ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Tebow

Big_Blue_1018

Junior
Oct 5, 2014
Baseball America put out a story about Tebows call up too high A and it suggested that his promotion had nothing to do with his numbers but his draw for crowds. Do you think this is true and do you think this sets a bad precedent going forward?

He should make Bigs by the time he's 40.

Bad precedent? Well it's not a precedent. Teams have put lesser players on rosters even in Bigs to make money. I recall Minnie Minoso being put on CWSox roster in 1980 at age 55 so they could say he appeared in Bigs in five different decades. Got two AB's. Didn't K.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/minosmi01.shtml

I don't think it is that bad of a move. He isn't really anything to go see, but he isn't doing horribly and the fans love him. Still, I wish the teams would treat him a bit more like a normal player instead of a publicity stunt. I like Tebow and think he's an amazing human being, but I can also understand how the admiration for him, despite not being the most talented quarterback/baseball player, can wear on people's nerves. I think if they'd just treat him like a normal player and not be amazed every time he hits a home run then his image would be better and less people would be "against" him.

He is older than all the other guys he is playing with. To be fair to him and the others, he has to get called up and tested earlier...some people have done worse than he did in low A, so it shouldn't be too upsetting to baseball guys.

Everything with him will be called a PR move...but this also makes baseball sense as well.

Reactions: EliteBlue
He is older than all the other guys he is playing with. To be fair to him and the others, he has to get called up and tested earlier...some people have done worse than he did in low A, so it shouldn't be too upsetting to baseball guys.

Everything with him will be called a PR move...but this also makes baseball sense as well.

I think you're only right in a sense. Yes, he has to be called up and tested earlier, but he has to prove his worth before doing so. Why test him in AAA or MLB if he is only hitting .220 in single A? You wouldn't do that for anyone. They'd have to earn it to some sort of degree, or you'd have to invest in them so much that you really believe that they are going to be a major leaguer. They didn't invest much in him and he hasn't overly earned a chance to jump up in leagues. Still, I am not mad at the decision, but I most certainly believe that it is at least a bit PR driven.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
I think you're only right in a sense. Yes, he has to be called up and tested earlier, but he has to prove his worth before doing so. Why test him in AAA or MLB if he is only hitting .220 in single A? You wouldn't do that for anyone. They'd have to earn it to some sort of degree, or you'd have to invest in them so much that you really believe that they are going to be a major leaguer. They didn't invest much in him and he hasn't overly earned a chance to jump up in leagues. Still, I am not mad at the decision, but I most certainly believe that it is at least a bit PR driven.
Well AAA and MLB are completely different animals. I think this class call up makes sense in baseball terms. I think he won't find much success and it will be his final call up. He won't hit AAA on baseball ability.

Well AAA and MLB are completely different animals. I think this class call up makes sense in baseball terms. I think he won't find much success and it will be his final call up. He won't hit AAA on baseball ability.

Yea, I admittedly was exaggerating the league he was being called up to. You may very well be right that this is his final call up, and I suppose that makes some sense to me that you can call him up a bit sooner because of his age and then just go ahead and end the experiment. However, it doesn't make sense to end something that is profitable as long as that person wants to do it. If Tebow is doing just well enough to hang on in the minors in the league he is in and he continues to bring out fans then there is no reason to move him up and get him out of the system. The only reason to move him up, IMO, is because he is no longer as marketable in the town that he was playing in and that the crowds were no longer coming to see him play relatively poor baseball. Move him up and you give them impression that he's doing better and pump new life into the marketing of another team in A ball. Then you can basically milk that until it is dry.

Still, like I said, I am not upset about it and it is kind of interesting. Clearly, Tebow has some sort of draw of attention (we're talking about it), so he has value there, and he's an amazing person. I hope he does well in the higher league, but I am certainly not expecting it.

Yeah,@Derek Terry RT'd an article that laid out all of the value Tebow has brought to the games he has played in. He has made a huge impact. But you'd have to think he won't want to play for the love of the game in low A for much more than a season.

Yeah,@Derek Terry RT'd an article that laid out all of the value Tebow has brought to the games he has played in. He has made a huge impact. But you'd have to think he won't want to play for the love of the game in low A for much more than a season.

That is true, he probably isn't going to stick around too long in low A. However, he still has to earn moving up. Maybe not earn it as much moving from low A to high A, but baseball is often looked at as a sport with a small window of opportunity for players and especially so for moving up into a higher league. The older players are often passed by the newcomer with the bigger contract even though the older guy has played better. In this instance, it is an older guy possibly passing over younger players who have done better. Hopefully those younger guys still get their shots to move up and improve.

Tebow hit a bomb. lol
Haha I saw that. He's hitting .600 in two games and already boosted his overall average for the year by 8 points. lol

So, now the Mets need to make a big 2nd half push and get into the playoff race. They they need to promote Tebow at the end of the year and give him some big time at bats pinch hitting when you need a home run. Apparently, when the guy gets promoted he likes to hit home runs within his first two games, so the Mets need to take advantage of it. haha

Or they can flop and bring him up with nothing to play for just to say they did...(he might be able to pitch for them soon)

I am impressed with the guy though - not playing for 11 years and then hitting .225 in pro ball isn't an embarrassing thing at all.

ADVERTISEMENT