ADVERTISEMENT

The NBA Sucks

Our everything is superior to Memphis. I wouldnt even know where to start, just think of anything, that anything is superior at UK.

Nick Saban doesnt win multiple national titles at Vanderbilt or Kentucky, Alabama's tradition, facilities, infrastructure, and commitment to football is vastly superior, same applies to Kentucky basketball.

But you're talking about the past. You think what's in Kentucky's history somehow makes the team on the court today better. Sure, we have some better facilities, maybe some better staff than many other schools (but very much so the same as Kansas unc etc).

Cal is the one doing the work. Not the program. Duke's history isn't why they are good today. They are good because of Coach K.. And cheating.

Cal was about to amass a real super team at Memphis and walked to a #1 seed in 2009.. Wall, Cousins and Xhenry.. I.believe Bledsoe as well. He did that with Memphis being such an inferior place. If we didn't have an opening Cal was going to take another step forward at another program..

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Dont even really like Green, but youre making my point. Fans see what they want they want. And Ill reiterate, Im a Cousins guy, but I can take off the blue shades as well.

Cousins is usually reactionary. His problem is he doesn’t respond well. Green is a dirty player who instigates the issue. Come on runner, let’s not pretend they’re the same.

If you’ve been a Golden State fan longer than my little cousin who started wearing JCPenny Warriors shirts in 2016, I commend you.

You're scaring me a bit. Were you also trying to compare Cousins to Green last week?

I'll reiterate.. those two aren;t even in the same solar system. You can defend Green all you want. You can play the self-aware card, but you clearly aren't if you think Cousins is the same type of "person" Green is.

No, my position is always that I couldnt care less about what kind of "person" these guys are. And I could honestly do without Green, especially his stunts.

Its just comical to me the chit Green gets around here when a blind eye is turned to some of the same antics that our own guys do. Has nothing to do with self awareness or defending Green. Just be consistent.

If Green played for Houston, youd get it...doesnt mean you have your head in the sand about his bs.

Hey, btw, what does Green, Paul, and Cousins all have in common? Nut shots on opposing players.

No, my position is always that I couldnt care less about what kind of "person" these guys are. And I could honestly do without Green, especially his stunts.

Its just comical to me the chit Green gets around here when a blind eye is turned to some of the same antics that our own guys do. Has nothing to do with self awareness or defending Green. Just be consistent.

If Green played for Houston, youd get it...doesnt mean you have your head in the sand about his bs.

Hey, btw, what does Green, Paul, and Cousins all have in common? Nut shots on opposing players.

I've freely admitted that Chris Paul is the next in line.. But he's like that even to his team.. He's got Tha makings of a 55-year old man in his front porch yelling at kids.

But.. He doesn't run his mouth like Green.. He holds his team to high standards which I don't see Green do. Chris Paul would never be mistaken for a "punk".

With cousins.. I think it was a maturity thing. He's come a loooong way. I would imagine his ranking in least likeable/dirty player has dropped quite a bit.

But you're talking about the past. You think what's in Kentucky's history somehow makes the team on the court today better. Sure, we have some better facilities, maybe some better staff than many other schools (but very much so the same as Kansas unc etc).

Cal is the one doing the work. Not the program. Duke's history isn't why they are good today. They are good because of Coach K.. And cheating.

Cal was about to amass a real super team at Memphis and walked to a #1 seed in 2009.. Wall, Cousins and Xhenry.. I.believe Bledsoe as well. He did that with Memphis being such an inferior place. If we didn't have an opening Cal was going to take another step forward at another program..

There’s no way Cal could have sustained that at Memphis. It was a special situation.

No other coach had embraced the players ability to leave when he wanted and actually encouraged it. Wall, Cousins, etc had very little options. Roy was not going to even recruit Wall because he was a OAD at the time. He wanted him to commit for multiple years. Cousins was a bullhorn and Cal was simply the perfect fit. Rose was brought in to a team of upperclassman. It’s not so cut and dry.

Not to mention, neither cousins nor Wall committed to Memphis. Who knows in reality although I believe they both would have played there.

No chance Cal would have been taking AD to Memphis. Brandon Knight probably would have gone to Florida. It would have changed a lot of things. No way he pulls the same classes at Memphis that he does at UK.

Also not to mention, Memphis didn’t even have A plane for Cal, in the age of big shoe money and competitive competition for OAD’s today, Memphis wouldn’t have performed to this point. No way.

I agree with most of what you’ve said but we’ll split on that one. Memphis has weak compliance and Cal owned them. If he thought he could have built a power there he would have stayed and had the same money and less headache.

Pitino proved the program means a lot.

The NBA is entertainment; these players are paid to ENTERTAIN. So the Warriors provide great entertainment, as does Lebron. Houston, Boston, Toronto are cute little side stories. Most people enjoy 128-120 games with 500 three point shots. The NBA is the most predictable of all sports. Cleveland and Golden State round four.

The whole legacy tarnished thing is funny . At the end of the day your legacy is just for debate purposes.

Would his legacy be any better had he stayed in OKc and never won a title ?

True probably not. But he would have still had the chance to carve his own legacy without joining a juggernaut. He has no shot at that now. Is what it is, he was probably going to end up in the same place anyway which might be your point.

The whole legacy tarnished thing is funny . At the end of the day your legacy is just for debate purposes.

Would his legacy be any better had he stayed in OKc and never won a title ?

Ask Kyrie about legacy. If Durant didn't like what people had to say he wouldn't have made a fake account on Twitter..

Legacy does matter. What fans think matters. Durant doesn't like to hear this stuff.. And i wouldn't be surprised if he eventually moves on. I think he just needed that title and I bet he wants to try and win another title elsewhere at some point. Or maybe not. But he most certainly cares about his legacy.

Cousins is usually reactionary. His problem is he doesn’t respond well. Green is a dirty player who instigates the issue. Come on runner, let’s not pretend they’re the same.

If you’ve been a Golden State fan longer than my little cousin who started wearing JCPenny Warriors shirts in 2016, I commend you.

Not pretending anything. Greens bs gets old, but hes a helluva a player. Same with Cousins...as a fan of both, I admit it. I have no reason to go after or defend one and not the other.

I latched on roughly 12 yrs ago when I moved out here. Loved run TMC back in the day as a kiddo, attend a couple games a year now, coach in Junior Warriors leagues, do the camps w my son, etc. I get the bandwagonner label around here but prob have more of a claim than the Houston, Laker, Cavs, etc fans living in Pikeville to Paducah.

True probably not. But he would have still had the chance to carve his own legacy without joining a juggernaut. He has no shot at that now. Is what it is, he was probably going to end up in the same place anyway which might be your point.
I just feel like legacy talk is all a matter of opinion . If I was a player I don’t think I would care too much if people didn’t respect my title .

I do agree with you that winning a title in OKC or Boston would have made people respect his championship ring more though but should he care about that at the end of the day ?

Reactions: morgousky
There’s no way Cal could have sustained that at Memphis. It was a special situation.

No other coach had embraced the players ability to leave when he wanted and actually encouraged it. Wall, Cousins, etc had very little options. Roy was not going to even recruit Wall because he was a OAD at the time. He wanted him to commit for multiple years. Cousins was a bullhorn and Cal was simply the perfect fit. Rose was brought in to a team of upperclassman. It’s not so cut and dry.

Not to mention, neither cousins nor Wall committed to Memphis. Who knows in reality although I believe they both would have played there.

No chance Cal would have been taking AD to Memphis. Brandon Knight probably would have gone to Florida. It would have changed a lot of things. No way he pulls the same classes at Memphis that he does at UK.

Also not to mention, Memphis didn’t even have A plane for Cal, in the age of big shoe money and competitive competition for OAD’s today, Memphis wouldn’t have performed to this point. No way.

I agree with most of what you’ve said but we’ll split on that one. Memphis has weak compliance and Cal owned them. If he thought he could have built a power there he would have stayed and had the same money and less headache.

Pitino proved the program means a lot.

I think there's SOME benefits to having Kentucky's legacy. Iirc it was pretty well known who was going to Memphis before he came to UK. He was starting to pick up steam. He was embracing the 1AD.

Its hard to rewrite history.

But Cal did not need Kentucky like KD needed GSW. If for nothing else than Cal can build a team.. KD only affects himself (more or less). It's just a crazy statement.

Ask Kyrie about legacy. If Durant didn't like what people had to say he wouldn't have made a fake account on Twitter..

Legacy does matter. What fans think matters. Durant doesn't like to hear this stuff.. And i wouldn't be surprised if he eventually moves on. I think he just needed that title and I bet he wants to try and win another title elsewhere at some point. Or maybe not. But he most certainly cares about his legacy.
I didn’t say Durant didn’t care. I said I wouldn’t care and he KD didn’t care enough to not sign with GS. He knew what kind of reaction this would draw

I've freely admitted that Chris Paul is the next in line.. But he's like that even to his team.. He's got Tha makings of a 55-year old man in his front porch yelling at kids.

But.. He doesn't run his mouth like Green.. He holds his team to high standards which I don't see Green do. Chris Paul would never be mistaken for a "punk".

With cousins.. I think it was a maturity thing. He's come a loooong way. I would imagine his ranking in least likeable/dirty player has dropped quite a bit.

Maybe we can agree that most of these guys are likely POS and wouldnt piss on you if you were on fire. Night in and night in the league theres thug behavior, flopping, techs, whining, etc...the best teams and players are always going to get noticed more.

Last edited:
Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I, too, like to watch things and then bitch about how boring it is while seemingly being held at gun point from turning the channel.
:eyes::gun:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

[laughing]

Not pretending anything. Greens bs gets old, but hes a helluva a player. Same with Cousins...as a fan of both, I admit it. I have no reason to go after or defend one and not the other.

I latched on roughly 12 yrs ago when I moved out here. Loved run TMC back in the day as a kiddo, attend a couple games a year now, coach in Junior Warriors leagues, do the camps w my son, etc. I get the bandwagonner label around here but prob have more of a claim than the Houston, Laker, Cavs, etc fans living in Pikeville to Paducah.

nah if you live there and go to games / support the team (even before they were winning big) then you're legitimate. You just got lucky I suppose.

I grew up being a Celtics fan mainly because Bird was one of my favorites (even though I was too young to remember him much) and Pitino + all of the Kentucky players. I kept up with them and still like them, but I hate the Red Sox so much it makes it hard to root for them. I might be moving to Hattiesburg and if I do I'll bring the kids up Pelicans I guess (hate the name). Ridiculous name.

The NBA is a hard subject as far as my fandom. I was mainly raised UK and Stl baseball so, that's kind of my only die hard teams. The NFL is different. If the Cardinals were still in STL for football it would definitely be my team. Since that is all gone now I just hope the Patriots win, but honestly I'm not a bandwagon fan. I rooted for the Pats growing up because I loved Drew Bledsoe. I actually hated Brady in the beginning because he took his job while Blesdoe was recovering. Guess that makes me real.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
I didn’t say Durant didn’t care. I said I wouldn’t care and he KD didn’t care enough to not sign with GS. He knew what kind of reaction this would draw

Ehh.. Im not sure even he knew the amount of shit he would get. I actually think it's TOO much. The haters have gone a bit too far. But it wasn't a good look. It's hard to hear Durant bemoan super teams.. And then join the one he couldn't beat.. A historic one.. For less money. It's clear: he was chasing a title.

Is what I said really untrue?

You took the L because what can you REALLY say about Houston aside from Chris Paul's past? Oh, a bunch of guys that work for it? A lot of players who do well and keep playing? Ones who don't need to dance after having a horrible start to the playoffs? Or players who don't truck the opposition and SOMEHOW it's a technical on PJ Tucker?

Houston doesn't give you ammo like GSW does. The Warriors do themselves no favors. They aren't hated SOLELY because they are good..
Eh I’m a Houston fan also but can we really bring up dancing ? Harden did the cooking dance for a full season and he has had other celebrations

Reactions: BlueRunner11
I think there's SOME benefits to having Kentucky's legacy. Iirc it was pretty well known who was going to Memphis before he came to UK. He was starting to pick up steam. He was embracing the 1AD.

Its hard to rewrite history.

But Cal did not need Kentucky like KD needed GSW. If for nothing else than Cal can build a team.. KD only affects himself (more or less). It's just a crazy statement.

I guess I just really don't like the comparison because without UK Cal would have had a hard time selling his brand when just 2/3 years later Kansas, Duke, and many others started recruiting similar, with no strings attached. Cal was hot and first, but he was not pulling the AD's and Randle's to Memphis. I just don't believe it. Eventually Memphis would have caught up with Cal. He would have recruited well and won, but I doubt anything close to what he's done at UK. I don't believe AD, Bledsoe, Jones, Knight, Randle, and several others would have ever wore a Memphis jersey.

Even UNC wants in the OAD pool today, he just couldn't recruit to Memphis against those resources. In 2008 he was alone. Alabama and UAB were finalist for Cousins, Wall was rejected by Roy (wouldnt have gotten him anyway), it was a different time.

Reactions: Wildcatfan2381
nah if you live there and go to games / support the team (even before they were winning big) then you're legitimate. You just got lucky I suppose.

I grew up being a Celtics fan mainly because Bird was one of my favorites (even though I was too young to remember him much) and Pitino + all of the Kentucky players. I kept up with them and still like them, but I hate the Red Sox so much it makes it hard to root for them. I might be moving to Hattiesburg and if I do I'll bring the kids up Pelicans I guess (hate the name). Ridiculous name.

The NBA is a hard subject as far as my fandom. I was mainly raised UK and Stl baseball so, that's kind of my only die hard teams. The NFL is different. If the Cardinals were still in STL for football it would definitely be my team. Since that is all gone now I just hope the Patriots win, but honestly I'm not a bandwagon fan. I rooted for the Pats growing up because I loved Drew Bledsoe. I actually hated Brady in the beginning because he took his job while Blesdoe was recovering. Guess that makes me real.

Pelicans have a shot of having a very bright future. It would be a good time to get on board.

Like most raised in KY, I am a Reds fan. My kids, Giants fans. Its weird, but is what it is. They love UK though... non negotiable in my house.

Ehh.. Im not sure even he knew the amount of shit he would get. I actually think it's TOO much. The haters have gone a bit too far. But it wasn't a good look. It's hard to hear Durant bemoan super teams.. And then join the one he couldn't beat.. A historic one.. For less money. It's clear: he was chasing a title.
It would have been more entertaining to see him in OKC or Boston but I don’t have a problem with him title chasing. The same fans that bash him for chasing titles are problem the same fans that bash melo for chasing money instead of titles

Pelicans have a shot of having a very bright future. It would be a good time to get on board.

Like most raised in KY, I am a Reds fan. My kids, Giants fans. Its weird, but is what it is. They love UK though... non negotiable in my house.

aaaaahhhhhhh it kills me. Although I'll be at the Reds Cardinals series in Cincinnati coming up. STL was right there for you guys, not far. It's the cream deli. Kentucky and STL's history and prestige, how could you pass that up.

The next ring either team wins, I get to pretend to have 20 championships, and if you count Kentucky as having 15 woah.

Eh I’m a Houston fan also but can we really bring up dancing ? Harden did the cooking dance for a full season and he has had other celebrations

Harden had to carry this team.. Last year rockets were a train wreck if it wasn't for him.

I don't mind curry dancing.. Lord knows we've seen it for years... But to do it while having an awful series so far, while Houston exploits your abilities by going right at you.. Seemed a little premature to me.

Hard to watch a guy talk smack with all that he has around him. Klay makes Curry's job so much easier in both ends of the floor. I'd kill for Harden to have that.. And he finally, sort of, does with Cp3.. Look at the difference a defensive minded guard made for Harden.. Someone to lean on as neither he nor curry are good defenders.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I guess I just really don't like the comparison because without UK Cal would have had a hard time selling his brand when just 2/3 years later Kansas, Duke, and many others started recruiting similar, with no strings attached. Cal was hot and first, but he was not pulling the AD's and Randle's to Memphis. I just don't believe it. Eventually Memphis would have caught up with Cal. He would have recruited well and won, but I doubt anything close to what he's done at UK. I don't believe AD, Bledsoe, Jones, Knight, Randle, and several others would have ever wore a Memphis jersey.

Even UNC wants in the OAD pool today, he just couldn't recruit to Memphis against those resources. In 2008 he was alone. Alabama and UAB were finalist for Cousins, Wall was rejected by Roy (wouldnt have gotten him anyway), it was a different time.

We can discuss this more tomorrow, I'm spent.
I dont necessarily disagree. I'm just in the camp that thinks the coach is everything. And the programs history is ancillary.

It would have been more entertaining to see him in OKC or Boston but I don’t have a problem with him title chasing. The same fans that bash him for chasing titles are problem the same fans that bash melo for chasing money instead of titles

I don't hate Durant for caring. I just think he never had that alpha dog in him and this kind of proved it. Westbrook and Durant should have been more than enough to build up to a championship. He definitely took the path of least resistance, and the part that makes it distasteful is it wasn't a Charles Barkley situation, he had his pair. He was set, he just couldn't do it. So jumping to an already established championship organization is going to be considered in his place in history imo. How much he cares or what the alternatives are really weren't my point. Just is what it is I guess.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
We can discuss this more tomorrow, I'm spent.
I dont necessarily disagree. I'm just in the camp that thinks the coach is everything. And the programs history is ancillary.

Well sleep on this. Pitino thought the same way you do, and he's destroyed for taking on that bear. And he is probably a top 3 coach of all time in college basketball.

Reactions: Wildcatfan2381
aaaaahhhhhhh it kills me. Although I'll be at the Reds Cardinals series in Cincinnati coming up. STL was right there for you guys, not far. It's the cream deli. Kentucky and STL's history and prestige, how could you pass that up.

The next ring either team wins, I get to pretend to have 20 championships, and if you count Kentucky as having 15 woah.

Ill be back in KY for a bit here in a couple weeks and planning on going to the Fri night game w/ the Cards I think. Beer on me if youre up there that night.

No argument here about the original post. I liked the NBA growing up (1990s-early 2000s) way more than I do now. It was fun to watch actual rivalries such as Knicks/Heat, Knicks/Pacers (or Reggie Miller vs. Spike Lee, whichever you prefer lol), Knicks/Bulls and others I'm sure I'm forgetting now.

Yeah, Michael Jordan and the Bulls were dominant, but you didn't see the other big time superstars teaming up with him. Instead, they wanted to try and beat Michael and the Bulls even if they did fail. Also liked the stars (Olajuwon, Ewing, Miller, Stockton/Malone, David Robinson, Shaq, Penny, Kemp/Payton, Mourning, etc.)

The fact that someone can win a game in a series and then follow it up with a 41-point loss is so weird. Lots of blowouts in these series.

One of the main reasons the NBA sucks is parity. The whole season is just a huge waste because you know who is going to be in the finals before the season starts about 99 percent of the time. If the Celtics won the East it would be a nice change but I still fully expect it to be Warriors vs Cavs again.

i dont get why people begrudge KD for leaving. OKC has terrible management and HC. and a team mate killer in westbrook. why have your career and legacy torpedoed by incompetence? smart and best decision he ever made. its like people resent that these players have power.

If LeBron can get torched for leaving a team like Cleveland that was about as bad as a professional team gets, KD can get torched for leaving a very good OKC team to go to an all star squad. Regardless of how LeBron did it, he didn't have 1/5 the talent OKC had on their roster.

Ask Kyrie about the world being flat while you're at it.

If LeBron can get torched for leaving a team like Cleveland that was about as bad as a professional team gets, KD can get torched for leaving a very good OKC team to go to an all star squad. Regardless of how LeBron did it, he didn't have 1/5 the talent OKC had on their roster.
Neither should be torched. Play for who you want to play for. The hater generation will find a reason to hate on you no matter what. I know I'm not still working at my first job. I left for better jobs multiple times just like everyone else, this is only an issue in sports. Lebron was one of the most hated people in America for leaving Cleveland for a better job in Miami to play with his friends. Hater generation.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
The NBA has always been like this. You have one or two really good teams each year and you know who's going to win the championship before the season starts for the most part. The 90s Bulls, the San Antonio Spurs teams over the years are the LA Lakers with Kobe and Shaq. Mr. Super team Creator himself LeBron with the Miami Heat and I can go on

Agreed, wish they would stop increasing the salary cap. The fact you can have 3 max contract players and good role players has ruined the game.

Like when the Lakers had Wilt, West and Baylor or Kareem, Magic and Worthy? Or the Celtics had Russell, Jones and Hondo or Bird, McHale and Parrish?

It's always been the formula for greatness. And back then the draft worked totally differently.

For some reason, folks were fine with superteams when they weren't built through free agent decisions.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
The Calipari and UK comparisons to KD and GSW is lame. I’d argue Cal doesn’t have a dynasty right now due to only winning 1 title in his tenure. The Warriors clearly are a dynasty and don’t look to be stopping anytime soon. And I’ll harp it on one more time, you can’t compare the NBA and NCAA at all due to the different formats of post season play. They both play with basketballs but that’s about where the comparisons should stop.

ADVERTISEMENT