ADVERTISEMENT

This is why players might want to stay in college...

Kopi not even close. Play again.
Maybe I put too much emphasis in Aike's first sentence, 3rd paragraph, original post, to wit . . . "but it got me wondering, what about those last 10 picks of the draft?" That appeared to clearly set the scope of discussion, rather specifically. Combined with the thread title he chose . . . "May want to stay in college" . . . that would clearly disqualify his most recent claim that the discussion is about the success of all players taken late in the first round. Meaning, he was never talking about players with no remaining eligibility, nor was he talking about players who were never in college to begin with.

A very large portion of that overall failure rate he wishes to be considered is achieved by international players who had professional basketball jobs already, careers they could go right back to or, in most cases, simply not leave.

this is a very valid discussion, but I don't think an accusation of distortion (trying to move the mark) is justified when it is reasonable to use early scope statements for staying on topic, and when additional examples (such as my previous paragraph) can demonstrate how the sampled data may have not been considered to an extent to which the general conclusion of "success" is either useful or itself is not distorted.

Maybe I put too much emphasis in Aike's first sentence, 3rd paragraph, original post, to wit . . . "but it got me wondering, what about those last 10 picks of the draft?" That appeared to clearly set the scope of discussion, rather specifically. Combined with the thread title he chose . . . "May want to stay in college" . . . that would clearly disqualify his most recent claim that the discussion is about the success of all players taken late in the first round. Meaning, he was never talking about players with no remaining eligibility, nor was he talking about players who were never in college to begin with.

A very large portion of that overall failure rate he wishes to be considered is achieved by international players who had professional basketball jobs already, careers they could go right back to or, in most cases, simply not leave.

this is a very valid discussion, but I don't think an accusation of distortion (trying to move the mark) is justified when it is reasonable to use early scope statements for staying on topic, and when additional examples (such as my previous paragraph) can demonstrate how the sampled data may have not been considered to an extent to which the general conclusion of "success" is either useful or itself is not distorted.

It's simple. I think you're thinking too much into it.

Reactions: Aike

Bruh, this isn’t a philosophical discussion lol

It’s very simple, counselor.

I was looking at the success rate of all late second round picks.

Based on this, I was suggesting that someone who is projected late second round and has a choice, i.e., an underclassman, should seriously consider their option of staying in school.

Considering we may have three such players making such a decision this year alone, seems like a relevant discussion for our message board.

Further, I pulled 10 years worth of data for undrafted underclassmen who made the NBA. Posted another thread about it. I would think that would make you happy, but for some reason you’ve ignored the invitation to discuss the other thread. Choosing instead to debate the nuances of this one. And yes, to move the mark. Such as removing College Juniors from consideration based on nothing more than your opinion.

You previously introduced your "other thread" as pertaining specifically to underclassmen who declared and went undrafted. None of my comments are so applicable. All of my comments are focused on the examination of draft positions 51 - 60. Who should be accusing whom of mark moving?

Yes, I consider the juniors as potential outliers. But since you wish for this discussion to have increased merit because of current UK players entering the draft, which of those are juniors? If based solely on historical data for the last 5 years, there is a 0 percent chance a UK freshman will be taken in the last 10 picks of the draft. How much does that percentage increase going back another 5 years, sir?

This really is horrible in so many ways.

Starting a different thread and inviting you to the discussion isn’t moving the mark. It’s starting a different discussion and labeling it as such.

Let’s not pretend as if you have the slightest grasp of anything other than your bottle. You’re good for talking in circles, and that’s about it.

No one with an Afro-American Studies degree is going anywhere in life except teaching history at an inner-city middle school for 25K a year. And if you make that a UNC degree, you probably cannot read at a high school level. And all the far left fake stats to the contrary, a liberal arts degree is worthless if you don't get into and attend a professional grad school.

Staying in college, is financially stupid today. There are no real language requirements, very few if any math requirements, and nothing that you can use in life excepting maybe accounting. The chances are far greater that you will get a permanent disabling leg or back injury in those 4 years as opposed to a valid education. So if a kid gets an outside shot at playing for money here, Europe, Asia or Australia, he ought to grab it. He can always get educated AFTER his basketball career is over, if he is convinced he needs a Social Justice degree.

And don't UK players all get to come back and finish?

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
No one with an Afro-American Studies degree is going anywhere in life except teaching history at an inner-city middle school for 25K a year. And if you make that a UNC degree, you probably cannot read at a high school level. And all the far left fake stats to the contrary, a liberal arts degree is worthless if you don't get into and attend a professional grad school.

Staying in college, is financially stupid today. There are no real language requirements, very few if any math requirements, and nothing that you can use in life excepting maybe accounting. The chances are far greater that you will get a permanent disabling leg or back injury in those 4 years as opposed to a valid education. So if a kid gets an outside shot at playing for money here, Europe, Asia or Australia, he ought to grab it. He can always get educated AFTER his basketball career is over, if he is convinced he needs a Social Justice degree.

Career earnings for someone with a Bachelors degree are $2.2 mil, some college is around $1.5.

And yes, UK players can come back and finish. Like I’ve said numerous times, if someone is dying to leave, they should.

What’s it worth to finish a degree while playing for Kentucky? Compete for Titles and become a legend? What is that worth financially as well as qualitatively?

Reactions: morgousky
Resorts to baseless personal attacks to avoid accountability . . . yep, and always easy to tell who is here to fill social voids. Deep, empty ones?

Lol. Enjoy your drinking and make believe statistical analysis. Goodbye. [laughing]

Factually incorrect.

Just in my personal life, I know many plant workers and such that would give anything to have a bachelors degree. I have two friends who majored in Social Work that today are making upwards of 65,000 per year with hours and benefits that you won't find without the degree. I know it's popular to say college is worthless, but nothing could be further from the truth. Not everyone needs it, but I sleep better at night.

If you work and don't take crazy loans starting at 18, it's gravy.

Smartest people walking got their associates degree for free and work to finish within four more years. It might take longer but it doesn't matter.

And as manufacturing dries up, and "strawberry pickers" are invited from anywhere, the degrees especially in certain fields might as well be a gold bar.

And no, most players never finish that leave early. It's pretty rare. The best opportunity they have is at 19, no Work, no kids, free tutoring, coaches and parents making you go. When they get a little cash, start a family etc the chances are slim to none.

btw, smartest people as in people who didn't receive scholarships or free cash to go but still finished owing 0. Just regular people who made the most of what they were given at the time.

Factually incorrect.

Just in my personal life, I know many plant workers and such that would give anything to have a bachelors degree. I have two friends who majored in Social Work that today are making upwards of 65,000 per year with hours and benefits that you won't find without the degree. I know it's popular to say college is worthless, but nothing could be further from the truth. Not everyone needs it, but I sleep better at night.

Smartest people walking got their associates degree for free and work to finish within four more years. It might take longer but it doesn't matter.

And as manufacturing dries up, and "strawberry pickers" are invited from anywhere, the degrees especially in certain fields might as well be a gold bar.

And no, most players never finish that leave early. It's pretty rare. The best opportunity they have is at 19, no Work, no kids, free tutoring, coaches and parents making you go. When they get a little cash, start a family etc the chances are slim to none.

I agree with a lot of this but there are more older adults in college than you might realize. I agree that’s it’s a lot easier to do when you’re younger with few responsibilities.

1/2 a milllon dollars invested wisely at age 22 - 23. Too bad we are made to believe it is corrupt to expect them to be so smart. A magnificent early retirement . . . virtually guaranteed. Skimp some off the top to pay to finish school. Get a job. What?

They have to pay taxes on that as well so you might as well half that amount .

Am I correct that a poster on here believes that making $500k for one year should be enough to retire on? Maybe that total lack of awareness of the cost of living in the real world is why so many posters on here think that leaving early to chase that kind of money is the right thing to do. Many professionals make that kind of money on a yearly basis and live comfortably cut are not “set for life” or anything like that.

Am I correct that a poster on here believes that making $500k for one year should be enough to retire on? Maybe that total lack of awareness of the cost of living in the real world is why so many posters on here think that leaving early to chase that kind of money is the right thing to do. Many professionals make that kind of money on a yearly basis and live comfortably cut are not “set for life” or anything like that.

True enough. Worth noting that these are career earnings and not necessarily for one year, or even immediate.

Yep, if you are picked that high in the second round it makes sense to go. especially since it’s very rare that a player who’s projected there ends up becoming a little pick the next year (only two have)

In the end it’s laughable for fans to act like they really care, all they really care about is if that player can help them win in college. It’s not about if the player is making a bad or good decision it’s strictly about what they can do for the fan. Players should always do what they feel is best for them, use the info they receive and then make that decision. There is no clear cut right or wrong decision because there are many examples of guys making it as second rounders or undrafted and many who didn’t make it. Same with first rounders as well.

I believe it was @Jakarii .

Yep, if you are picked that high in the second round it makes sense to go. especially since it’s very rare that a player who’s projected there ends up becoming a little pick the next year (only two have)

In the end it’s laughable for fans to act like they really care, all they really care about is if that player can help them win in college. It’s not about if the player is making a bad or good decision it’s strictly about what they can do for the fan. Players should always do what they feel is best for them, use the info they receive and then make that decision. There is no clear cut right or wrong decision because there are many examples of guys making it as second rounders or undrafted and many who didn’t make it. Same with first rounders as well.

What’s laughable is you acting like you know what everyone thinks.

I've never seen anyone assert 500k sets someone up for life ever but you don't definitively assert they do you just ask the question and then use the idea to frame your argument but it isn't really an argument made by enough to pretend it is a actually a point of discussion.

Statistically as a percentage of the population very, very few people make 500k or more a year though. If you are careful to duck percentage and mean you can pretend "many" as too many to invite to a party or overload a stadium or even enough to populate a city but it isn't a statistically a majority or even a strong plurality of the population not even if the sector is limited to professionals.

What’s laughable is you acting like you know what everyone thinks.

the guy is such a joke, I'm sorry. I know you're a lot nicer than me so you don't have to agree, but he's a joke. Between me and you.

Don't care who answers, but how will the kid ehonis skipping college and going to the g league enter the draft? Will his rights be owned by the farm team that he goes to, or willl he just enter the draft like anyone else? He's taking a big risk because if he goes the the gleague and sucks it up he will cost himself a lot of money and not be drafted in the first round as opposed to staying a yr in college. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Career earnings for someone with a Bachelors degree are $2.2 mil, some college is around $1.5.

And yes, UK players can come back and finish. Like I’ve said numerous times, if someone is dying to leave, they should.

What’s it worth to finish a degree while playing for Kentucky? Compete for Titles and become a legend? What is that worth financially as well as qualitatively?
Not with a social science or history degree. Tell me what a welder or diesel mechanic makes. Even a factory worker. Now, McDonalds cashiers may do too poorly, but kids with a skill rarely loses out to a social worker.

Factually incorrect.

I have two friends who majored in Social Work that today are making upwards of 65,000 per year with hours and benefits that you won't find without the degree.

Then you have two friends who are not truthful to you. NO social worker starts at 65K anywhere. They may get promoted to a supervisor position after twenty years in a government job, or get a masters degree or some other degree, but they are making 65 thousand if they combined two incomes. Liberal arts degrees in Gender Studies, Gay Fart Dancing, or Tranny Jock Strap design get you nowhere, except a miserable life passing out food stamp cards or working in jail administration. Of course, NPR and MSNBC will tell you differently.

No basketball player should stay in school if they can make a dime playing any pro. Risk is too high and the reward too low unless they have a true business skill.

Not with a social science or history degree. Tell me what a welder or diesel mechanic makes. Even a factory worker. Now, McDonalds cashiers may do too poorly, but kids with a skill rarely loses out to a social worker.

Those are the averages of someone with a 4 year degree vs. someone with some college.

That means all of those people who finished with a 4 year social science degree are included. As are all the people who dropped out after a semester and became welders.

The broad, indisputable facts are that, on average, people do better financially the more college they complete. If you want to argue this degree vs. that occupation, you’ll have to dig that up yourself.

As an aside, I know plenty of folks with history degrees who probably wouldn’t fair well as welders, as well as welders who would make lousy historians.

Then you have two friends who are not truthful to you. NO social worker starts at 65K anywhere. They may get promoted to a supervisor position after twenty years in a government job, or get a masters degree or some other degree, but they are making 65 thousand if they combined two incomes. Liberal arts degrees in Gender Studies, Gay Fart Dancing, or Tranny Jock Strap design get you nowhere, except a miserable life passing out food stamp cards or working in jail administration. Of course, NPR and MSNBC will tell you differently.

No basketball player should stay in school if they can make a dime playing any pro. Risk is too high and the reward too low unless they have a true business skill.

I didn't say they started there. I just debunked your argument that a college degree does not pay off in the end. It was merely an exampe. They both have a Masters but worked their way to it through the process. There are many people who are where they are because the degree got their foot in the door. Not everyone can own businesses and not everyone is meant for a trade. Most people are in the rat race, and for much of that pie a degree is necessary.

Players have another angle to consider. They have a physical trade recieved biologically.

Yeah, that’s it. We have absolutely no regard for these players at all! UK fans= selfish!

Yet here ya are... every day... on a message board of a team you literally don’t even like.

I’m not really big on Italian food at all. Would it make sense for me to hang out at an Italian restaurant all day subtly whining and throwing temper tantrums about Italian food?

Asking for a friend : )

I hear ya, but I’m not trying to call anyone out. The numbers are interesting though, and a little worse than I would have expected.

As someone mentioned in another thread, it would be nice to see a breakdown of earnings overseas. But I still have to question the logic of leaving somewhere like Kentucky as an underclassmam to go play overseas, unless you are from another country to begin with.

By all accounts those overseas jobs are the toughest grind of all, often with little patience for the Americans. I know it works out great for some, but I would like to look at the data. My gut is to question whether that’s really the best path for most underclassmen to take.

Only in the very best leagues in each country and then you have to aclimate to the culture if each place. Most people would have a hard time living in China coming from a free society.

ADVERTISEMENT