ADVERTISEMENT

The reason I gave up on network TV

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Besides the fact that 98% of what's on the networks is unwatchable, the number of commercials is beyond the pale. My wife and I sat down to watch The Big Bang tonight on our over-air antenna. I have all but stopped watching it but it was on and I was in the room. However, she asked me to count how many commercials were shown in the middle break. Now, several were 15 seconds but more were 30 seconds or longer. SIXTEEN commercials! SIXTEEN! 7 minutes of commercials. When I watch a network series on Netflix that originally ran an hour, there's normally about 42-43 minutes of actual show. By contrast, the original Star Trek series is now on Netflix and each episode is 50 minutes. And, the initial commercial break has almost as many commercials although there are not nearly as many 30+ second ones. I don't know but I'd guess that TBBT actual episode time each week is less than 20 minutes.

I like having the networks for live sports and about 2-3 shows that I normally watch on the network website. I can't fathom watching network live the majority of the time. You'd spend 1/3 of your time watching commercials. I've had Sling the past 2 CFB seasons but may switch to YouTube TV next year and see if that package covers everything, including local stations in Denver, that I want. With an unlimited DVR, as God is my witness, I'll never watch commercials again (except during live sports programs)!

Did you know that broadcast networks come to you at no charge? It's because of the commercials. That's how they make money. It's been that way for 70+ years now.

TMYK_HEADER.jpg

Besides the fact that 98% of what's on the networks is unwatchable, the number of commercials is beyond the pale. My wife and I sat down to watch The Big Bang tonight on our over-air antenna. I have all but stopped watching it but it was on and I was in the room. However, she asked me to count how many commercials were shown in the middle break. Now, several were 15 seconds but more were 30 seconds or longer. SIXTEEN commercials! SIXTEEN! 7 minutes of commercials. When I watch a network series on Netflix that originally ran an hour, there's normally about 42-43 minutes of actual show. By contrast, the original Star Trek series is now on Netflix and each episode is 50 minutes. And, the initial commercial break has almost as many commercials although there are not nearly as many 30+ second ones. I don't know but I'd guess that TBBT actual episode time each week is less than 20 minutes.

I like having the networks for live sports and about 2-3 shows that I normally watch on the network website. I can't fathom watching network live the majority of the time. You'd spend 1/3 of your time watching commercials. I've had Sling the past 2 CFB seasons but may switch to YouTube TV next year and see if that package covers everything, including local stations in Denver, that I want. With an unlimited DVR, as God is my witness, I'll never watch commercials again (except during live sports programs)!
Shows that the wife and I watch are recorded and watched the next day to fast forward during commercial breaks. It is annoying how many commercials are on now and, the sound level goes up when they come on.

Last edited:
Did you know that broadcast networks come to you at no charge? It's because of the commercials. That's how they make money. It's been that way for 70+ years now.

TMYK_HEADER.jpg

That supposed to make me feel better about bending over to get reamed? 'Sposed to feel sorry for some of the wealthiest corporations on the planet? Yeah, woe is them.

And it's not free, check your cable bill... For free they somehow weasled in a 15 dollar monthly broadcast TV fee. Thanks Obama.

Oh and yeah he's right, the amount of ads are ridiculous. So I have to pay you 200 bucks a month for TV and you are going to give me loads of branwashing BS to try to get me to buy a Big Mac everday... incessantly.

Open disclosure, I'm a hypocrite and they get my money, but that's just cause I like to watch the Cats play and the like. Otherwise, I don't partake in your apparent joy in being fleeced..

it's a racket... rant over

I’m about to go cut my cables. **** them

This will just make them raise the prices on the rest of us, thanks bro.

What other commodity increases price on less demand? Oil i guess? Yeah, that's a racket too; we pay 2-6 dollars a gallon in the west while they pay 10 cents in Saudi Arabia.

And it's not free, check your cable bill... For free they somehow weasled in a 15 dollar monthly broadcast TV fee. Thanks Obama.

Don't have a cable bill, please advise how I'm watching the Alabama game for free tomorrow.

TMYK_HEADER.jpg

Wow - how insightful! I didn't know that networks showed commercials. Thanks for the input. Sixteen consecutive commercials and you think that's the way it's been for 70+ years. Oh, okay.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Piss and moan or make money off these advertising revenues by owning shares of CBS, Comcast or Disney. Hell you can even own shares of the disrupters like Netflix or Roku.

Reactions: SomeDudeCRO
N/w tv is like terrestrial radio (esp FM). It sucks. They’re going after women audiences and the quality of programs is shit. Women’s tastes in pop culture suck, and marketers are following suit

Better check what you can use the DVR for first. I signed up to try out the Sling TV DVR and was very disappointed to find out Disney/ABC blocked the use of it for their channels, which of course include the main ones I wanted it for in the first place (all the ESPN channels). So I immediately dropped it.

Last edited:
Better check what you can use the DVR for first. I signed up to try out the Sling TV DVR and was very disappointed to find out Disney/ABC block the use of it for their channels, which of course include the main ones I wanted it for in the first place (all the ESPN channels). So I immediately dropped it.

Did not know that - thanks for the tip.

No offense but I don't believe for a second that someone showed 16 consecutive commercials.
Believe it not, I counted 'em. Some were 15 sec spots for CBS shows, some were 15 sec spots for various products and there were a handful that were 30+ seconds for cars, some drug, etc. I couldn't believe it, either, but I counted them. 7 minutes of nonstop commercials. Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue.

N/w tv is like terrestrial radio (esp FM). It sucks. They’re going after women audiences and the quality of programs is shit. Women’s tastes in pop culture suck, and marketers are following suit
Man, why do you have to be so misogynistic? There is no reason to blame women for the state of network tv these days. They have very little say in the programming or commercial content. Besides, bitches aren't going to put up with these attitudes any longer. #themtoo

Believe it not, I counted 'em. Some were 15 sec spots for CBS shows, some were 15 sec spots for various products and there were a handful that were 30+ seconds for cars, some drug, etc. I couldn't believe it, either, but I counted them. 7 minutes of nonstop commercials. Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue.

Nope. 30 minute shows normally have 22-23 minutes of programming. So this episode either had one commercial break or you’re wrong.

My wife DVRs the show. Tell me which episode and I’ll see if she still has it and I’ll fact check it for you.

Reactions: 420grover
The math doesn't add up. Handful(5) of 30 sec spots = 2 1/2 minutes. 12- 15 second spots = 3 minutes.

You people are sadly misinformed. TV doesn't run commercials to make money, they do it to make you an educated consumer. Anyone who says he knew that McDonalds was introducing a new Big Mac before the commercial is a liar.

The commercials for the prescription drugs are especially enlightening. They spend 10 seconds telling you how the drug can enhance your life, and 50 seconds about the side effects that can kill you.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
DVR and waiting an hour or day to watch solves a lot of those commercial problems for network shows.

Crying about tv commercials is so 1990s...they invented dvr, tivo, etc

If anything the outrage should be how many ads are on youtube...30 second commercials for a 45 second video

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Crying about tv commercials is so 1990s...they invented dvr, tivo, etc

If anything the outrage should be how many ads are on youtube...30 second commercials for a 45 second video

I recommend adblock plus for the youtube ads. Those are super annoying.

---
I was watching reruns of The Office a day or so ago & during a couple of breaks I saw nine consecutive commercials, but I counted seventeen straight about mid-way through one show. Most of the commercials were short, but good lord, I forgot what the show was about after that long of a stretch.

Spica Orbit

I'm giving up sports. When I was watching the game earlier, right in the middle of the game, they showed 15 minutes worth of commercials. It was ridiculous. They had to show at least 43 in a row. Most of them were advertising for other games, some really short, others longer, but I counted the time on my faithful Timex(I'm telling ya, those things are just like a woman, take a licking and keep on ticking) and it was a full 15 minutes!

ADVERTISEMENT