ADVERTISEMENT

This team is to talented to not make the NCAA Tournament all together

uksam21

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2013
I didn't have expectations for this team to win the national championship or even win the SEC regular season title. But I also didn't have expectations to be sitting 17-9 and 6-7 in a conference we have dominated for 80 plus years.

This team is too talented to be in the position they are right now. The problem is the talented players take possessions off or in Diallo's case whole games off and that is what cancels out the talent on this team. I want somebody to please tell me how I overlook Knox pouting and not taking a damn shot the last 13 minutes. That is unacceptable and I think the team fed off that.

They are talented but they seem to have a low basketball IQ.

Getting into the tournament isn't based on talent but purely on what you've done during the year. Usually the two go hand in hand but this year with us it might not.

They are talented but they seem to have a low basketball IQ.

Getting into the tournament isn't based on talent but purely on what you've done during the year. Usually the two go hand in hand but this year with us it might not.

While I agree with you I still think we have too good of players to not make the tournament. Maybe the basketball IQ cancels that out. Just disappointing all the way around.

I don't agree that this team has underperformed based on their "talent." If by talent you mean a high current skill level, then I don't think this team has an overabundance of "talent." Now, if by talent you mean future potential based on athleticism and measurable, I agree this team has that. But that in no way means they should currently be a top college team.

In addition, the pieces on this team don't fit well, in my opinion. You have two freshmen PGs who are not ready (skill wise) to lead a team full of PFs toward being an effective or efficient offensive group. These players are just not skilled enough offensively at this point to be a good team.

I don't agree that this team has underperformed based on their "talent." If by talent you mean a high current skill level, then I don't think this team has an overabundance of "talent." Now, if by talent you mean future potential based on athleticism and measurable, I agree this team has that. But that in no way means they should currently be a top college team.

In addition, the pieces on this team don't fit well, in my opinion. You have two freshmen PGs who are not ready (skill wise) to lead a team full of PFs toward being an effective or efficient offensive group. These players are just not skilled enough offensively at this point to be a good team.
If we would actually run some plays or have an identify we could be good on offense.

We have some athletes but very few skilled basketball players. We have guys that apparently can't take more than 2 - 3 dribbles without losing the ball and guys that can't put the ball in the basket from 5 feet away. And let's not talk about block outs.

If we would actually run some plays or have an identify we could be good on offense.
I'm sorry. I don't think that is even close to being true.

A team full of HOF coaches might come in and cover up enough deficiencies and use enough gimmicks to get them to the point of often looking mediocre on offense. But "good"? I don't see any evidence of that on an individual basis. But give them another year or two and a few more missing pieces, and I think they could be fine.

Reactions: uksam21
ADVERTISEMENT