ADVERTISEMENT

This year was a fluke...

Cat Ballou

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2007
First of all,it was just a really weak recruiting class over all. There were maybe a dozen or so NBA caliber guys out there and we got two of them, and I think Matthews could eventually develop in to a third after a couple of years.

Of those NBA prospects, you had two guys in Newman and Brown who were somewhat "unique" personalities, and I think ultimately both those guys made the best choice for their particular personality. Newman will be the center of attention and "the man" at Miss State next year, and Brown will get to hang out at a hip, liberal, free-spirited college community for a year - while playing a little basketball.

What ultimately derailed our recruiting is the fact that I think Zimmerman probably gave the staff some false assurance that he was coming here - and therefore we didn't prioritize Diallo until it was too late. No indictment of Zimm - he's a teenager with a lot of people tugging at him, and has a right to be conflicted - but I think the staff was a little overly complacent.

The second thing that derailed us is the fact the - other than Brown - the only great SF available out there was Ingram - a guy who was going to be almost impossible to dislodge from North Carolina.

Next year will be different, and all of the negative types out there just need to be profoundly grateful that Briscoe had the balls to sign with us without knowing who would be leaving, Skal was loyal to us despite all the people trying to push him to Memphis, Matthews wanted to play with his bud, and Mulder was still available late.

Reactions: brianpoe
The only thing that derailed this class is the likely scenario of Cal going to the NBA, wait and see...

If Coach Cal was going to go to the NBA he would have taken the Cleveland job last year and sure as hell would have tried to get in line for the OKC job.

The only thing that derailed this class is the likely scenario of Cal going to the NBA, wait and see...

You willing to wager your posting privileges on that? Or are you just running your mouth?

A fluke from what .. seems to me there are never any two years that are the same. With Cal's approach it's just going to be that way. Other schools are adjusting to what UK is doing as well. There's not going to be a standard year. Just get as many good ones as you can, There are no guarantees.

First of all,it was just a really weak recruiting class over all. There were maybe a dozen or so NBA caliber guys out there and we got two of them, and I think Matthews could eventually develop in to a third after a couple of years.

Of those NBA prospects, you had two guys in Newman and Brown who were somewhat "unique" personalities, and I think ultimately both those guys made the best choice for their particular personality. Newman will be the center of attention and "the man" at Miss State next year, and Brown will get to hang out at a hip, liberal, free-spirited college community for a year - while playing a little basketball.

What ultimately derailed our recruiting is the fact that I think Zimmerman probably gave the staff some false assurance that he was coming here - and therefore we didn't prioritize Diallo until it was too late. No indictment of Zimm - he's a teenager with a lot of people tugging at him, and has a right to be conflicted - but I think the staff was a little overly complacent.

The second thing that derailed us is the fact the - other than Brown - the only great SF available out there was Ingram - a guy who was going to be almost impossible to dislodge from North Carolina.

Next year will be different, and all of the negative types out there just need to be profoundly grateful that Briscoe had the balls to sign with us without knowing who would be leaving, Skal was loyal to us despite all the people trying to push him to Memphis, Matthews wanted to play with his bud, and Mulder was still available late.

Your dealt a hand play it! Go Big Blue

Out there where? In the world that you are in or in reality? You could at least be kind enough to post some sort of link to an article that says Cal to the NBA instead of saying its the word on the street

Mock all you want...do you own research, I'm here to give opinions and info, not hold your hand.

Mock all you want...do you own research, I'm here to give opinions and info, not hold your hand.
IMO, your opinion is wrong this time. I can't recall a single report that Cal was going to a certain NBA team this year. Furthermore, I don't believe it is entirely a "fluke". If Cal doesn't improve his offensive scheme, we could see more years like this. We still got some great recruits, just not as many as Cal wanted.

I'm glad the recruits went to schools that don't really have a chance in March.

IMO, your opinion is wrong this time. I can't recall a single report that Cal was going to a certain NBA team this year. Furthermore, I don't believe it is entirely a "fluke". If Cal doesn't improve his offensive scheme, we could see more years like this. We still got some great recruits, just not as many as Cal wanted.

I could be wrong, you are right nothing out there is 100% he would go...a lot saying it's likely or at the least a good possibility.

Agree that Cal needs to change a few things, I think it's more about prepping for the other team. He openly says he doesn't watch a lot of film with the players, and he's more concerned with his team than stopping the other. Well, that nearly got us beat vs. ND and did get us beat vs. Wisc. and UCONN last year.

I agree that many things contributed to what has happened this recruiting season. Was it a weak class? Yes. Did Cal expect some guys back that left? Yes. Were there some unique personalities? Yes. Underachievement (although I don't really feel this way)...platoon system...Cal's offense...negative recruiting (such as those rumors of Cal leaving again)...coaching moves...guys coming back...guys already committed...I thing all of these things played their part. Is this a fluke? Can't really say that as I don't know what the baseline or typical year is like. They are always different. In short, I think we are probably all right to an extent.

Agree that Cal needs to change a few things, I think it's more about prepping for the other team. He openly says he doesn't watch a lot of film with the players, and he's more concerned with his team than stopping the other. Well, that nearly got us beat vs. ND and did get us beat vs. Wisc. and UCONN last year.

But he's leaving for the NBA so none of this matters, right?

But he's leaving for the NBA so none of this matters, right?

But he's not leaving for the NBA so all of this matters, right?

No reason to get all salty. I clearly stated that's my opinion, I'm not saying it's 100% by any means. But go ahead and interpret however it fits into your agenda.

Out there where? In the world that you are in or in reality? You could at least be kind enough to post some sort of link to an article that says Cal to the NBA instead of saying its the word on the street

He was just expressing an opinion like about what everybody else does on a message board. And it IS out there if you just open your eyes
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-desperately-wants-to-coach-in-the-nba-again/
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/ptis-michael-wilbon-thinks-cal-is-nba-bound/

I could be wrong, you are right nothing out there is 100% he would go...a lot saying it's likely or at the least a good possibility.

No, not making a shot got UK beat against Wisconsin, in addition to the horrific one sidded officiating down the stretch that went against UK.

And I'm also pretty sure UK held UCONN to 60 points...so not "stopping them" is not why UK lost the game. Just like the Wisconsin game this year, it was the inability to outscore the other team in the 2nd half that killed UK and cost them the title or a title shot.

He was just expressing an opinion like about what everybody else does on a message board. And it IS out there if you just open your eyes
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-desperately-wants-to-coach-in-the-nba-again/
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/ptis-michael-wilbon-thinks-cal-is-nba-bound/

Wilbon basically guaranteed Cal would leave last year. Wojnarowski has done the same thing several years in a row just a few years bac. This rumor gets bandied about every single year, so you can choose to think he is likely gone every single year based on those rumors. He hasn't left yet, but i guess the rumors will be right one of the these years, right?

Likely huh? And you are basing this on what?

Yeah, this is textbook trolling.

Starts a rumor about our coach. Says it's "likely" that he'll leave. Says "wait and see."

To me, that implies near certainty. How bout you?

When pressed for a source, criticize. "It's out there...do your research."

Then, backed against the wall it becomes only his "opinion."

How is this anything but trolling and agenda posting? Never have understood why foolishness like this is tolerated on this board for as long as it is.

Yeah, this is textbook trolling.

Starts a rumor about our coach. Says it's "likely" that he'll leave. Says "wait and see."

To me, that implies near certainty. How bout you?

When pressed for a source, criticize. "It's out there...do your research."

Then, backed against the wall it becomes only his "opinion."

How is this anything but trolling and agenda posting? Never have understood why foolishness like this is tolerated on this board for as long as it is.

So the fact that Cal openly said he would have taken a NBA job it it hadn't been for all the players coming back means nothing? The fact that ALL players left this year means nothing, and that we missed out on recruits we usually get? Oh, and the fact that Chicago is firing Thibs regardless of what happens this season? Oh, and that Cal is very close to Rose, Chicago is AD's hometown, and the Bulls have a roster that is winning now vs. a rebuilding job? Or, look at Cleveland...the players don't respect Blatt at all, if they don't win this year he's probably fired. Lebron loves Cal and the Cavs made an offer to him last year. Love leaves and that opens up a spot for another superstar to come in, Love stays and they still have 3 superstars and are setup to own the east for the next few years.

Anything starting to add up here for you, or should a whip out a calculator...

No, not making a shot got UK beat against Wisconsin, in addition to the horrific one sidded officiating down the stretch that went against UK.

And I'm also pretty sure UK held UCONN to 60 points...so not "stopping them" is not why UK lost the game. Just like the Wisconsin game this year, it was the inability to outscore the other team in the 2nd half that killed UK and cost them the title or a title shot.

Not stopping UCONN guards is what got us beat...other teams planned around them (UL pasted them by 30).

Not calling TO and settling team down when we were airballing shots is what helped get us beat vs. Wisc, not pushing the tempo hurt....also allowing Frank K and Dekker to play their game killed us. Look at what Duke did to those guys.

Cal is a really good coach, love him here....but with our roster and experience you don't lose that game. K, Izzo, Pitino don't lose those games.

Not stopping UCONN guards is what got us beat...other teams planned around them (UL pasted them by 30).

Not calling TO and settling team down when we were airballing shots is what helped get us beat vs. Wisc, not pushing the tempo hurt....also allowing Frank K and Dekker to play their game killed us. Look at what Duke did to those guys.

Cal is a really good coach, love him here....but with our roster and experience you don't lose that game. K, Izzo, Pitino don't lose those games.

Heisenberg, I am uncertain if you are a UK fan (physics joke).

And I am an IU fan (as most would know), but thinking that UK lost to Wisconsin because of coaching is foolhardy.

On that night Wisconsin was the better team, and on any night their offense did not match up well for UK's defense to be effective.

You cannot change a defensive philosophy that got you to 38-0 on a dime, so the switches were going to happen, leaving UK vulnerable to a hot Dekker and strong Frank K.

Unfortunatley for the Cats, they needed Booker in for offense, and out on defense. Since this isn't Iowa girls HS basketball in the 80's, you can't have that.

I think Cal's coaching patience got UK back in the game; and I think a major shift would have been disastrous.

Sometimes, you just lose.

Of that I am certain.

Cal's top two targets (misses) both stayed home
Zimmerman
Newman

we have a great class coming in, and are returning some great players

i have always said that there are 3 types of fans
the sunshine homers
the reality homers
the negative homers

Heisenberg, I am uncertain if you are a UK fan (physics joke).

And I am an IU fan (as most would know), but thinking that UK lost to Wisconsin because of coaching is foolhardy.

On that night Wisconsin was the better team, and on any night their offense did not match up well for UK's defense to be effective.

You cannot change a defensive philosophy that got you to 38-0 on a dime, so the switches were going to happen, leaving UK vulnerable to a hot Dekker and strong Frank K.

Unfortunatley for the Cats, they needed Booker in for offense, and out on defense. Since this isn't Iowa girls HS basketball in the 80's, you can't have that.

I think Cal's coaching patience got UK back in the game; and I think a major shift would have been disastrous.

Sometimes, you just lose.

Of that I am certain.

I am for sure a fan (and alum, class of 2000, FB season ticket holder, wanna be basketballs season ticket holder).

I see your point, and agree it's hard to question coaching tactics on a team that went undefeated 99% of the year.

But, I think we can all admit it's not like we were destroying teams, and won a LOT of close games vs. teams that shouldn't have been within 10 points.

You are right, when you get to the last couple of games, it really can go either way. Was UK a better team than Wisc? I think so, and on 6 or 7 games out of 10 the outcome would have shown it. That being said, in these big games (especially in college), coaching is crucial. Players have to make plays (WCS didn't show up), but coaches have to prepare them and put them in a position to do so.

Watching the ND game, you could just tell these guys were not prepped for the back-door cuts and screens..and that almost (probably should) have got us beat.

I won't put the Wisc loss solely on Cal, you win and lose as a team, but he did have a big hand in it and should take a large share of the blame.

I see lots of speculation.

I also see how excited you are at the prospect.

Likely means highly probable and indicates a great degree of certainty.

Adding the emphasis of "wait and see" bolsters the notion that you intended to present the prospect as nearly certain.

I see now that you are mostly speculative and hopeful. Maybe you will luck out. Cal will "certainly" leave at some point. Guess enough and one of these years you will be right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT