Point Guard
Shooting Guard
Inside offensive presence
Shot blocker
No shooters
Terrible zone defenders
Worse man defenders

That said, next season...

We actually have a real live point guard coming. Green can play his natural position...backup point guard.

Can Shai play the 2? Seriously, if we all see the kid isnt a PG and doesnt create for a jumper like a NBA 2G they can as well.

Herro and Baker can shoot.

I have no doubt that Richards, SKJ and Wenyen will improve. Not one will be a great shot blocker or post presence, but they will improve.

We may have a true go to man in Johnson.

Payne has all year to unteach the awfulness that PJ's dad did to him...

Vanderbilt probably wont learn to shoot but maybe Cal will figure out how to play him.

Diallo will get better. Because it is almost unfathomable that he gets worse. And if he doesn't well he doesnt play. Oh he's leaving? To join Briscoe with the Big Baller Brand?

We cannot get any dumber. We cannot get any more timid. We cannot melt any worse than we have this year. Cal cannot do a worse job.

Is this a FF team...? Absolutely not, unless college ball sucks ass again next year... which could happen.

But it will be better than this season.

Last edited:
Not this year of course. Hell what team went far in the post season without a:

Point Guard
Shooting Guard
Shot blocker
No shooters
Terrible man zone defenders
Worse man defenders

We actually have a real live point guard coming. Green can play his natural position...backup point guard.

Can Shai play the 2? Seriously, if we all see the kid isnt a PG and doesnt create for a jumper like a NBA 2G they can as well.

I have no doubt that Richards, SKJ and Wenyen will improve. Not one will be a great shot blocker but they will improve.

Vanderbilt probably wont learn to shoot but maybe Cal will figure out how to play him.

Diallo will get better. Because it is almost unfathomable that he gets worse. And if he doesn't well he doesnt play. Oh he's leaving? To join Briscoe with the Big Baller Brand?

We cannot get any dumber. We cannot get any more timid. We cannot melt any worse than we have this year. Cal cannot do a worse job.

Is this a FF team...? Absolutely not, unless college ball sucks ass again next year... which could happen.

I agree.

Reactions: crpoore

Point Guard
Shooting Guard
Shot blocker
No shooters
Worse man defenders

I have no doubt that Richards, SKJ and Wenyen will improve. Not one will be a great shot blocker but they will improve.

LOL , now THATS a positive post . Kinda like saying, you don't sweat much for a fat guy .

If all of these kids return but Knox, our coaching staff will be put to the test as to how much each kid can improve over the summer and fall.

You add a great shooter like Baker and it could make a HUGE difference in how teams defend us.
You've got to think another year with Coach Payne would have to improve ALL of our Bigs and PJ.

Another year of maturity, strength and ball handling work should make Quade, Shai, Jared and Hami a lot better, Jared may even be able to make a jump shot.

Practicing for an entire year on defense and rebounding would make a world of difference, especially considering they are taking a Summer trip to the Bahamas.

Would LOVE to see this same crew with another year of work.

Last edited:
Reactions: mapcatfan
If less than four leave, we will be a FF team.

The lower four:
Wynyard
Diallo
Jones
(Knox Pro)

Hey if we could just get Montgomery, Leque, and Wiseman.... then we could

PG- Quickley / Shai
SG- Leque / Baker
SF- Johnson / Herro
PF- Montgomery / Vanderbilt
C - Wiseman / SKJ

In other words if we can just make our team 90% new and just keep our hustlers.... next year would look great.

P.S. I'm sorry Wenyen but even though you hustle... there are only so many effing times you can run AWAY from a 3pt shooter before you're a lost cause too.

Play baker, Herro, Quickley, and Johnson and rotate the post. Lots of good donut teams this year who are doing quite well.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Play baker, Herro, Quickley, and Johnson and rotate the post. Lots of good donut teams this year who are doing quite well.

so after watching this team of non elite top 5 freshmen stumble their way through the season you wanna play ANOTHER group of non elite top 5 freshmen mostly with a sophomore that's never played a minute of college basketball?

[eyeroll]

Point Guard
Shooting Guard
Shot blocker
No shooters
Worse man defenders

Completely agree with everything you said (as usual) except that Cal can not do a worse job. Has he been perfect? Absolutely not and there are some things that I would do different, similar to your post earlier today about the team. I think we are pretty close to agreeing on that front. However, we did see Quade running the point down the stretch tonight without much success but I'd like to see more of it.

But back to Cal, I'm beginning to think that this may have been too much of a job for even the best in the business with young talent. We are just too young to be successful. I don't think that it can all be blamed on Cal. Not saying you are but slot of folks on here on throwing the bus at Cal. I mean, his track record is too good for too many years with young teams to make me believe that it's his fault. I doubt he is doing much different than he has in the past but maybe just a bit more coaching. The players must be willing participants in this process and must buy in to the teaching and coaching .I think there are a few players that haven't bought in and are simply here for themselves. They don't understand that everyone eats if they just buy into the process and buy into the team. Diallo is the obvious choice here as I just don't see any teamwork or unselfish decisions from him .He's not the only one but he's definitely the glaring problem at the moment. If the players don't buy into the process, the team doesn't succeed and I think that's what we are seeing this year. I'm not saying Cal is innocent but I think it's alot more on the players than it is on Cal. He's just been through this too many times and been successful too many times for me to think it's on him .I believe it's just too tall of a task for any coach to have this young of a team and expect excellence. He just bit off more than he could chew this year. The good thing is, I think it will benefit us next year because it's looking like we will only lose Knox, Hami, and possibly SGA. That sets us up well with the incoming guys we have coming and I think they'll be at least 1 more added. I don't think Cal will take any chances on being anything but awesome next year and he goes out and gets a really good transfer to solidify the roster next year .Just my 2 cents anyway.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
so after watching this team of non elite top 5 freshmen stumble their way through the season you wanna play ANOTHER group of non elite top 5 freshmen mostly with a sophomore that's never played a minute of college basketball?

[eyeroll]

Well they can shoot better blind folded than our team now......... and you know there is about 400% better odds of them having pride and effort in their play than our guys this year somehow miraculously developing it over the summer

Reactions: brianpoe
Completely agree with everything you said (as usual) except that Cal can not do a worse job. Has he been perfect? Absolutely not and there are some things that I would do different, similar to your post earlier today about the team. I think we are pretty close to agreeing on that front. However, we did see Quade running the point down the stretch tonight without much success but I'd like to see more of it.

But back to Cal, I'm beginning to think that this may have been too much of a job for even the best in the business with young talent. We are just too young to be successful. I don't think that it can all be blamed on Cal. Not saying you are but slot of folks on here on throwing the bus at Cal. I mean, his track record is too good for too many years with young teams to make me believe that it's his fault. I doubt he is doing much different than he has in the past but maybe just a bit more coaching. The players must be willing participants in this process and must buy in to the teaching and coaching .I think there are a few players that haven't bought in and are simply here for themselves. They don't understand that everyone eats if they just buy into the process and buy into the team. Diallo is the obvious choice here as I just don't see any teamwork or unselfish decisions from him .He's not the only one but he's definitely the glaring problem at the moment. If the players don't buy into the process, the team doesn't succeed and I think that's what we are seeing this year. I'm not saying Cal is innocent but I think it's alot more on the players than it is on Cal. He's just been through this too many times and been successful too many times for me to think it's on him .I believe it's just too tall of a task for any coach to have this young of a team and expect excellence. He just bit off more than he could chew this year. The good thing is, I think it will benefit us next year because it's looking like we will only lose Knox, Hami, and possibly SGA. That sets us up well with the incoming guys we have coming and I think they'll be at least 1 more added. I don't think Cal will take any chances on not being anything but awesome next year and he goes out and gets a really good transfer to solidify the roster next year .Just my 2 cents anyway.

Look at this way.

It's not all on Cal, I mean he has crap to work with, but still he hasnt done a great job.

No way he doesnt do a much better job next season, was more my point.

Point Guard
Shooting Guard
Shot blocker
No shooters
Terrible zone defenders
Worse man defenders

This deserves 90,000 likes. I would be 100% in agreement with you but I just don’t think everyone will be back. Some will quit and transfer. Some may try to get drafted. Some may get the boot. If that happens yeah we will be okay.

[eyeroll]

I get that. I get most of your points too but I think I’m on the Cal train and your not. We have to be better than this. If not then there’s no way we sustain OAD and it has to blow up.

Reactions: jace2012
I get that. I get most of your points too but I think I’m on the Cal train and your not. We have to be better than this. If not then there’s no way we sustain OAD and it has to blow up.

I'm firmly on the Cal train when he's bringing back upper classmen and/or mixed with top 5 recruits.

If not, not really. History has shown it doesn't work well.

This deserves 90,000 likes. I would be 100% in agreement with you but I just don’t think everyone will be back. Some will quit and transfer. Some may try to get drafted. Some may get the boot. If that happens yeah we will be okay.

I dont see the transfer....

Who thinks they are better than the playing time they are getting (Matthews) or not a fit for UK (Wiltjer)?

Shai may try to go pro....

Who quits? I guess if Hami leaves he has quit.... the NBA is not an option.

Last edited:
How could you not be optimistic?

It's mid-February. Season is almost over!!

I'm generally a positive poster, but this has been a tough year. I knew this was gonna be a down-ish year, but it's gone further south than I thought. I hoped we were turning a corner after kicking the shit out of UL, but we've looked liked complete ass the entire conference schedule. We've played really well in all of zero league games. I don't know if it's youth, coaching, something internal, bad luck with injuries/illness, etc. But, this group hasn't gelled and time's about up.

Who thinks they are better than the playing time they are getting (Matthews) or not a fit for UK (Wiltjer)?

I do wonder if Vanderbilt might enter the draft just because of his injury history. And it wouldn't surprise me if Hami left just because, like Briscoe. I agree neither should go and neither would go in the first round but it wouldn't surprise me .

Reactions: Fox2monk
I do wonder if Vanderbilt might enter the draft just because of his injury history. And it wouldn't surprise me if Hami left just because, like Briscoe. I agree neither should go and neither would go in the first round but it wouldn't surprise me .

Here is my thought process on Jared.

If he is so scared about getting hurt, the NBA is well aware. Plus he cant shoot. No way he's a first. A second? Cant shoot, back-to-back injuries, played less than half a season, not good on switch defense....

You cannot discount the bad advice he has been given thus far...

Point Guard
Shooting Guard
Shot blocker
No shooters
Terrible zone defenders
Worse man defenders

I have no doubt that Richards, SKJ and Wenyen will improve. Not one will be a great shot blocker or post presence, but they will improve.

I like it Brian...but as I've said in other threads...I'll wait and see. Hopefully you're right though!!!!!

Reactions: brianpoe
As long as you can see it, you're good [laughing]
tenor.gif

[laughing]

Here is my thought process on Jared.

If he is so scared about getting hurt, the NBA is well aware. Plus he cant shoot. No way he's a first. A second? Cant shoot, back-to-back injuries, played less than half a season, not good on switch defense....

You cannot discount the bad advice he has been given thus far...
Yep . And what are you doing up so late ? Don't you have a job?

Reactions: awf and brianpoe

I wonder who evaluates players. Did they not see these guys could not shoot? It looks to me like Cal recruits the highest 5 stars he can get, regardless of position or skills and is arrogant enough to think he can coach them up. This team has proven him wrong. Now will he recycle himself enough to start recruiting by need and skill set or keep doing this over and over?

Watch what i am saying to you, Duke will have the same problem next year. Yes, K has the top 3 players coming in, BUT, they all play the same position. It won't work.

Me personally..I cant wait till the draft so all us UK fans can celebrate great days again.
Yes we still have the greatest moment in Kentucky basketball to look forward to. The NBA draft. When our players get $$$$$$$$$$ to buy mama a new house in the burbs. Who needs banners when you have this to look forward to.

The kids we have on the team seem like good kids, won't embarrass the program, go to class - all the things you want from a player off the court.

However Cal is the one who recruited these kids and if we are to believe how it played out passed on Trae Young.

Cal made the conscious decision to recruit in such a way that we don't have a junior or senior contributing in the rotation

Cal made the decision to not use all the scholarships trying to find a JUCO or bridge player to help an obviously undermanned and inexperienced team this year.

And now Cal is the one sticking with Diallo and saying he doesn't care about the team record.

so I just can't share the viewpoint of anyone who is saying Cal can't make 3 point shots or not commit turnovers, and I don't understand those who say he is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

This comes with the territory of coaching UK. If you want to talk about the kids out there making the same mistakes, we have to talk about a coach who is stubbornly maintaining - from outward appearances - the same approach to basketball that got us in this mess.

Look, I want Cal to be our coach for a very long time, but we're not on a path to being in the hunt for a national championship. Forget this year, I'm talking next year. And this morning I read quotes from him about sticking with Diallo, feeling sorry for Diallo because he missed a 3 point shot. That's his right as the coach but there is a serious disconnect between what he is seeing in this team and what the fans are seeing.

If this is part of a process or the whole "wait until March" and then our kids will get serious about playing, it sucks and its got to change.

Last edited:

Shai's definitely going to go pro.

joined December of 2008 and your first post. Wow..Long time listener, first time caller

I wonder who was the last PG drafted in the first round that averaged 12 ppg with an assist ratio of 1:1.5?

That wasn't even medium NBA athletic nor could create their own shot with a jumper...?

ADVERTISEMENT