ADVERTISEMENT

The ship will right

Increased weight training, maladjustment to increased speed of the game, and heightened anxiety level can all have an influence. Until all these factors are accommodated by the player mechanics can be off.

I agree somewhat on this but WHY i we not seeing this at other schools who have freshmen playing but are hitting this shots ? I am sure they are doing weight training and getting use to increased speed of the game.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I agree somewhat on this but WHY i we not seeing this at other schools who have freshmen playing but are hitting this shots ? I am sure they are doing weight training and getting use to increased speed of the game.

Good question, I was just responding to why could a shot be broken. People accommodate new stressors in their own time within their practice/play environment. Don't know all the answers or reasons.

Reactions: westerncat
Bingo. Finally someone who gets it. Askew reclassified to be at Kentucky. Would he do this to sit the bench? Would Cal ask him to reclassify only to sit the bench? Askew will continue to get the lion's share of minutes because this is Cal's promise to him.

Who has more NBA aspirations; Askew or Mintz?

We saw a similar scenario with Briscoe and Hawkins. Briscoe was a turnover machine. He drove baseline and stepped out of bounds more times than any player I can remember. Hawkins was just solid. Not spectacular, but a great defender and serviceable offensively. Briscoe had NBA aspirations, Hawkins did not. Who kept getting the nod for playing time? Briscoe

Guys, the sooner you understand its not about who makes the "team" better, the more at-peace you will be with Cal's decisions around playing time. Askew will get the nod.

Remember, the goal is to change lives by getting kids to the NBA, winning a title along the way is just a bonus.

Somewhere Briscoe is playing basketball right now and he just stepped out of bounds as you posted this. He sure did have an uncanny knack for that. I liked Briscoe but that was a maddening trait of his.

Fox, Monk and Bams Team look nowhere near as bad as this team. They played pretty good out the gate. Yes had some bad losses but were able to move the ball and play half decent basketball. I’m sure this team will get better, there’s no doubt about that but there are way more glaring holes and deficiencies in this team than any of the past four or five years. We had De’Aaron fox on that team who is a hell of a point guard. We don’t have that this year. That’s troubling.
While Fox, Monk, and Adebayo looked promising early on, this team doesn't have the holes that team had at the SF and PF spot (Clarke or Boston are more natural at SF than Briscoe). This team also has more quality depth in the frontcourt too.

I clearly remember this board being in crisis mode with that team when they hit a slump in late January, and they looked every bit as unimpressive in road losses to Tennessee and Florida.

Through past comments, Cal set the expectations for Kentucky basketball to be like the current expectations for Alabama football. Saban has been able to maximize his players' stock value AND SIMULTANEOUSLY compete for championships on an annual basis.

Cal does have the ability to create a dominate team each year. However, Cal values more that he help get the most players to the league as possible because it changes the players' lives and the players' families lives tremendously. I applaud Cal for helping as many as he can.

Our offense is based on a player creating his own shot or based on plays that will showcase that players ability to complete said play/shot at the next level. We don't see an offensive scheme that involves the entire team working together (i.e., moving without the ball, and passing). Our players without the ball stand still out of the way unless they are the one player setting the screen. This type of offense will create some exciting games here and there December/January/February. Then we get to the tournament in March and face a team that will pack the middle (taking the player specific plays away) and dare us to shoot from the outside.

Cal does not put a premium on being the dominant team or winning championships. He simply does not. Championship teams and dominant teams are lower on his priority list. I think Cal is fine if he never wins another title - as long as he is changing the lives of families each year. He is also fine if we do win another title under his watch, but he is not bothered if it does not happen.

Kentucky fans want to be in contention for a title each year which is not unrealistic. We love basketball and want to see good basketball throughout the season and especially in the tournament.

Through past comments, Cal set the expectations for Kentucky basketball to be like the current expectations for Alabama football. Saban has been able to maximize his players' stock value AND SIMULTANEOUSLY compete for championships on an annual basis.

Cal does have the ability to create a dominate team each year. However, Cal values more that he help get the most players to the league as possible because it changes the players' lives and the players' families lives tremendously. I applaud Cal for helping as many as he can.

Our offense is based on a player creating his own shot or based on plays that will showcase that players ability to complete said play/shot at the next level. We don't see an offensive scheme that involves the entire team working together (i.e., moving without the ball, and passing). Our players without the ball stand still out of the way unless they are the one player setting the screen. This type of offense will create some exciting games here and there December/January/February. Then we get to the tournament in March and face a team that will pack the middle (taking the player specific plays away) and dare us to shoot from the outside.

Cal does not put a premium on being the dominant team or winning championships. He simply does not. Championship teams and dominant teams are lower on his priority list. I think Cal is fine if he never wins another title - as long as he is changing the lives of families each year. He is also fine if we do win another title under his watch, but he is not bothered if it does not happen.

Kentucky fans want to be in contention for a title each year which is not unrealistic. We love basketball and want to see good basketball throughout the season and especially in the tournament.
Amazing post

Cal hates losing. Like the rest of us. That means not winning championship as well. Thats a lost lol. This team will get better.

Yeah I some what agree with you. By March this will be a far better team than now. BUT, we're going to have so many early season losses that it's going to destroy our seed come tournament time. A few more December losses & we're looking at a 5 seed instead of a 2 seed.
I have never expected anything until Jan and feb fir our teams to learn the offense and defensive rotations it’s been that way from day one

Your idea about Clarke at PG is interesting, and might work out well. Just as well might not, but it might. For example, Mintz is not the greatest distributor or quarterback for an offense; but he is a good shooter - maybe our best in-game shooter because he's comfortable with the speed and competition at this level. So I agree that he would be fine as a college 2G.

My concern, however, is with Clarke running the offense. I don't agree that he has a good handle or good passing ability. He has an ok handle and ok passing ability, although maybe considered good for a 6'7" freshman SF. Now maybe you live with that and on the whole it turns out to be what makes the team work best. But I'm skeptical. Right now I'm still in the camp wanting Mintz to be the PG. If that doesn't work, then I'm all in for your plan.
Well, right niw, Clarke is a little lost, he doesn't know what to do or where to be. Out the ball in his hands now and maybe by February, he'll be a decent pg.
Thst puts Mintz at the 2 others he belongs.

Or a free throw? A few tough ones there.

And that’s the thing that always gets overlooked when people are in a rush to say “they’re always there in March.” The losses in March look a lot like the losses in November and December. Go look at the tournament losses since Calipari has been here and they all look remarkably the same. The shooting splits are just dreadful.

Nov to Jan- Terrible basketball. 3 to 5 good minutes per game

Jan to feb- Sparks start to show. 10 to 15 good minutes per game

Feb to- good basketball.

Mar to Apr- hit tournament with a good chance to go far

same story every year when you have 100% turnover.

we will be fine, but a lot of hard to watch basketball for awhile.
the issue is that formula isn't many fans definition of fine.

the term "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" is a good fit for how I would describe it.

Tolerate watching garbage basketball for much of the season only to be told that an elite 8 with NBA talent was a success.

I get that no one wants to admit this, but there was sort of an implied agreement between Cal and the fan base - that agreement was you can bring in mercenaries to the program to pretend to be college students as long as you win titles. At first it worked, then increased competition from other programs getting their one and dones, and Cal applying for sainthood made the process much less results oriented.

The end result is UK fans rationalizing whatever it is we have at the moment as UK basketball. Its not a formula for consistent success, its buying lottery tickets, hoping one day you get the right combination of numbers that pays off - with seemingly similar odds .

Few fans want roster turnover that results in bad basketball, constant excuses and now, what appears to be building contempt for the fanbase expectations that Cal himself set. "we'll recruit the best of the best of the best" "We are the gold standard of college basketball"

Stand and deliver Cal - stand and deliver.

Last edited:
the issue is that formula isn't many fans definition of fine.

the term "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" is a good fit for how I would describe it.

Tolerate watching garbage basketball for much of the season only to be told that an elite 8 with NBA talent was a success.

I get that no one wants to admit this, but there was sort of an implied agreement between Cal and the fan base - that agreement was you can bring in mercenaries to the program to pretend to be college students as long as you win titles. At first it worked, then increased competition from other programs getting their one and dones, and Cal applying for sainthood made the process much less results oriented.

The end result at the moment is UK fans rationalizing whatever it is we have at the moment as UK basketball. Its not a formula for consistent success, its buying lottery tickets, hoping one day you get the right combination of numbers that pays off - with seemingly similar odds .

Few fans want roster turnover that results in bad basketball, constant excuses and now, what appears to be building contempt for the fanbase expectations that Cal himself set. "we'll recruit the best of the best of the best" "We are the gold standard of college basketball"

Stand and deliver Cal - stand and deliver.
It was a consistent formula until Duke, Arizona and Will Wade started making “sweet ass offers”.

that said, since the NCAA doesn’t care about bag men, I agree we need to change the model...

But I think MD’s whole point is that the “with an entirely new cast” every year part is a new aspect coming into UK basketball, an intrusion if you want to call it that, and shouldn’t necessarily be given a free pass to come on in.

Why is it allowed in?

• It makes for ugly, often seed-dropping basketball—the kind of basketball that needs to be justified or explained (by qualifications like “...with an entirely new cast...”).

• It’s definitely not what we intentionally brought John Calipari here for. Because John Calipari never did this before he came to UK. No coach anywhere (college, high school, AAU, or pro) had ever done this yearly total makeover thing before John Calipari came to UK. We hired the Memphis coach, who then came here and did something he never did at Memphis or at UMass. Maybe that’s good and maybe that’s bad. But let’s not be afraid to talk about it either way.

Set aside how we feel about it for a minute. We really are averaging more and bigger early losses the past five years than we ever did before over a consistent period that long. That’s just a matter of history and we should all agree on it.

Now we can move ahead and bring our feelings and opinions into it. Is this new trend a good thing or a bad thing? Is it a short-term bad thing that earns us a long-term good thing?
What would your solution be?

You are either going to have to pass on recruiting some of the best talent and available players in order to get lower ranked guys who will be multi year players. That you hope don't transfer and actually develop. Or you can recruit the higher ranked ones and underdeveloped them in hopes they won't get drafted. Neither is going to have the outcome you are hoping for. The rule sucks, I will agree with that, but Cal and the players can only deal with what theybare given.

Last I checked we brought Cal in because he recruited great players and put his teams in contention to win pretty regularly. Seems he has been doing that here.

But we really aren't. Go look at the avg and you will see we lost a couple of early games on avg during his first 5 years and we have done the same these last 5. Typically between 2 and except for the Wall team that went unbeaten until a shitty USC team beat them. Then we also lost to UT that year. The Davis team only lost 1 game in the regular season to IU. Those were the only teams duing Cal's first 5 to not lose 2 or more early season games. His 6th team, the undefeated team, was the only other group to share that record. So, now, 9 out of his 12 teams have had multiple early season losses. It's not as detrimental as you think.

Wait what?

You are either going to have to pass on recruiting some of the best talent and available players in order to get lower ranked guys who will be multi year players. That you hope don't transfer and actually develop. Or you can recruit the higher ranked ones and underdeveloped them in hopes they won't get drafted. Neither is going to have the outcome you are hoping for. The rule sucks, I will agree with that, but Cal and the players can only deal with what theybare given.

Last I checked we brought Cal in because he recruited great players and put his teams in contention to win pretty regularly. Seems he has been doing that here.

but that is what he is doing now - he is bringing in graduate transfers , players that he wouldn't have recruited as freshmen to UK, but guys that have developed somewhere else. The problem is they have to learn his system, get in shape and play into the rotation like everyone else. So to bring those 3 guys in this year did he pass on recruiting some of the best freshmen talent available? Seems that's a pretty big hole in your logic.

UK would be a much better team if the 3 guys we have now would have been developed here as freshmen. I'd argue that would benefit UK by providing consistent play early in the season and overcome some of the pressure of not knowing how to win games in a deep tourney run. That consistent play would prevent at least some of these early season head scratching losses, resulting in better seeds for the tournament. The tournament experience would help prevent a team going off the rails when they face a disciplined veteran team. There are players out there that would be content to ride the bench , develop and earn their minutes as a veteran player -IF Cal would commit to it. But stubborn Cal doesn't want 3 or 4 guys clogging up his bench and more importantly, his pipeline to the NBA, and he'll continually commit to minutes for a kid based on potential like Askew, Hagans or Diallo over a known quantity veteran player.

Last edited:
Yes they will get better but will not win 6 games in a row in Tourney with Poor 3 and FT shooting.
And you can get young athletes playing better together during the year to the point of consistently beating inferior talent but when you get into the second weekend of the tourney you get to teams with skill, experience, and similar athleticism...and they out execute.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Recruit skill, set expectations in the recruiting discussions, treat all players the same once they are on campus. Whitney is a perfect example of what not to recruit.
Concentrate on recruiting elite PGs (that can shoot) and bigs and surround them with multi year and grad transfer wings and PFs.
Stop screaming while they are running offense. (my personal pet peeve)

Recruit skill, set expectations in the recruiting discussions, treat all players the same once they are on campus. Whitney is a perfect example of what not to recruit.
Concentrate on recruiting elite PGs (that can shoot) and bigs and surround them with multi year and grad transfer wings and PFs.
Stop screaming while they are running offense. (my personal pet peeve)
We already do recruit skill. We typically end up with more of it that anyone.

Whitney was a highly coveted recruit no one expected to be a bust or even a major project. Je was getting comparisons to MKG. He just mentally and emotionally wasn't tough enough to withstand the pressure and physicality of the jump for HS to college.

Lol, we had an elite PG just last year that a shit ton of people on here wanted gone bad. All because he made a couple goofy mistakes as a 19 yo kid. Now those same people want him back and wonder why we can't get players to stick around. LMAO. Before him there was SGA, Fox, Murray, Ulis, and so on. I don't think elite PG has really been a problem until this year. Part of the issue is the main one we recruited opted to help his brother. We still recruited and got a top rated one.

What quality wings and bigs that were grad transfera did we not get or go after? What wings are going to come play behind Clarke, Boston, Brooks, Fletcher, Allen and so on?

Lol, it's called coaching. If you can't handle it, don't play.

Did Dave post anymore in this thread after the OP? Guess he didn’t really want to talk about it haha

but that is what he is doing now - he is bringing in graduate transfers , players that he wouldn't have recruited as freshmen to UK, but guys that have developed somewhere else. The problem is they have to learn his system, get in shape and play into the rotation like everyone else. So to bring those 3 guys in this year did he pass on recruiting some of the best freshmen talent available? Seems that's a pretty big hole in your logic.

UK would be a much better team if the 3 guys we have now would have been developed here as freshmen. I'd argue that would benefit UK by providing consistent play early in the season and overcome some of the pressure of not knowing how to win games in a deep tourney run. That consistent play would prevent at least some of these early season head scratching losses, resulting in better seeds for the tournament. The tournament experience would help prevent a team going off the rails when they face a disciplined veteran team. There are players out there that would be content to ride the bench , develop and earn their minutes as a veteran player -IF Cal would commit to it. But stubborn Cal doesn't want 3 or 4 guys clogging up his bench and more importantly, his pipeline to the NBA, and he'll continually commit to minutes for a kid based on potential like Askew, Hagans or Diallo over a known quantity veteran player.
Lol, what?

Most of the grad transfers we have brought in started and were some of our best players. Reid Travis was a guy we would have recruited early. I think we did if I recall correctly. Sarr was an international kid. Toppin is someone Cal would typically go after just on athleticism alone. Mintz was obviously brought in to fill a whole left.

Did he pass or did they opt for other school? Cade Cunningham was our biggest target of the class. He opted to support his brother. Lol, how is that a hole in the logic?

Lol, if we had used spots like that on them, we likely don't end up with SGA, Nick Richards, Hagans and others. Are you willing to give those guys up for Sarr, Mintz and Toppin? To me it looks like Sarr and Mintz were developed just fine where they went. Sarr is probably the best player on the team as of now.

Lol, even the teams we have had that returned players lost a early season games. The only 2 that didn't were the Wall team and the Towns team. The Wall team lost to a horrific USC and TN teams though. They also fell to WVU. Most teams lose some games. It's going to happen to matter how you build the team.

How did those experienced teams finish in 2010? 2015? 2019? IIRC, didn't they all still go off the rails? What about last year? Weren't they pretty experienced? Didn't they too lose some head scratchers early?

Lol, Cal isn't going to lie and lead on players he knows won't make it or last here. Why didn’t Baker stay and "develop"? Juzang? Charles Matthews? SKJ? Marcus Lee? Wiltjer? Poole? Green? Cal can't force them to stay. He also can't really play them when they suck. Obviously sitting and developing wasn't an option for those guys. So who do you know that is a reasonable talent for UK that wants to come sit and develop to hopefully get their turn?

Askew is the exact type of player you are wanting supposedly. He is obviously a multi-year guy who needs to develop. Now you are bitching about him being here and being developed. That sounds like a major flaw in your logic.

Hagans was a great player. Not having him is a big part of why we struggle right now.

If that's what you need to tell yourself.....💁‍♂️
He speaks the truth, you are just spouting off the danglers talking points. If you love Cal, fine, own up to it. You and about 5 more on this board think everyone is rosey, most on here see major problems and a bad trend since 2015. Say what you like about Cal and let us all move on. But, don't piss on my leg and tell me it is raining.

But we really aren't. Go look at the avg and you will see we lost a couple of early games on avg during his first 5 years and we have done the same these last 5. Typically between 2 and except for the Wall team that went unbeaten until a shitty USC team beat them. Then we also lost to UT that year. The Davis team only lost 1 game in the regular season to IU. Those were the only teams duing Cal's first 5 to not lose 2 or more early season games. His 6th team, the undefeated team, was the only other group to share that record. So, now, 9 out of his 12 teams have had multiple early season losses. It's not as detrimental as you think.
What does everyone else do? See, nobody has answered this and I've asked it a thousand times.

What does Michigan State, Gonzaga, Virginia, uNC, Florida, Villinova, Wisconsin, Kansas, Baylor… .everyone not named UK and duke… .what do they do?

I have a theory, I mean, maybe we can try to NOT do pro days, NOT prioritize the NBA draft, allow all our players to play through mistakes, not just the NBA prospects. We could stop taking more than 1 or 2 non top 10 5* kids that are just athletes, but are on the NBA's radar, because they're long & athletic. They come here and have to be taught how to walk and chew gum most of the year, then leave, because they made a couple shots against Wofford in the NCAAT.

Look at Tyrese Maxey. What exactly did he do at UK? What did Diallo do? Kevin Knox, Sasha Killeya Jones, Wenyen, Vanderbilt, Quade etc… I mean, Isaiah Brick-so left after 2 years, for what? Overseas? Don't you think that's a problem? How do you build a program when these guys refuse to stay any longer than 2 years whether they accomplished anything or not. Some of these guys were, apparently, told by Cal to come back, but left anyway. Know why? Because they had it in their minds that they are not staying here more than 2 years.

Gotta stop bringing guys in that are only coming here to sharpen their skills and leave after a year or two. Especially the ones that are athletic, but have no skills.

If you land a couple top 10, or… ..GASP… ..a top 5 kid, fine, but if you want to fix this, start prioritizing UK basketball and Juniors and seniors. You can't deny that Cal prioririzes the NBA draft, that's very obvious, buy you're playing coy with that.

You guys act like this isn't just happening at UK. Even duke has upperclassmen, we're the only idiots that aren't retaining players.

Well we had a guy healthy enough to show off for the scouts at PRO DAY! and throw down nasty dunks with no signs of a lower body injury but not healthy enough to play in games still nearly a month after that. Take that for what you will

Lol, what?

Most of the grad transfers we have brought in started and were some of our best players. Reid Travis was a guy we would have recruited early. I think we did if I recall correctly. Sarr was an international kid. Toppin is someone Cal would typically go after just on athleticism alone. Mintz was obviously brought in to fill a whole left.

Did he pass or did they opt for other school? Cade Cunningham was our biggest target of the class. He opted to support his brother. Lol, how is that a hole in the logic?

Lol, if we had used spots like that on them, we likely don't end up with SGA, Nick Richards, Hagans and others. Are you willing to give those guys up for Sarr, Mintz and Toppin? To me it looks like Sarr and Mintz were developed just fine where they went. Sarr is probably the best player on the team as of now.

Lol, even the teams we have had that returned players lost a early season games. The only 2 that didn't were the Wall team and the Towns team. The Wall team lost to a horrific USC and TN teams though. They also fell to WVU. Most teams lose some games. It's going to happen to matter how you build the team.

How did those experienced teams finish in 2010? 2015? 2019? IIRC, didn't they all still go off the rails? What about last year? Weren't they pretty experienced? Didn't they too lose some head scratchers early?

Lol, Cal isn't going to lie and lead on players he knows won't make it or last here. Why didn’t Baker stay and "develop"? Juzang? Charles Matthews? SKJ? Marcus Lee? Wiltjer? Poole? Green? Cal can't force them to stay. He also can't really play them when they suck. Obviously sitting and developing wasn't an option for those guys. So who do you know that is a reasonable talent for UK that wants to come sit and develop to hopefully get their turn?

Askew is the exact type of player you are wanting supposedly. He is obviously a multi-year guy who needs to develop. Now you are bitching about him being here and being developed. That sounds like a major flaw in your logic.

Hagans was a great player. Not having him is a big part of why we struggle right now.
Man, there is soooo much wrong in this post.

You seriously don't unserstand why all those guys transfered do you? Have you not been paying attention? Look what's happening to Allen right now. One mistake and he has to watch the rest of the game from the bench, meanwhile the all star freshmen get to stink it up all game and stay in. Same things happened to all those other players.

Are you seriously saying the losses to S. Carolina and UT in 2010 and the loss to Wisconsin in 2015 is the same as what's happening now? You said those teams went off the rails… what? You said those teams lost some head scratchers… what? No, Evansville, K-State, Indiana, Auburn and Richmond ard head scratchers.

Yeah, Askew is the type of player we want… .but in order for it to work, he needs to stay here beyond his sophomore year, but you know he won't and that's the problem. Look around the country, guys like Askew aren't jumping to the GL or overseas after 2 years at Michigan State, Nova, UVA etc… . this is a UK thing.

On the Hagans issue, we wanted him here, but you can't deny that his turnovers were an issue, something that would have been fixed with more time at UK, he chose to leave even though he wasn't getting drafted. Also, he was a head case, what he did to cost us the UT game last year and the E8 Auburn game are tough to get past for some. I wish he stayed, but he made a choice, which is the same choice most current UK project players make before they mature.

I need to reread your post again, you can't be as oblivious as I think you are.

Yup, read it again, you truly are oblivious.

Last edited:
I see @Will Bithers laughing at my posts, but that means he's going to be another pumper that doesn't have an answer or response to all the things that were said or asked. Typical.

Not one pumper has answered the question: what is everyone else doing? Why is everyone else retaining their players until they graduate and we can't retain project players beyond their sophomore years?

How is Villanova, uNC, UVA, MSU, UT, KU etc able to put really good juniors and seniors on the floor and we struggle to field guys beyond their sophomore years? Can anyone answer this?

I know the answers, but it doesn't appear that the Cal first fans want to answer those things.

I see @Will Bithers laughing at my posts, but that means he's going to be another pumper that doesn't have an answer or response to all the things that were said or asked. Typical.

Not one pumper has answered the question: what is everyone else doing? Why is everyone else retaining their players until they graduate and we can't retain project players beyond their sophomore years?

How is Villanova, uNC, UVA, MSU, UT, KU etc able to put really good juniors and seniors on the floor and we struggle to field guys beyond their sophomore years? Can anyone answer this?

I know the answers, but it doesn't appear that the Cal first fans want to answer those things.
Another question I have asked is how long since we had a senior day for a scholarship player that Cal recruited? They won’t answer that either .

Another question I have asked is how long since we had a senior day for a scholarship player that Cal recruited? They won’t answer that either .
These questions shut the Cal fans up almost as fast as when I asked Bass if he supported BCG and Tubby until the end. He replied to everything except those questions. He knew what was coming next.

ADVERTISEMENT