ADVERTISEMENT

Thompson cant start game 1!!

Just said on SEC network that Lewis was going first game...

This is the speculation, but I imagine that they haven't really made the decision yet. They don't have to announce it until 1 hour before game time. I don't think there is any way UK has had any time to determine what they will do. Still, that is the most likely thing.

Thompson has to start at some point. In two starts against Louisville he threw a total of 7.2 innings and gave up 7 hits and 7 runs. He walked 9 and struck out 11. I think he is a much better pitcher now than he was against Louisville in the first game. That was 2 months ago and for a freshman growing up that is an eternity. However, this will only be the third game where he has really pitched in a true hostile environment. The other being Florida on the final game of the year, and the first UL game. So, he will have to shake the nerves. I think it will be good to avoid pitching him first just so he can settle into the series a bit and get a feel for the environment before pitching in it.

I think that he would be great to pitch on Saturday if we win Friday. Give him a chance to win the series if he can, but that if we lose we then we can still hand the ball to Hjelle on Sunday and feel very good about it. If we win the first two games (please let this happen!!!!) then Hjelle gets a nice long rest and will be fresh for game 1 in Omaha.

Thompson will pitch no doubt, I would say he and Hjelle will flip flop depending on what happens Friday.

Win and Thompson Saturday
Lose and Thompson Sunday (if necessary)

My thing is win Friday and I would be real tempted to roll Hjelle out there and close the thing out.

Thompson will pitch no doubt, I would say he and Hjelle will flip flop depending on what happens Friday.

My thing is win Friday and I would be real tempted to roll Hjelle out there and close the thing out.

I would too, but it all depends on how Friday goes. If it is a close game and we lose a lot of arms then it might be good to run out Hjelle. If we win big time and Lewis goes deep then it is okay to throw Thompson and then give him a short leash and use Pop, Salow, Schaenzer, and Logue to try to get the win and we still have the third game with Hjelle. If we lose, have to send Hjelle out no matter what.

This is the speculation, but I imagine that they haven't really made the decision yet. They don't have to announce it until 1 hour before game time. I don't think there is any way UK has had any time to determine what they will do. Still, that is the most likely thing.

Thompson has to start at some point. In two starts against Louisville he threw a total of 7.2 innings and gave up 7 hits and 7 runs. He walked 9 and struck out 11. I think he is a much better pitcher now than he was against Louisville in the first game. That was 2 months ago and for a freshman growing up that is an eternity. However, this will only be the third game where he has really pitched in a true hostile environment. The other being Florida on the final game of the year, and the first UL game. So, he will have to shake the nerves. I think it will be good to avoid pitching him first just so he can settle into the series a bit and get a feel for the environment before pitching in it.

I think that he would be great to pitch on Saturday if we win Friday. Give him a chance to win the series if he can, but that if we lose we then we can still hand the ball to Hjelle on Sunday and feel very good about it. If we win the first two games (please let this happen!!!!) then Hjelle gets a nice long rest and will be fresh for game 1 in Omaha.
I thought the same, but talked like it was a given.

It likely is a given. I think technically Hjelle could go on Friday, but I think they'll be just a bit safer with him.

Gotta win first game. Big pressure on loser in game two. Don't think Cats can win two games in a row in Louisville.

Thompson is going game 1. I see both sides - he has a plus fastball and plus curve. He has pro quality pitches...but UL has seen him for 6-8 abs. Tough call. If he has his A game though it'll play no matter how many times someone has seen him.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat

That's what I've been thinking to. Of course I know exactly zero about managing a college baseball super regional.

Zach Thompson is going to start game 1 against Kade McClure. McClure is 7-3 with a 3.63 era. Hitters hit .224 against him. It looks like McKay vs Hjelle will be pushed back to Saturday.

That is a pretty interesting development. I kind like Thompson in game one. I like our chances with that. Thompson has pitched extremely well lately and currently has the lowest ERA on our team. It won't be easy for the freshman, but I have some confidence in him. He just needs to throw strikes and we will be in the game. Avoid walks and you usually have a chance.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
Maybe their mind set in shaking the nerves is that the crowd Friday may be slightly less intimidating than Saturday..

Either way, I'm excited. We can win this series. No doubts. Louisville is good but not the powerful team their fans seem to think IMO

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I assumed Mccay would pitch the first game for UL, and therefore you save Hjelle for sat, so he doesn't go head to head with Mccay. But now that Mccay is going Saturday, could we switch and let Hjelle pitch Fri?

Thompson is a cool customer on the mound, he is not your typical freshman in his make up. He is really tough when his secondary pitches, curve and slider, are on, that makes him a 3 pitch pitcher, and some of the Cards best hitter bat from the left side.
On a side note in 2014, freshman Logan Salow pitched 6 terrific innings against UofL in a regional final game !

Zach Thompson is going to start game 1 against Kade McClure. McClure is 7-3 with a 3.63 era. Hitters hit .224 against him. It looks like McKay vs Hjelle will be pushed back to Saturday.
McClure is a Jr. Righty who is 6'7 230lbs. Our lefty hitters are going to have an advantage IMO, this probably will mean Squires will catch, and Cottam will DH. That would give us 6 lefty hitters and 3 righty hitters, White, Cottam, and Heady.

I like it. I think the pitching matchup favors us. Thompson has been really strong lately and is a better pitcher now than the last time UL bats saw him and we get to face a righty. If we put up 6+ runs we should win IMO

Thompson was an 11th round draft pick last June, we are lucky to have him, plus he has almost as much rest as Lewis, Sat night vs. Sunday at noon. I am fine with the decision.

Think UL is making a mistake though, I would put my best guy out there if available to get the best possible chance of a W in game one.

Thompson was an 11th round draft pick last June, we are lucky to have him, plus he has almost as much rest as Lewis, Sat night vs. Sunday at noon. I am fine with the decision.

Think UL is making a mistake though, I would put my best guy out there if available to get the best possible chance of a W in game one.

I don't know if I would call it a mistake, but I agree that I would put my best guy out there first. Here is the thing... UK is technically putting their best guy out there in terms of ERA. However, for ERA purposes, the two are pretty similar, hanging around 3.50-3.65 in ERAs. Both teams have excellent pitching, so I suppose it makes some sense that they can interchange who goes in what order, but if I am UL and I have the option, I'd throw out all the stops to get game one. UK doesn't have that luxury after this past weekend.

So you think we can games 1 and 3 but not 2 and 3?

I think when your back is against the wall and you have to win 2 games in a row it is much more difficult. You win game 1 and the pressure is on the other team to win 2 in a row because they have to. We can certainly win 2 games this weekend, but having to do so on Saturday and Sunday is much harder than winning on Friday and then having two games to win one.

I think when your back is against the wall and you have to win 2 games in a row it is much more difficult. You win game 1 and the pressure is on the other team to win 2 in a row because they have to. We can certainly win 2 games this weekend, but having to do so on Saturday and Sunday is much harder than winning on Friday and then having two games to win one.
Today was a horrible game "team wise" ...pitching was pretty good (except Logue shouldn't be pitching in that situation) with walks and hbp, not alert on the base paths, errors and last , but certainly not least...coaching. I had a calf when Logue was brought in in that situation and pulling Carson for Collett was just indefensible! Made absolutely no sense with the way Carson has been hitting the ball. A homerun wasnt a necessity in that situation and besides Carson is more than capable...Oh well, on to tomorrow.

Today was a horrible game "team wise" ...pitching was pretty good (except Logue shouldn't be pitching in that situation) with walks and hbp, not alert on the base paths, errors and last , but certainly not least...coaching. I had a calf when Logue was brought in in that situation and pulling Carson for Collett was just indefensible! Made absolutely no sense with the way Carson has been hitting the ball. A homerun wasnt a necessity in that situation and besides Carson is more than capable...Oh well, on to tomorrow.

Collett was great for power, but I thought the Senior Carson was the answer. A double in the gap would have made this a 5-4 game with the tying run on second. A HR was not necessary. Of course, Carson did make mistakes earlier, but he tends to respond. I was calling for a double in the gap; we didn't need HRs in the Ohio and last NC-State wins. Why was Logue pitching? Yikes.

I don't mind Logue decision. However, if we can use Pop that was the place to do it. Machamer and Logue both struggled with control. That's what hurt so much. Failure to throw strikes.

What we should have done

I assumed Mccay would pitch the first game for UL, and therefore you save Hjelle for sat, so he doesn't go head to head with Mccay. But now that Mccay is going Saturday, could we switch and let Hjelle pitch Fri?

We did it in the Regionals, we can do it now.

ADVERTISEMENT