ADVERTISEMENT

The way things are going Diallo looks to be a must have recruit

Jan 15, 2003
Just feel this way. None of us have a clue who else is coming. Mulder probably. Sign Diallo and we will all feel SO much better!

Originally posted by MrHotDice:
Their is no such thing as a must have recruit if you are a good coach.
Is there such a thing if you want to compete for a national title?

Let's ask Anthony Davis.

I don't feel that way. Would love to have him though.

I think people on this board are vastly under-rating the roster and players we currently have in place. We will be very good as it is. We should be top-10 all season and compete for a title. There is not another roster out there that is currently better than what we have coming in and coming back.

With all that said, I completely disagree that any player is a "must get." Clearly we would be even better with more top level players. But we will still be a top-10 team if we closed our recruiting and just went with who we have already in place.

Nah. Some of you guys have a rigid formula in your head about post-season success, like "if the team has this particular talent level, then it's a sweet 16 team, and if it has this talent level, it's a final four team." How many times have we learned the draw is everything? Did UofL look like an elite 8 team this year, especially when Jones was kicked?

There are no guarantees. There is nothing that guarantees UK, as currently constituted, can't make a final four (and if you're good enough to get that far, you can win it). With the right draw, they have the talent to make a run. There are no guarantees that even if we get Diallo and Newman and whomever else, that we're a final four team. Doesn't work that way. There aren't even any guarantees that if we get Diallo and Newman we will necessarily go further than if we don't - see UK '14 vs UK '15, for an example.

I'm not talking about loose concepts like "well, there's a chance...." It's the nature of the NCAA. Provided you have a sufficient talent to be the in the conversation, and we do already - then it's all about chemistry, peaking at the right time, and the draw....

I agree about Diallo, and wow, the new board finally got up and running. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Agree completely Mojo. Have to be honest, I won't be confident if we don't get any of the big names left, but it annoys me how people act like they know for sure how next season will play out. I had zero doubt we would win it this time last year. Zero.

Nah. Some of you guys have a rigid formula in your head about post-season success, like "if the team has this particular talent level, then it's a sweet 16 team, and if it has this talent level, it's a final four team."

Couldn't agree more. Always amazed at the simplistic equations fans work out for themselves based on players they've mostly seen on YouTube.

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden
Will Alex and Marcus being here affect his decision? Diallo is definitely a 4, so I hope he knows that there will be time for him here. That's my main concern with getting him.

Is there such a thing if you want to compete for a national title?

Let's ask Anthony Davis.

True to a point. But there's not a player in this class that would impact the team as much as Davis. Diallo would be a nice pick-up but he's not Anthony Davis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT