ADVERTISEMENT

This is what I see after the first five games

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
Sooner or later, everyone has to deal with death of loved ones. It happened for us last week, and it was very sad. So my attention has been on family matters.

This morning, I saw a DVR replay of UK-SC. Until today, the final score was the only thing I knew about the game. Earlier, I attended the two home games and saw the other two on TV.

I have taken a look at people's assessments on the board. Here are mine.

Offense

UK's running game is averaging 4.7 yards per carry. Benny isn't walking through that door, but this is still a good number. Especially under the circumstances. When you look closely at the SC replay, a couple of things stand out. For one thing, SC was not concerned at all about UK's passing game. Muschamp did a good job of disguising his defenses, but eight defenders were in the box at the snap nearly all day long. Muschamp used all kinds of blitzes, including some creative run blitzes. But UK still managed 4.1 yards per rush in the game, not a bad number at all, given the complete lack of a passing threat.

Of course UK only ran the football 28 times against SC, because we were behind on the scoreboard all day.

In summary, I see two primary problems with our offense. The first one is obvious. TW is out for the season, and SS is very banged up. So, not surprisingly, our QB play has not been good enough to take advantage of opportunities to control tempo of the game and move the football. Not every offensive possession ends in a score. But every offensive possession is an opportunity to flip the field and force the opponent to play on a long field. We simply haven't been getting the QB play necessary to do that. This is not a knock against SS, who is playing hurt. But SS was 13-34 passing against SC, and has turned the football over too much for our football team to be competitive. It is what it is.

The second issue is our OL. I watched our OL closely during the replay of UK-SC. Surprisingly, the left side of our OL is not creating any push. I say surprisingly, because Landon Young and Logan Stenberg were expected to be two of the better players on our offense. Neither played very well against SC, and neither did Drake Jackson. Again, I am not knocking anyone, just saying what I see. Is SC's DL really that good? They may be better than last year, but I didn't expect to see them push Young and Stenberg around. But that's what happened. In particular, Stenberg has not had a very good season so far.

Defense

The story of our defense is pretty much the opposite of what we expected prior to the season. Our secondary, which was considered the weakness of our defense, has played better than expected. Yusuf Corker is an emerging star, and Brandin Echols is turning out to be a very solid player. Other members of the secondary haven't been quite as good, but they are mostly young and will get better.

Our DL, which was considered the strength of our defense, has been outplayed in all three losses. Calvin Taylor has been the best player on our defense, but he gets routinely double-teamed. Taylor will play on Sundays, but SC completely took him out of the game. Quinton Bohanna, considered our best lineman, is overweight and badly out of shape, and has been gassed before the end of the first quarter in all three losses. Marquan McCall is also out of shape, but has outplayed Bohanna when given the opportunity. Phil Hoskins has not played yet because of disciplinary issues and injuries. None of our other linemen has been getting the job done. TJ Carter, who got some preseason headlines, has mainly been a nonfactor. Kordell Looney has not played well, so younger players like Hawkins and Abadi-Fitzgerald are being given a chance to play. This may sound harsh, but I am just saying what I see.

Based on my viewing of the loss to SC, our LBs have been the biggest problem so far. To put it simply, our LBs look slow and are getting blocked. And lots of missed tackles. SC readily handled our LBs. Kash Daniel plays hard, but isn't big enough to make plays unless he puts himself in ideal position on his first read. So far, Daniel has been out of position a lot, and his playing time is on the decline. DeAndre Square, who excelled in the two nonconference games, has been overpowered physically by SEC OLs. Square just isn't very big. None of our edge LBs has played well in the three conference games. There is no pass rush, and they are giving up the edge way too often in the run defense.

Taken as a whole, our defense just hasn't been able to stop two middle of the pack SEC offenses because we haven't been quick enough, strong enough, or sound enough. This kind of thing gets fixed gradually, with player development and reps. But time is not on our side.

What comes next

The current frequency of game changing turnovers by our offense precludes winning conference games, and that potentially includes Arky. Without a passing game, our offense will not be able to move the chains against any SEC defense. The offense is currently predictable and ineffective, and the QB is the problem. Not the HC. Not the OC. I admire SS for playing hurt, and we will never know how this might have gone if he was healthy. But he isn't healthy, and there isn't another QB with any experience behind him. That's a bum deal, but it is what it is.

And since our OL has not yet been able to overcome graduations of Bunchy and Asafo Adjei, the situation upfront is not optimal either.

At some point, either SS will get healthy, or else Stoops and Gran will be forced to turn to some combination of Gilmore and Bowden at QB. Gilmore is talented, but not ready. Some fans have convinced themselves that Bowden is the answer at QB, but I believe they are fooling themselves. Bowden is a fine slot receiver, but he does not have the arm or the physical build of an SEC QB. If it comes to that, I just hope he doesn't get hurt. If he doesn't get hurt, he would be UK's first QB to escape injury this year.

As with the offense, injuries (Davonte Robinson, Phil Hoskins) have had an impact on our defense. Our front seven has been getting out-quicked by SEC offenses. Quinton Bohanna has not only taken himself out of an opportunity to leave early for the NFL, but he is in such poor physical shape that his starting job should be in jeopardy. It would be, if McCall was in shape. I think we will increasingly see younger, less experienced, more athletic linemen and LBs eating into the playing time of current starters. Ultimately, this should work to the benefit of McCall, Wright, Davis, and Oats. Maybe Peters, although he is still way behind at this point.

Productive seasons are always an intersection of skill and luck. Any team has a limit. From the beginning, this was always going to be a retooling season because replacing Benny, Bunchy, Asafo Adjei, Allen, and the entire starting secondary is a lot to ask. Once Davonte Robinson got hurt, the task became more difficult. Once TW got hurt, it became too steep of a mountain to climb. Once SS got hurt, it became a mismatch. If this team wins six games in the regular season with the current healthy personnel, that would be a more monumental accomplishment than winning nine last year with a better roster. It's too bad, but the buzzards need to get a life and stop trying to destroy our coaching staff. Our coaches deserve better, and have certainly earned our respect before all of our experienced QBs got hurt.

Our 2020 team should have nine returning offensive and seven defensive starters, plus a surplus of quality depth. The key to next year's team will be keeping TW healthy or, alternatively, developing Gilmore. But if either of those alternatives works out satisfactorily, another major bowl game should be in cards for UK. In the meantime, people should recognize that the injuries to TW and SS are an unfortunate fluke. Life isn't always a cakewalk. How we cope with adversity is more important than how we behave when everything is great. Our team and coaches deserve everyone's support. That's how I see it.

Last edited:
Pretty good - and sobering - analysis. At halftime of the Florida game I thought (despite Wilson’s injury) we looked like a 9 win team. We’ve all seen days when Kentucky was beating Florida or Tennessee some some other ranked team for 3 quarters or whatever, only to lose it in the end. On those days Kentucky was playing over it’s head, the other team came out flat, and eventually they’d wake up and prevail. That’s not what I saw this time vs the top 10 Gators. We were having our way, on each side of the line, and simply looked like the better team.

But at some point you simply have to concede none of that matters, and we are what we are.

I hope against hope that of we can somehow find the answer at quarterback all the other issues, even ones unrelated at all to the QB position, will miraculously fix themselves. But.......Gilmore is not ready and won’t be this year. Wilson, gone. Wood, despite his comments Stoops obviously doesn’t have faith he’s capable. Scalzo, gone. Bowden is a receiver, not a long term answer. If Smith doesn’t recover sufficiently to perform at least a good bit better than what we saw in the SC game, there’s not a lot of reason for hope.

Good take. The only thing I disagree with is the offensive problems being only QB related.
I didn't say the offensive problems are only QB related. I described the ineffective play on the left side of the OL.

If you want to blame this season on Eddie Gran, which seems to be what you are hinting, then you are overlooking graduations of Bunchy and Asafo Adjei, Benny's early departure, and injuries to TW and SS.

I believe the generic complaint about play calling, so often seen here, is a massive oversimplification. How many fans study execution by all eleven players? When plays work, play calling looks good. When plays don't work, play calling looks bad. Eddie Gran can't go out on the field and throw passes or block defenders. At some point, players have to do their jobs and execute their assignments. The thing that is killing our offense now is the complete lack of a passing threat, but our OL has not played up to their capabilities.

A couple of points I'd like to make. The first is our DL and OLBs have been better than you think. We are 7 in the league in sacks. I believe we are getting caught comparing this team to last years. There was no way we weren't going to see a drop off. What we needed was a reasonable drop off. And I believe we have achieved that. Taylor and Boogie have been excellent this year. The Jack LB not so much. Again I still believe Paschal is a bit in the wrong spot .But again much of that is due to his recovery so it is what it is. Overall I'm pretty happy with the way our DL has played. The were excellent the first 3 games and poor the last two. But the entire team played poorly the past two so I don't look at that has a structural issue. The team still hasn't recovered from the Florida loss.

OL is basically where I thought they would be when I made my preseason analysis. This team was always going to take a hit in running the ball. Anyone believing otherwise, including Stoops, was fooling themselves. This year's offense needed to be more balanced. Our line is not as good at run blocking as last year's was but it's still serviceable. However it is much better at pass blocking than last year's line was. And that has pretty much held up as expected. The only real surprise there is that Stenberg has really struggled this year and there seems to be no reason for it. This has clearly been his worst season in a UK uniform though. He's basically playing himself down from a possible 4th round pick to out of the draft entirely though. But I don't think this team is missing GAA and Bunchy as much as you stated. As you said above our right side has actually been our best side. Granted we don't have an AA candidate there but it's basically performed as we should have expected it to from the beginning. Again, most the perception that they are struggling is based on expecting us to duplicate what we did last year with Benny. That was never in the cards.

The secondary has been better than I expected at the start of the season, still not very good though. This will likely be a problem that will persist all year. Sure this unit is also suffering from being compared to last years but still they are getting lost in coverage way too much. Tackling has been poor and worst there just isn't much play making going on. Early in Edwards and West's careers they were very mistake prone so it was reasonable to expect this group to be mistake prone. And they have been. The difference was Edwards and West would also make huge plays from time to time. This group hasn't. I do believe Corker and Echols are future stars but I'm not sure what we have besides them.

Receiver play has by far been the biggest disappointment so far. We have much better play makers this year than at any point since Badet and Javess Blue were on the roster. Still the play making has been sub par at best. Bowden needed to be a star for this team to succeed. He just isn't getting the ball. Again this season was going to be a test for Stoops to get out of his comfort zone. He still needs to get the ball to his best player but now his best player isn't a RB it's a receiver. On critical plays we needed to see if we have a way to get the ball in his hands. And we don't. We really aren't even trying. 3rd and 8 and we are not even trying to get the ball to Bowden. Instead we are running wildcat with a RB who is probably our 5th or 6th best player on offense. That just isn't going to work. We have failed to expand our playbook at all. We simply do not have a way to consistently get the ball to a wide receiver.

On RB, again this is what people were warning about here. You lost a generational player. If anyone, including Stoops, believed we would just keep on keeping on then they badly misread the situation. The RBs have so far played about as I expected. And if you were expecting more then you were exaggerating in your mind what we had to work with. The RBs on this team are serviceable play makers. But you can not just put the game in their hands and expect to get wins from it. Trying to get this group of RBs to carry the team is as dumb as it would have been if we tried to get last year's WRs to carry the team instead of Benny. They simply are not the best players you have on this offense. We really need to down grade what we expect from this position. We lost the best RB in school history and let's be honest with ourselves, we replaced him with guys that are average at best RBs for this league. None of the guys on this roster were ever going to lead the SEC in rushing or TDs. It was just never going to happen. These guys are however capable of being respectable 1000 yard rushers and at this point one of them still has a shot at doing that. But what you are seeing from the position is just simply what we had the potential to be there.

Overall the failure of this season has been a couple of things. #1 is of course turnovers. We are not only turning it over a lot but these are back breaking TOs. Just can't have them. Second this team if it was going to win 7+ games it needed to do it throwing the ball. And yet again we suck at throwing the ball. Next to last in the league in both passing yards and TDs. This passing game is if anything worse than last year's. And it was only a little better even with Terry healthy. When you look at those passing numbers and realize that our best player is a WR then you understand the 3 losses. If your best player isn't touching the ball then you aren't winning in the SEC. Our success rate would more than double if Lynn Bowden was the one deciding whether or not we pick up 3rd downs rather than just wildcating it into a pile.

Pretty good - and sobering - analysis.

If Smith doesn’t recover sufficiently to perform at least a good bit better than what we saw in the SC game, there’s not a lot of reason for hope.
Depends on your time frame. I have always been a fan of the art of roster building and development. Stoops has gotten caught short at the QB position because of a fluke convergence of multiple transfers and injuries. This team doesn't have the overall mix of talent and experience that our 2018 team had. Not many teams do. But with TW healthy, I still believe this team would have been pretty good.

But that isn't what happened. TW is out, and SS cannot be the QB we need with injuries to his throwing shoulder and wrist. I think our defense will be okay, but this is a transition period for them.

At the end of the day, our 2020 roster looks loaded. So when we look at the issue of hope, I feel very good about 2020. But as for 2019, this is now a developmental season. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, if it leads to a national ranking in 2020. But it will be interpreted as a bad thing by some impatient fans with a short time frame and an incomplete understanding of the impact of TW's injury on a retooling offense.

OL is getting a bad rap. They mauled Florida. Was mauling msu till we let them jump to the lead with the pick 6. Then had an injured qb much of that game.

SC we had an injured qb which caused a numbers nightmare. An OL just can't block when they're vastly outnumbered at the point of attack

Good take OP. I believe most all of us agree that whatever your thoughts on this year so far are, we are clearly in a stop gap year for what should be another solid year next season based on returning production.

Im starting to believe Mississippi State Sawyer is who he really is. He played great for a lot of Florida but also had some bad plays. He played absolutely awful against Carolina, and its now become clesr he sold the staff on his being healthier than he was.

The bottom line is Arkansas is really just not very good. If he's as healthy as theyre saying in the media, then we should be able to get a fair assessment. Things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

Ive been critical of several things on here this season, but for me, I still remain most critical of the run game (force it, its our bread and butter) and poor tackling angles on defense. Both are things we can fix, and should, if for no other reason than to prepare ourselves for next season if QB play is going to continue to be what it is. If we're going to continue to have poor passing, we may as well work on what we can do well and better ourselves for next year.

A couple of points I'd like to make. The first is our DL and OLBs have been better than you think. We are 7 in the league in sacks.

Most of the sacks happened against Toledo and EMI.

Taylor and Boogie have been excellent this year.

Taylor has been excellent. It is widely recognized that Watson has not played as well as expected, and I described the reasons.

The Jack LB not so much. Again I still believe Paschal is a bit in the wrong spot. But again much of that is due to his recovery so it is what it is.

Agree. As previously discussed. And you are exactly right about Paschal.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way our DL has played.

As discussed, my careful review of my DVR replay of the SC game left me with the opposite conclusion. I take no joy in pointing this out, but SC rushed for 269 yards and 5.4 yards per carry. More importantly, I saw SC's OL pushing UK's DL around for the last three quarters. Bohanna was gassed, gasping with his hands on his hips, at the end of SC's first TD drive. I was surprised, frankly, to see how effectively their OL and TE blocked our LBs at the second level. This is what I saw. It isn't what I wanted to see.

The team still hasn't recovered from the Florida loss.

All football teams have difficult, competitive games. Our coaches preach and teach our players to look ahead and move forward to next week. The main problem lingering from the FL game is SS's wrist injury. If other players haven't gotten over FL, that's a maturity issue. That's what I was talking about when I discussed replacing Benny, Bunchy, Asafo Adjei, Allen, and the entire secondary. But I don't see the FL game as the current problem. We are getting outplayed for the reasons I discussed earlier.

Again, most the perception that they are struggling is based on expecting us to duplicate what we did last year with Benny.
I discussed issues I observed in our five 2019 games. While some people may be making the mistake of comparing this team to our 2018 team, I have not done that. In fact, I have cautioned against it.

Reactions: lz and Ky grandpa
Good take OP.

Much appreciated.

The bottom line is Arkansas is really just not very good.

Arky is young at some key positions, and they have been handled by some strong SEC opponents. But they are a better football team than you are suggesting. I am a fan of our coaching staff. What I am about to say will not make anyone happy. But unless UK plays a whole lot better than we played in our last two games, we won't beat Arky. At the rate SS has been turning the ball over, we can't beat any SEC team. I'm not knocking SS. He is injured, and showing grit. I'm just saying what I see. You can't win SEC games playing like this.

we may as well work on what we can do well and better ourselves for next year.

You never know in advance about injuries. But next year's UK football roster is loaded. As many as 16 returning starters and lots of quality depth. Max Duffy back too. Some positions that are on the thin side this year will be much deeper next year.

:joy:
Sooner or later, everyone has to deal with death of loved ones. It happened for us last week, and it was very sad. So my attention has been on family matters.

This morning, I saw a DVR replay of UK-SC. Until today, the final score was the only thing I knew about the game. Earlier, I attended the two home games and saw the other two on TV.

Offense

UK's running game is averaging 4.7 yards per carry. Benny isn't walking through that door, but this is still a good number. Especially under the circumstances. When you look closely at the SC replay, a couple of things stand out. For one thing, SC was not concerned at all about UK's passing game. Muschamp did a good job of disguising his defenses, but eight defenders were in the box at the snap nearly all day long. Muschamp used all kinds of blitzes, including some creative run blitzes. But UK still managed 4.1 yards per rush in the game, not a bad number at all, given the complete lack of a passing threat.

Of course UK only ran the football 28 times against SC, because we were behind on the scoreboard all day.

In summary, I see two primary problems with our offense. The first one is obvious. TW is out for the season, and SS is very banged up. So, not surprisingly, our QB play has not been good enough to take advantage of opportunities to control tempo of the game and move the football. Not every offensive possession ends in a score. But every offensive possession is an opportunity to flip the field and force the opponent to play on a long field. We simply haven't been getting the QB play necessary to do that. This is not a knock against SS, who is playing hurt. But SS was 13-34 passing against SC, and has turned the football over too much for our football team to be competitive. It is what it is.

The second issue is our OL. I watched our OL closely during the replay of UK-SC. Surprisingly, the left side of our OL is not creating any push. I say surprisingly, because Landon Young and Logan Stenberg were expected to be two of the better players on our offense. Neither played very well against SC, and neither did Drake Jackson. Again, I am not knocking anyone, just saying what I see. Is SC's DL really that good? They may be better than last year, but I didn't expect to see them push Young and Stenberg around. But that's what happened. In particular, Stenberg has not had a very good season so far.

Defense

The story of our defense is pretty much the opposite of what we expected prior to the season. Our secondary, which was considered the weakness of our defense, has played better than expected. Yusuf Corker is an emerging star, and Brandin Echols is turning out to be a very solid player. Other members of the secondary haven't been quite as good, but they are mostly young and will get better.

Our DL, which was considered the strength of our defense, has been outplayed in all three losses. Calvin Taylor has been the best player on our defense, but he gets routinely double-teamed. Taylor will play on Sundays, but SC completely took him out of the game. Quinton Bohanna, considered our best lineman, is overweight and badly out of shape, and has been gassed before the end of the first quarter in all three losses. Marquan McCall is also out of shape, but has outplayed Bohanna when given the opportunity. Phil Hoskins has not played yet because of disciplinary issues and injuries. None of our other linemen has been getting the job done. TJ Carter, who got some preseason headlines, has mainly been a nonfactor. Kordell Looney has not played well, so younger players like Hawkins and Abadi-Fitzgerald are being given a chance to play. This may sound harsh, but I am just saying what I see.

Based on my viewing of the loss to SC, our LBs have been the biggest problem so far. To put it simply, our LBs look slow and are getting blocked. And lots of missed tackles. SC readily handled our LBs. Kash Daniel plays hard, but isn't big enough to make plays unless he puts himself in ideal position on his first read. So far, Daniel has been out of position a lot, and his playing time is on the decline. DeAndre Square, who excelled in the two nonconference games, has been overpowered physically by SEC OLs. Square just isn't very big. None of our edge LBs has played well in the three conference games. There is no pass rush, and they are giving up the edge way too often in the run defense.

Taken as a whole, our defense just hasn't been able to stop two middle of the pack SEC offenses because we haven't been quick enough, strong enough, or sound enough. This kind of thing gets fixed gradually, with player development and reps. But time is not on our side.

What comes next

The current frequency of game changing turnovers by our offense precludes winning conference games, and that potentially includes Arky. Without a passing game, our offense will not be able to move the chains against any SEC defense. The offense is currently predictable and ineffective, and the QB is the problem. Not the HC. Not the OC. I admire SS for playing hurt, and we will never know how this might have gone if he was healthy. But he isn't healthy, and there isn't another QB with any experience behind him. That's a bum deal, but it is what it is.

And since our OL has not yet been able to overcome graduations of Bunchy and Asafo Adjei, the situation upfront is not optimal either.

At some point, either SS will get healthy, or else Stoops and Gran will be forced to turn to some combination of Gilmore and Bowden at QB. Gilmore is talented, but not ready. Some fans have convinced themselves that Bowden is the answer at QB, but I believe they are fooling themselves. Bowden is a fine slot receiver, but he does not have the arm or the physical build of an SEC QB. If it comes to that, I just hope he doesn't get hurt. If he doesn't get hurt, he would be UK's first QB to escape injury this year.

As with the offense, injuries (Davonte Robinson, Phil Hoskins) have had an impact on our defense. Our front seven has been getting out-quicked by SEC offenses. Quinton Bohanna has not only taken himself out of an opportunity to leave early for the NFL, but he is in such poor physical shape that his starting job should be in jeopardy. It would be, if McCall was in shape. I think we will increasingly see younger, less experienced, more athletic linemen and LBs eating into the playing time of current starters. Ultimately, this should work to the benefit of McCall, Wright, Davis, and Oats. Maybe Peters, although he is still way behind at this point.

Productive seasons are always an intersection of skill and luck. Any team has a limit. From the beginning, this was always going to be a retooling season because replacing Benny, Bunchy, Asafo Adjei, Allen, and the entire starting secondary is a lot to ask. Once Davonte Robinson got hurt, the task became more difficult. Once TW got hurt, it became too steep of a mountain to climb. Once SS got hurt, it became a mismatch. If this team wins six games in the regular season with the current healthy personnel, that would be a more monumental accomplishment than winning nine last year with a better roster. It's too bad, but the buzzards need to get a life and stop trying to destroy our coaching staff. Our coaches deserve better, and have certainly earned our respect before all of our experienced QBs got hurt.

Our 2020 team should have nine returning offensive and seven defensive starters, plus a surplus of quality depth. The key to next year's team will be keeping TW healthy or, alternatively, developing Gilmore. But if either of those alternatives works out satisfactorily, another major bowl game should be in cards for UK. In the meantime, people should recognize that the injuries to TW and SS are an unfortunate fluke. Life isn't always a cakewalk. How we cope with adversity is more important than how we behave when everything is great. Our team and coaches deserve everyone's support. That's how I see it.

Well that settles that, :cheers2::joy:

Offense

Defense

What comes next

Productive seasons are always an intersection of skill and luck. Any team has a limit. From the beginning, this was always going to be a retooling season because replacing Benny, Bunchy, Asafo Adjei, Allen, and the entire starting secondary is a lot to ask. Once Davonte Robinson got hurt, the task became more difficult. Once TW got hurt, it became too steep of a mountain to climb. Once SS got hurt, it became a mismatch. If this team wins six games in the regular season with the current healthy personnel, that would be a more monumental accomplishment than winning nine last year with a better roster. It's too bad, but the buzzards need to get a life and stop trying to destroy our coaching staff. Our coaches deserve better, and have certainly earned our respect before all of our experienced QBs got hurt. Too

Too long to read this entire thing. I'm old and drink too much gin. But glossing over it, I think you are generally correct. However, your criticism of the defense is misplaced. This team lost at Mississippi State and South Carolina because of the offense. Our defense was on the field too long, but still got off the field on third down. The run defense gives up too many yards early, but we have done good getting off of the field. It just doesn't help because our offense goes 3 and out and we send a bunch of gassed guys back out there. If the offense get its shit together, we will be fine. That is a big if though.

Good take. The only thing I disagree with is the offensive problems being only QB related. Sawyer Smith has not been here for 7 years and this offense has stunk for all seven years that Stoops has been here.

Which years was UK’s offense prolific before Stoops got here? Kentucky has struggled putting up a lot of points for awhile now and it didn’t just start with Stoops.

Offense

Defense

What comes next

Great post. Sorry for your loss.

Which years was UK’s offense prolific before Stoops got here? Kentucky has struggled putting up a lot of points for awhile now and it didn’t just start with Stoops.
For the 20 seasons before this one (99-19), here are the averages:
Rush Off - 73
Pass Off - 71
Total Off - 78
Points - 71
Rush Def - 87
Pass Def - 54
Total Def - 75
Points - 75
In Stoops 7 seasons (including this one so far), the numbers are:
Off - 62/94/88/84
Def - 87/52/71/68
EDIT: I found a couple of errors, numbers updated.

Last edited:

Offense

Defense

What comes next

Good perspective. Sorry for your loss.

Rush Off - 73
Pass Off - 70
Total Off - 80
Points - 72
Rush Def - 82
Pass Def - 57
Total Def - 73
Points - 74
Off - 62/91/91/85
Def - 76/60/70/65

So we are historically bad, but a little worst now than on average?

Im starting to believe Mississippi State Sawyer is who he really is. He played great for a lot of Florida but also had some bad plays. He played absolutely awful against Carolina, and its now become clesr he sold the staff on his being healthier than he was.

Florida is basically who Smith is. He screwed up his wrist in the 3rd quarter of that game, but continued to play well while the adrenaline was pumping. Will make some questionable decisions but his aggression will also pay off in big plays.

He came into MSU with a wrist problem (still not great for a passing QB)...he tried to avoid landing on his wrist and his shoulder took the full force of a sack in the 2nd quarter. He's played the last 7 quarters with a screwed up throwing wrist and shoulder. The shoulder was in a sling leading up to the SC game...Walker Wood and Bowden took 1st string reps before the SC game early in game week. It was obvious to most eyes he shouldn't have been playing past the 1Q vs SC.

Prior to wrist Injury - 18/26 (69%), 240 yards, 3 TDs & 1 INT
Post wrist injury - 36/91 (39%), 425 yards, 1 TD & 4 INTs

Broken down further - post wrist & shoulder injury (21/64 -32%, 268 yards)

Last edited:
I didn't say the offensive problems are only QB related. I described the ineffective play on the left side of the OL.

If you want to blame this season on Eddie Gran, which seems to be what you are hinting, then you are overlooking graduations of Bunchy and Asafo Adjei, Benny's early departure, and injuries to TW and SS.

I believe the generic complaint about play calling, so often seen here, is a massive oversimplification. How many fans study execution by all eleven players? When plays work, play calling looks good. When plays don't work, play calling looks bad. Eddie Gran can't go out on the field and throw passes or block defenders. At some point, players have to do their jobs and execute their assignments. The thing that is killing our offense now is the complete lack of a passing threat, but our OL has not played up to their capabilities.
They complain about being conservative, then when we pass they complain weshould have run the ball

Rush Off - 73
Pass Off - 70
Total Off - 80
Points - 72
Rush Def - 82
Pass Def - 57
Total Def - 73
Points - 74
Off - 62/91/91/85
Def - 76/60/70/65

What are the numbers? Rankings?

Defense wise...

We are ranked 74th in the nation in total defense and currently give up 395.8ypg

We are 88th in rushing defense with 171.2ypga

We are 47th in 'team passing efficiency defense' with 122.44ypga

We are 53rd in scoring defense with 24.4 against.

We were ranked 92nd in total defense with 426.9.

Rushing defense was ranked 78th at 175.3.

Passing efficiency defense was 100th at 139.59

Scoring defense was at 75 with 28.2ppga.

Look, outside of UGA, schedule is about to get super easier. We can see what this team is made of really quick. The key games are Arkansas and UT (bye week before UT). If we can win those two, we have Vandy, UT Martin and UL left. We could easily win all 3 of those to get to 7-5. I don't see it against Missouri guys. My point is we need positive momentum going down the home stretch and cannot afford to lose to Arkansas or UT IMO

A couple of points I'd like to make. The first is our DL and OLBs have been better than you think. We are 7 in the league in sacks. I believe we are getting caught comparing this team to last years. There was no way we weren't going to see a drop off. What we needed was a reasonable drop off. And I believe we have achieved that. Taylor and Boogie have been excellent this year. The Jack LB not so much. Again I still believe Paschal is a bit in the wrong spot .But again much of that is due to his recovery so it is what it is. Overall I'm pretty happy with the way our DL has played. The were excellent the first 3 games and poor the last two. But the entire team played poorly the past two so I don't look at that has a structural issue. The team still hasn't recovered from the Florida loss.

OL is basically where I thought they would be when I made my preseason analysis. This team was always going to take a hit in running the ball. Anyone believing otherwise, including Stoops, was fooling themselves. This year's offense needed to be more balanced. Our line is not as good at run blocking as last year's was but it's still serviceable. However it is much better at pass blocking than last year's line was. And that has pretty much held up as expected. The only real surprise there is that Stenberg has really struggled this year and there seems to be no reason for it. This has clearly been his worst season in a UK uniform though. He's basically playing himself down from a possible 4th round pick to out of the draft entirely though. But I don't think this team is missing GAA and Bunchy as much as you stated. As you said above our right side has actually been our best side. Granted we don't have an AA candidate there but it's basically performed as we should have expected it to from the beginning. Again, most the perception that they are struggling is based on expecting us to duplicate what we did last year with Benny. That was never in the cards.

The secondary has been better than I expected at the start of the season, still not very good though. This will likely be a problem that will persist all year. Sure this unit is also suffering from being compared to last years but still they are getting lost in coverage way too much. Tackling has been poor and worst there just isn't much play making going on. Early in Edwards and West's careers they were very mistake prone so it was reasonable to expect this group to be mistake prone. And they have been. The difference was Edwards and West would also make huge plays from time to time. This group hasn't. I do believe Corker and Echols are future stars but I'm not sure what we have besides them.

Receiver play has by far been the biggest disappointment so far. We have much better play makers this year than at any point since Badet and Javess Blue were on the roster. Still the play making has been sub par at best. Bowden needed to be a star for this team to succeed. He just isn't getting the ball. Again this season was going to be a test for Stoops to get out of his comfort zone. He still needs to get the ball to his best player but now his best player isn't a RB it's a receiver. On critical plays we needed to see if we have a way to get the ball in his hands. And we don't. We really aren't even trying. 3rd and 8 and we are not even trying to get the ball to Bowden. Instead we are running wildcat with a RB who is probably our 5th or 6th best player on offense. That just isn't going to work. We have failed to expand our playbook at all. We simply do not have a way to consistently get the ball to a wide receiver.

On RB, again this is what people were warning about here. You lost a generational player. If anyone, including Stoops, believed we would just keep on keeping on then they badly misread the situation. The RBs have so far played about as I expected. And if you were expecting more then you were exaggerating in your mind what we had to work with. The RBs on this team are serviceable play makers. But you can not just put the game in their hands and expect to get wins from it. Trying to get this group of RBs to carry the team is as dumb as it would have been if we tried to get last year's WRs to carry the team instead of Benny. They simply are not the best players you have on this offense. We really need to down grade what we expect from this position. We lost the best RB in school history and let's be honest with ourselves, we replaced him with guys that are average at best RBs for this league. None of the guys on this roster were ever going to lead the SEC in rushing or TDs. It was just never going to happen. These guys are however capable of being respectable 1000 yard rushers and at this point one of them still has a shot at doing that. But what you are seeing from the position is just simply what we had the potential to be there.

Overall the failure of this season has been a couple of things. #1 is of course turnovers. We are not only turning it over a lot but these are back breaking TOs. Just can't have them. Second this team if it was going to win 7+ games it needed to do it throwing the ball. And yet again we suck at throwing the ball. Next to last in the league in both passing yards and TDs. This passing game is if anything worse than last year's. And it was only a little better even with Terry healthy. When you look at those passing numbers and realize that our best player is a WR then you understand the 3 losses. If your best player isn't touching the ball then you aren't winning in the SEC. Our success rate would more than double if Lynn Bowden was the one deciding whether or not we pick up 3rd downs rather than just wildcating it into a pile.
I agree with Paschal and with Rembrandts take that we are getting outquicked. I also agree out big boy up front on D are getting blocked way to easily and think moving one of them out and moving Pashal down would add some much needed mobilit and quickness up front that we need.

Beef is nice if you're getting a disruptive push, if not your just taking up space and need guys that can create space off blocks to actually make tackles between the tackles so our LB's can stay in space to move laterally to make plays themselves instead of having to rush up into the pile and get stuck on blocks themselves with no visiion to make plays.

I agree with Paschal and with Rembrandts take that we are getting outquicked. I also agree out big boy up front on D are getting blocked way to easily and think moving one of them out and moving Pashal down would add some much needed mobilit and quickness up front that we need.

Beef is nice if you're getting a disruptive push, if not your just taking up space and need guys that can create space off blocks to actually make tackles between the tackles so our LB's can stay in space to move laterally to make plays themselves instead of having to rush up into the pile and get stuck on blocks themselves with no visiion to make plays.

Our front 7 on defense has not been nearly as stout against the run as I expected. I just hate seeing college players that weigh 340 or 350, especially on defense. Only a handful of NFL players can play effectively at that weight, no way college kids can do so. No question in my mind that Paschal is out of position, put him at DE where he belongs, opens up a spot for a smaller faster player, and we improve at two spots.

By the way, great analysis to the OP. Are you a coach somewhere?

Rembrandt, I just read your OP for the first time. Let me first say you have my condolences with your loss. My family went through that last year.

Secondly, let me say your OP is one of the best "analytical" football post I have ever read on this board...and I have been here a very long time. I don't do "likes" but your OP deserves plenty of them. An excellent top level look at things and not how you block a 4 technique on an outside zone read play.

About the only point I might be tempted to argue (and strictly in a generic sense) is, except for the usual suspects, a bunch of returning starters does not necessarily mean "substantial" improvement over the previous year. As you said a bit earlier: "Productive seasons are always an intersection of skill and luck." I think that pretty well describes the Cat's 2018 season. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, terrific post. I'll now read what others think! :clap:

Peace

Reactions: Pervis_Griffith

Offense

Defense

What comes next

First I'm so sorry for you loss, may the grace of the Lord hold you up.
Thanks for a fair, truthful and sensible post without throwing anyone under the bus. Also I think team psyche has much to do with the team's performance. Any team must believe their going to play well going into a game. With the injuries we've had at key positions it's hard to keep all in the positive mode needed to preform well. Confidence that your going to win and play well is so important. I don't think we went into the SC game expecting to win. Our body language was bad from the start.

First I'm so sorry for you loss, may the grace of the Lord hold you up.
Thanks for a fair, truthful and sensible post without throwing anyone under the bus. Also I think team psyche has much to do with the team's performance. Any team must believe their going to play well going into a game. With the injuries we've had at key positions it's hard to keep all in the positive mode needed to preform well. Confidence that your going to win and play well is so important. I don't think we went into the SC game expecting to win. Our body language was bad from the start.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The competition never stops. It may be true that some players lack the confidence and mental toughness to fight through hard times. Those players fall down the depth chart when our coaches see insufficient effort or bad body language.

Reactions: SECCountry75
OL is getting a bad rap. They mauled Florida. Was mauling msu till we let them jump to the lead with the pick 6. Then had an injured qb much of that game.

SC we had an injured qb which caused a numbers nightmare. An OL just can't block when they're vastly outnumbered at the point of attack

Terry being able to get away from pressure hid a lot of the oline’s weaknesses. Pass protection is our weakest point.

Terry being able to get away from pressure hid a lot of the oline’s weaknesses. Pass protection is our weakest point.

If that were true then why'd we allow only one sack against Florida?

It's a numbers game. Sawyer got hurt then started holding the ball. Plus he was not a threat to run on any rpo so the defenses just overwhelmed us.

The OL can play better for sure. But they're not the scapegoat everyone makes them out to be.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

It's a numbers game. Sawyer got hurt then started holding the ball. Plus he was not a threat to run on any rpo so the defenses just overwhelmed us.

The OL can play better for sure. But they're not the scapegoat everyone makes them out to be.

Well he had a fumble and 3 interceptions, it would say that pressure caused some of this to happen plus there was hardly no film on SS so I’m sure Fla didn’t plan that game like they would today.

Well he had a fumble and 3 interceptions, it would say that pressure caused some of this to happen plus there was hardly no film on SS so I’m sure Fla didn’t plan that game like they would today.

He did but wasn't rushed on any. The fumble he should've fell on. First pick was awful. Second probably miscommunication but didn't completely kill us. Third was desperation.

Take that over to msu. We're mauling them first drive. Ripping off runs (we did all day really). Then first throw - pick 6. Was under no pressure at all. Just stared down rigg and didn't see the LB.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Rembrandt, I just read your OP for the first time. Let me first say you have my condolences with your loss. My family went through that last year.

Secondly, let me say your OP is one of the best "analytical" football post I have ever read on this board...and I have been here a very long time. I don't do "likes" but your OP deserves plenty of them. An excellent top level look at things and not how you block a 4 technique on an outside zone read play.

About the only point I might be tempted to argue (and strictly in a generic sense) is, except for the usual suspects, a bunch of returning starters does not necessarily mean "substantial" improvement over the previous year. As you said a bit earlier: "Productive seasons are always an intersection of skill and luck." I think that pretty well describes the Cat's 2018 season. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, terrific post. I'll now read what others think! :clap:

Peace
"Productive seasons are always an intersection of skill and luck." And, the corollary is that this pretty well describes the current season as well.

Reactions: SECCountry75

Offense

Defense

What comes next

Who are you? You aren't the usual poster. You know football.

One of the more interesting threads. The most salient point of this discussion is that getting better play out of our qbacks is the most important key to saving the season. It is not the only key, but it is the bread and butter. Sawyer Smith gets healthier and more efficient, or else Gilmore steps up as the next guy. One or the other. I am afraid I agree Bowden is not the answer. Bowden is a weapon as a receiver. But let's not kid ourselves. There is no evidence that Bowden would be a weapon as a qback. The only consequential pass I have seen Bowden throw was thrown to Terry Wilson on a deception play. Wilson is gone, and there is not a whole lot of room for deception now. We should not expose Bowden to the punishment a qback absorbs.

Here is my theory about the defense. Three DCs in 4 years. Gradual improvement over that time because the talent level has gotten better. But the transition from House to White has not been seamless. I am a fan of White. But players need consistency in messaging. It is obvious some guys did not work hard enough in the offseason. People can say whatever they want about it, but 4-5 key guys on our defense obviously read their press clippings during the offseason and forgot to get all their prep work and conditioning done. Although a couple have already been brought up, I do not need to name the names. Everyone here who has played football knows which players I am thinking about. This defense needs better leadership from those guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mojocat
Much appreciated.

Arky is young at some key positions, and they have been handled by some strong SEC opponents. But they are a better football team than you are suggesting. I am a fan of our coaching staff. What I am about to say will not make anyone happy. But unless UK plays a whole lot better than we played in our last two games, we won't beat Arky. At the rate SS has been turning the ball over, we can't beat any SEC team. I'm not knocking SS. He is injured, and showing grit. I'm just saying what I see. You can't win SEC games playing like this.

You never know in advance about injuries. But next year's UK football roster is loaded. As many as 16 returning starters and lots of quality depth. Max Duffy back too. Some positions that are on the thin side this year will be much deeper next year.
Agreed. The question to me is are we going to get the Hogs who shriveled up at hole against San Jose State, or manned up and almost beat Texas A&M on the road? The same question holds true for Sawyer, for our OL, for our LBs. Whos going to show up Saturday. I still believe if Vanderbilt isnt the worst team in the SEC this year, then its Arkansas. But if we play the way we have the last two games, then we will lose. The team has hopefully spent the last two weeks getting their minds back in track and ignoring those of us on the outside commenting. We'll know at 7 what kind of grit this team has.

No, they arent, but there were probably just as many times where Sawyer held it too long as to where he had 2 seconds v S Carolina to get rid of it. I guess my point is there's plenty of blame to go around there for what we saw and it was on a play by play basis. I agree you cant blame them for the run game that day when Carolina loaded the LoS on us.

About the only point I might be tempted to argue (and strictly in a generic sense) is, except for the usual suspects, a bunch of returning starters does not necessarily mean "substantial" improvement over the previous year.
I guess I will take the other side on this one. An extra year of experience always leads to some improvement for college football players unless the player is hurt or not focused for some reason.

The biggest issue for most teams is which players graduated, not just which players are back. If you lose your best players, that is a problem. That is where we are now. But when large numbers of players are returning, and especially when almost all of your best players are returning, your team will get better. That is where we should be a year from now.

ADVERTISEMENT