are again relying on kids solely out of high school whereas Duke has guys that have played significant minutes in big college games.
Okay I'll bite. Do we play Dook next year? And if any of this is true, how would adding Bolden have changed that? I'll hang up and listen.

We still have the number one cla

so duke didn't want Bam, Fox, or any of our other 5 stars the last 7 years??? Maybe he didn't go after many of them because he knew Cal was on them.
Works both ways, we were not in on Parker, Okafor, Allen. The fact remains the ones that have UK and Ratface U in their final 4 k has reeled them in unfortunately. The bad thing about the Bolden saga is according to most with actual knowledge of the situation is Allen was Uk's if Cal pulled the trigger, he went all in on Bolden and got burnt. That's not saying Cal isn't great at what he does, but as with his in game coaching sometimes it seems his ego gets the best of him. I beleive he knew Bolden was choosing between UK and Duke and if he took Allen that meant without a doubt Bolden goes to Duke, and he believed he could pull it off and get Bolden and it failed and now we have neither and go into this year with a questionable big man situation.

Okay I'll bite. Do we play Dook next year? And if any of this is true, how would adding Bolden have changed that? I'll hang up and listen.
No we don't and if we got Bolden it takes depth and skill from them and adds it to UK duh. Duke is going to be great next year. They have shooters , low post players, and now SKILLED depth down low, not projects who could not see the court even with our lackluster post play last year. Bolden or Allen could have possibly evened things up for us. We are going to have to hope Fox and Monk are absolutely great to have a shot at 9.

No we don't and if we got Bolden it takes depth and skill from them and adds it to UK duh. Duke is going to be great next year. They have shooters , low post players, and now SKILLED depth down low, not projects who could not see the court even with our lackluster post play last year. Bolden or Allen could have possibly evened things up for us. We are going to have to hope Fox and Monk are absolutely great to have a shot at 9.
What about that proven double-double, significant minutes in big college games rant? He gives them none of that and would have given us the same.

Bam or a combination of bigs, guards and Willis OTOH, may be everything you've asked for. Did you notice how Dook wilted under defensive pressure last year? How has that changed?

What about that proven double-double, significant minutes in big college games rant? He gives them none of that and would have given us the same.

Bam or a combination of bigs, guards and Willis OTOH, may be everything you've asked for. Did you notice how Dook wilted under defensive pressure last year? How has that changed?
They have that with Jefferson, now they have say a 7 and 5 guy backing Jefferson up. That's depth. We dont even have nothing at center except 2 projects and a volleyball player maybe. They have a great point gaurd coming in as do we but they have outside shooting in abundance and we are very suspect in that area. We needed him and he would have been our starting center and we needed him so they wouldn't get him.

You sound more like a Duke fan than a UK fan. Duke is going to be great next year, Duke is 15 points better than UK, Rat Face is a better recruiter than Cal. Next thing you'll be letting us all know is that Duke has the best cheerleaders.

You sound more like a Duke fan than a UK fan. Duke is going to be great next year, Duke is 15 points better than UK, Rat Face is a better recruiter than Cal. Next thing you'll be letting us all know is that Duke has the best cheerleaders.
Never said Ratface is better than Cal, but the fact is he is getting the best of Cal head to head, Duke is balanced as hell next year. Jefferson back and Tatum and Giles are studs, great outside shooters, great point gaurd and experience. Throw in the intangibles of k owning the refs Duke is going to roll people next year. Sorry but I can take the blue glasses of and see things realistically.

They have that with Jefferson, now they have say a 7 and 5 guy backing Jefferson up. That's depth. We dont even have nothing at center except 2 projects and a volleyball player maybe. They have a great point gaurd coming in as do we but they have outside shooting in abundance and we are very suspect in that area. We needed him and he would have been our starting center and we needed him so they wouldn't get him.

Jackson isn't a pg. They have a team full of "me first," ball hungry dudes.

We will be good. You should go back to wherever you were napping before your childish, 8 hour rant.

Yet he's not the proven double-double guy. He's doesn't have the significant big game experience you fear.

Humphries may be that guy as much as your guy Bolden. Whose to say? Again, whose to say the ones coming in can't give you everything you say you want?

No reason to think their kids are significantly better than ours on either end of the floor. We don't play them regardless. In Cal we trust!

Jackson isn't a pg. They have a team full of "me first," ball hungry dudes.

We will be good. You should go back to wherever you were napping before your childish, 8 hour rant.
You sound childish calling their players me first bases of some all star games? I saw Tatum play in high school and he is a stud, Giles is as well if healthy. I know it hurts your pride to admit it but Duke is becoming the "it" program again.

You sound childish calling their players me first bases of some all star games? I saw Tatum play in high school and he is a stud, Giles is as well if healthy. I know it hurts your pride to admit it but Duke is becoming the "it" program again.

Your posts are all kinds of foolish.

Yet he's not the proven double-double guy. He's doesn't have the significant big game experience you fear.

Humphries may be that guy as much as your guy Bolden. Whose to say? Again, whose to say the ones coming in can't give you everything you say you want?

No reason to think their kids are significantly better than ours on either end of the floor. We don't play them regardless. In Cal we trust!
Jefferson is not a double double guy and don't have experience? Last I checked he won a title. Tatum, Giles, Jackson, Bolden coming in. Jefferson, Jones, Jeter, Allen, Kennard returning. Plus Obi coming in on a transfer. That is a well rounded deep class much like our 2015 team. They are going to rival what we did in 2015. Sucks to admit it, but they are loaded.

Last edited:
Never said Ratface is better than Cal, but the fact is he is getting the best of Cal head to head, Duke is balanced as hell next year. Jefferson back and Tatum and Giles are studs, great outside shooters, great point gaurd and experience. Throw in the intangibles of k owning the refs Duke is going to roll people next year. Sorry but I can take the blue glasses of and see things realistically.

K isn't doing this, it's Capel. And you need to relax dude.

Jefferson is not a double double guy and don't have experience? Last I checked he won a title.
Bolden dude. If you say he can't give any of that being a freshman, don't pity the Cats for not getting him. Either appreciate the recruiting process here or cheer for Dook. Pretty simple.

Reactions: Aike
Bolden dude. If you say he can't give any of that being a freshman, don't pity the Cats for not getting him. Either appreciate the recruiting process here or cheer for Dook. Pretty simple.
Bolden maybe could be a double double guy here, but he will play behind Jefferson at Duke so I figure he will get about 7 and 5. Jefferson put up 11.4 and 10.5 last year you add a 7 & 5 from Bolden Duke should be getting about 18 and 15 from the center position and 5 extra fouls from a guy who can give quality minutes. Throw in Tatum and Giles down low with that and anybody has their hands full. Now Kennards ability from 3 and Allens scoring. And u still got Jeter, Jones & Jackson. I don't see how you could bet against them.

We have 5 guys coming in with lottery potential. Anyone complaining about next season is some kind of sick.
I'm sorry Mr.Calipari, how dare someone say someone did something better than you on this board. I want real titles not recruiting titles. I would love to know what five guys you see coming in that have lottery potential. 3 at the most.
While you have been crowing about your draft pick numbers Duke has won a couple titles, and may soon be putting as many guys in the NBA as you are.

I'm sorry Mr.Calipari, how dare someone say someone did something better than you on this board. I want real titles not recruiting titles. I would love to know what five guys you see coming in that have lottery potential. 3 at the most.
While you have been crowing about your draft pick numbers Duke has won a couple titles, and may soon be putting as many guys in the NBA as you are.

Ok Cut-Nets. Sorry I didn't recognize you sooner. Been a busy day.

Ok Cut-Nets. Sorry I didn't recognize you sooner. Been a busy day.
Busy day? Doing what? Trying to rationalize to yourself that Duke is almost if not equal to us in recruiting. Or telling yourself that we will be okay next year even though deep down you know we have pretty much the same weaknesses we suffered through last season?
Or telling yourself we are not in need of a skilled 6'10 player with a 7'6 wingspan to play center when we got the woodchopper who played 0 minutes last year or Humph who averaged more fouls than points, or maybe your telling yourself Lee will come back and be a leader and become a skilled low post player?
Just take a deep breath and admit our coach f'd this whole Allen/Bolden deal up and it's probably going to cost us yet another title. Once again we have great gaurds and although Bam will be great I beleive we have a ton of questions marks inside.
If Bam has to play the 5 which is looking very likely, who will play the 4? Can Gabriel or Jones do it? Not likely.
If Lee returns to play the 5 and Bam goes to the 4. (where he needs to be) Can Gabriel effectively play the 3? Ok Willis can he defend well enough? What will SKJ be capable of?
Face it we are riding on a lot of hope from unproven guys again next year. And we already know Willis can't gaurd and Lee can't do much of anything.
Point being the difference between Duke and us is if Dukes freshman tank they still have Allen, Jefferson, Jones, Jeter, and Kennard that have been through a season or more and have effectively played at this level whereas if our Freshman tank we have 2013 all over again cause our returning guys are simply no where near as good as Dukes in fact only Willis and Briscoe if he returns can only be counted on for much. Lee has not shown anything in 3 years so I'm not going to pin any hopes on him.

If Cal took the first kid ready to commit Kobi Simmons is running the point next year instead of Fox. You can't have it both ways.

Duke will be loaded but college basketball history is littered with great teams that didn't win a title.

Reactions: UK_fan_41102
If Cal took the first kid ready to commit Kobi Simmons is running the point next year instead of Fox. You can't have it both ways.

Duke will be loaded but college basketball history is littered with great teams that didn't win a title.
Never said take the first kid, I said give these guys a deadline so we can't be totally caught with our pants down like today again.
What Cal should do is when he offers a scholly to a kid that is a senior tell him he has till NCAA title night to sign, if he don't move on to your next guy.
Most of these offers are handed out to sophomores and juniors, give them till the start of their senior season to sign, if a kid can't decide in a year if he wants to play at UK or not we probably don't want him anyway.
The whole process is a joke and gives 17 year old kids a way to draw attention. If a employer offers u a job you don't get the chance to keep pushing your decision off for months do you? Hell no that employer would move on to the next guy.
These kids get to act like Lebron in these situations. I love Terrance Jones but what he did to Washington was bullcrap.

Last edited:
These trolls don't even try to hide anymore! 10 to 15 points better....smh! And another one goes to ignore

These trolls don't even try to hide anymore! 10 to 15 points better....smh! And another one goes to ignore
Kinda like Creens goons weren't 10 points better than us last year as Thomas Bryant destroyed us. O ya another guy Cal passed over and dominated us. smh you homers sure don't try and hide it either. Delusional bunch you are. Enjoy 2012 and it took a once in a lifetime player to win that for us meanwhile 2 of our biggest rival Louisville and Duke have added NCAA titles to their rafters and we hung most guys drafted titles.

Elite players are in the power position during recruitment, not the coaches. A deadline might work if their choices are UK, TCU, and Texas Tech, but when Duke, Kansas, etc are also chasing them most aren't going to be receptive to one coach drawing a line in the sand. Plus, none of us have any idea what Cal is really doing behind the scenes in recruiting. Maybe he gambled and lost, maybe he didn't feel Allen was the kind of kid he wanted as part of the UK brand.

OK, time for plan B.

lebowski_stranger.jpg

Elite players are in the power position during recruitment, not the coaches. A deadline might work if their choices are UK, TCU, and Texas Tech, but when Duke, Kansas, etc are also chasing them most aren't going to be receptive to one coach drawing a line in the sand. Plus, none of us have any idea what Cal is really doing behind the scenes in recruiting. Maybe he gambled and lost, maybe he didn't feel Allen was the kind of kid he wanted as part of the UK brand.
Exactly. You start giving recruits deadlines and you'll piss off their parents and lose out on other recruits as well.

Reactions: KisteK
Exactly. You start giving recruits deadlines and you'll piss off their parents and lose out on other recruits as well.
Or you will get the guys who want to be here signed and move on from others that are looking for attention and can offer guys who are actually going to come here

If that's not Cut Nets she is her twin. Guess she can join her sister on ignore.

Kinda like Creens goons weren't 10 points better than us last year as Thomas Bryant destroyed us. O ya another guy Cal passed over and dominated us. smh you homers sure don't try and hide it either. Delusional bunch you are. Enjoy 2012 and it took a once in a lifetime player to win that for us meanwhile 2 of our biggest rival Louisville and Duke have added NCAA titles to their rafters and we hung most guys drafted titles.

OK now I know you're not a UK fan. "Took a once in a lifetime player for us to win" -- so we HAVE to have Anthony Davis to win -- but other teams don't? Come on. We were in the title game two years later.

Also -- you either love Duke -- or you're scared of them. Who cares what they do next year? Let the pressure be on them now. We'll fly under the radar. We only need to see them ONCE next year -- and as we say: in a one game format -- who knows? They can only play 5 at a time -- just like when we were platooning. You watch: K will get that rotation really tight -- some of these great players won't play.

ADVERTISEMENT