ADVERTISEMENT

Think we can get a split against Mizzou/UT?

Again...we didn't lose that game because of defense...

I want to say that we got shut out the entire game...we scored a mop up time TD with 2 minutes to go....that's not on the defense.

2 of 15 on 3rd down
34 to 26 time of possession.

I mean it was 10-0 at half....but yeah...it's the defense's fault lol

No, we didn’t lose the game solely because of the defense. We were pretty bad at everything.

No, we didn’t lose the game solely because of the defense. We were pretty bad at everything.
The defense is the sole reason we've even had a punchers chance the entire season. The only time the defense let us down was when Trask came in and lit them up.

The other games? It's hard to not give up some yardage when you're on the field immediately after your offense can't get past the 50 yard line.

We haven't even given up 30 points in a game yet this year.

The defense is the sole reason we've even had a punchers chance the entire season. The only time the defense let us down was when Trask came in and lit them up.

The other games? It's hard to not give up some yardage when you're on the field immediately after your offense can't get past the 50 yard line.

We haven't even given up 30 points in a game yet this year.

The defense was not good against South Carolina, either. Say what you want about how long they’re on the field because of the bad offense, but USC went right down the field with ease on the very first drive of that game. I felt like USC could have scored more that game had they needed to.

Reactions: UKat1
The defense was not good against South Carolina, either.
17 points through 3 quarters is pretty good in my mind considering we hadn't scored lol 10 points at the half?

But not to your Alabama level shutout standards they should've held them to that day. Oh WAIT! We actually played them similarly. Because you know...pesky number and all!

Alabama allowed them to score 23 points in only 11 possessions...459 total yards.

We gave up 24 points on 11 possessions..387 total yards
We gave up points to them on 4 of 13 possessions. Touchdowns on 2 of 13 possessions.

But again...defense played bad LOL

17 points through 3 quarters is pretty good in my mind considering we hadn't scored lol 10 points at the half?

But not to your Alabama level shutout standards they should've held them to that day. Oh WAIT! We actually played them similarly. Because you know...pesky number and all!

Alabama allowed them to score 23 points in only 11 possessions...459 total yards.

We gave up 24 points on 11 possessions..387 total yards
We gave up points to them on 4 of 13 possessions. Touchdowns on 2 of 13 possessions.

But again...defense played bad LOL

I’ll agree to disagree. I know you’re an apologist on a lot of levels. It’s fine. I think most people would agree the defense was below average in the South Carolina game.

Lack of caring less than half the teams we have played so far, and the play calling, don't see how unless our players, all of them, start caring more than the other team. TN is at least playing hard now, they have enough good players to beat us, they will think they can win it more than our players and they have numerous playmakers. MO's qb alone, imagine that, if most second and 3rd stringers can eat us alive, imagine him.

In short, we lose both unless our mindset as a team changes. Need everyone playing their guts out every play the whole game. Just not enough starters willing to do that.
Expound on that. How did they come back from 13 in the hole and looking like crap against Arkansas? What do you base "not caring" on?

Go back in your ignorance hole.

Hahaha, Ok bud, fine, I'll do that. I hope we win those games, but you can't deny that the vols are getting better each week and Mizzouri is playing with abandon right now. There are times when you have to take off the Blue glasses and see the reality of the situation.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and I'm perfectly willing to own up to my prediction if it happens.

I’ll agree to disagree. I know you’re an apologist on a lot of levels. It’s fine. I think most people would agree the defense was below average in the South Carolina game.

I'm also an apologist for numbers and factual information. And I think most people would agree that forcing a team to punt and/or turn the ball over on 9 of 13 possessions when your offense gets shut out...that's just facts man.

Georgia and Alabama allowed similar numbers to that same team...with more offensive help. We could lose 3 to nothing..."I mean yeah they held them to only 3 points, but it was a very bad game for the defense"

The offense is crap, but not having your 3 top QB's healthy...well sorry no excuses boys! Every team in College football and coach can win with wideouts and backup QB's! Stoops stinks!

Both are possible wins. Win percentage probability against Mizzou is probably 30% and the UT probability is probably 50/50. Will need good QB play, and will need to minimize turnovers and will need to have a good crowd to lift us up both weeks.

I agree. I think we lose to Mizzou and UT is a toss up. I think we beat UT-Martin, Vandy and the Cards. UT`s D looked very good Saturday. I think it will be a toss up.

I'm also an apologist for numbers and factual information. And I think most people would agree that forcing a team to punt and/or turn the ball over on 9 of 13 possessions when your offense gets shut out...that's just facts man.

Georgia and Alabama allowed similar numbers to that same team...with more offensive help. We could lose 3 to nothing..."I mean yeah they held them to only 3 points, but it was a very bad game for the defense"

The offense is crap, but not having your 3 top QB's healthy...well sorry no excuses boys! Every team in College football and coach can win with wideouts and backup QB's! Stoops stinks!

I never said a thing about Stoops

I never said a thing about Stoops
That language of "apologist" just made me assume...

Because there's a section on here that blindly hate Stoops and those of us (99% of the fansbase) that understand he's doing a good job just get labeled sunshine pumpers, etc.

Reactions: rupp876
At the current state of these two teams it does not look promising. Bottom line I would not wager on these games for a UK win. But I pray we will because we need one to get to six. Six is now my goal and yes it is going to be difficult to do. If we could beat both of them that would be icing on our little cake.

Before the season I had both of these as W with Missouri more than UT because of history. UK does not like to beat UT for some strange reason

This .

Expound on that. How did they come back from 13 in the hole and looking like crap against Arkansas? What do you base "not caring" on?
Our talent is better than our record. Knowing how we compare on both sides of the lines, the argument can't be made that our talent is not good enough to play much better than we have. When the other team plays with more intensity and aggression from the get go, no letting up, and we don't match it, then our experience and depth on both lines is overcome by the team with more heart.

Can't put it 100% on the players, after all, they have to play the way they are coached, on their heels and conservative. We was fortunate last year to have two players that played with that edge and heart, in two key positions that helped overcome the playing back on their heels and conservative approach. Choosing to play not to lose instead of playing to win in this game, especially in this conference, that passiveness is going to show up against teams that aren't like that.

We have the talent on the lines and good enough everywhere else to be good but it is part of the coaches job to make sure we are the most intensive and aggressive team on the field every Saturday. If you aren't, you lose. So a combination of coaching and players attitudes. Very odd, with all of our talent, we have 0 players playing with a Josh Allen, Benny Snell, Woodyard, Tamme, Snedeker, Still or Kovach attitude.

Missouri has the best defense in the SEC so far this season. I think both of these games are very hard to predict because we have such a fluid situation with our team right now. I am just hoping for the best.

I rely on the The Power Rank until the S&P+ is released. Right now they have Missouri 6th. Bama, LSU, Auburn Georgia and MSU all higher.

I think both Missouri and Tennessee are getting better. UT made a switch at QB 2 weeks ago and that seems to have given them a boast. Kelly Bryant for Mizzou lost some time but is back in there now. Both teams will be tough but at home we have a great shot.

I rely on the The Power Rank until the S&P+ is released. Right now they have Missouri 6th. Bama, LSU, Auburn Georgia and MSU all higher.

I think both Missouri and Tennessee are getting better. UT made a switch at QB 2 weeks ago and that seems to have given them a boast. Kelly Bryant for Mizzou lost some time but is back in there now. Both teams will be tough but at home we have a great shot.
UT is what it is....

Poor offense and a capable defense...but not super physical. A good home crowd will negate all of their energy.

Mizzou's whole team comes down to Larry Roundtree. He is a MONSTER in the backfield and is what drives that offense.

I think it depends on how we come out f the GA game.
Do we build off of the Arkansas win, do we clean up some stuff, do we gain some confidence back and we need to come out healthy with no more injuries.

That language of "apologist" just made me assume...

Because there's a section on here that blindly hate Stoops and those of us (99% of the fansbase) that understand he's doing a good job just get labeled sunshine pumpers, etc.

Do you have statistical evidence for that 99%?

How is the MSU that UT beat not the same MSU that we played? In what way?

If you don’t think home field is an advantage then I guess you would be right. Miss St at home is a different team than the one that goes on the rd

If you don’t think home field is an advantage then I guess you would be right. Miss St at home is a different team than the one that goes on the rd
....and UT is looking better each week that goes by. They are improving.

Reactions: STL_Cat

Are they? The same Miss St team that lost at home to K-State? Yeah, they’re great at home.

Reactions: UKat1 and jnewc2
Our talent is better than our record. Knowing how we compare on both sides of the lines, the argument can't be made that our talent is not good enough to play much better than we have. When the other team plays with more intensity and aggression from the get go, no letting up, and we don't match it, then our experience and depth on both lines is overcome by the team with more heart.

Can't put it 100% on the players, after all, they have to play the way they are coached, on their heels and conservative. We was fortunate last year to have two players that played with that edge and heart, in two key positions that helped overcome the playing back on their heels and conservative approach. Choosing to play not to lose instead of playing to win in this game, especially in this conference, that passiveness is going to show up against teams that aren't like that.

We have the talent on the lines and good enough everywhere else to be good but it is part of the coaches job to make sure we are the most intensive and aggressive team on the field every Saturday. If you aren't, you lose. So a combination of coaching and players attitudes. Very odd, with all of our talent, we have 0 players playing with a Josh Allen, Benny Snell, Woodyard, Tamme, Snedeker, Still or Kovach attitude.
You realize they recruited and developed Benny and Josh right? Josh came in as a 2* underweight. I recall Mitch Barnhart asking Stoops, "Can he play here?" Please don't not credit Stoops for last season.The stupidest argument I ever hear and makes me want to bang my head on the wall is, , UK only won because they had good players., or Stoops only gets good players because he has good assistants. No shit! That is good coaching, Look at our basketball team, we have had great talent for 10 years but they have been young most of the time so 1 title. We should have a older more experienced team next season and some of you guys will say damn Stoops remembered how to coach again smh

Reactions: BigTyrone
mental mistakes caused us to allow 2 120 yard rushers that game, too

Yeah, those two things are synonymous with not so great teams.
We are improving, I am not sure who to blame that on because after reading this board, the Uk football staff would do well to listen to us...

You realize they recruited and developed Benny and Josh right? Josh came in as a 2* underweight. I recall Mitch Barnhart asking Stoops, "Can he play here?" Please don't not credit Stoops for last season.The stupidest argument I ever hear and makes me want to bang my head on the wall is, , UK only won because they had good players., or Stoops only gets good players because he has good assistants. No shit! That is good coaching, Look at our basketball team, we have had great talent for 10 years but they have been young most of the time so 1 title. We should have a older more experienced team next season and some of you guys will say damn Stoops remembered how to coach again smh
Benny and Josh had that confident and competitive innate psych in the head and heart that separates them from a lot of players that have just as much or more physical ability than them. Something that can't be judged till a coach gets them. Players either have this or don't, no getting it. Either born with it or developed at a young age. Out of all the really good players we have, that are playing, cannot sustain that competitive edge every play the whole game.

Stoops, along with his assistants, has done a good job recruiting. They have done a good job playing not to lose. In other words, haven't given away too many games taking chances. His conservative approach has worked enough to raise the program up to the respect level. Consider him a good but not great coach. Like his work ethic and the way he represents us. Getting his players mentally prepared for every game is obviously a concern. We seem to play a lot of half games.

Of course our players care. It's how much they care compared to their competition. That is easy to see each game and SC and MST was two games that showed this team does not have enough of that mental toughness to be a great team and they have no mentally tough players that are playing like our former great players had. Very good talent, especially on the lines, but missing that mental and heart mentality from a couple of guys that could lead them and make them more like that.

UT would be the most likely one we stand a better shot against, but we all know the HISTORY against the Vawls......

To beat Mizzou, you are going to have to put points on the board...

On the season Mizzou is averaging 38 points a game and even though just 2 conference games played so far, in SEC play they are averaging 36 points a game about right on mark for their season average...

Mizzou plays Vandy this weekend and I'm sure they will have no problems putting points on the board against them....

A friend of mine who was a UT qb told a story about Gene Fulmer. Before they left for Lexington he said boy's this is their home coming, the women will be beautiful, the old grads will be wearing gold watches and there will be tears in their eyes when the band plays My Old Kentucky Home. There will be cheering and an uproar that you've never heard before.

Now be ready because we're going up there an kick there asses like we do every year.

FWIW, current ESPN projections show a 29% win probability against Mizzou and a 62% win probability against the Vols. That is based on current expected spreads and the historical actual game win % of those spreads. Looking at a very probable loss at JawJaw and a likely (???) split with Mizzou and TN the Cats would be 4-5 going into the last 3 games.

FWIW, I am almost always a numbers guy but there has been a lot bad mojo in that TN series.

Peace

Reactions: ukgrad2004
Both are at home. Both will be wins. We almost beat UF at home. Our troubles have been away game. @usc @msu.

This week with UGa needs to be some experimentation. Peters for instance should get some run. Tweak the offense a little we can be ready to win those home games. Honestly everyone should expect those to be wins

Reactions: ukgrad2004
We can beat Missouri if healthy. Like the South Carolina game, they're probably due though. Tennessee has no business playing with us. Not that we are world beaters, they are just bad. Sure they beat Miss State but that MSU team is not who we played.
Maybe that was the MSU team we played and we just aren't that good........maybe, just maybe they and USCe are better than us, sometimes we need to back off the kool aid.

Maybe that was the MSU team we played and we just aren't that good........maybe, just maybe they and USCe are better than us, sometimes we need to back off the kool aid.
We are the only team who got Schrader for a full game. Tommy Stevens is a terrible QB. Moorhead is too loyal to his former player at Penn State. MSU would be much better with The QB we faced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT