ADVERTISEMENT

The Staircase (Netflix series): The Michael Peterson trial

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
Last edited:
I think there may be a thread on this already.

I’m not convinced he didn’t do it. But I don’t see how the jury convicted him. I never want to get in trouble in Durham. Between this case and the duke lacrosse case they are a corrupt bunch.

Peterson is not a likable man, at all, IMO.

The judge was horrible. Let in way too much crap that was clearly not relevant nor admissible. The German death was incredibly prejudicial to Peterson.

Can you imagine the uproar today if they used he bisexuality as a means to convince the jury he was guilty caused he liked men. Amazing how much public opinion changed in so short a time.

I thought all through as watching that this poor guy is getting railroaded.
Then at the very end of the last episode it abruptly changes to that MFing SOB did it.
As an aside her sister appears to be certifiable bat-shit crazy.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
Innocent - I never heard a gd motive, and there was absolutely no proof of a beating of any kind. Just makes you pray to god nothing crazy ever happens to you and you get in the crosshairs of a government wanting to convict you, they’ll do anything to lock you up.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
Innocent - I never heard a gd motive, and there was absolutely no proof of a beating of any kind. Just makes you pray to god nothing crazy ever happens to you and you get in the crosshairs of a government wanting to convict you, they’ll do anything to lock you up.

Even without being sure of his innocence I can’t believe he beat her the way they said. Didn’t add up.

And the SBI agent Deaver needs locked up and taken advantage of by inmates.

I laughed at the owl theory but I swear it makes more sense than what the prosecution presented.

I lean more toward him doing it but no way would I convict him because there wasn’t the evidence to vote “guilty.” The only motive I could come up with is her snapping cause of finding out he was having a gay affair but there’s no evidence he beat her and the whole time I struggled with the amount of blood there was from simply “falling down the stairs.”

I would’ve hated to be on the jury and I was shocked they convicted him because the evidence was simply not there.

I don’t think that it’s one of the better documentaries. Also heard that the producers leaned heavily on the innocent side, so the documentary reflects that a little.

As far as the case goes, I don’t think there was enough to convict him. I do find it hard to believe that there was so much blood and they think she only fell from the first couple steps. I will also say that his 911 call seemed very genuine. But who knows, definitely a strange case.

Seems like he had ruffled some feathers with the city prior to the alleged murder and that’s worth noting. I’m sure they didn’t lose any sleep when convicting him.

I watched it. He's definitely a weird guy. Not convinced he did it. He's got some serious issues.
His deceased wife's sister is a complete nut job. Lots of tarnished evidence imo.
Makes you wonder how many folks have been railroaded in Durham.

I think he was guilty as heck . No way you multiple lacerations like that from falling down the stairs . It is impossible .

I think he was guilty as heck . No way you multiple lacerations like that from falling down the stairs . It is impossible .

Well it is possible. He may be guilty as sin but the theory she fell and hit her head several times, then tried to get up and fell and hit her head again is plausible if far fetched.

I started watching Evil Geniuses after this and that's one of the most bizarre stories I've ever heard.

As for the Peterson case, I struggled trying to understand this

What caused that many lacerations and if it was a blunt force object then why wasn't her skull broken?
It wasn't the blow poke so what did he use? They never found anything.
He obviously didn't use his hands because there were no cuts or damage to his hands.
That's a lot of blood simply falling down the stairs.
Is it possible that if she did fall down the stairs that Michael pushed her?
If the owl attack occurred then why was the blood mostly confined to the staircase?
If it wasn't an owl attack, how do you explain the owl feathers and why she had clumps of her own hair in her hand?

owl1-12200098061.jpg

autopsy_diagram-400x300.jpg

It seriously may be that she was attacked by an owl and then fell down the stairs.

As crazy as it sounds, the owl theory is somewhat plausible.

Either way, I don't see how you can convict without a murder weapon and unproven theories.

Prlly an owl committing a B&E and then was caught by the wife. Then proceeded to attack her head. That is the only logical scenario.

Prlly an owl committing a B&E and then was caught by the wife. Then proceeded to attack her head. That is the only logical scenario.

[laughing]

He had a tough upbringing and was homeless. He was also headed to college.

I think there may be a thread on this already.

I’m not convinced he didn’t do it. But I don’t see how the jury convicted him. I never want to get in trouble in Durham. Between this case and the duke lacrosse case they are a corrupt bunch.

Peterson is not a likable man, at all, IMO.

The judge was horrible. Let in way too much crap that was clearly not relevant nor admissible. The German death was incredibly prejudicial to Peterson.

Can you imagine the uproar today if they used he bisexuality as a means to convince the jury he was guilty caused he liked men. Amazing how much public opinion changed in so short a time.

I agree on all accounts. He very well may have been guilty but the defense did enough to bring some reasonable doubt not to mention the other stuff that was admitted that shouldn't have been. I guess after getting messed over once he decided to his plea than go through trial again or maybe he thought he would get convicted again.

I agree on all accounts. He very well may have been guilty but the defense did enough to bring some reasonable doubt not to mention the other stuff that was admitted that shouldn't have been. I guess after getting messed over once he decided to his plea than go through trial again or maybe he thought he would get convicted again.

I would've taken the plea as well if I was in my 70s. You have maybe 10 years left. Maybe. Why waste it with this crap? Not like you're going for some job after this where you need to not have a felony on your record.

Like you said, he may be guilty but the prosecution certainly didn't present a case that should have resulted in a guilty verdict.

The whole way through I felt he was not guilty. Not enough spatter.

But in the last episode I believe her sis mentions a broken hyoid bone or thyroid cartilage. That is almost always from a strangulation. So I would want to hear all of the evidence and not just what the doc maker wanted us to hear.

The whole way through I felt he was not guilty. Not enough spatter.

But in the last episode I believe her sis mentions a broken hyoid bone or thyroid cartilage. That is almost always from a strangulation. So I would want to hear all of the evidence and not just what the doc maker wanted us to hear.

Yeah. That was a game changer. But without hearing the evidence of it. It could have occurred in the fall but you’re right, normally it’s a result of strangulation.

The guy has a past of this same shit. Lightening doesn't strike twice. He did it.

You can make a stupid documentary look however you want it to.

The guy has a past of this same shit. Lightening doesn't strike twice. He did it.

You can make a stupid documentary look however you want it to.

Two women he is close to "accidentally" fall down stairs and cause fatal injuries?? Really? Either he is A) guilty; or B) the unluckiest man in the world.

I choose A

Reactions: morgousky
Did you watch the series?

No but wife did and was transfixed, and talked non stop about it, she thought he was probably guilty but the Judge allowed way too much extra crap into the trial, thought she would have voted not guilty if she had been on the jury.

No but wife did and was transfixed, and talked non stop about it, she thought he was probably guilty but the Judge allowed way too much extra crap into the trial, thought she would have voted not guilty if she had been on the jury.

Couple things then; there was really zero evidence that the German fall was anything but an accident. Judge was horrible in making decisions on evidence. German fall was so prejudicial to be laughable as well as no relevance. Typical judge, let prosecution put almost anything in evidence.

I think he probably killed his wife but could have never voted to convict based on what was shown.

Reactions: Tskware
I felt bad for Peterson watching him deteriorate in jail. And it also makes me mad as hell watching the videos of the Deaver guy banging a sponge with red ink trying to recreate the blood splatter anyway possible. Thats not how justice system should work, the prosecution team shouldn't be trying to create evidence just to convict someone to get the "win".

Finding that blow poke a month later was shady as hell tho

Perfect example of over zealous law enforcement. Police and prosecutors are supposed to follow the facts. Not set out with intent to get a conviction.

I don't know what happened. Neither does anyone with the state. Case should've never been brought let alone convicted.

Other thoughts:

The assistant da was an embarrassment. None of that would fly in a real court.

The judge was a moron.

The defense attorney was generally really good but essentially malpracticed in his opening. By claiming they had a perfect marriage (not just a good marriage) he opened the door for all the homosexual stuff to come in. The defense KNEW the da was trying to get that in. The only way was opening the door, which he did through hyperbole and overconfidence.

I felt bad for Peterson watching him deteriorate in jail. And it also makes me mad as hell watching the videos of the Deaver guy banging a sponge with red ink trying to recreate the blood splatter anyway possible. Thats not how justice system should work, the prosecution team shouldn't be trying to create evidence just to convict someone to get the "win".

Finding that blow poke a month later was shady as hell tho

Remember at the end of the series, it comes to the attention of the defense attorney that th cops found that blowpoke before the trial even started and took photos with it and then didn’t put it back where it originally was.

I never saw proof of that but he said it on the documentary. If that is true, that means the prosecution presented that case with the hypothesis that it was the blowpoke when they knew it wasn’t the blowpoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Showed me once again you never want to be before a jury. FBI proved crooked. They never proved a motive yet he was convicted. The amount of blood still haunts me. Lots of reasonable doubt in my mind!!

It all comes down to the bleeding, if she didn’t bleed like a stuffed pig then there wouldn’t have been a trial, no suspicion, nothing, it was all about the blood. There was absolutely nothing else whatsoever that showed any reasonable crime other than the blood.

And with all that blood you'd have expected much more spatter with all the bludgeoning the DA said occured.

Remember she had been drinking which thins the blood, she had Xanax or similar drug in her system causing coordination to be hindered, she was in flops, that stairwell turned at a strange angle that a drunken, medicated, flip flop clad woman easily could have caught an edge and fallen. There's your reasonable doubt.

The only motive that could be promoted was, she may have found out about his gay affairs and he snapped. No financial motive, no promise to go to another lover, etc.

Problem with the “he beat her to death” theory is there was no cast off. She had no defensive wounds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT