ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Cal's idea

WildMoon

All-American
Apr 7, 2009
About having tournament in August?

That sounds so freaking awesome...wish NCAA would get on it.

I think it would be pretty cool, but I imagine it would be hard for a lot of teams. Most teams lose money on basketball already and probably couldn't afford to do another tournament. That is unless the NCAA or sponsors could fund it all.

Also, what kind of tournament would it be? Like a Preseason NIT with a bunch of teams or are we talking about a bunch of smaller tournaments like the ones we currently have in November? It would actually help make the polls more accurate at the start of the season by being more than a guess based on returning players and signed recruits.

I think it would be pretty cool, but I imagine it would be hard for a lot of teams. Most teams lose money on basketball already and probably couldn't afford to do another tournament. That is unless the NCAA or sponsors could fund it all.

Also, what kind of tournament would it be? Like a Preseason NIT with a bunch of teams or are we talking about a bunch of smaller tournaments like the ones we currently have in November? It would actually help make the polls more accurate at the start of the season by being more than a guess based on returning players and signed recruits.

Would be cool to have random 64 team selection and do a tournament. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Edit: not random but based preseason ranking .

tenor.gif

About having tournament in August?

That sounds so freaking awesome...wish NCAA would get on it.

There are tournaments that high schools use to tune up such as the bluegrass state games. If USA basketball or some non NCAA entity started a tournament during this period or even in July there isn’t much the NCAA could do about it as long it’s not during a dead period. I think it could be really good for USA basketball to start this bc it could be seen as possible evaluation. Keep the ncaa out of it

There are tournaments that high schools use to tune up such as the bluegrass state games. If USA basketball or some non NCAA entity started a tournament during this period or even in July there isn’t much the NCAA could do about it as long it’s not during a dead period. I think it could be really good for USA basketball to start this bc it could be seen as possible evaluation. Keep the ncaa out of it

thats interesting. I like that idea!

Cal is for anything that will upstage football. He's at one of the few places in the country that occurs. Outside of Kentucky and North Carolina, ratings would be abysmal.

I don't know about abysmal. I think the rating will be good.

Its also intriguing in terms of late season as well. I think potential is great, wish it can happen.

I don't know about abysmal. I think the rating will be good.

Its also intriguing in terms of late season as well. I think potential is great, wish it can happen.

College basketball is pretty much a four week sport TODAY. Why? Because it only serves a bridge between football, baseball and the NBA playoffs. Competing against the pre-season football hype is an uphill battle at best.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Cal is for anything that will upstage football. He's at one of the few places in the country that occurs. Outside of Kentucky and North Carolina, ratings would be abysmal.
That's just inaccurate. Cal has attempted to help Stoops and bring additional exposure on multiple occasions.

As to your second point: football is still 3 weeks from kickoff and NFL preseason just started. There's only so much news coming out of preseason football practice rn and the majority of it isn't something that takes up TV time.

-let teams start practicing a week earlier
-play a tournament of 16-32 the first week of August.
-This sticks it right in the dead season of sports. NFL hasn't started yet. NBA has ended. MLB isn't in playoff mode yet. NCAAF is a month away.

For god sake, espn has been showing Cornhole, Spikeball, and Tag...yes, competitive TAG on ESPN2 and just now started reruns of the CFB playoffs last year. Yeah, I'll take a highly competitive preseason tournament of the top 16-32 teams in the country while we wait in CFB and the NFL to kickoff.

College basketball is pretty much a four week sport TODAY. Why? Because it only serves a bridge between football, baseball and the NBA playoffs. Competing against the pre-season football hype is an uphill battle at best.

Preseason football isn't going to overwhelm college basketball tournament against top school .That'll be huge excitement .

The bridge you talk about is real games, not preseason talking hype machine.

The perfect summer -time sport would be all-female bikini curling on lemonade ice. I could watch that all day

Preseason football isn't going to overwhelm college basketball tournament against top school .That'll be huge excitement .

The bridge you talk about is real games, not preseason talking hype machine.

Another Kentucky fan who just doesn’t get football - especially in the south.

Nobody watches it in February. What makes you think anybody will tune in in August.

That's just inaccurate. Cal has attempted to help Stoops and bring additional exposure on multiple occasions.

As to your second point: football is still 3 weeks from kickoff and NFL preseason just started. There's only so much news coming out of preseason football practice rn and the majority of it isn't something that takes up TV time.

-This sticks it right in the dead season of sports. NFL hasn't started yet. NBA has ended. MLB isn't in playoff mode yet. NCAAF is a month away.

For god sake, espn has been showing Cornhole, Spikeball, and Tag...yes, competitive TAG on ESPN2 and just now started reruns of the CFB playoffs last year. Yeah, I'll take a highly competitive preseason tournament of the top 16-32 teams in the country while we wait in CFB and the NFL to kickoff.
Don’t forget Dodgeball

Nobody watches it in February. What makes you think anybody will tune in in August.

The problem with this argument is that there is viewership for Marquee game in November or December.

For example UK versus Duke beginning the season will gather good viewership. Your argument is that no one will watch Duke versus UK this season

Not sure why you can't see that's tournament with top team would get respectable viewership.

The problem with this argument is that there is viewership for Marquee game in November or December.

For example UK versus Duke beginning the season will gather good viewership. Your argument is that no one will watch Duke versus UK this season

Not sure why you can't see that's tournament with top team would get respectable viewership.

Because it wouldn’t.

I should take my own advice and not debate a homer.

Why do you keep bringing up football when this tournament would not be competing against it? It isn’t like it’s in the middle of football season it’s in August when not much is happening.

Reactions: WildMoon

Hey genius, if nobody watches it in February, then why is almost every game on TV?

And if the same people who aren't watching it in February (like you) aren't watching in August, what damn difference does it make? The only thing that matters to a TV network is whether MORE people will watch it than anything else they have the possibility of broadcasting, with a cost factor thrown in. That's why ESPN broadcasts so many college basketball games in February, and why having live college basketball games in August, when there is a dearth of live sporting events, isn't a totally crazy idea.

Hell, they're now doing extensive coverage of the NBA summer league, with teams that usually feature 1 or 2 guys who are even going to be on NBA rosters in the fall. I don't see why there would be significantly less interest in getting a sneak peek at all the best college teams and players.

Of course, I wouldn't expect someone like you to take a logical view of any of this, as you clearly prefer to just be a jackass. So proceed with that.

Hey genius, if nobody watches it in February, then why is almost every game on TV?

And if the same people who aren't watching it in February (like you) aren't watching in August, what damn difference does it make? The only thing that matters to a TV network is whether MORE people will watch it than anything else they have the possibility of broadcasting, with a cost factor thrown in. That's why ESPN broadcasts so many college basketball games in February, and why having live college basketball games in August, when there is a dearth of live sporting events, isn't a totally crazy idea.

Hell, they're now doing extensive coverage of the NBA summer league, with teams that usually feature 1 or 2 guys who are even going to be on NBA rosters in the fall. I don't see why there would be significantly less interest in getting a sneak peek at all the best college teams and players.

Of course, I wouldn't expect someone like you to take a logical view of any of this, as you clearly prefer to just be a jackass. So proceed with that.

I actually am taking the logical view unlike the homers in this thread.

I think it would be great. Give teams a chance to get some experience and exposure to the college game. Lets coaches get to see their young players in live game situations.

Nothing else in sports really happening in sports that month. Win-win for college basketball.

Which is why it should start the first week of December when college football ends and we can eliminate conference tournaments (they don't matter for us anyway). Duke and UK should be on ESPN primetime the Tuesday night after CFB conference title games. Makes infinitely more sense. They can do Maui in December too, let those guys go home for Thanksgiving. And they can let teams play up to 4 exhibition game in November against local smaller schools to get ready for the 3.5 month regular season.

One problem I could foresee is selection of participants. The NCAA tournament picks teams based on their season results. A preseason tournament would not have the same criteria for obvious reasons. So, how would the teams be chosen in a way that seems fair enough for everyone?

[laughing] @ competitive tag

Are you kidding me? There is no competition for viewership in August. Are you suggesting that most sports fans would rather watch the Mariners play the Orioles in August? C'mon, I know it wouldn't rival March Madness but it would fill the time from the summer blahs and probably gain respectable ratings. Just a thought, more than what you have offered so far. Football is still a couple of weeks away so that is a no brainer.

Are you kidding me? There is no competition for viewership in August. Are you suggesting that most sports fans would rather watch the Mariners play the Orioles in August? C'mon, I know it wouldn't rival March Madness but it would fill the time from the summer blahs and probably gain respectable ratings. Just a thought, more than what you have offered so far. Football is still a couple of weeks away so that is a no brainer.

No I am not kidding you. Like I said, outside of Kentucky, there will be little to no interest. Thanks for playing.

Which is why it should start the first week of December when college football ends and we can eliminate conference tournaments (they don't matter for us anyway). Duke and UK should be on ESPN primetime the Tuesday night after CFB conference title games. Makes infinitely more sense. They can do Maui in December too, let those guys go home for Thanksgiving. And they can let teams play up to 4 exhibition game in November against local smaller schools to get ready for the 3.5 month regular season.

Bingo

ADVERTISEMENT