ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on SEC future.

MAYHOO22

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2018
When Oklahoma and Texas join the league in a few years, what are your thoughts on will SEC change venue of tournament from Hoover to Memphis? Houston? Will conference officials expand tournament to all teams or stick with the current number of 12?

I would be real upset if they changed it away from Hoover. It's iconic.

Last time they added 2 more teams to the conference tournament. I still think 10 should have been enough. I'll hold that opinion with 12 being enough and don't think they should add top 14 getting in. They never listen to me though, so they probably will. Lol

Reactions: MAYHOO22
I love the tournament being in Hoover. I just don't see it being as successful in a larger city. Of course, basketball tournament thrives in Nashville, Tampa, eyc....

I love the tournament being in Hoover. I just don't see it being as successful in a larger city. Of course, basketball tournament thrives in Nashville, Tampa, eyc....

The one thing that I hope they do not do is what they do in basketball and change the venue and allow cities to bid on it. I think a part of baseball that makes it amazing is that both the premier collegiate tournament and the NCAA tournament have destinations. You play in the same place, at least the same city, as guys who played years before you. The destination is a part of the grandeur of it and adds to the excitement, IMO. "Going to Hoover,' or 'Going to Omaha,' resonates through time because that is where the tournaments have been played for years. So, I hope that doesn't change.

Also... I guess I should note that they've only played in Hoover, Alabama since 1998, but that is still a long time and I don't think it should change as long as the stadium continues to be in good shape.

I am old enough to remember when the SEC Tournament was a 4 team double elim tourney in the 80's with the team with the best record hosting.

Reactions: vhcat70
The tournament needs to move out of Hoover. It's too small time for the biggest baddest conference in sports. The SEC realized this same thing in the 90s when they moved the football title game out of Birmingham to Atlanta. The SEC baseball tourney should be in Atlanta, Nashville, Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Miami), or New Orleans. If they want to throw the new teams a bone and have it in Dallas or Houston now and then, so be it.

ADVERTISEMENT