ADVERTISEMENT

The SECt may be worth winning this year

Fadhi

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 11, 2013
I know Cal does not care most years but the SEC is down and Skal needs to play all he can before the dance.
The confidence boost could to wonders an beating AtM would feel good.

this is the first year in a while that I've looked at the SECT as anything more than a nuisance - always nice to see the guys play, of course, but concerned about possible injuries in games that didn't need to be played
I'm with the OP regarding Skal - he plays through three SECT games as he did our last two regular season games, we will have good reason to be very optimistic about a deep run in the NCAAT

UK wins the SECT and they could push for a 2 seed. I think they could land in the Louisville regional with a 2, 3 is iffy, doubtful with a 4.
Does the committee take Sunday's result into consideration? Some posters say yes others say no. Some clarification would be nice.

Does the committee take Sunday's result into consideration? Some posters say yes others say no. Some clarification would be nice.
IIRC the answer is no; in 2011 when UK won the SECT over UF, but still got a lower seed than we should have, the explanation was that the seeds were set before the final SECT game since it was so late.

IIRC the answer is no; in 2011 when UK won the SECT over UF, but still got a lower seed than we should have, the explanation was that the seeds were set before the final SECT game since it was so late.

Which is an absolute joke of a reason.
Have it figured out where we go if we win, where we go if we lose.
Not rocket science.
Lazy, anti UK MFers.

Which is an absolute joke of a reason.
Have it figured out where we go if we win, where we go if we lose.
Not rocket science.
Lazy, anti UK MFers.
Yeah, I mean how hard is to have both scenarios factored in. They did it when Ole Miss won a couple of years ago.

Forget the seeding, forget the "bias" by the committee; that's irrelevant. The tournament is important because it gives us the opportunity to play three games with: a healthy Poythress; a healthy Willis; and (hopefully) a productive Skal.

The game against LSU was the first time all season we've really had all three of those at once, and the results were pretty encouraging. We need to look at this as an opportunity to figure out how to maximize all three of those things and build some serious confidence heading into the real tournament.

Lol, Cal cares about winning every game we play in. He lets on and some of you fall for it. He just wants the guys to know the "real" prize is the big tournament.

SEC championships add to our list.

UK wins the SECT and they could push for a 2 seed. I think they could land in the Louisville regional with a 2, 3 is iffy, doubtful with a 4.
Do you not remember the Brandon Knight year? We beat Fla twice in a week, the second one for the SECt win, we got a 4 seed and they got a 2, the selection committee said they don't even consider the SEC tournament finals. Get to the final game and maybe we get bumped up to a 3, but that game doesn't matter.....unless we lose. Stupid selection committee

Reactions: .S&C.
Do you not remember the Brandon Knight year? We beat Fla twice in a week, the second one for the SECt win, we got a 4 seed and they got a 2, the selection committee said they don't even consider the SEC tournament finals. Get to the final game and maybe we get bumped up to a 3, but that game doesn't matter.....unless we lose. Stupid selection committee

It's completely ridiculous. As UKfan79 said, we need to move this game up a day for sure.

Reactions: tbone.ky
Nothing about the SEC tournament should affect seedings for us this year regardless of time played. Wins over Alabama, south Carolina, and even Texas am aren't going to make that Big a dent in our resume. Those three games out of thirty four aren't going to propel us to a two seed, nor drop us to a five. We are a 3/4. Even geography is probably more a function of preventing conference rematches.

The SECT is important. Countless fans plan for this all year and make a pilgrimage/spectacle out of it. Making the finals should be the minimum expectation as our reward. It's our party and its what we do.

Winning it also keeps us from having 10 losses when we get bounced in the big tournament. Its only one more loss, but it will keep "ten loss" talk from being regurgitated in countless threads over the next few years.

Reactions: Ugoff and W2R
Forget the seeding, forget the "bias" by the committee; that's irrelevant. The tournament is important because it gives us the opportunity to play three games with: a healthy Poythress; a healthy Willis; and (hopefully) a productive Skal.

The game against LSU was the first time all season we've really had all three of those at once, and the results were pretty encouraging. We need to look at this as an opportunity to figure out how to maximize all three of those things and build some serious confidence heading into the real tournament.

This. Need the reps. We look to be blossoming at the right time. Now we need to become consistent, particularly down low.

Plus, other teams ranked higher than us will lose and we have the chance to move up to a 3 seed if we can win the thing.

Problem is Kentucky's seed would already be set before the SEC Tournament game is even played. It's essentially a pointless game from the NCAA Tournament standpoint for teams that are locks to make it.

We want to win and hopefully beat Texas A and M in the final. It will change the dynamics

Winning it could also lead to a better seed for the NCAA. Certainly better than losing it. It always matters to me, but yea I think this year it matters more. Last year we could have lost the first game, and still been a #1. This year each win could help, and I'd sure like to see the Cat's get another shot at A&M on a neutral floor. Well sort of neutral anyway.

Winning the tourney could get us a 2 seed and guarantee a 3 minimum.

Folks, winning the SEC Tournament does not help one's NCAA seed. Kentucky's seed will have already been decided on the day before. The selection committee established such things years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT