ADVERTISEMENT

The OL

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
UK’s OL is one of the best in the country. I appreciated the comments from the UL DL after the game. They were respectful of the UK OL, very classy in defeat.

Logan Stenberg is a beast who will play at the next level. Drake is brilliant and gets the most out of what he has. Young, Watkins, Wolfe, Fortner are all very good. But, I think the soph Kinnard may be the best of the group.

Jackson is amazing. When I see him standing next to the other OL in the huddle, I see the disparity in size. The guy is like an Einstein Pitbull on the field. I think Wilson is a very good center. I just think Jackson is elite.
Wish I could remember more details but (old age i guess) the O-Line took a Giant step forward the game where Drake was moved up to the Starting Center and Bunchy was allowed to return to a more natural Guard position, after that change the "Line" truly became the engine that has been driving the Offense the last three years. Bunchy was giving it his best but as I recall was prone to some High snaps. And honestly I can't recall Drake's last "bad" snapl

Wish I could remember more details but (old age i guess) the O-Line took a Giant step forward the game where Drake was moved up to the Starting Center and Bunchy was allowed to return to a more natural Guard position, after that change the "Line" truly became the engine that has been driving the Offense the last three years. Bunchy was giving it his best but as I recall was prone to some High snaps. And honestly I can't recall Drake's last "bad" snapl

Yep. You are right. Bunchy had a lot of bad snaps early. Not sure if it was nerves or Bunch feeling too rushed having to snap and then block, or what, but Jackson stepping in there really helped to settle things down and move us forward.

Another thing, last year, we struggled with having Young injured. Price was rotated in and on the right side we had a revolving door as well because of injuries. IIRC Kinnard came in and looked great before he too got banged up. So, it is not a surprise to me that he came back this year and has done very well.

Jackson is amazing. When I see him standing next to the other OL in the huddle, I see the disparity in size. The guy is like an Einstein Pitbull on the field. I think Wilson is a very good center. I just think Jackson is elite.

I'm curious as to his actual size. He definitely isn't that big. Not close to his listed size. If you saw him on the street, you'd never think he was a high level player.

Kids technique must be off the charts

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
My favorite unit on the field always has been! Out of the nine that played the most snaps all season seven return! Plus all freshmen o. lineman were redshirted! Coach John S. was a over achieving guard during his UK playing days and it's apparent to me he's passed that on to his bigger stronger players!

My favorite unit on the field always has been! Out of the nine that played the most snaps all season seven return! Plus all freshmen o. lineman were redshirted! Coach John S. was a over achieving guard during his UK playing days and it's apparent to me he's passed that on to his bigger stronger players!

In years past I have tried to key on the O-line, but didn't do that as much this year. In Stoops' first several years UK basically played 2 strings of offensive linemen and rotated them. The only two that never came out were the LT and the C (Swindle and Toth). Everyone else rotated series. It seemed like we continued to do this, except that we even did it with LT if we could. Has this continued, or was UK more set on just using first string? How did Logan's backup do?

I've been impressed with the OL too but the guy who amazes me is Jackson. Numerous games in terrible weather and a nary bad or even poor snap. Just a terrific job.
Totally agree...we take a full season and I can only think of 1 snap that was flubbed due to high/low snaps. Back to the Jon Toth era and then we had 1/2 season of a whole slew of bad snaps with Bunchy/Nick Haynes....then comes in Drake and hardly a handful in now 3 seasons.

Who is our center of the future, Drake will be hard to replace, he has without a doubt helped Lynn reading defenses. He’s a smart player!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
2020 UK OL

Seniors
Drake Jackson
Luke Fortner
Landon Young

Juniors
Austin Dotson
Darian Kinnard
Naasir Watkins

Sophomores
Quintin Wilson
Kenneth Horsey
Nick Lewis

Redshirt freshmen
Eli. Cox
Jake Pope

True freshmen
Deonte Buford
Joshua Jones
John Young
probably 1 more

I believe Kinnard is a future NFL RT. We already know Jackson and Landon Young are all-conference type talents, although I believe the best days of their UK careers still lie ahead. Both could push for early round consideration in the 2021 NFL draft, although I am not buying current gossip that either will leave UK for the next draft as juniors.

The biggest overachiever on our OL has been Fortner, who has had a very solid season. Fortner has a great frame. With another offseason in the gym, Fortner should be even better in 2020.

Wilson, Horsey, Dotson, and Lewis are interesting players who have not yet had opportuniies for significant playing time. For some of them, that will begin to change in 2020. Horsey and Dotson should be in the spring competition to replace Logan Stenberg next season. Wilson, a high upside player from Cincinnati, is the heir-apparent for Jackson’s starting job in 2021. Lewis is a boom or bust type of LT prospect with a huge frame and very long arms.

John Young, who looks like a future LT starter, is the best OL verbal so far in our 2020 class. Joshua Jones, who holds LSU and UT offers, is the most underrated. Deondre Buford is a legitimate Power 5 talent with a big upside, but his future position on our OL (OT or OG) is not clear yet. One more commitment is probably coming, and RJ Adams is the first prospect to watch. If Adams signs with UK, he could work his way into the August competition to replace Stenberg at LG.

Last edited:
UK’s OL is one of the best in the country. I appreciated the comments from the UL DL after the game. They were respectful of the UK OL, very classy in defeat
I missed that but it is good to hear it. Rivalry or not it is always good to hear acknowledgement that "we got whupped" if that is indeed the way the game played out. Accepting that makes "getting better" a more defined task at both the coaching and player level.

On the coaching point, for what little it is worth, I think (I hope) CSS learned the game at the P5 level is a bit different than the game at the Sun Belt (edit) level. He helped establish a great football program at Appy State but, week in, week out the game is different in P5 play (even in a weak ACC). This also may well have been his first experience in a true rivalry game.

Peace

Last edited:
Reactions: jauk11
I've been impressed with the OL too but the guy who amazes me is Jackson. Numerous games in terrible weather and a nary bad or even poor snap. Just a terrific job.
That gets over looked. I don't remember a single bad snap all year.

Bill Curry played center for Green Bay in 1966 at
250 lb. Technique

Curry was never close to 250. Not sure he was even 200.

Pretty sure I heard Curry say he was 225 when he played in the NFL .

Yes whatever he weighed, it was about the same as his opponents. Drake is decidedly undersized

Drake is decidedly undersized
According to the official UK website, Drake Jackson is 6’2 313#. UK is usually pretty accurate these days about our football players’ heights and weights, so he is not undersized. He certainly doesn’t appear undersized now, although he did when he was a freshman.

According to the official UK website, Drake Jackson is 6’2 313#. UK is usually pretty accurate these days about our football players’ heights and weights, so he is not undersized. He certainly doesn’t appear undersized now, although he did when he was a freshman.

This is true. OC's are the smallest along the line. In general players get taller as they progress towards the OT's. If Drake's height/weight is correct, he's very much prototypical.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949460-br-nfl-1000-top-34-centers#slide34

If you see him in person you realize he's nowhere near that size. Looks nothing like the rest of our OL which are listed bear that size but way bigger than him.

Honestly, he looks a little more overweight this year to me. Like a bit more gut. Thought that about a few of our guys... that they didn't have good playing weight. Hasn't really hurt many of them though.

Curry was never close to 250. Not sure he was even 200.

I always thought he was listed at 220# at Green Bay, but then ALL the lineman were a lot smaller back then. Mo Moorman was considered a giant at UK at 255# (I didn't think he was that impressive here, but he was an All American at A&M after transferring there), now he would be too small to play in the OL..

Honestly, he looks a little more overweight this year to me. Like a bit more gut. Thought that about a few of our guys... that they didn't have good playing weight. Hasn't really hurt many of them though.

It isn't that unusual for some OL to have a little more "ballast", makes them harder to move.

I'm curious as to his actual size. He definitely isn't that big. Not close to his listed size. If you saw him on the street, you'd never think he was a high level player.

Kids technique must be off the charts

Standing near DJ as well as others on the OL was fascinating to see the differences in size...

Your observation and comment is spot on.

Go CATS!

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Don't know if he is NFL good, but he would/Will make a great coach some day.

I'm getting flooded on FB & Twitter with allot of individual videos and the like about diffrent players on the O-line. See it in real time as well as slow motion is just incredible.

As a former QB, I love it and can watch that stuff all day. Just amazing what Coach Stoops and Coach Schlarman have done with this part of our program.

I'm getting flooded on FB & Twitter with allot of individual videos and the like about diffrent players on the O-line. See it in real time as well as slow motion is just incredible.

As a former QB, I love it and can watch that stuff all day. Just amazing what Coach Stoops and Coach Schlarman have done with this part of our program.

Can you share some of those?

If you see him in person you realize he's nowhere near that size. Looks nothing like the rest of our OL which are listed bear that size but way bigger than him.
I have stood within 5-10 feet of Drake several times, and I don’t agree with you. Drake is not an undersized center, and his size is not misrepresented on UK’s website. The reason he doesn’t look like the rest of our starting OL is because we have an oversized OL and centers are almost always smaller than OGs and OTs.

Darian Kinnard is 6’5 and north of 340#. Landon Young is 6’6 325#. Logan Stenberg and Luke Fortner are also 6’6. So Drake is smaller by comparison to the other starters, but he is not undersized.

I have stood within 5-10 feet of Drake several times, and I don’t agree with you. Drake is not an undersized center, and his size is not misrepresented on UK’s website. The reason he doesn’t look like the rest of our starting OL is because we have an oversized OL and centers are almost always smaller than OGs and OTs.

Darian Kinnard is 6’5 and north of 340#. Landon Young is 6’6 325#. Logan Stenberg and Luke Fortner are also 6’6. So Drake is smaller by comparison to the other starters, but he is not undersized.

Stenberg is listed lighter than Drake. If you see them without pads, you realize how absurd that listing is. All our OL are monsters, except Drake.

That's not a knock on him. It's praise. Tells you how good his technique really is.

Stenberg is listed lighter than Drake. If you see them without pads, you realize how absurd that listing is. All our OL are monsters, except Drake.

That's not a knock on him. It's praise. Tells you how good his technique really is.
Not true. Stenberg is listed by UK at 6’6 322#. Drake Jackson is listed at 6’2 313#. That is a normal size for a Power 5 C. I have stood near both players multiple times. These heights and weights look accurate to me, especially when you see them standing near other UK players whose heights and weights are also listed on the UK website.

But I agree that Drake is one of the best interior offensive linemen in the SEC. And we haven’t seen his best yet. He is only a junior.

Not true. Stenberg is listed by UK at 6’6 322#. Drake Jackson is listed at 6’2 313#. That is a normal size for a Power 5 C. I have stood near both players multiple times. These heights and weights look accurate to me, especially when you see them standing near other UK players whose heights and weights are also listed on the UK website.

But I agree that Drake is one of the best interior offensive linemen in the SEC. And we haven’t seen his best yet. He is only a junior.

The listing I had was one at 324 and the other at 322. I don't know how anyone can see them out of pads side by side and think they're anywhere near the same mass. But I guess I'll just agree to disagree.

Glad we all agree he's a fantastic player and we're lucky to have him another year

The listing I had was one at 324 and the other at 322. I don't know how anyone can see them out of pads side by side and think they're anywhere near the same mass. But I guess I'll just agree to disagree.

Glad we all agree he's a fantastic player and we're lucky to have him another year
Look at the official UK website UKathletics.com for the football roster with heights and weights.

With regard to your subjective perceptions of the players, I don’t think this is a big deal. They weigh what they weigh. Everyone is proportioned a little differently, and active, well-conditioned athletes with lean body mass often appear less heavy than they really are. No worries.

I always thought he was listed at 220# at Green Bay, but then ALL the lineman were a lot smaller back then. Mo Moorman was considered a giant at UK at 255# (I didn't think he was that impressive here, but he was an All American at A&M after transferring there), now he would be too small to play in the OL..

It's all about frame size and can you carry it and still be athletic. Mo's frame is very large, pretty sure he could put on the weight and carry it. Look at Eric Wood who played at UofL. He played at 300+, I would say right now, he weighs about 250 or less.

BTW, Gene Stallings saved Mo's career.

ADVERTISEMENT