ADVERTISEMENT

The Missouri Game

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
Going into the season, the Missouri game was marked on a lot of fans’ calendars as a key. They beat us last year with a new coach and a never-die QB. We just could not get them off the field, as they extended drives. Our offense struggled greatly. It seemed like a step backwards.

If this UK team was special, it would have to erase that memory and beat Missouri first so that it could have a shot at being special against the more traditional powers on the schedule.

Going into the game, there was a different sort of feeling. The game was still meaningful, but now we were more than just a home field favorite. We were the favorite. Our first game demonstrated what we generally collectively hoped. Levis was the starter for a reason in an offense that looked balanced and we had offensive stars that could make plays, some that looked like they could make history. Wan’Dale was who we thought he was. Ali looked like what we were sure he could be with the right system and QB. CRod was, well, CRod. And, the Big Blue Wall was back!

We needed this win. It felt like we should get it in a business-like fashion and move on.

Now that it is in the rear view mirror, I want to revel just a bit. This WAS a big win. Not just in the win column, but moving forward. Not just for the season, but for the program. Should we have won? Yes.

But, don’t overlook that we did. It is not insignificant. Look around the NCAA and see the teams expected to win that are now 1-1 or 0-2.

If we can take care of business these next two games and win on the road in a tough Columbia environment, the Gators once again come to our house for a huge game in the East.

That is not possible without winning against Missouri. The team did what it was supposed to do. Not something UK fans of old are necessarily accustomed to. And, we did it against an SEC opponent. Again, only a relatively new experience for us.

Before this becomes expected and old hat, I want to appreciate it. The season is a one-game at a time journey. What can be, can’t be, without taking care of business.

This was business like. See the challenge. Meet the challenge. Move forward. It was close, but felt like it should be, even when tied in the fourth quarter.

It was a big win, even if expected. How big? We won’t know until we can look back.

This UK team should get better every week. This was just one win, but it feels like a significant one. Maybe a step forward.

Last edited:
All well stated/written.

For me, as I posted pre-season, another game looms about as large: the Mississippi State game.

But, we will hear the cocks crow well before that game.

And a nationally ranked FCS opponent (who might bring more fans to Kroger than Mizzou did) is hoping to prove the spoiler for all our fun.

Still, we are 2-0. It was hard for me to envision a “special” season without a win against Mizzou.

ALL DOORS REMAIN OPEN FOR THIS TEAM.

I think it would have done more if we had made it a statement by beating them like we should have. Should of been 28-7 going into halftime.
Defensive player dropped an interception that led to another Mizzou score. Missed blocking assignment caused the blocked fg attempt.

Clean up those kind of bone beaded plays and we would of beat them bad like 45-10 or 14. Would of gotten a lot of more votes in the polls. Voters want to see wins over ranked teams or you look dominant in the wins. Recruits also take notice as well

We made mistakes, but we overcame the errors and won. That's the mark of a good team. A great team improves and fixes the mistakes. We can be great if we (1) stop the turnovers (2) find a pass rush and (3) improve our special teams play. Lets see what happens over the next two games. We should experiment with Chattanooga but USCjr--at night with the cocks crowing--will be a big deal.

I think it would have done more if we had made it a statement by beating them like we should have. Should of been 28-7 going into halftime.
Defensive player dropped an interception that led to another Mizzou score. Missed blocking assignment caused the blocked fg attempt.

Clean up those kind of bone beaded plays and we would of beat them bad like 45-10 or 14. Would of gotten a lot of more votes in the polls. Voters want to see wins over ranked teams or you look dominant in the wins. Recruits also take notice as well
I agree. I do think that Missouri was going to score that touchdown before halftime regardless of Crods fumble though . We were still going to go into our soft prevent defense and allow them to dink and dunk all the way down the field. It drives me nuts .

You can look at how you want. But we kicked their arse. The score board didn't look like it. But if you watched the game. There was no doubt about it.
And like I said in another thread. If paid attention we lost Devonty Robinson and Jordan Wright to injury. And JJ Weaver could only play so many snaps. And you have Andru Phillips and Vito Tisdale not with team. So we pretty much had 3 freshmen playing, that had only played in about 3 games. So we had to play off the ball. And keep everything in front of us to help protect them from giving up big plays. And their running back ran for over 200 yards last game. We held him to 61.
And if noticed they were stacking 7 or 8 guys in the box. And waited to see if our running back was going to run or block. If he blocked they brought them all. And we still ran it down their throats for 375 yards.
So like I said the score board didn't show it but we dominated them.

And a nationally ranked FCS opponent (who might bring more fans to Kroger than Mizzou did) is hoping to prove the spoiler for all our fun.
Is that a typo on Rivals part? I may have missed it but haven't seen Chattanooga ranked anywhere.

We were 2 or 3 touchdowns better than them but we tried every way to lose. We needed to really take advantage of our personnel advantage and set a tone. Still Old Kentucky loses that game, but stoops Kentucky held on. Next year will depend on how much we keep intact on O.

Reactions: bballcat4
Trying to climb the SEC ladder, I viewed the Missouri game as a lynch pin game, a game that could catapult us up the ladder another rung, the next crucial game in sight is Florida, a win over the Gators moves us up another rung on the ladder with only one left to the top, that one is a pretty big jump but I think we are better equipped to pull it off this time verses the last time we played UGA for the East. Lot of football left, but it is getting very exciting.

Is that a typo on Rivals part? I may have missed it but haven't seen Chattanooga ranked anywhere.
"UT Chit" is in "others receiving votes"-- #27 overall. Link below. You can probably find a poll or two out there where they're in the Top 25 FCS/D1-AA.

Still, they play in the SoCon (good FCS league), and they and East Tenn (beat up Vandy week 1) get a ton of FBS transfers every year.

We should beat Chatt handily, but we should not be surprised to see some decent D1 FBS level talent on the field in multiple positions.

GBB!
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...ump-six-spots-latest-stats-perform-fcs-top-25

"UT Chit" is in "others receiving votes"-- #27 overall. Link below. You can probably find a poll or two out there where they're in the Top 25 FCS/D1-AA.

Still, they play in the SoCon (good FCS league), and they and East Tenn (beat up Vandy week 1) get a ton of FBS transfers every year.

We should beat Chatt handily, but we should not be surprised to see some decent D1 FBS level talent on the field in multiple positions.

GBB!
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...ump-six-spots-latest-stats-perform-fcs-top-25
Terrell Owens play at UTC.

Agreed. Certainly not disappointed with the result. I think we’d be top 25 if we blew them out. We looked more than good enough to do that on Saturday. If we can fix those mistakes I think we’ve got a shot to be a really good team.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Trying to climb the SEC ladder, I viewed the Missouri game as a lynch pin game, a game that could catapult us up the ladder another rung, the next crucial game in sight is Florida, a win over the Gators moves us up another rung on the ladder with only one left to the top, that one is a pretty big jump but I think we are better equipped to pull it off this time verses the last time we played UGA for the East. Lot of football left, but it is getting very exciting.
Can't overlook South Carolina on the road. Lose that and the Missou win means a whole lot less in our quest to do something special in the SEC EAST.

Can't overlook South Carolina on the road. Lose that and the Missou win means a whole lot less in our quest to do something special in the SEC EAST.
I always worry about conference away games no matter who we play but with three games under our belt this team should be close to clicking on all cylinders when we hit Columbia. I think it would take a total loss of focus akin to the 2018 UT game for us to lose.

The Mizzou game was a huge win for all the reasons stated by the OP and it was a game that most preseason pundits picked us to lose. Most UK fans knew we had a pretty good talented team coming back this year with the outlier being QB play under a new OC and now have higher expectations knowing these SEC teams won’t be able to stack the box. We proved how versatile this O can be with a passing threat. 1-0 in the SEC, I’m pretty psyched right now.

You can't take any team for granted in this league - agreed, but if we can't beat USC this year even on a bad day than this team is highly over rated. Just don't see it. Kentucky wins that game by 3 TDs.

You are correct on all counts, 90% of previous UK teams in the last 20 years would
have lost this one. This team didn't lose in spite making a big effort to do so. I like most of what I see with this crew. We are making progress, it may not be as fast as most would want but it is progress.

Now that it is in the rear view mirror, I want to revel just a bit. This WAS a big win.
I'd call it an 8-4 win. If 8-4 is big, then yes, big win. If it was a 10-2 win, now that would be something. Two of FL/LSU/MSU are that & bigger than MO.

Going into the season, the Missouri game was marked on a lot of fans’ calendars as a key. They beat us last year with a new coach and a never-die QB. We just could not get them off the field, as they extended drives. Our offense struggled greatly. It seemed like a step backwards.

If this UK team was special, it would have to erase that memory and beat Missouri first so that it could have a shot at being special against the more traditional powers on the schedule.

Going into the game, there was a different sort of feeling. The game was still meaningful, but now we were more than just a home field favorite. We were the favorite. Our first game demonstrated what we generally collectively hoped. Levis was the starter for a reason in an offense that looked balanced and we had offensive stars that could make plays, some that looked like they could make history. Wan’Dale was who we thought he was. Ali looked like what we were sure he could be with the right system and QB. CRod was, well, CRod. And, the Big Blue Wall was back!

We needed this win. It felt like we should get it in a business-like fashion and move on.

Now that it is in the rear view mirror, I want to revel just a bit. This WAS a big win. Not just in the win column, but moving forward. Not just for the season, but for the program. Should we have won? Yes.

But, don’t overlook that we did. It is not insignificant. Look around the NCAA and see the teams expected to win that are now 1-1 or 0-2.

If we can take care of business these next two games and win on the road in a tough Columbia environment, the Gators once again come to our house for a huge game in the East.

That is not possible without winning against Missouri. The team did what it was supposed to do. Not something UK fans of old are necessarily accustomed to. And, we did it against an SEC opponent. Again, only a relatively new experience for us.

Before this becomes expected and old hat, I want to appreciate it. The season is a one-game at a time journey. What can be, can’t be, without taking care of business.

This was business like. See the challenge. Meet the challenge. Move forward. It was close, but felt like it should be, even when tied in the fourth quarter.

It was a big win, even if expected. How big? We won’t know until we can look back.

This UK team should get better every week. This was just one win, but it feels like a significant one. Maybe a step forward.

Great post. I agree. I'm still reveling and it's Tuesday night. It helps that we play chatanooga this week as there is zero risk of looking ahead (i.e. even if we do, we're goign to win anyway).

This was the biggest game of the season. It doesn't mean that Mizzou is as satisfying as beating UGA, UF, UT, UL, LSU, etc, but it kept all of our goals (modest to high) in play and it ensures that our october home games will be full and crazy.

THere were glimpses of "old KY" but Mark Stoops has turned this into a program taht overcomes dumb plays and mistakes and wins anyway.

I'm with you - I think we should revel in this one all week until gametime against chattanooga.

We made mistakes, but we overcame the errors and won. That's the mark of a good team. A great team improves and fixes the mistakes. We can be great if we (1) stop the turnovers (2) find a pass rush and (3) improve our special teams play. Lets see what happens over the next two games. We should experiment with Chattanooga but USCjr--at night with the cocks crowing--will be a big deal.
I don’t want to be ranked going into the Scarolina game…keep it low key so we don’t fire them up.

If we lost to LSU it would still count in our sec record. But honestly I think Georgia is the main hurdle. Because I really don't see anyone on their schedule giving us any help.

Because I really don't see anyone on their schedule giving us any help.
Bama helps with UF. If we lost to UF, but somehow beat UGA and LSU, we probably take the East. If we beat UF, we would want UF to take out UGA. That would give us some room. But, I agree. It seems unlikely that UGA falls before the conference championship game, if at all. That defense appears right now to be NFLesque.

Reactions: The-Hack
You can look at how you want. But we kicked their arse. The score board didn't look like it. But if you watched the game. There was no doubt about it.
And like I said in another thread. If paid attention we lost Devonty Robinson and Jordan Wright to injury. And JJ Weaver could only play so many snaps. And you have Andru Phillips and Vito Tisdale not with team. So we pretty much had 3 freshmen playing, that had only played in about 3 games. So we had to play off the ball. And keep everything in front of us to help protect them from giving up big plays. And their running back ran for over 200 yards last game. We held him to 61.
And if noticed they were stacking 7 or 8 guys in the box. And waited to see if our running back was going to run or block. If he blocked they brought them all. And we still ran it down their throats for 375 yards.
So like I said the score board didn't show it but we dominated them.
It is certainly true that we whooped Mizzou, but it is also true that many of the people who's opinion's matter did not watch the game and will glance at the box score and assume we were evenly match and we won a squeaker. To truly take the next step, we need to start learning how to run through the tape and bury teams.

So we’re going to beat USC on the road by 3 touchdowns? What’s everyone smoking we’re not Alabama. We will be around 5 point favorites, if that

So we’re going to beat USC on the road by 3 touchdowns? What’s everyone smoking we’re not Alabama. We will be around 5 point favorites, if that
We did last year, and I would venture to bet we are much better this year.

Major propers to the OP and the team. This team is able to overcome F ups unlike teams of old. That tells the tale. They shouldn't rely on their better athleticism but its good to know they have enough to hang in there and overcome. Years ago, a couple of turnovers would equal a 17 point loss...to a crappy team, and missouri is not a crappy team. Also, i think drinkowitz is super sharp, and as expected he adjusted ... we were simply the better team. God bless us all, everyone, especially those of us that have been fans for several decades. These teams we have now are so much fun.

ADVERTISEMENT