ADVERTISEMENT

The Revolving Door needs to be Less Frequent

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
The recruiting consistency of Cal not getting Elite NBA talent every year is staggering. Cal is still getting good players, specifically good 5* players. I think the recruiting trial has been rocky because I don't think Barbee and Justus are doing that great of a job. Look at the talent save for the 2013 year, that we had in when we had Antigua and Strickland.

I think half of the battle of the recruiting trail is having great Assistant Coaches. Not sure these two are doing a great job in that aspect.

The Revolving Door of mass exodus and freshman one and done's needs to be less frequent for Cal and Kentucky to be in a spot where we should or at least could make a Final Four every year. Since Cal isn't getting the top elite players anymore, missing out on Williams, Barrett and now Wiseman, the 5* players he has coming may need to stick around for another year or two.

I strongly feel that Cal's new approach SHOULD be about maintaining his 5* players that come in, not tout them out as one and done's and focus them to be 2 year players. The NBA will always be there. Not every player is or should be a OAD. The Elites will be, and they are consistently set apart throughout the basketball year. They are typically obvious. Wall, Cousins, Towns, Davis ect. Right now, I think Keldon is the only one that could be and might be OAD this year. EJ has a ton of potential to be a OAD as well. I think if PJ can play consistently well and put up number's he'll go too.

If you notice that Cal's best two teams, 2011-2012 and 2014-2015 teams had GREAT starting Talent coming back. I have been saying this for years, if you're not lottery don't go. Be a Sophomore. Focus with experience and talent.

I know that if we don't at least make a Final Four this year, and somehow Duke wins a 3rd title in the Coach Cal era with Cal's OAD system, it may be a civil war between fans.

Duke has 2 titles in the Cal era. It's disgusting. Plus, they have our 2014-2015 title which makes it even worse. Let's hope we can bring home 9 this year.

Reactions: AF Cat and sdryan2
....somehow Duke wins a 3rd title in the Coach Cal era with Cal's OAD system...

I’m pretty sure if that happened I would spontaneously combust due to anger and @docholiday51 could say:

perhaps-the-strain-was-more-than-he-could-bear.jpg

The recruiting consistency of Cal not getting Elite NBA talent every year is staggering. Cal is still getting good players, specifically good 5* players. I think the recruiting trial has been rocky because I don't think Barbee and Justus are doing that great of a job. Look at the talent save for the 2013 year, that we had in when we had Antigua and Strickland.

I think half of the battle of the recruiting trail is having great Assistant Coaches. Not sure these two are doing a great job in that aspect.

The Revolving Door of mass exodus and freshman one and done's needs to be less frequent for Cal and Kentucky to be in a spot where we should or at least could make a Final Four every year. Since Cal isn't getting the top elite players anymore, missing out on Williams, Barrett and now Wiseman, the 5* players he has coming may need to stick around for another year or two.

I strongly feel that Cal's new approach SHOULD be about maintaining his 5* players that come in, not tout them out as one and done's and focus them to be 2 year players. The NBA will always be there. Not every player is or should be a OAD. The Elites will be, and they are consistently set apart throughout the basketball year. They are typically obvious. Wall, Cousins, Towns, Davis ect. Right now, I think Keldon is the only one that could be and might be OAD this year. EJ has a ton of potential to be a OAD as well. I think if PJ can play consistently well and put up number's he'll go too.

If you notice that Cal's best two teams, 2011-2012 and 2014-2015 teams had GREAT starting Talent coming back. I have been saying this for years, if you're not lottery don't go. Be a Sophomore. Focus with experience and talent.

I know that if we don't at least make a Final Four this year, and somehow Duke wins a 3rd title in the Coach Cal era with Cal's OAD system, it may be a civil war between fans.
Strickland wasn't a recruiter.

This team has three returning sophomores and a senior.

SGA blew up and went pro. He told Knox and his dad to come back for another year. There's really only so much you can do. At some point, the kids make their own choices.

Do you think Cal told Gabriel to leave? No, but you have to publicly stand by your guys once they make their choices.

Reactions: ConRay9
We need to find that sweet spot where they are highly regarded yet do NOT expect to be 1-n-D. We've had waaaaaaaay too many guys who left early or transfer because they get recruited over, feel that they failed when compared with their team mates in the class....pushing them into the G-League. We have problems with expectation of 1-n-d millionaires in waiting who really dont want to be in school.

Frankly I dont care that Wiseman plays 1 season in Memphis and probably doesnt give it an effort in the NIT. Vanderbilt made me really become disgusted with what we had become wrt that level of player.

There was a bunch of fans wanting to recruit down to avoid guys leaving after one year, anybody that did shouldn’t complain about not getting top talent that they bemoaned anyway as holding us back. The second tier guys leave too, so like I and others said years ago you need to the top guys. Doesn’t matter if they leave, you have to have them in this system.

Don’t bother pointing to Jay Wright, he spent forever underachieving in the tournament and I don’t think he’s found a recipe more than he got the right mix of players that can’t be routinely duplicated.

Yeah, Cal sucks. Getting the number 2 class, when he doesn’t get the number 1 class, just sucks. What would BBN think if he every got the number 3 rated class? Most of you guys would probably hire his ass. Don’t you remember when Tubby and Gillespie were getting mostly 3 star players? This is like people bitching about how much tax they have to pay after winning the lottery.

Reactions: 420grover

I think we’re getting good enough players. Better players than pretty much every team.

We need to coach better.

Yeah, Cal sucks. Getting the number 2 class, when he doesn’t get the number 1 class, just sucks. What would BBN think if he every got the number 3 rated class? Most of you guys would probably hire his ass. Don’t you remember when Tubby and Gillespie were getting mostly 3 star players? This is like people bitching about how much tax they have to pay after winning the lottery.

Maybe you should quit drinking that whiskey and learn some reading comprehension lol. I never said Cal sucks. Go re-read again.

ADVERTISEMENT