ADVERTISEMENT

THe worst Cal Quote...it's not the Sharpe one IMO

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
“I’m worried about Sahvir. I told him in the last four minutes, ‘Why don’t you just come out?’ He said, ‘No, I’m going to finish.’ Look, at the end of the day, I’m coaching someone’s child and if he can’t play this week and TyTy can’t play this week, they’re hurt. They can’t play. Now other guys have a chance to step up and show what they are or what they’re not.”

WTH is up with this guy. You try to talk a kid that was able to come to just not try? I swear people that try to argue he gives two shits about winning for this program are in twilight zone. YOu can bet we won't get a legit TyTY or Wheeler injury report for weeks in TyTy's case.

Cal acts like we're asking them to go on a police beat to risk their life or something. If Wheeler was able to come back from his first screen...the 2nd was not that bad. Try to win teh game

“I’m worried about Sahvir. I told him in the last four minutes, ‘Why don’t you just come out?’ He said, ‘No, I’m going to finish.’ Look, at the end of the day, I’m coaching someone’s child and if he can’t play this week and TyTy can’t play this week, they’re hurt. They can’t play. Now other guys have a chance to step up and show what they are or what they’re not.”

WTH is up with this guy. You try to talk a kid that was able to come to just not try? I swear people that try to argue he gives two shits about winning for this program are in twilight zone. YOu can bet we won't get a legit TyTY or Wheeler injury report for weeks in TyTy's case.

Cal acts like we're asking them to go on a police beat to risk their life or something. If Wheeler was able to come back from his first screen...the 2nd was not that bad. Try to win teh game
You don't have a clue. Cal was right by his judgement calls.

Why did Cal even put Wheeler back in the game if he was still injured? Did Cal not ask Wheeler if he was OK BEFORE he put him back in the game?

Cal WANTS to use Injuries as an EXCUSE after this game, which is totally fine, but don't try to INFER that our situation was WORSE than it was to give you a PASS for LOSING to Pearl AGAIN.

Cal KNOWS he's UNTOUCHABLE with a LIFETIME contract, but his ENORMOUS EGO is taking a hit because he can't win big games anymore. SAD for ALL of BBN.

Cal shouldn’t be asking a kid , who appears to be suffering from post concussion syndrome IMO, if he can go back in. He should be asking the team doctor, who should be examining the kid and putting him through a concussion protocol. People that don’t understand what can happen to the human brain when concussed in contact sports have no idea how long the effects of such a injury can linger.i have seen it end an entire season twice on a football field. Sometimes it takes 8- 10 weeks to fully recover. The kid looks fine but it has a cumulative effect, as it progresses it takes less and less contact to cause another one.

Cals problem isn’t he thought wheeler was too injured to play his problem is he played him anyway! He knew wheeler wasn’t right im sure it’s concussion and cal put him back in. What is it cal you the coach or the kids the coach? Man if I had an injured player he sits. I don’t say “why don’t you come out”. Either cal is the alpha or he isn’t and that’s the problem. These kids individually run the stinkin program. It’s a total permissive environment for some and authoritative for others.

something else the comments of “someone’s child”. What BS. when any of our lottery picks went at 18 you think any nba coach worries it’s “someone’s child”. Also wheeler? He’s like 21. Cal should be coaching high school to have so much concern for men he’s calls children. He calls them children and let’s them make the decisions??? You can’t make this stuff up man!!!

if tyty and wheeler miss multiple games hell if they don’t I’m putting cal on penny watch after one of these games. Hes swimming close to Bcg “that’s a bad question territory”. Honestly he’s probably already been there.

Btw the definition of child. Cmon cal.

child
/CHīld/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Why did Cal even put Wheeler back in the game if he was still injured? Did Cal not ask Wheeler if he was OK BEFORE he put him back in the game?

Cal WANTS to use Injuries as an EXCUSE after this game, which is totally fine, but don't try to INFER that our situation was WORSE than it was to give you a PASS for LOSING to Pearl AGAIN.

Cal KNOWS he's UNTOUCHABLE with a LIFETIME contract, but his ENORMOUS EGO is taking a hit because he can't win big games anymore. SAD for ALL of BBN.
Why are you screaming random words? Haha

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Am I actually reading that someone is pissed at Cal for recommending to a player that he should sit out rather than play hurt? Really?

I'd long suspected it, but its clear many of the haters have lost all perspective. This is complete tripe and borderline barbaric. Cal was 100% in the right here. If he made an error was not just pulling Wheeler till he could get medical advice.

If someone treated your children like some are proposing Cal treat these players, you'd have them locked up and file charges. This is disgraceful.

You don't have a clue. Cal was right by his judgement calls.
What was he right by?

1. If Wheeler was concussed...he allowed him back in.
2. Wheeler got the big screen was at the 12 minute mark...and he re-entered the game after a few minutes. The last hard foul with Kessler was at the 4 minute mark and not a whiplash like the screen at 12 minute mark.
3. Again, if Wheeler got a hard foul....sure its contact but not a concussion scenario....so if the kid was fine to play...why are we trying to talk him out of playing?

What exactly did Cal do right?

What was he right by?

2. Wheeler got the big screen was at the 12 minute mark...and he re-entered the game after a few minutes. The last hard foul with Kessler was at the 4 minute mark and not a whiplash like the screen at 12 minute mark.
3. Again, if Wheeler got a hard foul....sure its contact but not a concussion scenario....so if the kid was fine to play...why are we trying to talk him out of playing?

I r got mixed emotions on this one. All your points are logical and reasonable. I’m going to give Cal the benefit of the doubt on this one though and say it was more of a, don’t feel like you have to go back in, situation. In other words he probably didn’t want the kid to feel like he had to go back in due to pressure.

So nobody thinks that the training staff/team doctor checked him out for a concussion when he was in the locker room or out for 10 mins of game time? Of course they did.

I have no issue with what Cal said, if the kid was hurt, even tho the doc/trainers cleared him to go back in, then it’s a good head coach who cares about his kids who asks to make sure they do want/are ok to return before he puts them back in.

Sounds to me like typical Cal salesmanship tho emphasizing Wheeler’s toughness. Which I don’t mind either.

What was he right by?

Well, he let Wheeler make the ultimate call didn't he? Do you think that was wrong?

Just because he didn't have a concussion or visible injury doesn't mean he was good to play necessarily. You're making a lot of illogical assumptions. There a pretty strong possibility he was pretty jarred from that screen and didn't really need to be on the court in Cal's opinion. It could just lead to further issues and hinder the team. Ultimately he left it up to Wheeler.

It is basic that Wheeler went through concussion screening before he went back in. If he went back in the game without it that would be a bigger and dumber scandal than anything Pitino was accused of. It didn't happen.

Reactions: clifm
I don’t know what type of screening he went through in the locker room, but I would bet you money if he went through the same screening procedures they do in the NFL he would have been done for the night.

Coach talk. Try to think

It’s a game.
They’re children.
Why risk injury of any sort while playing a game that’s not commensurate with their compensation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT