ADVERTISEMENT

The Real Reason Kentucky Thumped UCLA

CELTICAT

All-American
May 21, 2002
Where Eagles Dare
A lot of people will point to this team getting it on defense. Others will point out how well prepared Coach Cal had the team. Others will say our guards simply outplayed theirs. But I'm here to give you the real reason.

Yesterday, the man that made sure an out of state fan like me could catch an occasional game in Rupp, who took me to the Final Four in 1998, and who spent countless hours with me yelling at the tv twice a week, my father, went home to be with Jesus. As his final moments drew near, I didn't especially care about the game, but I also knew we had it in the bag.

A couple weeks ago, I was able to watch the game against Arkansas in the SECT with him in his hospital room. What an incredible blessing for us to be able to share that one final time. There is a hereditary nature to Kentucky basketball that is powerful, and I know most you get exactly what I mean. So if you've read this far, and if you huddled around a radio, or a cabinet tv with your parents to watch Kentucky basketball, please give your folks a call and tell 'em how much you appreciate the gift of Kentucky basketball.

Last edited:
A lot of people will point to this team getting it on defense. Others will point out how well prepared Coach Cal had the team. Others will say our guards simply outplayed theirs. But I'm here to give you the real reason.

Yesterday, the man that made sure an out of state fan like me could catch an occasional game in Rupp, who took me to the Final Four in 1998, and who spent countless hours with me yelling at the tv twice a week, my father, went to home to be with Jesus. As his final moments drew near, I didn't especially care about the game, but I also knew we had it in the bag.

A couple weeks ago, I was able to watch the game against Arkansas in the SECT with him in his hospital room. What an incredible blessing for us to be able to share that one final time. There is a hereditary nature to Kentucky basketball that is powerful, and I know most you get exactly what I mean. So if you've read this far, and if you huddled around a radio, or a cabinet tv with your parents to watch Kentucky basketball, please give your folks a call and tell 'em how much you appreciate the gift of Kentucky basketball.

Bless you and your family...

Thanks for sharing that and I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I used to make jokes about UK fans telling people here in Georgia that you could find some old woman deep in a holler and she could tell you what's wrong with this years team. My mother, who no longer lives in my beloved Ky hills is the epitome of that statement. She is 84 and has no patience for bad basketball. I chuckle every time she complains.

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. We can't replace those who came before us and taught us the right ways, but we can always remember and love them for it.

Prayers for you and your family. I am sorry for your loss. It is in those times in life that we truly understand about what is important and what is not. BBN is a joy to be a part of.

I remember growing up my dad called his dad or his dad called him after every single UK game. My dad & I do the same now.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
My dad passed away a few years ago. I lived 1,000 miles from him the last 20 years of his life, and our main connection was, before the internet took over, him sending me articles in the mail, and calling him right after every game. In the 60's, we couldn't get tickets to Memorial, so he took me to stand in line for "standing room only" tickets, to see Rupp's teams. By far, the single most positive connection to my Dad was UK Basketball. I still want to pick up the phone after games and share with him. I guess I always will. Sorry for your loss.

Yesterday, the man that made sure an out of state fan like me could catch an occasional game in Rupp, who took me to the Final Four in 1998, and who spent countless hours with me yelling at the tv twice a week, my father, went home to be with Jesus. As his final moments drew near, I didn't especially care about the game, but I also knew we had it in the bag.

Condolences to you and family. My prayers for your father sent. My mother who raised me on UK basketball died just a few hours after the 2012 Championship. My father said that he had gone to bed (UL fan) but heard her screaming and cheering for the game. He woke up the next morning to find her dead in the bathroom. I understand what you are going through.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Sorry for your loss,I hope you find comfort in the memories you have.Stories like this are what makes us who we are,it makes me proud to be part of the Big Blue Nation

Reactions: TexKat
So sorry for the loss of your Dad.

My Dad passed in 1987. Hard to count the hundreds of times I sat by the radio with him, listening to Claude Sullivan in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, followed by Cawood. So neat remembering how Dad always turned down the TV sound and listened to Cawood.

Great, great loving memories that you and I will never, ever lose.

Reactions: CELTICAT

That was beautiful, man. Some of the best memories of my pops was watching the cats. Him in his flannel shirt, listening to caywood puffing his cheap cigars.

Prayers to your family.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story with us

Sad to have read this and glad to have read this.I know exactly what you are talking about,lost mine in 2015 and he was still rooting on the Cats.

Awwww, CELTICAT, I am so sorry you lost your Dad. Mine passed away in 2009 and I miss him still, especially this time of year. My family was blessed to live in Lexington and have UK season tickets so I went to many games with him. He did the best impression of Adolph Rupp. It's great that you were able to see a championship with your Dad. Lasting memories that will never fade!

Sorry for your loss and prayers sent to you and family. Memories are there for you to remember the good times. My Father left us 20 years ago. Although he wasn't a sports fan I miss and think of him Daily. Guess my Grandfather introduced me to UK Basketball. It's been good every since. May the Lord help you through this time!

Great post. Thoughts and prayers to your family.

God bless you

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family as you morn the loss of your Father.

I pray that His holy presence will be felt by all of you as you reflect and celebrate your Fathers life. I hope you and all of your family tell happy, funny stories about your Father and his journey ...

With Aloha

AlohaCat

My Dad has had season tickets for many years going back to Memorial Coliseum days but he is getting in bad health with arthritis and it's hard for him to climb the upper arena stairs. My mother told him that he's going to die in Rupp Arena. He replied "I hope so".

I feel the same way. My Dad passed away just before Billy showed up. At least he didn't have to see that debacle. Wish he could have made it back to the promised land with Cal. Miss him every day and especially game-days.

our thoughts are with you and your family. our condolences for your loss

Man this is a sad one to read, my prayers to your dad. My dad turned 70 March 1 and after open heart surgery in 2004, every year I have him around I consider a blessing.

Posts like this are what's needed to keep our feet grounded on what really matters in life.

Excellent post.

I'm terribly sorry for you loss. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

The gift of UK basketball certainly runs deep. I was texting my pops about the game well after 1 a.m. He's 72 and was just as amped as me.

What a beautiful tribute to your dad. There aren't many of us who didn't come by it honest. Most of us, even as mouthy teenagers, would find that bond for two hours on a Tuesday listening to Joe Dean and Tom Hammond on Jefferson Pilot. For me, it was during those games that I would hear about Groza, Hagan and my dad's favorite, the great Ralph Beard. My dad passed when I was at UK, way too early. He missed the Unforgettables run by a few months.
I swear I still get misty sometimes when my 14-year old puts his phone down and sidles up to me for a game.
Peace be with you.

An experience unfortunately I never got to have...sorry for your loss.

God Bless OP. My brothers and I still congregate at Dads to watch the games like we did 45 years ago when we were kids. Just wouldn't seem right any other way. Part of the unique family experience we share as UK fans.

CELTICAT... I really thought your post was touching and heart-warming.... it made me reflect on my Mother....she is 90....and loves the CATS! She watched the game last night and told me what a great game Fox had...how Monk was doing better and how happy she was for, " the boys from Kentucky [Dom and Willis]....she wants us to beat UNC..., " I never liked them"....LOL

With Aloha

AlohaCat

I'm with you CELTICAT. I lost my Mom very, very early Friday morning. Operating on little to no sleep I managed to stay up for the game last night. I hate to say it, but it was probably the least involved and emotion filled game in my lifetime. Due to the wear and tear of the day, I basically watched bits and pieces of the game like an average b'ball fan. Mom was not a big UK b'ball fan but she always wanted to see them win for my sake. And I remember watching the '96 championship game with her. Over the years I could always count on a UK related item at Christmas or birthday from her.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad this year too. It's not easy but the good memories will get you through. So now I will let you in on a secret. Your Dad loved every minute of every game he was able to see with you. Why ?? because he was with you. That's what it is really about. I was in Indy last weekend with my grown son watching every game. . The Basketball was great,but the conversations and time with him was what life is all about. So as you honor your Dad,remember it was you who gave him some of the happiest times of his life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT