ADVERTISEMENT

This may be a moot point....

CloverforkCat

Junior
Jun 3, 2013
if we do indeed sneak into the NCAA tournament, but if we don't, looking ahead to 2016 here is what could shake out.
We know we lose Bernal, Jack, and Nelson all seniors, we most probably will lose Tom,Cody, and Barrett to the MLB draft.
We could possibly lose Beggs, although he faded somewhat down the stretch, losing badly to UGA and Mizzou.
Our top returning players are Shelby, White, Hairston, Wilson, Fettes, Arnold, Heady, Carson, and Mahan. On the mound we return Brown, maybe Beggs, Salow, Strecker, Dwyer, Logue, Wilson, Pop, Zeigler etc.
We have an outstanding freshmen class coming in, IF we don't lose 2 or 3 to the MLB draft. If they all wind up on campus, it could be a pretty exciting season.
All 3 phases of the game must improve, pitching ( ERA way too high ) hitting ( Timely hits, and leaving way too many runners on base ) and defense ( 67 errors, most in the SEC, physical and mental errors must improve ) Of the returning rookies, White has the highest ceiling, Logue, Mahan, and Shenzer all have fine potential. Of the upper classmen, Shelby, Fettes, Arnold, Carson, and Storm Wilson are all capable, Heady really needs to work on his hitting, or he may lose his position to Nick Shumpert, a 5 tool all-star HS player.
Pitching will be led by Z Brown, and maybe D Beggs, Dwyer, Salow, Logue, Pop, and Zeigler may improve enough to claim a starters role. We also RS a couple of pitchers, who may surprise.

Oops, I thought Z Brown was a soph. He is a junior. We could lose all 3 weekend starters, I frankly don't know how we would overcome that. Someone would have to step up Big time, and I am not sure who that would be.

I doubt Brown is drafted high enough to leave. As for Shumpert, I dont see how he comes to campus as he'l lbe a top 10 pick in the draft. I guess if he really really wants to play for UK then he'd come. If he does come then I'd think he would be a day 1 starter at SS.

I've been pleasantly surprised in recent years that UK has had kids step up following the loss of key players. That being said, if UK loses 2 or 3 of its weekend starters, UK could be looking at a very rough season. From performances this year, it's tough to envision which relievers or midweek guys could improve enough to be a weekend started in the brutal SEC. And as bad as UK's bullpen has been this season and as much discussion as there has been re same, UK also really struggled to score runs late in the year. They will likely lose Barrett and Tom, clearly two of their best. Just not much production outside of those two and Shelby and White, so it's tough to see the Cats being able to consistently generate runs next season either. This program needs an infusion of talent across the board, IMO.

Well, I figure I will try to a breakdown, but it is way too early to really tell:

Infield:
1B - Evan White
2B - JaVon Shelby
3B - Riley Mahan
SS - Connor Heady
C - Greg Fettes

Possible new contributors:
Nicholas Shumpert - If the right handed short stop comes here there is no way he does not play. He is possibly a top 5 draft pick and that will be hard to turn down, but if he heads to UK we should all kiss his father's feet. haha
Travis Blankenhorn - Another big time SS prospect that could possibly make his way to Lexington. Odds once again are not in our favor, but it is possible. He might take the plays of Heady/Mahan at 3rd.
Isaiah Lewis - Another SS. He is much less heralded, but looks to be a good prospect. He is a switch hitter that could help to add some speed and depth to our infield.
Kyle Cottam - Don't know much about Kyle to be honest. He plays pretty close to my hometown, but baseball doesn't get much air time in this area. Have to imagine that he redshirts considering how Henderson favors older and more experienced catchers.

Well, with this infield we need to find someone who can provided us a bit more consistent power. Shelby was the leading power hitter on the team with 9 home runs. Fettes has to improve his bat, IMO, because his defense is not good enough to warrant him being on the field without a solid bat. Zach Arnold hit will this season, but I think he needs to improve his defense in order to see the field.

Outfield:
Storm Wilson
Dorian Hairston
Marcus Carson

Possible contributors:
Bryce Bastien - A JUCO transfer that played very little this year. He actually walked onto the team.
Nick Plummer - Plummer is a kid who has improved significantly and scouts have been extremely impressed with his batting ability. He could go very early in the draft, and it might be unlikely he makes it to UK.
Tristian Pompey - Pompey is a tall outfielder and the brother of major leaguer Dalton Pompey. He hails from Canada, where UK has had some success in picking up players in the past. He is extremely fast and hits for contact well. He could find a home in center if he comes to UK.

Not a lot of quality here in my opinion. Wilson and Carson both struggled this year. Storm has the talent, but needs to shake off his slump. Hairston didn't find much time in the field this year so it will be interesting to see how good he does defensively. Yes, I know we could get Barrett and Tom back, but they did extremely well this year so I don't see that happening. It is also technically possible that Shelby moves into the outfield and makes room for one of those extremely talented newcomers in the infield.

Pitching:
Zack Brown

Possible Contributors:
Dustin Beggs - I don't see him coming back, but I will put him here
Kyle Cody - Let's be honest... he's gone. He had a rough year this year, but he is such a great projectable talent that he'll head to the MLB. I added him only because he struggled this year.
Andrew Nelson - Struggled this year, but he might have to find his way back to the weekend rotation simply for lack of having arms.
Zach Logue - Had some good games, but never really found a consistent grove.
Zach Pop - Started a couple games, but like Logue he never really found any consistent success on the mound to start. Has a ton of upside though.
Logan Salow
Robert Zeigler
Brad Schaenzer
Matt Snyder - Not sure what happened to him this year. I assume it was an injury.
Bo Wilson - Really impressed me at the end of the year.
Ryne Combs
Dylan Dwyer - No real reason to believe that these two will turn it around. In 3 years both have struggled.

Newcomers that might step in:
Sean Hjelle - New guy comes in at 6'11. That alone is extremely intimidating. There has been some praise for him, but it is a big step up to pitch in the SEC on the weekends.
Joshua Smith - Guy graded out on PG as a 9.5. He is a tall 6'5 lefty that throws in the low 90s.
Jeremy Orbik - A pretty good sized righty that comes in from Illinois. His fastball is in the upper 80s.
Austin Keen - Like his name, and like his 88 MPH fastball.
Keegan McHood

There are several more pitchers, but I didn't add them just because they have not contributed so far. Several of them were injured and some redshirted. Pitching could be good, but I don't think I am going to hold my breath at all. If we don't find some big time JUCO help them this could be the worst pitching team that Henderson has ever put together, especially if Beggs and Cody head off.

Interestingly enough the infield looks fairly solid. However, unless we get some big time help from newcomers I don't see a whole lot of power in the lineup and we will once again have to rely on small ball and defense (which HAS to improve). If we rely on that we could have an extremely long year because the pitching, IMO, isn't going to improve a significant amount with the possible losses of Beggs and Cody.

Reactions: UKnVT
^ Not sure if Brown redshirted, but if he did, then he'd be draft eligible after his redshirt sophomore season.

^^ Yea, but the website made no indication that he took a redshirt. According to Perfect Game he was a 2013 recruit, so his freshman year was 2014. So this was his true sophomore year. So, luckily, we will at least have him around next year.

I find it hard to see Nick Shumpert being a top-10 draft pick, what with the crop of draft eligible players coming out of the college ranks. He could be, but I doubt it, maybe a team with a ss who is winding down his career in the next 3-4 years where they could bring Shumpert along slowly. As for Plummer he might go fairly high, but he is somewhat raw for pro ball, talented, but has some edges that could be smoothed by playing college ball.
As for some of our returnees, Shelby and White are the studs, Mahan has promise, Heady will be a junior, and still barely hits over .200, he should be better, as he was highly touted out of HS. Carson will, I believe be the most improved next year, have watched him since his days at North Laurel, he will work hard to improve, Storm has a lot of potential also, just had a soph. slump.
Some of those incoming pitchers look impressive, maybe Hendo won't screw them up too bad. Bo Wilson was a pleasant surprise, and may actually be our closer next season with an era of .082.

As long as Fettes, Heady and Wilson are in the lineup, this team will go nowhere. Those guys are automatic outs. They couldn't hit their way out of a wet paper bag. It will be SOS if those guys are in the starting lineup. And we will all be fussing like we are now this time next year.

There are some players who were RS this year that could help out next season, Justin Lewis a 6'5 rhp out of Atlanta who needed to add strength, also Trey Miller from Lex Cath, who actually played 1 season at Michigan, and although he only hit .140, he did start 12 games at 3rd base and had a couple of game winning hits including a walk-off homer. There are also 2 lhp from Pikeville, and Nelson County who could help. Also, Marshall Gei a swith hitting catcher-infielder, from Mt. Juliet TN who has real promise, and was a stud in HS.

Good points Clover. I never know what to think about redshirts in baseball. Part of me thinks that if they can't come in and contribute right away then they may never do so, but then I have also seen several do quite a good job coming off redshirts. Keenan Wiley, Thomas Bernal, and Michael Williams just to name a few. So, when someone redshirts I tend not to add them to those lists because it is very hard to gauge why they are redshirting. Some are doing it because they need a whole lot of improvement, some are doing it because of depth, and some are doing it because of injury. Thanks for pointing out several that look like they might be able to come in and help us out next year.

Speaking of Marshall Gei... his profile page says he hit .329 in 70 at bats during fall practice. How in the hell did he not beat out Fettes and Arnold? At the very least he probably should have been playing and getting some at bats as a DH.

Good points Clover. I never know what to think about redshirts in baseball. Part of me thinks that if they can't come in and contribute right away then they may never do so, but then I have also seen several do quite a good job coming off redshirts. Keenan Wiley, Thomas Bernal, and Michael Williams just to name a few. So, when someone redshirts I tend not to add them to those lists because it is very hard to gauge why they are redshirting. Some are doing it because they need a whole lot of improvement, some are doing it because of depth, and some are doing it because of injury. Thanks for pointing out several that look like they might be able to come in and help us out next year.

Speaking of Marshall Gei... his profile page says he hit .329 in 70 at bats during fall practice. How in the hell did he not beat out Fettes and Arnold? At the very least he probably should have been playing and getting some at bats as a DH.

A couple of reasons why Marshall Gei was redshirted, one could be he is listed at 185 lbs, he probably needs to add strength and good weight, two, maybe getting some seperation from Fettes a RS jr. and Arnold, also a jr. in class. Good point about hitting .329 in fall ball, and being a switch hitter is invaluable.
I think Justin Lewis could be a sleeper, with that 6'5 frame, and adding strength and weight, he also played ss in HS, so he is athletic. I would also imagine that Trey Miller redshirting would do nothing but help him. He is 6'1 and about 195-200 lbs, and could provide some pop in the lineup.

Not to get off on too much of a rant here, but Im getting a little tired of this wait until next year mentality with this program. And its not just with the baseball team. I'm tired of seeing the other school up the interstate go to the CWS as many times in the last 7 years as we have made the tournament. Its beyond frustrating to see our facilities be constantly mocked by other teams that come in. Its a joke that for the last 6 years that I have had season tickets, we cant get one stinking light bulb replaced. If youve ever been in Section B on a night game, you understand my complaints. I want to see a competitive team on the field who has a chance to win every game and make it to Omaha. Hell, Id be happy right now just making it to a super regional.

Not to get off on too much of a rant here, but Im getting a little tired of this wait until next year mentality with this program. And its not just with the baseball team. I'm tired of seeing the other school up the interstate go to the CWS as many times in the last 7 years as we have made the tournament. Its beyond frustrating to see our facilities be constantly mocked by other teams that come in. Its a joke that for the last 6 years that I have had season tickets, we cant get one stinking light bulb replaced. If youve ever been in Section B on a night game, you understand my complaints. I want to see a competitive team on the field who has a chance to win every game and make it to Omaha. Hell, Id be happy right now just making it to a super regional.

Valid points, the big 1st step would be to get the new stadium going. If we don't make the NCAA's this year, I know a change will not be made, but that also would send a message we are finally serious about the Baseball program !

I know a change won't be made this year but I do agree a commitment to a new stadium is a start.

I think there needs to be several steps taken at around the same time for this program to move forward. I am not sure Henderson will be around much longer. Unless things change next season, it may be his last. I think the new stadium will be committed to after next season either way. If Henderson turns it around and has a solid season, they will promote and start the stadium to continue momentum. If the team struggles again, I think Henderson will be gone. They will use the promise of a new stadium to lure a good coach and build momentum for the future.
I hate saying wait till next year, but next year will be a huge season either way for the baseball program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT