ADVERTISEMENT

The ship will right

Boston's shot is broken at the moment it will return. Saar is key to keep on the floor. Mintz needs to run the show and give Askew two time.. yes I'm discouraged but I have faith.
Yeah I some what agree with you. By March this will be a far better team than now. BUT, we're going to have so many early season losses that it's going to destroy our seed come tournament time. A few more December losses & we're looking at a 5 seed instead of a 2 seed.

Yeah I some what agree with you. By March this will be a far better team than now. BUT, we're going to have so many early season losses that it's going to destroy our seed come tournament time. A few more December losses & we're looking at a 5 seed instead of a 2 seed.

If we have a few more December losses, that will put us at 2-5 with only 3 potential quality wins left on the schedule.

That will put us in danger of even making the tournament at all.

Bright side l, if we are a 7 or 8....you find out real quick if you’re legit. Win your sweet 16 game and now you’ve stolen the 1 or 2s path. 😂

Clarke should be the one running the show. He has handles and a good passing ability.
Move Mintz to the 2 where he will thrive. Park Askew on the lane and left him se how this has to go. He's a 3 year guy, hopefully he stays, we need some veterans.

Yeah, eventually Cal we'll right the ship, we get that, but it's always a struggle and a fight to get there and the losses to our rivals and mid major programs in Rupp are piling up. Even the pumpers in this board have to see that.

Also, keep in mind, this is a shortened season, 10 losses might mean you’re out of the tournament. We already have 2 losses after 3 games. It's not a good position to be in, because this team is really behind, especially knowing the fact they have been practicing for 5 months.

The thing I really liked about mintz at the point is he was hauling ass up and down the court. He plays hard as hell and was pushing the ball up full speed.
He plays like a veteran and doesn’t have to be yelled at to play hard.
I actually love this team. They have a ways to go but the ceiling is very high.
Will enjoy watching them grow.

Clarke should be the one running the show. He has handles and a good passing ability.
Move Mintz to the 2 where he will thrive. Park Askew on the lane and left him se how this has to go. He's a 3 year guy, hopefully he stays, we need some veterans.

Yeah, eventually Cal we'll right the ship, we get that, but it's always a struggle and a fight to get there and the losses to our rivals and mid major programs in Rupp are piling up. Even the pumpers in this board have to see that.

Also, keep in mind, this is a shortened season, 10 losses might mean you’re out of the tournament. We already have 2 losses after 3 games. It's not a good position to be in, because this team is really behind, especially knowing the fact they have been practicing for 5 months.
Clarke will take over at point, that will be the tweak, Mintz is def better at SG as well. Boston has got to start making some threes though! Brooks will def make the team better as well.

Yes I totally agree this is what I’ve been saying. This is the problem. By the time we are able to compete our record will be so bad we will be seeded very low.

Boston's shot is broken at the moment it will return. Saar is key to keep on the floor. Mintz needs to run the show and give Askew two time.. yes I'm discouraged but I have faith.
You're only looking at it in the short term. People who are frustrated are looking at the bigger picture.

Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
Yes I totally agree this is what I’ve been saying. This is the problem. By the time we are able to compete our record will be so bad we will be seeded very low.
It is what it is. 2014 racked up a horrible record, got a bad seed but still would have won it all if WCS didn't get injured.
We still don't know what kind of record this team will have anyway. The 2017 team with Monk and Fox lost at home to UCLA, lost to Louisville, LOST 3 of 4 games in late January/early February, when most would think a team would be solidifying, but went on, grew and by the time we were robbed in the regional final by the roofaree, may have been the best team in the country.

Last edited:
Clarke will take over at point, that will be the tweak, Mintz is def better at SG as well. Boston has got to start making some threes though! Brooks will def make the team better as well.

askew at point isn’t working at all. Will cal make the switch in time or stick with askew until later in the season. History tells us cal is likely to stick with askew and try and persevere through the growing pains.

Um, we are currently 1-2 with 4 games remaining in December.

“A few more losses” would put us at 2-5.

From there, we have UTx2 as potential quality wins. And also Texas.

Other than those, there are no guarantees of any other game on the schedule being a quality victory, although we all know even the worst teams will play the game of their lives against us and potentially deal out some bad losses.

Add in covid and game cancellations that are coming, and I could EASILY see us with a record like 15-8 or so going into the SEC, but with 0 quality wins. Which would put us squarely on the bubble.

Um, we are currently 1-2 with 4 games remaining in December.

“A few more losses” would put us at 2-5.

From there, we have UTx2 as potential quality wins. And also Texas.

Other than those, there are no guarantees of any other game on the schedule being a quality victory, although we all know even the worst teams will play the game of their lives against us and potentially deal out some bad losses.

Add in covid and game cancellations that are coming, and I could EASILY see us with a record like 15-8 or so going into the SEC, but with 0 quality wins. Which would put us squarely on the bubble.
Lol, TX and TN are ranked. UF, UL, Bama, Arkansas and LSU all are listed as also receiving votes, thus putting them just outside the top 25. We have several quality games left. We also have no bad losses at this point. KU is #7 and we went to the buzzer. Richmond is #19. Step back off the ledge and come back to reality for a bit.

I for one agree with the OP.
Limited pick up games, no real exhibition games played and the 1st 3 games 2 of those teams we lost to are solid NCAA tournament teams with experience.
I think our team takes some hits on the L side but they will be ready come tournament once they accept their rolls, learn each others game, play to their strengths and someone steps up as a leader.
Our D looks to be good so its just a matter of time before the game starts to slow down for these young guys and the O will start to come to them.

Most are calling for Mintz to lead the team but I think the coaching staff see's Askew with the higher ceiling.

I would like to see more plays ran to get Allen open for him to take more and better open 3's.
I am pulling for Allen MORE than any other player on this team. He is a home grown talent that I would love to see be a star here one day and make it to the NBA. That would be great for our young in state kids to look up to.

Clarke may be the best option at point in the half court. He can penetrate and possibly create some open looks for Allen and others. I'd also like to see more pick and rolls trying to create for Sarr. He's perhaps the best outside shooter at this point.

I have a serious question. How can a kids shot get broken in just a matter of months when he has been shooting the same way for years ?

Increased weight training, maladjustment to increased speed of the game, and heightened anxiety level can all have an influence. Until all these factors are accommodated by the player mechanics can be off.

Nov to Jan- Terrible basketball. 3 to 5 good minutes per game

Jan to feb- Sparks start to show. 10 to 15 good minutes per game

Feb to- good basketball.

Mar to Apr- hit tournament with a good chance to go far

same story every year when you have 100% turnover.

we will be fine, but a lot of hard to watch basketball for awhile.

Feb to- good basketball.

Issue is that Nov-Jan can kill your seeding making it much harder to win in March. Let’s face it, it takes luck and skill to win the tournament. Dropping seed lines makes your road that much tougher.

I'm not sure Cal will make that move, that means he'll need to Tell Askew he's going to sit and Askew is in Cal's little circle of honor that he has for every team.

Feb to- good basketball.

Agreed and pretty much what we see every year. But when you crap the bed early and you run into a 3seed or worse and make your NCAA path much harder....you should not say a word and learn to deal with it or fix the roster turnover for early year games.

Bostons shot will fall when he gets his puppy’s set instead of throwing it at the basket on the run. This team will be totally different come March and many of the posters posting the dumb, attention seeking threads will be “out of pocket”.

Reactions: sk73
Issue is that Nov-Jan can kill your seeding making it much harder to win in March. Let’s face it, it takes luck and skill to win the tournament. Dropping seed lines makes your road that much tougher.
And in a shortened season, that could mean an even earlier exit.
This team needs a full season to right the ship since they are all so young. I just don’t see there being enough runway to land this plane.
Yeah, we'll look good against Ole Miss and Vandy and we'll think we got something, but that's fools gold.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
And in a shortened season, that could mean an even earlier exit.
This team needs a full season to right the ship since they are all so young. I just don’t see there being enough runway to land this plane.
Yeah, we'll look good against Ole Miss and Vandy and we'll think we got something, but that's fools gold.
I agree. Young teams need experience more than anything else and this is the year to gain it. Who knows how many games they’ll actually get?

Reactions: kyjeff1
Many seem to forget that Cal always teaches defense first and only starts getting his offense installed during the Christmas break. There is hope that Brooks will bring a spark when he returns, although I don't recall him being a major factor at all last year. No doubt there will be improvement, but don't expect him to be dominant.

The best path forward may be to get Sarr and Mintz heavily involved in the offense and let the freshmen come along slowly. Boston needs to attack the rim and let the game come to him. Then his outside shots will begin falling. Same with Clarke. Jackson and Fletcher just need to be consistent. Both are extremely valuable to the team.

The guys need to develop a team mentality such that the assists goes up significantly and the TOs go down. At that point, their skills will shine and the game will be a lot more fun for them and the fans.

Reactions: cdbearde
Normally I do, but I don't right now. I don't see a PG that can initiate the offense and breakdown the defense. Bad shooting, Bad passing. Bad team.

Reactions: BBUK
ADVERTISEMENT