ADVERTISEMENT

This Cat Fan is on the Bench For Awhile

ORCAT

All-American
Jan 7, 2003
Lexington, KY
Undergoing total knee replacement tomorrow AM and am starting to get anxious about the procedure (can't help that, family trait regarding hospitals and procedures). Anyone on here have that done and have some positive stories for me? I'll be backsoon as I can checking on the latest regarding Humphries and any other news that happens with UK basketball and football while they have me under. Hope I wake up to some great news. Anyway, one nervous Cat fan wondering how things went for others on this board for such a surgery.

Good luck to you, and anytime you undergo something of that nature its not something to take lightly. My dad had both replaced at one time which was a little much for a 80 year old but that was 10 years ago and he just celebrated his 90th last week and his knees don't bother him bit. Look forward to seeing you back on here in a few days and reporting that you can still dunk the ball!!

Reactions: ORCAT
Undergoing total knee replacement tomorrow AM and am starting to get anxious about the procedure (can't help that, family trait regarding hospitals and procedures). Anyone on here have that done and have some positive stories for me? I'll be backsoon as I can checking on the latest regarding Humphries and any other news that happens with UK basketball and football while they have me under. Hope I wake up to some great news. Anyway, one nervous Cat fan wondering how things went for others on this board for such a surgery.

Prayers for a speedy recovery, Orcat! BTW, I haven't had one but I know a ton of folks who have. The medical technology just keeps getting better and better and everyone I know has been happy they had it done. The most common statement I've heard is: "I wish I had done this sooner."

They botched mine. Had to have my leg amputated 3 days later. Don't let that bother you though. They said that usually only happens on Monday surgeries when everyone is hungover. Good luck.
[laughing]

You'll be in my prayers Orcat!

AlohaCat

I think it's right to be a bit anxious about surgery. There's always risk. I've had 3 over the course of my life. The first when I tore up my left knee horribly in football camp before my senior year in HS. It came completely out of socket. Tore both the ACL and the MCL. Obviously that surgery was warranted. The 2nd was hernia surgery I believe circa 2000. I had a genetic thing where my ab muscles were a bit further apart than normal. It was botched. I had to have a 2nd 4 years later. This time they got it right. Since then I've dislocated both shoulders (mountain biking accidents), and declined surgery both times. It's going to have to be a life threatening thing for me to do it again. The older we get the more risk in anesthesia. If it's impacting your abilities, and causing you a lot of pain I understand though. Good luck with it. Hopefully you've picked a great surgeon!

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. Special thanks to ymmot31 for making me feel so at ease, very reassuring. [cheers]

jrm693, if I come away from this able to dunk the ball I'm buying my doc a dinner at Malone's!!! I'm 5' 7" and never been close to the rim other than when I was on a ladder.

Prayers for you my man, I had a bone allograft on my medial femoral condial (I believe that's what it was called) in February and I am STILL recovering, cannot jog, can't run, sprint, cut, nothing, basically I can just walk, and there is a lot of scar tissue and I'm still lacking 3-4 degrees on my extension. It is a long, long road man, I believe total knee replacement is a fairly shorter recovery time though, hell I saw a guy in his 70s get a knee replacement and was walking within a month. I was non weight bearing for three months!

Undergoing total knee replacement tomorrow AM and am starting to get anxious about the procedure (can't help that, family trait regarding hospitals and procedures). Anyone on here have that done and have some positive stories for me? I'll be backsoon as I can checking on the latest regarding Humphries and any other news that happens with UK basketball and football while they have me under. Hope I wake up to some great news. Anyway, one nervous Cat fan wondering how things went for others on this board for such a surgery.[/QUOTEmy

My wife's cousin had it done,do all the exercises they tell you to do and don't skip on it

You'll be n my prayers Orcat. I don't know anyone who has had a "bad" outcome from the surgery. Just grit your teeth and hit the rehab hard. You'll be fine. God Speed to you.

Can't believe I forgot to mention how important PT is, but I'm sure you already get the point by now haha. It is the most important thing you do once you leave the hospital. Other than the Tylenol the first few days, I was told I could develop a blood clot and have my leg amputated, so ... I took them lol.

Hoping the best for you on your surgery ORCAT. You'll feel like a new man about football time. I've never had it done, but I know several that has and all have been successful. So just hang tough. See Ya.

They botched mine. Had to have my leg amputated 3 days later. Don't let that bother you though. They said that usually only happens on Monday surgeries when everyone is hungover. Good luck.

On the bright side though, a pair of shoes will last you twice as long.
Gods speed in your recovery Orcat.

Off for the hospital in a matter of minutes so what am I doing to prepare for the day and calm my nerves? Checking out the latest on Rafters, of course. Just another example of being crazy Cats fans!!!!!!!!

good luck...Just a little tip;don't forget to put a bright mark on the knee to be done and a "NO" on the other

You'll be fine. My boss had 1 done last year and getting ready for his other 1. He's fine now. I've seen the procedure a few times and I'll spare you that lol. Get well soon. Will be healed just in time to jump up and down for Big Blue Madness

Surgery should be over know and starting on heavy duty rehab.Like I said earlier don't skip on the rehab and you will be fine in a few weeks.

Dang, did not see this in time.

I have an artificial knee on my right leg. I had no problems.

I hope the OrCat posts soon. He should already be in therapy by now.

Dang, did not see this in time.

I have an artificial knee on my right leg. I had no problems.

I hope the OrCat posts soon. He should already be in therapy by now.
OrCat liked my post so that means he is back around, so let me tell you about therapy.

If they tell you to bend your knee 120 degrees, I suggest that you kill yourself and get at least 121 or they will do it for you. That is not a pretty picture.

Keep up posted on your degrees.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I hope things are going well for ORCAT. Like Bert Higginbotha, I had a right knee replacement in 2010. I have had zero problems. And I kept bending my knee more than the therapists asked me to bend it. I felt the keys to my success was to keep "all" swelling out of the knee (I iced it down after every movement for weeks); and doing a bit more than the therapists asked me to do. Good Luck ORCAT!! Go Cats!!

Thanks for all the kind wishes and encouraging words. I had the surgery on Monday and was home Tuesday. I've been with home PT and it's crazy painful. I've always heard the first couple of weeks are horrible so I'm hoping to start seeing some improvement later next week. My doc said I would hate him for two weeks and so far, he's pretty accurate. Have a little swelling right now and the leg isn't very strong so it looks like I'll be missing out on the first football game of the season and will have to shoot for a return against UF. Was hoping to be there for the opening of the new stadium but everyone is telling me to slow down expectations a bit.

Had both mine replaced. The first in 2009 and the second one this past Sept. I went back to work in 9 days, and since we had an off week, I only missed one football game. Just try to put up with the discomfort and take something for pain right before going to bed, and 45 minutes before therapy. I only did home PT the first week, and then drove myself to PT the next. Force yourself to eat, since the pain pills make you lose your appetite, and make sure you take the laxative/stool softener they give you since the pills mess that up, too. In therapy, get on a recumbent cycle. It helps you extend the knee, and will help as much as the strengthening. In another week, you will start to feel better everyday. Good luck, and work at the PT. This is the only opportunity that you get at getting the degrees of bend that you want.

Glad the easy part is over safely. Now, well, maybe you can look at it this way. You and the team are starting training at about the same time. Just follow what the coaches say, grind it out even when you think you can't and you'll end up stronger and ready for opening day.

Thanks for all the kind wishes and encouraging words. I had the surgery on Monday and was home Tuesday. I've been with home PT and it's crazy painful. I've always heard the first couple of weeks are horrible so I'm hoping to start seeing some improvement later next week. My doc said I would hate him for two weeks and so far, he's pretty accurate. Have a little swelling right now and the leg isn't very strong so it looks like I'll be missing out on the first football game of the season and will have to shoot for a return against UF. Was hoping to be there for the opening of the new stadium but everyone is telling me to slow down expectations a bit.

Keep working hard on rehab can't stress how important,first game not out of question just keep ushing you'll make it.

I had one done in 2001 and it's still going. The first 2 weeks are a bitch, not gonna lie; it's very painful. Do ALL of your physical therapy and be SURE to get all the flex back or else you'll be screwed for life, trust me. Good luck fellow Cat fan!!

Good to hear surgery is over and you are home. hang tough

ORCAT don't give up on going to the game. I was driving after 4 weeks; and hitting golf balls at eight weeks. Get well. Go Cats!!

I had my right knee replaced a couple of years ago and the PT was paramount for recovery. Initial pain was a surprise. WOW! It subsided rather quickly and I returned to work (light duty) after about two weeks with crutches, but hardly used them. My repaired leg was longer (straighter) after surgery and today is very stable. Rehab truthfully took about 2 years for adjustment and strengthening. A key for me was going up and down stairs. The ripping scar tissue sounded horrible but felt good afterwards. Keep working and moving . . . climbing them stairs. I busted my knee thirty years ago playing intramural hoops at UK and I can skip for the first time in thirty years. Not that I skip that much but I do enjoy being able too attend ballgames, hiking with grandbabies and when crossing the road (although not sure why) knowing I can jump out from in front of an approaching bus.
chicken-crutches1.jpg

Reactions: UKCatnNC and ORCAT
I had my right knee replaced a couple of years ago and the PT was paramount for recovery. Initial pain was a surprise. WOW! It subsided rather quickly and I returned to work (light duty) after about two weeks with crutches, but hardly used them. My repaired leg was longer (straighter) after surgery and today is very stable. Rehab truthfully took about 2 years for adjustment and strengthening. A key for me was going up and down stairs. The ripping scar tissue sounded horrible but felt good afterwards. Keep working and moving . . . climbing them stairs. I busted my knee thirty years ago playing intramural hoops at UK and I can skip for the first time in thirty years. Not that I skip that much but I do enjoy being able too attend ballgames, hiking with grandbabies and when crossing the road (although not sure why) knowing I can jump out from in front of an approaching bus.
chicken-crutches1.jpg
Love the crutches and road reference, Rooster!!! [roll]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT