ADVERTISEMENT

This will give you chills

I made a trip to see the statue about a year, ago.

That was a powerful message.
For last year's Florida game my buddy had one of the young gentleman that he goes to church with went to the game with us...he is from Fla , is black working in their youth ministry and going to the seminary... After catwalk he and I were walking around and I was showing him the new practice facility and we went by the statues . I explained the origin behind them . He was impressed and had no idea that UK had integrated the league in fb...said he would always root for UK after that .

How we went decades without barely a mention much less recruited with that story as the number 1 go to pitch is beyond me. Glad the last couple of years it’s finally becoming part of our history.

BTW Greg Page was recruited by UK by a coach named Homer Rice, coach Rice leaves for Oklahoma before Greg signs, the family decides Greg should follow Coach Rice to Oklahoma. Coach Rice says that Greg is too important in terms of history of UK and the SEC and tells them to stick with the commitment to UK.

Different times, different people,

Dave

While UK was recruiting Page and Northington, Governor George Wallace was blocking blacks from entering University Alabama and Bull Conners was using fire hoses and turning dogs against them. That’s why I don’t think those that experienced that treatment would be happy to know young players snubbing UK to go to Alabama.

without apologies to our Deep South conference fellows.

The traditionally white Masonic Lodges in Kentucky [F & A M], and the traditionally African American Lodges [Prince Hall] finally joined forces, whilst retaining their individual lodges, in 2017.

I ran into a member of my traditionally "white" Lodge, and he asked "but what about the old-timers?"

I said, "the old-timers were wrong . . . . . . . .wrong . . . . . . . wrong!!!!!!"

Most people don't realize it, but the slurs, slings and arrows absorbed by heros like Jackie Robinson, Houston Hogg, Greg Page, Northington and others, still serve as guideposts to a better and fairer society.

The traditionally white Masonic Lodges in Kentucky [F & A M], and the traditionally African American Lodges [Prince Hall] finally joined forces, whilst retaining their individual lodges, in 2017.

I ran into a member of my traditionally "white" Lodge, and he asked "but what about the old-timers?"

I said, "the old-timers were wrong . . . . . . . .wrong . . . . . . . wrong!!!!!!"

Most people don't realize it, but the slurs, slings and arrows absorbed by heros like Jackie Robinson, Houston Hogg, Greg Page, Northington and others, still serve as guideposts to a better and fairer society.
Very true.

I always thought Perry Wallace at Vandy broke the SEC hoops color barrier.

Paul Kareem.

He was the driving force behind the SEC that UK WAS first in football. Not Tennessee with Conredge Holloway or Alabama's Sylvester Croom...They always talked about those two or others...never even thought about Kentucky? Oh yeah....we did break it.

I appreciate Paul Kareem taking the stand.

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul a few months back. I drive for Uber part-time and drove up to Paul’s house not knowing who he was. The first thing he noticed were my uk seat covers and then he introduced himself as a former uk qb. He told me about how he was involved in getting those statues built and his movie. I told him that my family was friends with the Hackett family. I then proceeded to tell him a story Wilbur sr once shared with me. Paul replied “it’s in the movie.”
In the short time I spent with Paul I can tell you he is a stand up guy that truely believes in what he says. I’m glad coach stoops has guys like him around the program! The OLD FOUNDATION is being rebuilt around this program. The wins will follow! I really think this is the year we break through. IMO this will be the best uk team we have seen since those 70s teams. The pieces are all there!

ADVERTISEMENT