ADVERTISEMENT

This will be coach K's last year

spotter34

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2002
I believe he will retire after this season, championship or not. Reasons? I think he was ready to retire after last season if that team had lived up to their early season ranking. I think what kept him from it was losing in the first weekend of the NCAA tournament, realizing Allen was coming back, knowing they had a good recruiting class coming in, and then realizing they had a legit shot at Bagley if he decided to reclassify.

Now he has a legit shot to end up on top like Wooden did and he knows deep down if he gets to the FF the championship will be his. No way he'll be denied that ending to his career by the powers that be. Saying that, I think he'll retire regardless because next years team will be weak compared to the last two seasons. They will virtually lose their whole starting five, outside of maybe Trent. Bolden will transfer because of no PT this year. K would have to stick around for a couple of more years to even have a shot at a FF or championship. I can't see him committing to that and I can't see him sitting through next season and then retiring with no fan fare and another early exit from the tourney.

Nope, this will be it. He'll never get another player like Bagley, especially in the next 2-3 years. Allen is the epitome of a SR player familiar with the "dUKe way". This is it.

I think he'll announce it after the regular season, before the ACC tourney so he can start benefiting from it right away. Then he will get the dream path (even compared with their usual easy path) to a FF. Then ladies and gentlemen, place your bets. dUKe will walk away with the title! The biggest problem in their path is having chemistry issues that will keep them from getting a 1 or 2 seed. Then it's harder to pave them an easy road, they'll still try, but it will be more difficult. Regardless, he's done after this year.

I think he'll announce it after the regular season, before the ACC tourney so he can start benefiting from it right away. Then he will get the dream path (even compared with their usual easy path) to a FF. Then ladies and gentlemen, place your bets. dUKe will walk away with the title! The biggest problem in their path is having chemistry issues that will keep them from getting a 1 or 2 seed. Then it's harder to pave them an easy road, they'll still try, but it will be more difficult. Regardless, he's done after this year.
I agree he will announce it beforehand. That way it's the K show, and he's the talk of college hoops. If duke looks good during the season, I could easily see the situation playing out like you said. If not, a back issue will flare up and he'll wait for the next time. But K will make sure everyone knows that he's retiring and this is it for him.

After UNC won this year, I told myself there's no way K is going out without winning one more. The NCAA will see to it to send him out on top.[sick]

Reactions: Primedfor9
**** balls...this all sounds like exactly what that rat could do.
Imagine we are playing them in the title game with already announcing his retirement.
the powers that be would make sure he walks away on top.

I agree he will announce it beforehand. That way it's the K show, and he's the talk of college hoops. If duke looks good during the season, I could easily see the situation playing out like you said. If not, a back issue will flare up and he'll wait for the next time. But K will make sure everyone knows that he's retiring and this is it for him.

After UNC won this year, I told myself there's no way K is going out without winning one more. The NCAA will see to it to send him out on top.[sick]
Yep, completely agree.

You guys obsessing over Coach K should focus more on Cal and his lost opportunities. Another championship for Duke this season and he will still keep coaching.

Nope not if he wins it all this year. If he let's it be known off the record to the ncaa that this or any year might be his last u might as well quarantee a title. For that season

You guys obsessing over Coach K should focus more on Cal and his lost opportunities. Another championship for Duke this season and he will still keep coaching.
Awe do we have another weak ass troll? Lmao? Hate when they arent even capable of intelligent arguement. Hey dude here is how you troll. Duvall on the all star circuit looked like the 4 best pg and truth be told if u count the hoop summit and the derby classic maybe the 5th best pg prospect. Obvious case the same as Trent of reaching their physical peak before the other hs kids Trent was down like 10 spots on the last ranking. Isn't Wendel Carter the same player who said he was going to use the school he signs with the same way they use me. The same Carter who had the world team playing even with us til they benched him at the world games put Vanderbilt in and just like that USA was plus 15. Of course they have a second year bolden who couldn't even beat hs kids out of for a position in team USA. Heard he was winded a couple times up the court. then there is Bagley 3 different hs teams and an AAU team where he got his stats but his AAU team got their ass handed to them game after game. Lol see thats how its done and everything I said was even true

No way, I think he will stay 5-7 years minimum.
Absolutely, He and his buddy Vitale will have to be dragged out of their offices kicking and screaming. Many on this board predicted he'd retire after his last championship. Wishful thinking.

He physically won't be able to coax more than a year or two. His body is failing him, which is fairly common in your 70s. Honestly he's mostly a figurehead at this point anyway. All he does is yell at refs. If be surprised if he were heavily involved in practices.

Nothing would make me happier than to meet them in the title game, see the fix all around us, and ruin it completely by just making shots.

I live in the area and have the splendid opportunity to hear about Duke at an uncomfortably frequent rate. 2 years seems to be the talking point for a lot of folks, media, fans, rival haters, etc. Quality of life in retirement and what not? Dude is basically a cyborg by this point.

I see three more years for K. He doesn't need to work all the time like he used to. He has been established as the best coach and school by the MSM. He now gets the most top 5 recruits without beating the summer circuit like Cal. Whether he or Duke are really the best, who knows. But perception is sometimes greater than reality. I love the way Cal does things. He gets more out of his frosh than K does. We don't recruit troublemakers, the academically questionable, and don't rely on an overdose of transfers. He will always have is in the hunt and do so with integrity.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Unfortunately, I still think he has a few years left. But his health is clearly on the decline.. And all these guys are gone next season. He has firmly put himself in the all-fresmna camp, which is a huge difference from the 21/22-year olds in guys like Cook, Scheyer and Singler. The game is going to be much more taxing on him.

Duke winning the title would suck next season, but let's say they did.. what about next year? No Allen, Bagley, Duval, Carter.. Trent blows, he'll be back, but does Bolden, snubbed once again, come back? He's going to have to reload AND win, the latter in which, so far, he sucks at.

When Krychefski does announce his retirement, an NBA All-Star won't be able to beat them in the NCAAT that year...

He is only 192 years later old. If I met coach I I would ask him it was like when Lincoln was shot. As for retiring he will announce atleast a year prior. He wants the parade as well as the ceremony for each place he visits to kiss his ass and tell him how great it was he beat the elons of the world by 50. Even when coach k is dead and gone at the age of 500 they will have his urn do the coaching since capel will fail miserably.

I believe he will retire after this season, championship or not. Reasons? I think he was ready to retire after last season if that team had lived up to their early season ranking. I think what kept him from it was losing in the first weekend of the NCAA tournament, realizing Allen was coming back, knowing they had a good recruiting class coming in, and then realizing they had a legit shot at Bagley if he decided to reclassify.

Now he has a legit shot to end up on top like Wooden did and he knows deep down if he gets to the FF the championship will be his. No way he'll be denied that ending to his career by the powers that be. Saying that, I think he'll retire regardless because next years team will be weak compared to the last two seasons. They will virtually lose their whole starting five, outside of maybe Trent. Bolden will transfer because of no PT this year. K would have to stick around for a couple of more years to even have a shot at a FF or championship. I can't see him committing to that and I can't see him sitting through next season and then retiring with no fan fare and another early exit from the tourney.

Nope, this will be it. He'll never get another player like Bagley, especially in the next 2-3 years. Allen is the epitome of a SR player familiar with the "dUKe way". This is it.

"No way he'll be denied that ending to his career by the powers that be."

If that's the case, the NCAA is more than corrupt; rather, it's about as corrupt as any organization there is and that's saying a lot. Will Cal, Roy, Sean Miller, Jay Wright, Self and other coaches tell their squads that if they make it to a FF with Duke in it as well that the NC has already been decided? Yeah, I know how badly UK got screwed against Wooden's UCLA team in the 75 final, but the sport is a complete farce if the above quote is true - and the worst part is that it may be.

"No way he'll be denied that ending to his career by the powers that be."

If that's the case, the NCAA is more than corrupt; rather, it's about as corrupt as any organization there is and that's saying a lot. Will Cal, Roy, Sean Miller, Jay Wright, Self and other coaches tell their squads that if they make it to a FF with Duke in it as well that the NC has already been decided? Yeah, I know how badly UK got screwed against Wooden's UCLA team in the 75 final, but the sport is a complete farce if the above quote is true - and the worst part is that it may be.
I guess the sport is a complete farce then. Just can't see "them" allowing K to go out with a Loss. JMO.

Haha! Exactly what I had in mind!! I would do it but it wouldn't look very good. Surely somebody with some skills could do it.
I go a little farther back but same idea.

K_Pike.jpg

He's going to coach until he physically can't.

I believe his goal is to win another title and rack up as many wins as he can so his record will never be broken.
Agree agree wii coach as long as he is physically able and at his age who knows when that will be.

Hell I figure he will announce he is retiring at the start of the year so they will go unbeaten and get to play all their games inside North Carolina including the NCAA tournament. It will be unbearable to hear the slurp fest about that ole hypocrite from the ESPN/DUKE announcers all year when it does happen. Yep may have to skip that year of collage basketball totally.

He is too "classy" to announce himself and look like the self absorbed piece of crap he is so instead he will have Capel leak it to Goodman and Seth Davis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT