ADVERTISEMENT

The officiating was very clever tonight..

Says the UL troll. Priceless.
Lol UL troll? I've never cheered for UL in anything ever. Turns out this subject isn't the only thing you're clueless about.

KSU lost 3 players to fouling out and lost their all Big-12 player for the last 30 minutes to injury. The Cats just lost last night man. There's probably a lot of reasons you can point to, but this one you've decided to lean on is one of the most absurd things I (and apparently a majority of other posters here) have ever read.

Reactions: QuasarCat
Lol, you are INSANE! You are complaining about a guy shooting TOO MANY free throws. Guess what, ANY coach in America would kill to have a guaranty that any one of their guys would shoot 20 free throws, while fouling out three of the team’s starters and overall best player along the way. Because 99% of the time that would mean victory! But nooo...you’ve worked out the math and somehow come to the most asinine conclusion that the refs, in their infinite wisdom and hate of UK, determined that the best strategy to ensure Cal’s demise was to give their hated enemy an innumerable amount of free scoring opportunities??

Lol, yes you are an idiot and need medication. I say that last part seriously. If you truly believe what you’ve said, and aren’t just screwing with us, then you genuinely have some issues.

This pretty much says it as well as it can be said.

Not that I noticed but I believe someone else in this thread said that Knox also drew a foul but PJ was shooting the free throws for that foul. I don't know when that one happened. PJ shot so many down the stretch, I must have just not picked it up.

And Cal missed this/allowed this why? Is he in on it?

I really think it's just luck. We lucked out into the weak region and we lucked out on having this free throw issue last night.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
When was the last time a UK player shot TWENTY free throws in one game ? PJ Washington got the Yante Maten treatment tonight..but only after it was apparent that he was a mess at the free throw line. Everybody in the building knew he was going to keep missing free throws. It was written all over him. And the refs knew it. PJ has been getting beat up and put to the ground and such all season..he never came close to shooting 20..TWENTY free throws in a single game. I said in a thread earlier tonight that there was a play that I could have swore that SGA drew the foul on and should have been shooting free throws..it comes back from commercial/the TV timeout and PJ is back on the line shooting for that foul.

When he was like 4/10 is when it started. He turned a couple of them into and 1s..I don't think the refs anticipated for those to happen. He also was the one shooting on the majority of our 1 and 1s. Very odd and strange and fishy that one guy shot over half of UK's free throws..oh and he just so happened to be struggling badly from the line that same night. Hmmm..very odd indeed. Say what you want, but it was fishy as all hell.

Did you ever think that the reason the reason Washington was fouled so much was because he works his butt off fighting to rebound missed shots by other players? Sure Washington should have made more Free Throws but without all his 15 rebounds and the K-state players he fouled out UK loses by double digits.

PJ's agression is why he kept going to the line.

However, there were several slaps and bumps on Quade and SGA that didn't get called.

The Diarea guy also help Knox the whole night and was never called.

That kind of forced us to go to PJ and K St made him earn it because they could stop him.

I'm not sure it was a conspiracy, just bad refs. The last foul on the big man, he hit PJ 4 times before the finally called the last one. The lack of other calls led to PJ getting to the line so much.

Instead of blaming refs for calling fouls, why not blame PJ for missing the free throws. I mean if he goes 12-20 instead of 8-20, UK wins the game. Nobody likes blaming players but missing that many free throws is just hard to swallow.

*Here, dumbass..don't delete your garbage troll post because you don't know the difference between "here" and "hear", UL scumbag.
Haha, I deleted it because I started a post to respond to you, got distracted, came back and hit a reply to another post, and didn’t realize it included both responses together. I honestly deleted my post to you because I was genuinely trying to not be mean as I stated I felt you really did need medication.

See, there is an explanation. No posting conspiracy. Not everything is black helicopters and tin foil hats.

Haha, I deleted it because I started a post to respond to you, got distracted, came back and hit a reply to another post, and didn’t realize it included both responses together. I honestly deleted my post to you because I was genuinely trying to not be mean as I stated I felt you really did need medication.

See, there is an explanation. No posting conspiracy. Not everything is black helicopters and tin foil hats.

Well, good for you but there are trolls in this thread..obvious trolls..and some are UL trolls..but I'm not a troll or in need of "medication" or whatever. Take that some place else.

Last edited:
Well, good for you but there are trolls in this thread..obvious trolls..and some are UL trolls..but I'm not a troll or in need of "medication" or whatever. Take that some place else.

I believe you may have some genuine paranoia issues.

The refs are all out to get UK (apparently even when they're giving UK most of the calls and fouling out the other team's best players).

And the "trolls" are all out to get you.

Instead of blaming refs for calling fouls, why not blame PJ for missing the free throws. I mean if he goes 12-20 instead of 8-20, UK wins the game. Nobody likes blaming players but missing that many free throws is just hard to swallow.

The premise of the OP is that if PJ had been making his free throws, he wouldn’t have gotten to the line as much.

It might seem irrational, if things like this didn’t happen so often in basketball.

It is more likely that the refs such as Jamie Luckie are just terrible referees than they are out to get UK. I think UK is 21-9 with Luckie as a ref and he has called 3 technical on UK guys or coaches since Cal has been here including one in 2012 when an opposing player cursed and he thought it was Terrence Jones and called a technical on Jones.

A honest question to all.
Does this thread have any affect on UK fans being the most knowledgeable Fan base in college bball?
I think not , as it appears 98% thinks the op is insipid

Okay..even if you or you guys ignore everything I said, it's still not normal (Or even near it) to have 50+ fouls called in a game. A forty minute game. Over 50 fouls called. The refs called this game the exact opposite of how they called the Loyola Chicago/Nevada game. A mucked up, sloppy foul/whistle fest of a game. No rhythm, no flow..lots of stoppages..hard to go on a big run..perfect for the undersized, outmanned team and a nightmare for the more explosive, more talented, bigger and younger team. You guys need to wake up and smell the coffee. No offense.
Not the same refs. Each group calls the game differently. It's up to the teams to adjust to how tight or lose the game is being called. I take it that you have never officiated a game. Try it sometime.

Reactions: jimmy5-11
A honest question to all.
Does this thread have any affect on UK fans being the most knowledgeable Fan base in college bball?
I think not , as it appears 98% thinks the op is insipid

Idk, but the funny thing is, in my original post, all I said was that it was fishy that our worst free throw shooter who was struggling from the line bad last night shot twenty free throws..and was getting fouls called for him that he hasn't gotten called for him consistently all year, down the stretch. And it is. And for people to act like this type of shit could never happen in sports especially in basketball is ridiculous. Especially when it comes to college basketball. But it's whatever, man.

Last edited:
Not the same refs. Each group calls the game differently. It's up to the teams to adjust to how tight or lose the game is being called. I take it that you have never officiated a game. Try it sometime.

Hell no, I haven't..lol. But I'm glad you corrected that..I just assumed..and I assumed wrong. My bad.

Reactions: UKUGA
UK shoots fewer free throws than other team - "Refs screwed us by calling too many fouls on us"
UK shoots the same number of free throws as other team - "Refs screwed us by selectively calling bad fouls on us or missing calls on other team at inopportune times"
UK shoots more free throws than other team - "Refs screwed us by calling too many fouls in favor of our mediocre free throw shooter who shot much worse than he normally does from line"

While aided by the refs?! You're a ****ing lunatic. UK don't even get home cooking at HOME. Terrible post. GTFOH.

Opponents @ Rupp avg 21.3 fouls/game UK @ Rupp avg 18 fouls/game
SEC Opp @ Rupp avg 22 fouls/game UK @ Rupp vs SEC avg 18 fouls

Oppents @ rupp avg 17.8 ft/game Uk @ Rupp avg 26.5 ft/game
SEC Opp @ Rupp avg. 19.4 ft/game UK @ Rupp vs SEC avg 28.5 ft

FT att. really stand out. Not to make a big deal bc all fouls are different but UK almosy avg 10 more freebies per game at Rupp.

I mean surely you can say UK has a slight advantage at home even if you don't buy the numbers right?

Opponents @ Rupp avg 21.3 fouls/game UK @ Rupp avg 18 fouls/game
SEC Opp @ Rupp avg 22 fouls/game UK @ Rupp vs SEC avg 18 fouls

Oppents @ rupp avg 17.8 ft/game Uk @ Rupp avg 26.5 ft/game
SEC Opp @ Rupp avg. 19.4 ft/game UK @ Rupp vs SEC avg 28.5 ft

FT att. really stand out. Not to make a big deal bc all fouls are different but UK almosy avg 10 more freebies per game at Rupp.

I mean surely you can say UK has a slight advantage at home even if you don't buy the numbers right?
How far back do these numbers go?

When was the last time a UK player shot TWENTY free throws in one game ? PJ Washington got the Yante Maten treatment tonight..but only after it was apparent that he was a mess at the free throw line. Everybody in the building knew he was going to keep missing free throws. It was written all over him. And the refs knew it. PJ has been getting beat up and put to the ground and such all season..he never came close to shooting 20..TWENTY free throws in a single game. I said in a thread earlier tonight that there was a play that I could have swore that SGA drew the foul on and should have been shooting free throws..it comes back from commercial/the TV timeout and PJ is back on the line shooting for that foul.

When he was like 4/10 is when it started. He turned a couple of them into and 1s..I don't think the refs anticipated for those to happen. He also was the one shooting on the majority of our 1 and 1s. Very odd and strange and fishy that one guy shot over half of UK's free throws..oh and he just so happened to be struggling badly from the line that same night. Hmmm..very odd indeed. Say what you want, but it was fishy as all hell.
He will be shooting a lot of free throws in his career. He goes strong to the basket, it would behoove him, and us, to learn to shoot them better

Speaking of fouls, when the guy scored on the last play, he hooked SGA. and it was not called. they also got away with a lot of warding off the defensive player with the free hand while dribbling.

You stay up all night ranting about how the refs were trying to screw UK... by fouling out the other team and awarding UK a ton of free throws.

It's gotta be Meth. Should we start a GoFundMe to pay for the OP's rehab? He has clearly fried his brain.

K State was hacking PJ fairly deliberately toward the end of the game. They gambled that even if their guys fouled out PJ would keep missing at even if he made a few then UK was not hitting threes and getting separation. They got fairly desperate there when their offense got bogged down and UK's talent started to overwhelm them. It was a risky move by Bruce Weber but it worked.

HOWEVER - You tell me how Kevin Knox gets mugged for 36 minutes and takes two free throws. How Hami Diallo gets sandwiched between two guys going for a rebound and he gets the foul. How K State gets 3 seconds with a held ball and is given the timeout when UK had the possession arrow, but UK gets the held ball called immediately when K State had the arrow. In a 3 point game all of those calls were critical. The refs knew what they were doing and controlled that game from start to finish.

It's posts like these why fans of other schools dislike UK fans. I get that not all fans are like this, but this site has some of the most delusional people I have ever seen. Props to some of you for calling him out, but if you look at the general theme of the entire site, there is a pattern of paranoia and conspiracy.

Here are the facts: UK had the easiest road to the final four based on the seeds that were eliminated in prior games. This is no fault of UK; they play who is in front of them. The game was in Atlanta. Dean played 10 minutes in the first half. K-State was playing five guards at the end of the game against a much taller team. K-State was called for more fouls. UK shot more free throws. K-State had three players foul out (UK had one) including their leading scorer

But yet, it was the fault of the referees for intentionally sending the same guy to the line because they picked up on the pattern of him missing a lot of free throws. Every site has its share of nuts, but this place is a train wreck and that is why other schools come over to watch the carnage

Edit; just read another nice one about how it is the media's fault because they said K-State was the worst team left, essentially implying that it was a conspiracy by the media for K-State to be overlooked by UK and give K-State the victory. Seriously guys, I couldn't make stuff like this up

K State was hacking PJ fairly deliberately toward the end of the game. They gambled that even if their guys fouled out PJ would keep missing at even if he made a few then UK was not hitting threes and getting separation. They got fairly desperate there when their offense got bogged down and UK's talent started to overwhelm them. It was a risky move by Bruce Weber but it worked.

HOWEVER - You tell me how Kevin Knox gets mugged for 36 minutes and takes two free throws. How Hami Diallo gets sandwiched between two guys going for a rebound and he gets the foul. How K State gets 3 seconds with a held ball and is given the timeout when UK had the possession arrow, but UK gets the held ball called immediately when K State had the arrow. In a 3 point game all of those calls were critical. The refs knew what they were doing and controlled that game from start to finish.

K State had 3 - "walk 94 feet and shoot Free Throw" opportunities last night.

Pretty sure Kentucky had zero.

I'd like to see the ratio for the season.

This is one of the primary ways refs control basketball games. Giving teams the opportunity to score without even having to run any type of offense.

My perspective, kstate was mugging Ky all night, and that's why they got so many fouls called on them...but the stripes didn't want to get criticized for a major foul differential so they were calling cheap fouls on UK all night to even it up, to try avoid the big foul discrepancy. Stripes did not call it even on both ends of the floor. Same old NCAA screw job.

Speaking of fouls, when the guy scored on the last play, he hooked SGA. and it was not called. they also got away with a lot of warding off the defensive player with the free hand while dribbling.
Like holding in football, fouls in basketball could be called on every possession. To complain about a no call and not acknowledge we were also the recipients of no calls taste of sour grapes. There was a sequence near the end where PJ I think was under the basket was technically fouled on his first shot attempt that was blocked/missed, got the rebound and put it in for an and-1. Had that first foul been called we would have lost that basket and the way PJ was shooting FTs gotten 0-1 pts from the play. As it was called we got 2... I don't recall if he made the FT or not.

I will be the first to admit that the game was horribly officiated...but that went both ways. There were 51 fouls called in the game and 30 of those were against KSU. The refs didn't lose that game, UK did. UK got out played as this team did what it did all year when it just didn't show up for some games.
Tip your hat to KSU and go on.

Like holding in football, fouls in basketball could be called on every possession. To complain about a no call and not acknowledge we were also the recipients of no calls taste of sour grapes. There was a sequence near the end where PJ I think was under the basket was technically fouled on his first shot attempt that was blocked/missed, got the rebound and put it in for an and-1. Had that first foul been called we would have lost that basket and the way PJ was shooting FTs gotten 0-1 pts from the play. As it was called we got 2... I don't recall if he made the FT or not.

I will be the first to admit that the game was horribly officiated...but that went both ways. There were 51 fouls called in the game and 30 of those were against KSU. The refs didn't lose that game, UK did. UK got out played as this team did what it did all year when it just didn't show up for some games.

And if he hadn't gotten the rebound, then we would have just lost possession with a no-call on the first miss.

We're giving the officials credit for being "half-right".

But you are correct, we came away 1 point better on that trip down the floor, because they initially missed the foul that likely would have resulted in 1-2.

Haha..AGAIN, a UK player hadn't shot 20 free throws in an NCAA Tournament game since 1961..nearly 60 years ago and only once has a UK player shot 19 free throws in one NCAA Tournament game since then (Rodrick Rhodes in 1994..nearly 25 years ago) but I'm the "idiot" ? Haha, buddy...riiiiiiiight. Whatever helps you sleep better at night.
What you are missing is that the referees called 30 fouls on Kansas State, a huge number which should have handed the game to UK. 3 Kansas State players fouled out of the game, but no UK players fouled out. Believe it or not, referees don’t know ahead of time whether a player is going to hit a free throw. Anyway you want to slice it, the foul disparity should have given this game to UK. We lost because we played poorly. 15 turnovers and a bunch of fatal mental mistakes. Blaming it on the referees is ignorant.

What you are missing is that the referees called 30 fouls on Kansas State, a huge number which should have handed the game to UK. 3 Kansas State players fouled out of the game, but no UK players fouled out. Believe it or not, referees don’t know whether a player is going to hit a free throw. Any way you want to slice it, the foul disparity should have given the game to UK. We lost because we played poorly. Blaming it on the referees is ignorant.

What you may be missing is that the referees could have called 40+ fouls on KSU, and could rationally have called only about 15 on UK.

And the idea of refs putting big men (or any player) who can't shoot free throws on the foul line is not new. It's been going on for decades.

If the refs had wanted, they could have called fouls on the perimeter, which would have put our guards on the line. They were certainly there to be called (just see all the away from the ball and rebounding fouls called on UK).

I appreciate the OP bringing up a view like this, knowing that it will subject him to personal attacks from the self-righteous.

What you may be missing is that the referees could have called 40+ fouls on KSU, and could rationally have called only about 15 on UK.

And the idea of refs putting big men (or any player) who can't shoot free throws on the foul line is not new. It's been going on for decades.

If the refs had wanted, they could have called fouls on the perimeter, which would have put our guards on the line. They were certainly there to be called (just see all the away from the ball and rebounding fouls called on UK).

I appreciate the OP bringing up a view like this, knowing that it will subject him to personal attacks from the self-righteous.
So, with 3 Kansas State players fouled out of the game, we were in a position where we almost couldn’t lose it unless we blew it. And, in fact, we did blow it by committing 15 turnovers, poor execution and mental mistakes down the stretch, and we let their guard drive the lane to the basket for the winning layup. But even though you have probably never seen 30 fouls called against 1 team in a single game before, you think the referees should have called 40 fouls against Kansas State. What on earth are you talking about, bro?

What you are missing is that the referees called 30 fouls on Kansas State, a huge number which should have handed the game to UK. 3 Kansas State players fouled out of the game, but no UK players fouled out. Believe it or not, referees don’t know ahead of time whether a player is going to hit a free throw. Anyway you want to slice it, the foul disparity should have given this game to UK. We lost because we played poorly. 15 turnovers and a bunch of fatal mental mistakes. Blaming it on the referees is ignorant.

I really don't care what you think or don't think is "ignorant" but I will say this..I appreciate a decent reply. So, thank you.

So, with 3 Kansas State players fouled out of the game, we were in a position where we almost couldn’t lose it unless we blew it. And, in fact, we did blow it by committing 15 turnovers, poor execution and mental mistakes down the stretch, and we let their guard drive the lane to the basket for the winning layup. But even though you have probably never seen 30 fouls called against 1 team in a single game before, you think the referees should have called 40 fouls against Kansas State. What on earth are you talking about, bro?

It's pretty simple, dude.

They didn't call all the fouls on K-State they could, and they called a lot on us they didn't have to. The 30 would have been more than enough, if they had simply had ours down around the 15-17 they probably should have been.

I don't think anyone on here thinks we played well last night. That we shot well, or that we didn't commit bad turnovers.

But, K-State hacked and grabbed, and the refs did a nice job of calling clever fouls on UK away from the ball, on rebounds, etc. that helped to even things out. (Because, you know, if UK wins with a 30-15 foul discrepancy, there would have been an uproar - kind of like when our players didn't shake their hands, because they were busy shaking the coaches' hands).

But the OP brings up an excellent point, that even with all the fouls that were being called, and even with all the K-State players fouling out, we keep sending a guy to the line who is shaky and shot 67% on the year.

This while we have multiple guards who shoot extremely well from the line (in fact, the rest of the team was 15-17).

It's hard for me to fathom that John Calipari doesn't know that once you are in the bonus, you do what you can to get your guards to the FT line.

It's also not hard for me to believe that the refs know that if they put a 67% FT shooting big man on the line a bunch, it's more likely that he will miss than putting an 80% FT shooting guard on the line a bunch.

And the refs also know (perhaps because they are familiar with message board trolls) that enough people will simply look at foul and free throw totals, and ignore any relevant context, because frankly, most people don't have the time, energy, or enthusiasm to dig in, and most of this will fade from people's memories. But the all-telling box score will always be there, to support the theory that a fair game was called.

Most of the fouls called was PJ attempting to shoot a shot so if they had not called a foul those would simply be missed shots

I know the OP can speak for himself, but the point is also that there could have been other fouls that were missed earlier in the possession that would have resulted in free throws for other players.

And, there may have been possessions that didn't result in points, in which another player was fouled, but it wasn't called.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT