ADVERTISEMENT

The officiating was very clever tonight..

Read a lot of dumb stuff tonight, but this takes the cake. A free throw is a gift from the basketball gods. It's a chance to score without anyone stopping you. If players were smart, they would shoot 500 a day after practice. Most of the greatest ball players in history, padded their stats greatly at the line. Clearly most players today aren't smart. Fouling us should have sealed the victory for us, not the other way around. It wasn't some dastardly plan to steal the game. We just managed to find a way to screw that up. But we don't even practice free throws, so what do we expect.

It's funny because he's right and some are idiots to not see it.

You know what I was doing when they continued to call fouls on PJ? Expecting it.

I watched SGA get mugged all game. What happened to freedom of movement? It didn't exist in our game.

PJ is not a good free throw shooter. If you want UK to lose, which we all saw with Higgins that they do, you muck the game up. Well guess what? Someone has to go to the line when you do that. If you wanted UK to lose, who would you put there?

It's funny because he's right and some are idiots to not see it.

You know what I was doing when they continued to call fouls on PJ? Expecting it.

I watched SGA get mugged all game. What happened to freedom of movement? It didn't exist in our game.

PJ is not a good free throw shooter. If you want UK to lose, which we all saw with Higgins that they do, you muck the game up. Well guess what? Someone has to go to the line when you do that. If you wanted UK to lose, who would you put there?
So your theory is that the cheating refs, rather than not call fouls on the KSU players, they called a TON of fouls on them? Man, that's some diabolical stuff, how did they know it would work?

I'm curious - since you saw this sinister plot unfold from your couch - why Cal didn't see the same thing and adjust. Unless you're saying that maybe he was in on it with the refs?

I don't know, I'm all for conspiracies but this one seems like a stretch. Simpler seems more likely - PJ grew up a Cards fan and attended UK knowing that he would get a chance to throw this game.

Here is what the uninformed are missing:

The other players were being fouled (especially our PG), it just wasn’t being called in the second half.

When your PG can’t get into the lane, because he’s being bumped, when offensive fouls are being called on Knox, wiping points off the board, and your shots aren’t falling from the perimeter, then it’s only natural to feed the post and try to take advantage of the size advantage there.

It’s common sense. The OP, and everyone who agrees with at least some portion of his claim, understand that.

The problem, as the OP pointed out, is that PJ is the ONLY UK player who got sent to the line the last 18:50 of the game.

Now, go back and watch the tape, and count the number of times a K State player was awarded free throws for something other than being fouled in the offensive post during the second half.

Just off the top of my head, they were sent to the line at least twice on a defensive rebound (one which was a clear tie up, not a foul), and they were also sent to the line for falling out of bounds trying to save a loose ball.
That alone includes two times that not only was UK not rightfully awarded possession, but K State was erroneously awarded free throws instead.

But somehow, nobody for UK, other than Washington, gets to the line the last 18:50.

The fact that UK did not have one single free throw attempt awarded for something other than a PJ Washington post attempt/rebound during the last 18:50 of the game is probably a statistical anomaly - especially in a game with 51 fouls and 59 free throws.

The theory is a bit out there,but let's be real.How many really out there situations have we seen with UK and officials in the NCAA over the Cal years. UConn,UNC come to mind.How many other coaches would have gotten the T in the situation that Cal got that one on Thursday? Would K,Self,Roy or Izzo have been hit with one(if you think they would don't embarrass yourself by answering)

Whether it is the Higgins effect,the NCAA or something else the officials make it more difficult for UK to win NCAAT games than other teams.

Here is what the uninformed are missing:

The other players were being fouled (especially our PG), it just wasn’t being called in the second half.

When your PG can’t get into the lane, because he’s being bumped, when offensive fouls are being called on Knox, wiping points off the board, and your shots aren’t falling from the perimeter, then it’s only natural to feed the post and try to take advantage of the size advantage there.

It’s common sense. The OP, and everyone who agrees with at least some portion of his claim, understand that.

The problem, as the OP pointed out, is that PJ is the ONLY UK player who got sent to the line the last 18:50 of the game.

Now, go back and watch the tape, and count the number of times a K State player was awarded free throws for something other than being fouled in the offensive post during the second half.

Just off the top of my head, they were sent to the line at least twice on a defensive rebound (one which was a clear tie up, not a foul), and they were also sent to the line for falling out of bounds trying to save a loose ball.
That alone includes two times that not only was UK not rightfully awarded possession, but K State was erroneously awarded free throws instead.

But somehow, nobody for UK, other than Washington, gets to the line the last 18:50.

The fact that UK did not have one single free throw attempt awarded for something other than a PJ Washington post attempt/rebound during the last 18:50 of the game is probably a statistical anomaly - especially in a game with 51 fouls and 59 free throws.

I went back and checked every box score this season. There was never another game where only one Kentucky player took all the free throw attempts over the last 18:50 of the game.

That’s a big enough sample size to call this an outlier. Too bad we got our outlier in the last game of the season, and too bad P.J. missed so many.

I went back and checked every box score this season. There was never another game where only one Kentucky player took all the free throw attempts over the last 18:50 of the game.

That’s a big enough sample size to call this an outlier. Too bad we got our outlier in the last game of the season, and too bad P.J. missed so many.
I wonder what would have happened if he had started making them in the last 4 or 5 minutes.Thinking back on watching him at the line it was clear from his body language that he had 0 confidence and his facial expression looked like he would rather be on a deserted island full of poisonous snakes than on the free throw line.

Read a lot of dumb stuff tonight, but this takes the cake. A free throw is a gift from the basketball gods. It's a chance to score without anyone stopping you. If players were smart, they would shoot 500 a day after practice. Most of the greatest ball players in history, padded their stats greatly at the line. Clearly most players today aren't smart. Fouling us should have sealed the victory for us, not the other way around. It wasn't some dastardly plan to steal the game. We just managed to find a way to screw that up. But we don't even practice free throws, so what do we expect.

2010 vs WVU, missed 13 for 55%
2014 vs UCONN, missed 11 for 54%
2018 vs KSU, missed 14 for 62%

At least 1 if not 2 more F4s and a NC couldve been had if we hadnt absolutely chit the bed from the FT. line.

Other factors involved obviously, but the margin for error is too small in the tourney to give up all those freebies.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
So if you would have gotten one less bad call and won the game you would have been sent home by 11th seed Loyola. At least this way you lost to a 9th seed.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
ADVERTISEMENT