ADVERTISEMENT

This is what some of us wanted.

millayc

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
Including myself. I'll admit it. I found myself longing for the old days when players stayed for more than one year. Now we have that team and we are all feeling the pain. Next year we will have 3 Juniors, several Sophomores and at least 3 Freshman (possibly more). Some of us have forgotten that this is how teams are normally built. I hate it right now. You hate it right now, but we are going to have a great team next year. We just have to get through the normal growing pains first. We haven't had to to this in awhile.

This is not what a 2/3 year program looks like. A team that does this regularly, does not have 7 freshman they depend on. If you do It right you have 5 or so upperclassman you depend on themn 1-2 freshman. Anytime you depend on 5-7 freshman, this is the risk. This only works if you do it every year. Not by taking OAD’s and missing.

What he is saying is in order to have upperclassman in the first place they have to be freshman at some point right?

And if you got freshman and they aren’t good enough to make the jump, you get this.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t be mad when everyone leaves and we get a new squad every year and then be mad at we have this year where some might come back but we aren’t good.

If you want these guys for years 3 and 4, you have to deal with them as freshman in years 1 and 2.

lol, this is not the result of a team who balances their philosophy out to include multiple year players. This is what happens when a recruiting pitch stays the same and you miss your intended targets.

It's one extreme to the next with some.

Including myself. I'll admit it. I found myself longing for the old days when players stayed for more than one year. Now we have that team and we are all feeling the pain. Next year we will have 3 Juniors, several Sophomores and at least 3 Freshman (possibly more). Some of us have forgotten that this is how teams are normally built. I hate it right now. You hate it right now, but we are going to have a great team next year. We just have to get through the normal growing pains first. We haven't had to to this in awhile.
I want to believe this more than anything in the world, but the roster volatility we experience every spring- whether it makes sense or not- makes me very skeptical. A "great team" is still up in the air, depending on just how many we get back, and how good our freshman class (which is again devoid of top 5 talent) turns out to be.

What he is saying is in order to have upperclassman in the first place they have to be freshman at some point right?

And if you got freshman and they aren’t good enough to make the jump, you get this.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t be mad when everyone leaves and we get a new squad every year and then be mad at we have this year where some might come back but we aren’t good.

If you want these guys for years 3 and 4, you have to deal with them as freshman in years 1 and 2.

I'm not going to get into it long, because it's pointless, but you're just arguing the straw man that was set up.

Yes, you have to deal with them as freshman in year one, but a traditional route usually has other underclassman turning to upperclassman. We don't, because we would rather save scholarships than hand them out to guys to will return. It was part of the image Cal wanted to project, the pros come here, college athletes don't - essentially.

I'm fine with this as long as Cal makes the adjustment and stops risking our seasons on an old and wore out recruiting philosophy. It's over, this is a new era of recruits and what worked on Wall isn't working on them.

Start mixing it up and accept a traditional recruiting philosophy sometimes. You can still bring in AD but you need to sell it differently now.

I wonder tho is this largely based on Cal not changing his pitch or the fact that guys like K are now more involved.

When Cal came in 2010, it was just him. Omg look at what Cal is doing. People looked at it like it was bad for college basketball.

Then he won......and kept winning.

Oh maybe that Cal is onto something. Maybe we should copy him.

You just got more teams involved now I believe. Coaches are adapting and as a result catching up (or maybe even surpassing) Cal.

I'm not going to get into it long, because it's pointless, but you're just arguing the straw man that was set up.

Yes, you have to deal with them as freshman in year one, but a traditional route usually has other underclassman turning to upperclassman. We don't, because we would rather save scholarships than hand them out to guys to will return. It was part of the image Cal wanted to project, the pros come here, college athletes don't - essentially.

I'm fine with this as long as Cal makes the adjustment and stops risking our seasons on an old and wore out recruiting philosophy. It's over, this is a new era of recruits and what worked on Wall isn't working on them.

Start mixing it up and accept a tradition recruiting philosophy. You can still bring in AD but you need to sell it differently now.

Right I get this but when you've gone the one and done route for years on years.....you have to eventually start with just freshman.

I don't even think this is what Cal is wanting to do honestly. It's happening because this group isn't as good as his previous groups but I don't believe for one second it's a philosophy switch on Cal's part.

I'm a firm believer that the recruiting will go in cycles. So Duke is on top now. Maybe two/three years down the road, we'll be again.

Well, if these guys stay for year two, then yes, we'll get back to some semblance of normal. BUT, I have absolutely no hope that will happen. But I do have hope that I'm wrong!

I wonder tho is this largely based on Cal not changing his pitch or the fact that guys like K are now more involved.

When Cal came in 2010, it was just him. Omg look at what Cal is doing. People looked at it like it was bad for college basketball.

Then he won......and kept winning.

Oh maybe that Cal is onto something. Maybe we should copy him.

You just got more teams involved now I believe. Coaches are adapting and as a result catching up (or maybe even surpassing) Cal.

Whatever the reason, the pitch doesn't work. Man, this is not organic chemistry.

Whatever the reason, the pitch doesn't work. Man, this is not organic chemistry.

I'm not ready to say exactly this isn't working. That the pitch somehow got stale. We aren't getting those Top 5 guys anymore like we used to, but it's hard for me to say that because we have the #2 recruiting class instead of the #1 that we have fell off.

Maybe i'll feel different if this trend continues. But what are we talking about here......two years that Duke beat us in recruiting?

I'm just not so sure that it's not working.

I think as more and more teams embrace one and dones, that just leaves less players to go to one specific team. The Duke thing is temporary as well.

Reactions: morgousky
I'm not ready to say exactly this isn't working. That the pitch somehow got stale. We aren't getting those Top 5 guys anymore like we used to, but it's hard for me to say that because we have the #2 recruiting class instead of the #1 that we have fell off.

Maybe i'll feel different if this trend continues. But what are we talking about here......two years that Duke beat us in recruiting?

I think as more and more teams embrace one and dones, that just leaves less players to go to one specific team. The Duke thing is temporary as well.

I agree. Some classes are stronger than others and some do not pan out. Next years class is supposed to be even weaker than this years (not UK's individually). Recruiting and players run in cycles. We all know Cal will get his.

Seven five stars in the 2019 class already have confirmed offers. So next year's guys better get their PT while they can.

Nobody has stayed yet.

Nobody has stayed yet.

Hey you remember that time people said calm down, Skal was gonna stay? Or briscoe has to come back for a 3rd year. ? Or where on earth would Matthews go or where can humphries possibly end up except for UK for a jr year?

Fans assuming players will return here makes me wonder if they have long term memory problems

Reactions: KyFaninNC
AGAIN, most fans would be ok with a season with a bit of a struggle if they knew the building blocks were in place, but when you continually see these guys STILL on draft boards, yet we are teetering on the NCAA bubble, well...

This thread means jack squat until the season is over and our team decides to return. I bet this OP also said humphries and briscoe were returning a year ago... and would of been dead wrong
None of these threads mean jack squat if you really think about it. Just a bunch of opinions. My opinion is just as worthless as yours. It won't change anything. On a side note, I wasn't surprised that Humphries left. He never really fit in and Briscoe had let it be known before the year started that it was his last year no matter what.

I would be kidding myself if I didn't think some of the players would leave, but I can only assume the majority of them will either stay or maybe transfer based on the evidence that is before us.

I would have been fine if Cal came out before last year's signing periods and said he is going to recruit more 3 and 4 year players to give us more experience so we don't have to just rely on freshmen. Especially as it became more obvious that we were going to miss out on a lot of our first choices. Instead he keeps signing all these recruits who will be marginal first round one and done NBA players (more like second round) who think they are good enough to go pro after one year.

Now we have to deal with a mediocre current year where we still might lose a number of players and be potentially left in terrible shape for next year as well. I would have rather signed 3 or 4 recruits that were low 5 stars or 4 stars (maybe a high 3 star or two) with issues like size that would keep them from getting drafted for a couple of years at least. With that I would have expected a down year to build for the future. Instead we recruited like we have been with guys likely expected to leave after a year again, but without the upside to make a late run like we usually do.

It's one thing to recruit multi year players that are expected to be multi year players. It's different to recruit one and done players who underperform and still go pro or become multi year players. Harder to expect a down year with the latter.

I would have been fine if Cal came out before last year's signing periods and said he is going to recruit more 3 and 4 year players to give us more experience so we don't have to just rely on freshmen. Especially as it became more obvious that we were going to miss out on a lot of our first choices. Instead he keeps signing all these recruits who will be marginal first round one and done NBA players (more like second round) who think they are good enough to go pro after one year.

Now we have to deal with a mediocre current year where we still might lose a number of players and be potentially left in terrible shape for next year as well. I would have rather signed 3 or 4 recruits that were low 5 stars or 4 stars (maybe a high 3 star or two) with issues like size that would keep them from getting drafted for a couple of years at least. With that I would have expected a down year to build for the future. Instead we recruited like we have been with guys likely expected to leave after a year again, but without the upside to make a late run like we usually do.

It's one thing to recruit multi year players that are expected to be multi year players. It's different to recruit one and done players who underperform and still go pro or become multi year players. Harder to expect a down year with the latter.

Maybe we should wait on this tho............we have no idea who is staying and who is going.

Maybe we should wait on this tho............we have no idea who is staying and who is going.

Judging by most of the previous years I am expecting 3 or 4 to go to the NBA (or try to) and at least one to leave the country for home or play overseas. I am not sure how I feel about that. I want more experience, but some of these guys are probably addition by subtraction.

Judging by most of the previous years I am expecting 3 or 4 to go to the NBA (or try to) and at least one to leave the country for home or play overseas. I am not sure how I feel about that. I want more experience, but some of these guys are probably addition by subtraction.

That's sort of how I look at it.
People don't really want experience just for having experience. They want good players + experience. Problem is most of those players don't stay.

Yeah that really is the question right.........is year 2 of Diallo, Washington, Richards etc better than year 1 of someone in the recruiting class. Sure they will more than likely improve some but is it going to be enough. I'm not sure.

That's sort of how I look at it.
People don't really want experience just for having experience. They want good players + experience. Problem is most of those players don't stay.

Yeah that really is the question right.........is year 2 of Diallo, Washington, Richards etc better than year 1 of someone in the recruiting class. Sure they will more than likely improve some but is it going to be enough. I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, we probably don't have any better options than Richards or Washington in the recruiting class so a second year of them is a must. They have to get much better though to make it worth coming back. Hopefully between Herro and Baker we will have a much better option than Diallo. We just won't have the athleticism, but then that hasn't counted for much this year.

"millayc, member: 5536"]I would be kidding myself if I didn't think some of the players would leave, but I can only assume the majority of them will either stay or maybe transfer based on the evidence that is before us.[/QUOTE]If they transfer are they any less gone than if they are playing for pay somewhere,they are here or they are not.If they are not then we are shorthanded.

That's ridiculous. You can have a team with both, that eventually progresses. That is, we could also have a star freshmen capable of pushing this team over the hump this season, and return the rest of the freshmen. There is no reason that is impossible.

A lot of the problem is the shoe companies getting more involved, strange choices have been made by top recruits. The FBI may solve our recruiting problem for us

That's ridiculous. You can have a team with both, that eventually progresses. That is, we could also have a star freshmen capable of pushing this team over the hump this season, and return the rest of the freshmen. There is no reason that is impossible.

But don't we already do that most years?

Guys come back. Even this year Gabriel came back, SKJ came back.

That's not good enough tho for most people.

"millayc, member: 5536"]I would be kidding myself if I didn't think some of the players would leave, but I can only assume the majority of them will either stay or maybe transfer based on the evidence that is before us.
If they transfer are they any less gone than if they are playing for pay somewhere,they are here or they are not.If they are not then we are shorthanded.[/QUOTE]
I was just adding that as a possibility since that is what a certain radio personality is suggesting may happen. I think the majority of them will stay. If I had to guess, I would say Knox, Diallo and Alexander leave.

ADVERTISEMENT