ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Lynn Bowden

Sep 10, 2008
This will be the game to unleash Lynn Bowden.

I consider us fortunate to get the three wins and still be able to keep the wraps on Bowden to this point. The Gators don’t know what to expect and will not know what hit them until they watch the replay Sunday morning.

If we continue sets out of the Wildcat formation, Bowden needs to be included. Either on the sweep or moving from QB to receiver position I feel like this would be a good change. Johnson has strengthened his grip on the football thankfully, but I don’t buy the “ball in the lights” excuse for dropping an easy TD. No way Bowden drops that pass and should take Johnson’s position on these plays.

I predict Bowden will get his first of many touchdowns this Saturday.

GO CATS!

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Been hearing this for awhile. But I hope it happens. The way Gran talks Benny will be used less this week to take off the strain. So King will obviously get more carries and Lynn should get more looks in the Wildcat.

Kelly made Florida look terrible in the run game and the tackling department, so a slick, speedy guy like Bowden could have a decent day.

Reactions: UKvisitor

I consider us fortunate to get the three wins and still be able to keep the wraps on Bowden to this point. The Gators don’t know what to expect and will not know what hit them until they watch the replay Sunday morning.

If we continue sets out of the Wildcat formation, Bowden needs to be included. Either on the sweep or moving from QB to receiver position I feel like this would be a good change. Johnson has strengthened his grip on the football thankfully, but I don’t buy the “ball in the lights” excuse for dropping an easy TD. No way Bowden drops that pass and should take Johnson’s position on these plays.

GO CATS!
No because if Bowden took SJ spot in the receiver spot the defense would never leave him open. They leave SJ open, already been said. Having said that, SJ needs to catch it when wide open

Putting Johnson out as a receiver is a waste. I think they should break the huddle and run Johnson off the field and insert Bowden (must go inside #'s and than back out to be legal). This will take some attention off Snell. Plus, can run jet sweep or fake jet sweep. Again, taking some of the defenses attention of Snell. Plus, we get Bowden more involved.

I just hope he becomes a bigger part of the offense. With how his season has gone so far, I'm afraid if things don't pick up he might start second guessing his decision to come here. After him being upset in his first game due to lack of playing time (not the staff's fault since he was cleared late) and then the bogus ejection, I don't think the season is going like he expected for himself.

Hopefully he is happy here and helps us win a bunch more games and is a high draft pick in a couple more years. We don't get many players of his caliber and when we do we need them to shine. Randall Cobb is a great recruiting tool for being able to be successful here and in the NFL. Hopefully so will Bowden.

Last edited:
Reactions: MbergCat
He's been seen on campus...... Hangs around with Waldo and Carmen Sandiego.... Look for him and his buds in the South EZ.....

Putting Johnson out as a receiver is a waste. I think they should break the huddle and run Johnson off the field and insert Bowden (must go inside #'s and than back out to be legal). This will take some attention off Snell. Plus, can run jet sweep or fake jet sweep. Again, taking some of the defenses attention of Snell. Plus, we get Bowden more involved.

Gived the D a chance to sub. Thats why we leave Johnson in.

If the UK football team was a machine and LB was a gear, he has to connect to the main gear and that is SJ. When that happens, the kid will shine.

Example: Conrad. Johnson and Conrad, do they flow together in a game?

Last edited:
Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
Lynn has impressed me with his limited play on two games. That said, I think bringing him along at the proper pace is just fine.

I'd love to see him in the backfield and then catching a pass in the flat against a LB or a screen. Or in the slot and catching bubble screens or a drag across the field where he can operate in space. Think he's pretty darn shifty and can make some big plays if given room to operate.

Reactions: Tcat_2
AJ Rose? Koback?

Siheim King is not a good matchup v Florida. Dude can't break tackles and is too tiny to run between tackles.
I agree on King, but he is good on catching the ball in space and we did that a couple of times against USC and he was able to get some good yards after the catch. That's what we need to continue to do with him imo.

Anyone remember the game were West Virigina demolished Clemson by running the jet sweep the whole game. I want to see SJ and Bowden line up outside then have Bowden go into motion and get the pitch from Benny and fly to the outside. Would really put the defense off balance.

Lynn Bowden‏@H_Huncho Sep 19
Great mood this morning
1f60e.png
1f60f.png

This is week # 4 of people posting "This is week Bowden is unleashed." Someone will be correct before the end of the year.

I consider us fortunate to get the three wins and still be able to keep the wraps on Bowden to this point.

I promise you Stoops and Gran haven't tried to keep Bowden as a secret weapon for Fla game.

Bowden needs to be the QB then ... move from QB to receiver position I feel like this would be a good change.

Wildcat loses part of it's effectiveness if they pull the QB.

I agree and think we see Bowden's first TD Sat night.

I think it's obvious that Gran wants to work Bowden more into the Wildcat package. Here's the issue. Snell can't read the sweep -vs- keeping it if Bowden is the sweep option. (That's a fumble waiting to happen which would be a killer, especially in the Red-Zone.) This player package requires a predetermined read on where the ball is going.

Bowden receiving the ball and running Snell as the sweep guy probably allows more options with Bowden having a history of making the read based on
defense's response. It also allows a real threat to throw the ball (which is usually wide open.) But, it puts Snell running east-west when his strength is running down hill. I'm hoping Snell can learn to read the defense and hand off with out fear of a fumble. That keeps everyone working in their strengths/speed.

I do expect a couple things. 1) SJ lined up by himself outside and the sweep ran to his side. Sweep guy will read the corner and throw to SJ if corner comes up to stop the run. (If SJ lines up on the right side I really expect it because it's a much easier throw for a right handed Bowden.)

2) I think Bowden gets 5+ touches (rushing and receiving) for the night.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Bowden, Bowden no Bowden. UK is 3-0. I want some more SJ winning games. Bowden has to get into what is going on with UK winning football games. SJ.

So you don't get him in space? Okay whatever
I didn't say that. Conrad finds his space. Bowden wants to line up in space behind the center. SJ does that fine.
For this year Bowden needs to find his space to contribute. WC hasn't worked out so far for him. I want him to have a Snell like freshman year. He needs to find his open space. Snell did.

I didn't say that. Conrad finds his space. Bowden wants to line up in space behind the center. SJ does that fine.
For this year Bowden needs to find his space to contribute. WC hasn't worked out so far for him. I want him to have a Snell like freshman year. He needs to find his open space. Snell did.

Screens, reverse, jet sweeps, slot routes, zone read, so fourth so on. The coaches can put him in space if they wanted to. That is what makes no sence. Sticking him In Wildcat with teams stacking the box isnt putting him in space.

Reactions: Tcat_2
You make it sound like they just decide themselves where to line up and which play to run. You get him in space with sweeps, stretch plays, quick slants and outs. Hell, we need a deep threat; line him up in slot and wheel him behind a Conrad dig route.

If he's the explosive athlete everyone says he is then you have to get him 5+ touches a game at minimum.

AJ Rose? Koback?

Siheim King is not a good matchup v Florida. Dude can't break tackles and is too tiny to run between tackles.
I don't know about that....he's done some good things. Good yards/carry numbers and he's threat out of the back field.. I like his quicks and ability to make people miss. I would have like to seen a little more of him against SC.

My thought is "GET HIM THE BALL INSPACE!" I do not understand why that is so hard?
I think they've been saving that for now. Anxious to see him get an actual step or two before getting hit, perhaps being able to juke a guy or two or three. UF guys are fast, so it will be a good measure of his skill. In any case, I agree with everyone else that he will surely get some more chances this weekend. That's something UF has not seen on tape, so it could be a great weapon.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueUKats#9
I think they've been saving that for now.

Why do you think they've saved him for now? No coach in America saves a good player when you're playing good teams and scratching out wins.

Fans need to come to realization that Bowden is a heck of an athlete, but missed 99% of camp. Fall camp is huge for freshmen. When the season starts coaches change gears and get into game prep. They go with players who know the playbook and can execute the playbook.

Bowden is playing catch-up. I think he'll eventually have some good production. But, most of it will come on special teams and the Wildcat. I think you'll see a different Bowden after the bye week. He'll get lots of individual attention during that time frame. Hope it happens sooner, but they haven't saved him as a special weapon.

Why do you think they've saved him for now? No coach in America saves a good player when you're playing good teams and scratching out wins.

Fans need to come to realization that Bowden is a heck of an athlete, but missed 99% of camp. Fall camp is huge for freshmen. When the season starts coaches change gears and get into game prep. They go with players who know the playbook and can execute the playbook.

Bowden is playing catch-up. I think he'll eventually have some good production. But, most of it will come on special teams and the Wildcat. I think you'll see a different Bowden after the bye week. He'll get lots of individual attention during that time frame. Hope it happens sooner, but they haven't saved him as a special weapon.

Tell you what. Let's see how many times he is used in this game, and we'll come back and recap the game. I stand behind my thought that they have been "saving" some plays, as in NOT SHOWING some things that he can do that would be potential big plays for us. Not screening to him over a 3 game period makes much less sense that him being held back because he missed a week of fall camp (that's NOT 99% of camp by the way). He's surely smart enough to learn a half dozen plays, so we'll see this weekend.

Tell you what. Let's see how many times he is used in this game, and we'll come back and recap the game. I stand behind my thought that they have been "saving" some plays, as in NOT SHOWING some things that he can do that would be potential big plays for us. Not screening to him over a 3 game period makes much less sense that him being held back because he missed a week of fall camp (that's NOT 99% of camp by the way). He's surely smart enough to learn a half dozen plays, so we'll see this weekend.

Think he missed more than 1 week of camp. (Someone can confirm how much he missed.)

Just don't think Gran and Stoops held anything back against USM and SC.

I agree with you that learning to step back and catch a WR screen doesn't sound like rocket science to me. I understand the rest of the route tree ... not just learning it, but learning how to properly get in and out of his routes. That's mainly camp stuff that's ran over and over, which they don't do as much after camp. Don't forget that Bowden was a hs QB. Playing receiver is a new position for him.

We all agree that we want to see the young man do well, and think he'll soon be a force to be reckoned with. We never saw Snell last year until game 4. LB has plenty time to make his mark this year. He just came with a lot more hype and we want to see the Mercedes get out of the parking lot ; -)

ADVERTISEMENT