ADVERTISEMENT

There's a lot to like about this team

I mean, Tony Delk was a Consensus 1st Team All-American and the SEC Player of the Year. So that's what I'm talking about.
Yea, college player for sure, but since everyone is so enamored with NBA talent, that was my reasoning. Delk had a very short NBA career.

You know Dave in the back of my mind all day when someone asked who will be the guy on this team. Allen keeps popping up. I hope he comes out of the gate and leads this team.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I like this team. Only question mark is who is the star player? Who is the All-American type dude?
2019/20 had leadership by committee (Hagans, IQ & NR) and it seemed to work.

I think it has to come from the guard position first, so it's going to be up to Mintz, Wheeler, Tyty and Grady. I get the impression that Wheeler and Tyty have outspoken personalities, so they might be the ones to take the lead.

If Cal brings on Kofi, things get intetesting, because Kofi and Oscar are both Alpha dogs. I'm not sure how that will work out.

I def understand the lack-of-star issue, because I kinda feel the same.

But I also see so many teams that don't have a star that made a final4 recently... teams from Baylor to Nova to TTU to Loyola... sure, great players. But I think we have the guys who could become just as good, while still not being a lottery pick.

Play making is what I worry about. The team only goes as far as the PG. If TyTy isn't it, we really need Mintz to step up..

2019/20 had leadership by committee (Hagans, IQ & NR) and it seemed to work.

I think it has to come from the guard position first, so it's going to be up to Mintz, Wheeler, Tyty and Grady. I get the impression that Wheeler and Tyty have outspoken personalities, so they might be the ones to take the lead.

If Cal brings on Kofi, things get intetesting, because Kofi and Oscar are both Alpha dogs. I'm not sure how that will work out.
True but also we did kind of have one guy emerge as the star. IQ won SEC Player of the Year, so that’s really the level guy I’m talking about here.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I def understand the lack-of-star issue, because I kinda feel the same.

But I also see so many teams that don't have a star that made a final4 recently... teams from Baylor to Nova to TTU to Loyola... sure, great players. But I think we have the guys who could become just as good, while still not being a lottery pick.

Play making is what I worry about. The team only goes as far as the PG. If TyTy isn't it, we really need Mintz to step up..
Or maybe we could try the guy who lead the SEC in assists last year.

I like this team. Only question mark is who is the star player? Who is the All-American type dude?
For someone likely to be on the team, Kofi Cockburn since he’s already been the All-American type dude.

For people that are here already, Washington is drawing SGA comparisons, SGA was pretty darn good.

For someone likely to be on the team, Kofi Cockburn since he’s already been the All-American type dude.

For people that are here already, Washington is drawing SGA comparisons, SGA was pretty darn good.
That's fair, if we get Cockburn. Changes the question I asked for sure. I'm only asking about guys currently on the roster.

IF Washington is that good, then great. Also answers my question. We don't know that yet, which is why I'm asking. Know what I mean?

I know the game has changed but I am not as concerned about having a star players as I am utilizing the best players and their particular skill sets. The 96 team really had no star player and they did just fine as a total unit.

You are smarter than this...

Yea, college player for sure, but since everyone is so enamored with NBA talent, that was my reasoning. Delk had a very short NBA career.
I can understand what you’re saying from an NBA standpoint. I can also see what you mean about no truly defined star on that 96 team. They were just so balanced and played so many guys in the rotation.

In 96, there were just so many great players across the country. You’re talking AI, Ray Allen, Camby, Duncan, Kittles, Fortson, etc. Then you had freshmen guys like Pierce, Marbury, Carter, Jamison, Billups, etc. Looking at 96 in a vacuum I get what you’re saying.

Man, the talent level back then is incredible compared to today’s game. Guys like Carter, Jamison and Pierce stayed three years. Hell, Duncan stayed four.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
True but also we did kind of have one guy emerge as the star. IQ won SEC Player of the Year, so that’s really the level guy I’m talking about here.
Yeah, but on July 7th of 2019, nobody was thinking IQ was going to do what he did, we though Hagans, Whitney and/or Maxey would be the leaders.

Truth is, the 21/22 team has far more options as far as true leadership goes. Guys that have a lot of experience and are older.

If I had to guess, wheeler, Mintz and Oscar will be the early leaders, but I think Tyty will take a leadership role later in the season, which hopefully doesn’t result in a power struggle.

This is a team unlike any Cal has ever had.

I can understand what you’re saying from an NBA standpoint. I can also see what you mean about no truly defined star on that 96 team. They were just so balanced and played so many guys in the rotation.

In 96, there were just so many great players across the country. You’re talking AI, Ray Allen, Camby, Duncan, Kittles, Fortson, etc. Then you had freshmen guys like Pierce, Marbury, Carter, Jamison, Billups, etc. Looking at 96 in a vacuum I get what you’re saying.

Man, the talent level back then is incredible compared to today’s game. Guys like Carter, Jamison and Pierce stayed three years. Hell, Duncan stayed four.
Yep. But I was expecting way too much from some on this board to understand that.

You put them on the same level as AD, John Wall, Boogie, Booker etc? Limited basketball knowledge you posses, but don’t surprise me considering your checkered past. BTW, Where have you been for over a year? Prison?

You said no star player. You were responding to a post that specifically asked about an all american type guy. Delk was consensus 1st team all american. Take your L bro, you're digging a deeper hole and showing your ass.

Reactions: STL_Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT