ADVERTISEMENT

This isnt our first rodeo, why do fans act like it is?

Rideordiewildcat

All-American
Jan 30, 2018
Louisville, Ky (Behind enemy lines)
I get it, its been tough. I too want to win every game, but have we not been here before? Im not saying dont be frustrated or questioning some things, I am, you know Cal is. But stick with it. What did we lose in scoring from last year, almost all of it. What other team could do that with only a few guys left from the previous year and even be where we are? Last year at this time we lost to FL by 22 which ended losing 3 of 4 and the one win a OT victory at Rupp against Georgia. The rumblings began, but we knocked off UCLA and took the eventual winner to the final seconds. Now last year wasnt nearly as rough with losses as this year but we had to bring in 8 freshman.

One thing I know is we have been here before. Call in shows saying we were done, had no heart. Boards writing us off and with Cal he somehow pulled it together. Some years sooner than later, some right at the end, but we always make a run. If you want to throw the NIT year at me you can, but really, we had the record RPI and wins to make the tourney but were not picked due to losing our best player for the year. Thats why we didnt get in over some other teams, check it out. Would that team have made a great run, probably not, but we lost our best player and no one could take Noels place.

This team is young and there are some players that drive me crazy, but they are learning. Vanderbilt who I believe is one of our best players missed 17 games. You know, about half the season and is trying to find his way into a team that is learning to play together. So before you talk NIT this year think back when you probably were one of those fans writing us off in 2013 when we entered the tourney with 10 Ls. Only to play for the national championship.

Every year Cal has been here he has found away to get them on a run. Sometimes not as deep, sometimes we have went down early, but every year he gives us a chance. Since the FL game, 2pt loss, horrible call I have seen fight. We arent getting blown out or games decided early, they are going down to the final minutes. Mizzo we couldnt buy a bucket but we out rebounded them and took 26 more shots. Tenn was heart break. They never let them get too far out and it was a back and fourth game until Shai who played 39mins turned it over. If I would have told you we would be up 2 with the ball and a min left who wouldnt have taken that? Shai had to be tired and made some mistakes along with Cal not calling a TO but wanting to see them do it. They have been fighting and against good teams.

So I will stick with my cats making some noise in the tourney and finishing the regular season strong. If you go with history how can you see it any other way. We finish reg season 22-9 and get to the championship of the SEC tourney. We have been here before, hell some would say we live here most years. Why bet against history, the cats and Cal?

Last edited:
We may be the smartest fan base. This board is a wealth of knowledge, but when we lose, everyone turns into idiots. Some are so stupid you can't even have a rational debate. Nobody as any perspective. I read this board less and less because of the idiots that think a few losses means we're going to lose every game for the rest of our lives. So its a below average year, so what, not even the Patriots win every year.

I posted a question at the beginning of the season on how many losses we'd have. The majority guessed 5-9. Even though we knew UK would lose more than 1, everyone goes bat chit crazy after a loss. Makes no sense, I can't figure out why other programs handle losing better than this board does.

I get it, its been tough. I too want to win every game, but have we not been here before? Im not saying dont be frustrated or questioning some things, I am, you know Cal is. But stick with it. What did we lose in scoring from last year, almost all of it. What other team could do that with only a few guys left from the previous year and even be where we are? Last year at this time we lost to FL by 22 which ended losing 3 of 4 and the one win a OT victory at Rupp against Georgia. The rumblings began, but we knocked off UCLA and took the eventual winner to the final seconds. Now last year wasnt nearly as rough with losses as this year but we had to bring in 8 freshman.

One thing I know is we have been here before. Call in shows saying we were done, had no heart. Boards writing us off and with Cal he somehow pulled it together. Some years sooner than later, some right at the end, but we always make a run. If you want to throw the NIT year at me you can, but really, we had the record RPI and wins to make the tourney but were not picked due to losing our best player for the year. Thats why we didnt get in over some other teams, check it out. Would that team have made a great run, probably not, but we lost our best player and no one could take Noels place.

This team is young and there are some players that drive me crazy, but they are learning. Vanderbilt who I believe is one of our best players missed 17 games. You know, about half the season and is trying to find his way into a team that is learning to play together. So before you talk NIT this year think back when you probably were one of those fans writing us off in 2013 when we entered the tourney with 10 Ls. Only to play for the national championship.

Every year Cal has been here he has found away to get them on a run. Sometimes not as deep, sometimes we have went down early, but every year he gives us a chance. Since the FL game, 2pt loss, horrible call I have seen fight. We arent getting blown out or games decided early, they are going down to the final minutes. Mizzo we couldnt buy a bucket but we out rebounded them and took 26 more shots. Tenn was heart break. They never let them get too far out and it was a back and fourth game until Shai who played 39mins turned it over. If I would have told you we would be up 2 with the ball and a min left who wouldnt have taken that? Shai had to be tired and made some mistakes along with Cal not calling a TO but wanting to see them do it. They have been fighting and against good teams.

So I will stick with my cats making some noise in the tourney and finishing the regular season strong. If you go with history how can you see it any other way. We finish reg season 22-9 and get to the championship of the SEC tourney. We have been here before, hell some would say we live here most years. Why bet against history, the cats and Cal?

We may be the smartest fan base. This board is a wealth of knowledge, but when we lose, everyone turns into idiots. Some are so stupid you can't even have a rational debate. Nobody as any perspective. I read this board less and less because of the idiots that think a few losses means we're going to lose every game for the rest of our lives. So its a below average year, so what, not even the Patriots win every year.

I posted a question at the beginning of the season on how many losses we'd have. The majority guessed 5-9. Even though we knew UK would lose more than 1, everyone goes bat chit crazy after a loss. Makes no sense, I can't figure out why other programs handle losing better than this board does.

I'm right there with ya bro. I can't figure it out either .

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
The lack of a true leader, dependable shooter, and consistent force in the paint ala Knight, Lamb, and Jones.

The lack of a true go to bull ala Randle and rim protection ala WCS.

Cal deserves the benefit of the doubt on tourney runs with 2011 and 14, but it’s obvious a few critical pieces still seem to be missing.

Once again, still believe. Couldnt believe cats fans predictions for tomorrow. Some picking us losing by 15-20, cmon! Still predicted a turn around, starting with a tough as they come road win tomorrow.
Why participate in a "Prediction" thread if you are not going to be honest with it? Not everyone is a sunshine pumper. Some fans actually look at our teams without blue tinted lens on. WE ARE WHAT WE ARE. It is a down year, our recruits were not as good as advertised, it happens. Why go thru a whole year expecting to win every game? That is not realistic. I made my prediction based on how this team has been playing.

Why participate in a "Prediction" thread if you are not going to be honest with it? Not everyone is a sunshine pumper. Some fans actually look at our teams without blue tinted lens on. WE ARE WHAT WE ARE. It is a down year, our recruits were not as good as advertised, it happens. Why go thru a whole year expecting to win every game? That is not realistic. I made my prediction based on how this team has been playing.
Why people don't understand this is beyond me,fans who see things as they are don't stop being fans.People make predictions based on the information at hand.If the weatherman predicted 70 degrees and sunny during a snowstorm a lot of golfers would be pissed at him

Said it a Million times , this site has 1000's or 10000 members and opinions . The fringe ones have us going 40-0 or headed to the Nitwit . You are ALWAYS going to get drunken , ignorant , pissed off people after we lose just accept .

I've always felt this is the reason some sit in silence at games at time. Watching and critiquing the game. Being students of the game as Cal has said.

I think a lot of it comes from young fans. If you’ve been a fan for a long time you’ve been there before. I’ve lived thru all of our coaches. I’ve been a fan since 1965. I experienced the up and downs with our teams. Like a true fan I expect a great team every year, but I know that’s not realistic. If you expect UK to win a NC every year your going to be very frustrated most years. Am I happy about the way we’re playing this year, no. I do know that Cal will do his best to get them ready for March. These kids will either choose to listen to Cal or keep playing me basketball. It will ultimately be their choice. Great players can only be great if they play as a team. We all know it’s getting late and so far they are choosing to play me basketball. Let’s hope they wake up before their first game in the tournament. If they don’t RR and HOB will meltdown. I will choose to look forward to next season and back Cal and our team. That’s about all I got. Love Cal, team and UK. Life is way to short and I have a life.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
The lack of a true leader, dependable shooter, and consistent force in the paint ala Knight, Lamb, and Jones.

The lack of a true go to bull ala Randle and rim protection ala WCS.

Cal deserves the benefit of the doubt on tourney runs with 2011 and 14, but it’s obvious a few critical pieces still seem to be missing.
I believe it was John Madden who once commented how much better a coach he became when he had great players. Great players are always looking for ways to improve themselves. They are purpose driven.

One thing that no one is mentioning is that the SEC is tough this year. Add that combination to the fact that we are having a down year and you get losses.

Many have tolerated the one and done because we have been winning over the years in a way that we had not seen in a very long time. Many were not thrilled at having to start over every year but tolerated it because we were winning. Now that we are not, it rises back to the surface.

I believe it was John Madden who once commented how much better a coach he became when he had great players. Great players are always looking for ways to improve themselves. They are purpose driven.

Great post. True in life as well.

I have had employees that are content to be average or less. Becoming great takes desire and the skill to LISTEN.

While it's true this is not our first rodeo it may be because we hated the previous one and one half so much.

This team is not good and will limp into the ncaa and go out early because they will play a high seed. This team is too young, not as good as advertised can't score and doesn't pass well from a 50 year diehard.

BEST POST I HAVE READ ON HERE IN 3 YEARS. These loses suck big fat donkey shlong but it is part of growing up as a team.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
This team is not good and will limp into the ncaa and go out early because they will play a high seed. This team is too young, not as good as advertised can't score and doesn't pass well from a 50 year diehard.
Agreed. This team has the lowest basketball skill set and IQ I have seen. They are athletic as hell, but very little basketball skills.

This is what confuses me with Cals recruiting. Why recruit a shooting guard that can’t shoot? Why recruit a 7 footer that can’t score, dunk, block out, block a shot?

It’s like getting a bunch of thouroghbreds and try to barrel race with them, or getting quarter horses and race in the Kentucky Derby. Neither one will be successful

Reactions: wyldcatsfan
Those "underperforming" teams of Cals that made deep tourney runs were compiled of elite players that lived up to their hype in the tourney when it mattered most.

This team does not have the the same levels of talent, experience, BBIQ, selflessnes, team unity, and to this point, coachability as years past.

Op, I hope youre right though.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I've always felt this is the reason some sit in silence at games at time. Watching and critiquing the game. Being students of the game as Cal has said.
Yes that is correct,we dissect the game as it happens play by play.The problem is we(most) are pretty good at it and get caught up in doing it

Reactions: letitrainuk

I dont expect to win every game, but in a series that has went to OT 4 times recently and been within 6pts the last 6 times or so what in the hell would make anyone think we get beat by 20? Tell you what for those thinking its going to be that bad, I will take only 10pts and take your bets.

Several reasons.

Some people take this stuff so seriously they base a portion of their emotional well-being on the success of our basketball team. These people take loss personally as they feel it's a black mark on them.

Some people see the worst in every situation and become a snowball of negativity. (I try to avoid these mofos at all costs in real life. Nothing will drag you down like Capt. Negative Pants)

Some have genuine concerns that shouldn't be overlooked.

Some expect us to be as good as 2010, 2012 and 2015 every year.

Another thing, we have lost at home twice by a total of 4pts. The FL game we fought back and we all know that was a horrible no call. So he hits the free throws and Mo goes with us to OT. Then Tenn we are up 2 with the ball, 1 min. left. Shai had played 30mins and had to be tired he commits his 2nd turnover of the game. A TO, catch a breath, run a play, who knows. Plus down 1 with the ball same thing. Tenn didnt beat us that one we beat ourselves.

So real question to all who think we are horrible. Say we pull out those 2 2pt losses and are 19-5 which has us in the thick of it with most 2 seeds. Still think we suck? Just curious. Also before the smart asses start, I know, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a merry xmas and all the other one liners.

Are we not that close, 4pts to being right there. Have we really been dominated and not had a chance in the final minutes in most of these losses? Let me know, but thats why I still believe, not blue colored glasses honey.

Reactions: EliteBlue

Is there a Readers Digest version coming?

tenor.gif

tumblr_mxob6mEC0K1ql56ddo1_500.gif

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
We have Been through this almost every year with these young teams except the year we won it all and the 38-0 year until losing in FF to Wisconsin. Look at the last 2-3 years in the NCAA we had 16 At Large teams in the tourney last year that had double digit losses 10-13 losses and Vanderbilt made the tourney at 19-15 as a 9 seed.. We are #15 RPI and #5 SOS and many of teams from #10-#25 in rankings lost today and most have 6 to 8 losses. Just have faith in our team and in Coach Cal and we will be fine.

I dont expect to win every game, but in a series that has went to OT 4 times recently and been within 6pts the last 6 times or so what in the hell would make anyone think we get beat by 20? Tell you what for those thinking its going to be that bad, I will take only 10pts and take your bets.
It may not be our first rodeo but we sure as hell fell off the horse,You are a good fan no doubt, but don't sell us old guys short,we know a thing or two because we have seen a thing or two

still feeling cocky with that post?

Another thing, we have lost at home twice by a total of 4pts. The FL game we fought back and we all know that was a horrible no call. So he hits the free throws and Mo goes with us to OT. Then Tenn we are up 2 with the ball, 1 min. left. Shai had played 30mins and had to be tired he commits his 2nd turnover of the game. A TO, catch a breath, run a play, who knows. Plus down 1 with the ball same thing. Tenn didnt beat us that one we beat ourselves.

So real question to all who think we are horrible. Say we pull out those 2 2pt losses and are 19-5 which has us in the thick of it with most 2 seeds. Still think we suck? Just curious. Also before the smart asses start, I know, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a merry xmas and all the other one liners.

Are we not that close, 4pts to being right there. Have we really been dominated and not had a chance in the final minutes in most of these losses? Let me know, but thats why I still believe, not blue colored glasses honey.

There is still time for a run, but it is getting late. At this juncture, if we make the big dance it will be as a high seed. I think that this is simply a down year, which happens to even the best programs. Hopefully the team comes alive in March and proves me wrong. No matter how the season ends, I appreciate this team for the beat down it put on Louisville.

Last year's team had 3 lottery picks. I don't see this year's team doing anything like last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT