ADVERTISEMENT

This is my team

Nope. I am not "hateful," and I will not accept "a new normal" of failure. That's not hate. That's having standards and wanting success for the program. Some might even consider it "the gold standard." We are slowly being driven to mediocrity or worse as a basketball program. Whether some of the frogs here don't yet realize we are slowly simmering, doesn't negate the reality. I mean do only a few of us see how this story ends on the path we are on? It ends in Indiana status. (No offense to our fully boiled Hoosier 🐸's. )

misery loves company, and there are some people who are only happy when they are pissed off. the anger is what keeps them warm at night. negative people seek negative reinforcement to confirm their bias. they cannot enjoy any success and sit by waiting for a negative event to say, "see, i told you i was right!".

What is the point of a message board if not to express your point of view and debate with those with differing points of views? It would be pretty boring if we (figuratively) all held hands and sang Kumbaya.

The extremists do get a bit tiresome sometimes, but I usually find them entertaining overall.

I like to stay fairly neutral and let the Sunshine pumpers and Debbie downers fight it out.

It does bother me sometimes when I get lumped in with one side of the other. You can’t say anything nice about Cal or you are labeled a Cal lover. You can’t criticize Cal at all or you are a Cal hater. But that’s just the nature of the beast, I suppose.

What is the point of a message board if not to express your point of view and debate with those with differing points of views? It would be pretty boring if we (figuratively) all held hands and sang Kumbaya.

The extremists do get a bit tiresome sometimes, but I usually find them entertaining overall.

I like to stay fairly neutral and let the Sunshine pumpers and Debbie downers fight it out.

It does bother me sometimes when I get lumped in with one side of the other. You can’t say anything nice about Cal or you are labeled a Cal lover. You can’t criticize Cal at all or you are a Cal hater. But that’s just the nature of the beast, I suppose.
STFU CAL PUMPER
:p ;)

What is the point of a message board if not to express your point of view and debate with those with differing points of views?
Debate?

0*X2RIVVAY-KPiTVpT

Because I haven't gone to bed yet, I think I can respond one more time. Your memes are all funny, and I get you guys making fun of me. But, surely the rest of you have to agree this board has become the same shit, over and over and over. The same posts, every night, over and over. It is exhausting. So I'm bailing and everyone can kiss my old ass until the tournament starts. If we make the tournament and I live until then, I'll talk to you then.
Well to be fair…when what we see on the court is the same shit over and over…

Nope. I am not "hateful," and I will not accept "a new normal" of failure. That's not hate. That's having standards and wanting success for the program. Some might even consider it "the gold standard." We are slowly being driven to mediocrity or worse as a basketball program. Whether some of the frogs here don't yet realize we are slowly simmering, doesn't negate the reality. I mean do only a few of us see how this story ends on the path we are on? It ends in Indiana status. (No offense to our fully boiled Hoosier 🐸's. )
I mean..if UK becomes the next IU, will it adversely affect your life?

• Wow
Reactions: catben
All of the complaining has worn me out. I'm out until the tournament starts. I am going to cheer this team on and hope they win every game. You naysayers that just bitch wear me out. So, I'm going off the board for a bit just to watch how this plays out. Listening to the negativity has become too much for my old ass. LET'S GO CATS.
I feel you but a lot of the complaining is justified. This is KENTUCKY. We'd be Tennessee if we didn't demand success. I get worn out too but you'll get toasted for posting that.

Great post man. You nailed it.

All of the complaining has worn me out. I'm out until the tournament starts. I am going to cheer this team on and hope they win every game. You naysayers that just bitch wear me out. So, I'm going off the board for a bit just to watch how this plays out. Listening to the negativity has become too much for my old ass. LET'S GO CATS.
OMG ! How will we EVER survive without you! LMFAO !

I sort of understand how the OP feels.
This is what is the most important thing in my opinion what has gone wrong with our society, country in general; the loss of conversation where two people can disagree but still act civil to each other.
I like watching the news, namely Fox, so yes I am a conservative person but my business has taught me many things but the biggest thing I have learned owning and running my business is to accept others and not judge them even though I disagree with what they say, how they live or act. Quite simply, it is none of my business and it only affects me if I let it.

But these last few years watching the news has gotten me where the OP is; what is the use when it is the same old BS everyday. You never see much in regards to a "feel good news story", it is always one side bashing the other. It just is not enjoyable anymore watching Tucker, Hannity, Waters, Fox in general.

The exact same can be said about UK basketball these last few years. Even if you approve of the job Coach Cal has/is doing, there is no way in hell anyone can say watching UK these days is truly enjoyable these days. This board is a perfect example of that.
I like to think every poster on here wants the best for UK; to see them win, players excel and have fun talking about today's game and next years class coming in.
Now it is always negative crap due to what happens on the court, off the court, our coach talking down to the fans; just noting but negative crap.
How can anyone call themselves a UK fan who supports what is happening when we hope to win a game, hope to get in the NCAA, hope this player or that player does not transfer, hope this player plays this game, hope the coach leaves or stays.

What was once enjoyable is no longer.
But I keep watching the news only because I want to know what these fools are doing now, what else they are going to shove up our ass, and I say the same about UK basketball; I keep watching hoping things change.
At this point all we have is hope.

This has been a very entertaining thread, mostly. But it really is a retread of reactions of normal UK fan responses from over the years (see Tubby years).

We had similar reactions to Tubby's failures after his successes. Me being a member of the LOD during those days have in recent years mellowed to the Tubby years and am in the hang his jersey in the rafter's group (deserved, won a championship). People will probably feel the same way after Cal is gone, but for now, he deserves most of the criticism for the state of the program.

Last edited:
a zone for negativity goes hand in hand with bad basketball

fix one and the other goes away.

refuse to fix it but demand support anyways and it leads to confrontation.

I also really don't understand the "I come here to talk basketball" stuff.

This board is full of stats and while I get that negativity is pervasive, there is no shortage of stat threads.

Give me an example of basketball talk that you want to see on here?

Do you want a "Wheeler had a good game with 9 assists and zero turnovers" and then 14 responses that say "yes he did"

I think the bigger issue here is the pretense of being positive with the intent to set off a firestorm of comments, and yes it works the other way where someone will post a negative thread.

But the negative thread totals correlate to the quality of basketball being played.

I think you missed my main point. The negativity is at an all time high level. You would realize that if you've been on these boards as long as I have. I don't object to critism at all and Cal deserves a good deal of that. But, it has come to a level where you read the exact same harsh comments on here all the time. Even a thread meant to recognize something good that happened with a game or the program is quickly turned into a hate Cal thread with the same comments over and over. Nothing new being brought up, just the same ole negative attacks. I'm not, at all, defending Cal, I just get tired of the monotonous remarks that offer nothing new.

As for basketball talk it can take on many different forms about both Kentucky basketball as well as college basketball in general. It can regard recruiting as well as there has been some stuff going on there lately too. It coukd even include Kentucky high school ball and what's going on with our current recruits as well as other things regarding basketball in our own state. There are endless topics that can be included. Of course, critism of the coach can be included too, not saying that's off limits.

If some of our current players have an outstanding game is it bad to discuss that and give them kudos? If it includes Wheeler, are you really so hateful of the kid that you can't accept others being happy for him? I've been all for Wheeler seeing way fewer minutes but if he has a very good game, why not give him some recognition? I just don't care for the attacks and insinuations made on posters who say something positive. Aren't we supposed to be supportive of our guys even if you dislike the coach? It's getting tougher to say anything nice on here about the team without suffering criticism. Shouldn't be that way if we're all UK fans. That's all I got.

I think you missed my main point. The negativity is at an all time high level. You would realize that if you've been on these boards as long as I have. I don't object to critism at all and Cal deserves a good deal of that. But, it has come to a level where you read the exact same harsh comments on here all the time. Even a thread meant to recognize something good that happened with a game or the program is quickly turned into a hate Cal thread with the same comments over and over. Nothing new being brought up, just the same ole negative attacks. I'm not, at all, defending Cal, I just get tired of the monotonous remarks that offer nothing new.

As for basketball talk it can take on many different forms about both Kentucky basketball as well as college basketball in general. It can regard recruiting as well as there has been some stuff going on there lately too. It coukd even include Kentucky high school ball and what's going on with our current recruits as well as other things regarding basketball in our own state. There are endless topics that can be included. Of course, critism of the coach can be included too, not saying that's off limits.

If some of our current players have an outstanding game is it bad to discuss that and give them kudos? If it includes Wheeler, are you really so hateful of the kid that you can't accept others being happy for him? I've been all for Wheeler seeing way fewer minutes but if he has a very good game, why not give him some recognition? I just don't care for the attacks and insinuations made on posters who say something positive. Aren't we supposed to be supportive of our guys even if you dislike the coach? It's getting tougher to say anything nice on here about the team without suffering criticism. Shouldn't be that way if we're all UK fans. That's all I got.

your post reads like if someone make a post about Wheeler in a positive light then someone comes on here and proceeds to insult your mother , when I see alot of "he sucks" for various reasons . Now I personally try not to cross a line in regards to any player, admittedly I'm down on Wheeler more than my personal tolerance usually allows and it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Cal. I think we are all in agreement on that.

but that is a big reason why you can't talk about Wheeler in isolation, or any player really because Cal refuses to play the most efficient team he can put on the court that gives us the greatest change to win.

the negativity is at an all time high because Kentucky basketball is , since the inception of message boards, at an all time low

there is a direct correlation and that isn't changing, its like saying I hate the humidity in the summer.

but at the end of the day, if you say "I think X" and someone says, "no your wrong, its Y" its gets personal only when a person thinks they are being attacked.

We've all seen it, but its both sides that are contributing.

I personally believe the solution its to call out both sides of the argument for making it personal, but I don't typically call out posters ( I did for the first time today in a long time and then I felt guilty about it afterwards)

but I really, honestly feel like its more about I like Wheeler and I'm getting pissed that everyone keeps talking garbage about he needs to be on the bench, not true personal attacks.

This board is what makes UK basketball tolerable for me.

and whether the "I want a happy kumbaya message board " people believe or not, the warranted criticism on here is a reminder to the program the fans aren't happy. Providing an outlet for them keeps them fans.

The other alternative is apathy. If only the happy fans came on and talked about Wheelers 9 assists and how awesome that was, there would be about 1/4 of the people that post here and it would be an echo chamber.

That is the start of a death spiral on a message board.

You really want a board like Louisville? A handful of regulars and mods who shut down every conversation they don't like?
Venting on this board probably keeps marriages together!

Yeah Im good , the board is like it always is .. happier when we have a good team , mad as hell and pissed off when things are bad . IMO it might be worth adding we have never .. not even close , had a coach be so adversarial . Lot easier to accept bad results when the guy isnt feeding the fan base nonsense on quite normal basis ... not crying , not bitching , its called reality . I started a " basketball " thread yesterday , nearly no one responded for about 6-7 hours it seemed . People are totally over Coach Cal . A solid majority . That seems to drive the minority insane
I've made posts nobody responded ever. Most of my posts...wait a minute

Isn’t this the new fire Cal.com site? It’s obvious that Jed allows it to be that way because he wants Cal gone as well and welcomes the hate. Moderators are supposed to be neutral. He’s far from it and even posts threads validating it. I remember him proclaiming that this was the best UK site on the internet. Best fire Cal.com site, bar none.
Greetings, fellow Wildcat fan

It won't ever go away. Even with the wish lists of coaching replacements, there are still outrageous arguments and bickering. I'm afraid this kind of discourse is here for good, regardless of who coaches.

Really, the only time I've seen the hate somewhat hidden from sight is when we've been winning, both this and last year. That 4 game win streak was a nice reprieve from the incessant hate posts. Let's just hope we can put on a good run here in Feb and March and get a couple nice wins in the NCAAT. It will be refreshing to talk bball again and not fight with everyone.
The "Hate" word is thrown out a lot on this board define "Hate" I would like to know its definition on "here".

Reactions: Ugoff
The "Hate" word is thrown out a lot on this board define "Hate" I would like to know its definition on "here".
Probably a couple of levels, if not more.

Those that literally hate the man as a human being and all he stands for - this is tops on their list, and they don't care if Cal wins championships, they hate his politics and his goals in life. There are a few around here, but not many. One we all know every well - the woman of blue, bluewoman, who even moderates the worst anti-Cal message board on earth under another handle ruppsrunts. I'd probably also label LowCountryCat as another, although he appears to hate fans more than the coach sometimes (which is why I think he got the permaban and returned as GoToTexas).

Then there are those that hate Cal's coaching and overall style, including how he talks in press conferences, but do appreciate what he does for Kentucky.

Then there are the fans that hate other fans because they don't always agree with them.

You could probably use the Urban slang of "hate" and it'll cover most scenarios here on this board.

Hate Urban Slang Meanings

Reactions: jrm693
Probably a couple of levels, if not more.

Those that literally hate the man as a human being and all he stands for - this is tops on their list, and they don't care if Cal wins championships, they hate his politics and his goals in life. There are a few around here, but not many. One we all know every well - the woman of blue, bluewoman, who even moderates the worst anti-Cal message board on earth under another handle ruppsrunts. I'd probably also label LowCountryCat as another, although he appears to hate fans more than the coach sometimes (which is why I think he got the permaban and returned as GoToTexas).

Then there are those that hate Cal's coaching and overall style, including how he talks in press conferences, but do appreciate what he does for Kentucky.

Then there are the fans that hate other fans because they don't always agree with them.

You could probably use the Urban slang of "hate" and it'll cover most scenarios here on this board.

Hate Urban Slang Meanings
I appreciate your response..I had come to think it is being used too much, most especially a label that has increasingly being used in society as a whole against someone that differs in their opinion than the opinion you might have. I am a farmer and when I produce a product that doesn't meet standards of the grain company or Tobacco company they "Dock" that product because it is not up to the standards they have set and you either cant sell it or receive a lessor amount for that product. My wife works at the bank and every year she along with all other employees receive a evaluation for their performance during that calendar year and they either retain their employment or are terminated if they have X number of infractions. I believe in nearly every field of employment they are evaluated and either retained or not. I realize coaching College Basketball is a whole different animal and they hire based on what expectations are.

I personally think Cal is a great person, as a matter of fact as we all have seen he has been a great ambassador for UK and helped in natural disasters, and done all he can to help out anyway that he is been able too. I have taken my grandson to several of his camps and he has made himself available to all fans. In fact other the only thing that I know of that he has done that troubles me is kneeling for the flag, I love my Country and I know so many have suffered and died for that flag and what it stands for, if he felt that way he should not have done that while representing UK and the many fans that it represents. I think many of the posters on this board probably are of a
hardworking people that have lived their lives similar to the way I have. All these things do not constitute hate it constitutes a love for the program and the anticipation and enjoyment of basketball season every year, my opinion that he is not performing his job doesn't mean I hate him I just would like to see him right the ship or make a change of venue would be good for him and us.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. I've had the feeling lately that this board has become just a zone for negativity and it is no longer fun to come on here looking for good basketball discussion. I have questioned Cal and said a few things against him but I would rather read and talk more about actual basketball than to see all the negative stuff so often. And, as some pointed out, if you even suggest something positive you are attacked as a Cal lover instead of just talking about the game. It does get very tiring and I could see the future of this board being a very dim one. Used to be THE place to come for UK basketball news and talk. Been a member for a very long time but finding it more and more boring to check in on things each day.
You may not like the content but the board activity seems as good as ever. I suspect it will be just fine without you.

Reactions: UKortho
You may not like the content but the board activity seems as good as ever. I suspect it will be just fine without you.

Sorry to disappoint you but I didn't say I was leaving. Can't seem to give an opinion these days because someone is offended or feels a need to criticize. Take it easy.

Sorry to disappoint you but I didn't say I was leaving. Can't seem to give an opinion these days because someone is offended or feels a need to criticize. Take it easy.
My apologies. I thought you were considering leaving because of negativity.

PS .. to the OP .. you have been nothing but a total jerk to me , but I still dont want you to drink your self to death in your old age . Get some support and dry out . Dont go out like this . Good luck , I mean that , but get some help
I'm back, still drinking gin, and UK won a tournament game. I've never been a jerk to you, I've just pointed out your hypocrisy. I guess that bothers you. Nonetheless, I'm willing to let bygones be bygones and cheer the Cats on together if you are. By the way, thanks for the advice.

I'm back, still drinking gin, and UK won a tournament game. I've never been a jerk to you, I've just pointed out your hypocrisy. I guess that bothers you. Nonetheless, I'm willing to let bygones be bygones and cheer the Cats on together if you are. By the way, thanks for the advice.
I'm with you on the board negativity. The board should be a place to talk about criticisms and vent frustrations and talk about things that are not all cookies and roses. BUT, when that sentiment is in every single thread, even when it isn't relevant to the topic and 50% of the topics are all some variation of the same complaints and we end up with 37 nicknames for our coach, to disparage him, it just becomes way too much. Welcome back, glad we took home the W!

I'm with you on the board negativity. The board should be a place to talk about criticisms and vent frustrations and talk about things that are not all cookies and roses. BUT, when that sentiment is in every single thread, even when it isn't relevant to the topic and 50% of the topics are all some variation of the same complaints and we end up with 37 nicknames for our coach, to disparage him, it just becomes way too much. Welcome back, glad we took home the W!
I'm 86 years old, so maybe it is a younger thing, but the stupid nicknames for our coach, and other coaches (Pimptino, etc.) and our opponents (UNCheats, PUKE) etc. (yes, etc. not ect.) are very sophomoric and stupid in my opinion, but I only have one opinion, which has been wrong twice in 86 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Lempface
ADVERTISEMENT