ADVERTISEMENT

The last shot...

sabian_uk24

Freshman
Gold Member
Apr 5, 2015
I rarely post on here... medical school prohibits me from doing much. I've been a UK fan my entire life thanks to my dad. I graduated from Kentucky in 2014 and miss it everyday. I was wandering how this last second shot compared to the Laettner shot for those who were watching then. My dad said he teared up when that happened and I'm not afraid to admit that this shot had the same impact. I would almost take losing by 20 than losing by a last second (traveled) shot. Maybe it's just me ranting but I think this game is one I'll never get over. Last night was rough and today has been just as hard especially after an amazing run.

Reactions: wyldcatsfan
I rarely post on here... medical school prohibits me from doing much. I've been a UK fan my entire life thanks to my dad. I graduated from Kentucky in 2014 and miss it everyday. I was wandering how this last second shot compared to the Laettner shot for those who were watching then. My dad said he teared up when that happened and I'm not afraid to admit that this shot had the same impact. I would almost take losing by 20 than losing by a last second (traveled) shot. Maybe it's just me ranting but I think this game is one I'll never get over. Last night was rough and today has been just as hard especially after an amazing run.

Didn't help that Briscoe was totally lost on the play, got to the point of attack much too late.

I don't think it's the same - and honestly, Wisconsin was worse than this one. The thing with the Laettner shot is that it's not really the shot but the whole backstory. It looked like the program could have been destroyed during probation, like Carthage and SMU football. It wasn't clear at the time we would ever be good again - and that's a punch to the gut of kentuckians and kentucky history. But then we had a great year with a bunch of KY kids and seeming rejects who didn't abandon us. And then we were playing mighty defending-champion Duke. And we were just in a dogfight the whole game. And there were only 2.1 seconds

To me, that's why Laettner will always be worse - because of everything leading up to it. Last night, we honestly shouldn't have even had the opportunity for that shot. We hit 3 3s in a row, and had a 5 second call.

Willis had the shooter, and it looked like he left him because he was concerned about the guy under the basket. Guess he thought a jumpshot was preferable to a layup right there. Our D clearly didn't have it's ish together on that last play.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
I don't think it was the same. I think that for most of this game it felt like we could lose it. In the first half we were extremely lucky that UNC was on like a 4-5 minute drought to end the half while UK was playing nothing but subs. That made the entire game feel a lot further away than it was, and even when we took the lead it seemed as though we could lose it at any point rather than extend it, and that's what happened.

Further, I think there just wasn't enough time for the drama to soak. If we hit the three and then call a timeout then there is a ton of drama and a ton of gut wrenching because you have time to think about it. With just 3-4 seconds left all we could really do was yell to play defense (which is what I did). So, I think had there been a timeout and a slower lead up to the final play then it would have felt a bit more like 92.

Reactions: DanHalen88
Yeah last night is no comparison to "The Shot." It was a David vs Goliath game that turned into a slugging match. A bunch of hometown boys that actually weren't good enough to play anywhere else. A program that was embarrassed for years and now these hometown boys were seconds from knocking off the powerhouse of the early 90's.

Willis had the shooter, and it looked like he left him because he was concerned about the guy under the basket. Guess he thought a jumpshot was preferable to a layup right there. Our D clearly didn't have it's ish together on that last play.

It is a scramble. First thing you have to do is stop the ball. If you let the ball get to the basket then it is over. Willis helped off to ensure that the driver didn't get to the basket uncontested, and forced him to give it up. That left someone open. Unfortunately, Briscoe was a second late at trailing and helping to pick up the loose man. It happens in a scramble situation. You'd prefer them not to get a shot off, or to get off a more contested shot, but still... a guy that has averaged 5.5ppg on the season had to shoot a 19 footer in order for them to win it. Unfortunately, it went in.

Didn't help that Briscoe was totally lost on the play, got to the point of attack much too late.

It was more Willis than anyone. He faded back into the lane to help stop berrys drive but fox had perfect D on him. Briscoe was trailing the play and tried to get his hand in his face the best he could but couldn't quite catch up. Not the biggest of briscoe fan but that last play was hardly on him.

It is a scramble. First thing you have to do is stop the ball. If you let the ball get to the basket then it is over. Willis helped off to ensure that the driver didn't get to the basket uncontested, and forced him to give it up. That left someone open. Unfortunately, Briscoe was a second late at trailing and helping to pick up the loose man. It happens in a scramble situation. You'd prefer them not to get a shot off, or to get off a more contested shot, but still... a guy that has averaged 5.5ppg on the season had to shoot a 19 footer in order for them to win it. Unfortunately, it went in.

No, Fox clearly had the men. Willis was literally behind fox. Briscoe had Berry...you have to be crazy to come off him. Had Willis been a support and not behind Fox, then it would have completely changed everything.

It really wasn't a scramble, btw. The second Pinson got the ball, everyone picked up their man. I was actually surprised when i saw the replay (sucked ass, btw).

While the shot yesterday was painful and I hated to see the CATS lose, the shot in 92 was 1000 times worse. Ripped my soul out during that one. I have since learned (with many years of practice) to not take losses as hard as I did then, and especially that one.

Reactions: notelvis and awf
No, Fox clearly had the men. Willis was literally behind fox. Briscoe had Berry...you have to be crazy to come off him. Had Willis been a support and not behind Fox, then it would have completely changed everything.

It really wasn't a scramble, btw. The second Pinson got the ball, everyone picked up their man. I was actually surprised when i saw the replay (sucked ass, btw).

7.2 seconds is going to be a scramble no matter what. They played decent defense on it though.

Willis gets stuck behind Fox because Willis helps to force Pinson away from the basket. You might prefer Willis to stick with his man, but that could also mean that Pinson goes up into Fox and tries to draw a foul or get a layup. First rule of stopping the break is to stop the ball. Willis did that. Forced a long 19 footer. It was a breakdown but when you're scrambling to stop a drive and make sure that they don't get an easy bucket then that's a low percentage shot by a player who isn't one of their best.

Reactions: Mojocat
7.2 seconds is going to be a scramble no matter what. They played decent defense on it though.

Willis gets stuck behind Fox because Willis helps to force Pinson away from the basket. You might prefer Willis to stick with his man, but that could also mean that Pinson goes up into Fox and tries to draw a foul or get a layup. First rule of stopping the break is to stop the ball. Willis did that. Forced a long 19 footer. It was a breakdown but when you're scrambling to stop a drive and make sure that they don't get an easy bucket then that's a low percentage shot by a player who isn't one of their best.

But Fox did stop the ball. Pinson wasn't going towards the rim, he couldn't, so he passed out. Also, Willis was in the wrong position to support anyways. He was behind fox and completely ineffective of defense. If he was between Pinson and Mays, that would have been perfect, because he could of came back and challenged that shot a little.

But Fox did stop the ball. Pinson wasn't going towards the rim, he couldn't, so he passed out. Also, Willis was in the wrong position to support anyways. He was behind fox and completely ineffective of defense. If he was between Pinson and Mays, that would have been perfect, because he could of came back and challenged that shot a little.

Yes, he gets stuck because he helps to push Pinson away from the basket. If he is between Pinson and Mayes then he isn't between Pinson and the basket. Fox may still have hemmed him away from the basket because I agree that Fox had him defended pretty well, but, again, the most important rule is to stop the ball. Willis was helping and trying to follow that rule. In the final seconds of a game you cannot blame him for trying to make sure the opposing team doesn't get a layup and helping to protect the rim.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Willis had Maye all the way down the court. Fox was guarding Pinson as he drove. Willis' man jumped out to the elbow and Willis got caught ball watching and got pinned behind Fox. Briscoe saw it and tried to get over to help just a second too late. Just one of those bang, bang plays. Kid hit a big shot.

Reactions: awf
I rarely post on here... medical school prohibits me from doing much. I've been a UK fan my entire life thanks to my dad. I graduated from Kentucky in 2014 and miss it everyday. I was wondering how this last second shot compared to the Laettner shot for those who were watching then. My dad said he teared up when that happened and I'm not afraid to admit that this shot had the same impact. I would almost take losing by 20 than losing by a last second (traveled) shot. Maybe it's just me ranting but I think this game is one I'll never get over. Last night was rough and today has been just as hard especially after an amazing run.
fify

The Laetner shot was way worse. Our guys played a magical game in 92. It was beyond their capabilities, but somehow they did it for 40 minutes. Imagine Rocky beating Drago. That is what it was like in that game. We were doing something no one thought was possible, and just when it looked like the job was finished the rug was pulled out from under us. Last night was just to heavy weights going at it and they got the last punch.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
Yesterday hurt, still hurts but Duke 92 was worse. We had the lead we were going to win and go to the Final Four after years of be down and kicked while down.

Even if he misses that shot yesterday we still have to play 5 minutes of basketball. They both suck but 92 was worse.

There is an article on Yahoo about Laettner welcoming Maye to the club of Kentucky killers wearing the number 32, more proof people hate Kentucky. They can hate all they want but Kentucky is still king of college basketball.

Good lord, the way some of you nitwits unfairly try to scapegoat Briscoe is unreal.

You need to re-watch. Willis is actually the guy who was supposed to be covering Maye on that play, but he lost him and collapsed inside instead. Briscoe was guarding Berry, but ended up on the shooter only because he tried to help when he saw Willis' man was left wide open and getting the ball.

Last edited:
If you notice, Briscoe made a quick move toward Berry before covering Maye.

Not saying that was a mistake. His instinct was that Berry would get the pitch, and Berry was his man.

But that split second was the difference between disrupting Maye's shot, or giving him a clean look.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
perfect response. My son was railing, like a kid (and some adults on here, unfortunately) wanting to find someone or something to blame. I said in that situation it's basically chaos, first thing you do is prevent the ball from getting to the rim, and hope everyone rotates. but it's difficult in fast break end of game situation.

I will say it again: Losing to Wisconsin was the worst loss by UK in my lifetime. Worse than Duke in '92. Worse than this loss. Worse than either UConn loss in the Final Four. The opportunity for 40-0 with an absurdly loaded roster, and we messed around with shot clock violations and poor officiating sealed the deal down the stretch. That game is the one I will take to my grave. And I was a student at UK in 1992.

Reactions: wyldcatsfan
not what I saw. Pinson had an angle on Fox, was heading to the rack - Willis cheats off Maye, because that's what you're taught to do. help to prevent a layup. that's 6th grade stuff. Willis cheats, cuts off Pinson, which leaves his man open.

As everyone says, in the end you have a guy who averages 5 a game, a former walk-on, shooting a 18 footer with less than a second on the clock. If Cal was allowed to draw up a play for Carolina, that's probably pretty close to what he'd ask for. Hard for me to complain much about that. All my angst is about what Decourcy, Gottlieb, Golic/Greenberg and others are talking about.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
In 1992, we weren't winning the national title. If we beat UNC yesterday, maybe we win it all. I don't know. We'd be the favorite.

2015 is the worst loss ever. 1992 is romanticized more than it should be. It was basically a Rocky Balboa moment where he goes the distance with Apollo Creed but just comes up short.

Good lord, the way some of you nitwits unfairly try to scapegoat Briscoe is unreal.

You need to re-watch. Willis is actually the guy who was supposed to be covering Maye on that play, but he lost him and collapsed inside instead. Briscoe was guarding Berry, but ended up on the shooter only because he tried to help when he saw Willis' man was left wide open and getting the ball.

Was too late, that's the point. And I'm not scapegoating anybody.

LOL, Briscoe doesn't even look remotely like the guy that was lost on that play....WILLIS. Not blaming the loss on Willis but he gave up on May. Fox cut off the driver and May was wide open.

Reactions: ukfan041
not what I saw. Pinson had an angle on Fox, was heading to the rack - Willis cheats off Maye, because that's what you're taught to do. help to prevent a layup. that's 6th grade stuff. Willis cheats, cuts off Pinson, which leaves his man open.

As everyone says, in the end you have a guy who averages 5 a game, a former walk-on, shooting a 18 footer with less than a second on the clock. If Cal was allowed to draw up a play for Carolina, that's probably pretty close to what he'd ask for. Hard for me to complain much about that. All my angst is about what Decourcy, Gottlieb, Golic/Greenberg and others are talking about.

well, your memory is 100% wrong. Fox was in great possession. Willis never came into play on that. He was literally behind Fox in terms of position.

Oh wow, I remember the laettner shot vividly. It was the spring of my freshman year and I, and many others, were stoked that UK even made it that far. That one shot hurt WAAAYYYY worse than yesterday's game. This one stings because it's against UNCheaters, one of our main rivals and historical nemesis that has seemed to own us at times over the years, especially in big NCAA tournament games.

When we play UNCheaters, we are not only trying to win a game, but we are fighting to maintain our place as the King of college bball against another top program that feels the same way we do.

From my perspective, the 84 Georgetown game and the original dream game also caused a DEEP HURT for UK fans. Not to mention the Wisconsin game and the UcONn championship game loss.

UK has been on the wrong end of some heartbreaking losses over the years.

I will say it again: Losing to Wisconsin was the worst loss by UK in my lifetime. Worse than Duke in '92. Worse than this loss. Worse than either UConn loss in the Final Four. The opportunity for 40-0 with an absurdly loaded roster, and we messed around with shot clock violations and poor officiating sealed the deal down the stretch. That game is the one I will take to my grave. And I was a student at UK in 1992.
Wisky loss was worse than yesterday but the Rupp's Runts loss to Texas Western will always be the most painful for me. Duke '92 and Bowie loss to Georgetown (83?) round out the top 5!!!

Reactions: awf
well, your memory is 100% wrong. Fox was in great possession. Willis never came into play on that. He was literally behind Fox in terms of position.

That's because Pinson ran his man into Willis as Maye broke loose (similar to what Nova did last year to get a clean look for the game winner). Willis had no time to recover, and was also probably thinking of helping stop Pinson's layup over a shorter Fox. If Pinson makes that layup or gets fouled, BBN is howling today because Willis didn't help.

It's a catch 22. Bottom line, UNC made a great play to win the game.

Reactions: ukfan041

Willis did come into play on it before he got behind Fox. Willis picked him up around the free throw line. At that point, and I have paused the video right here to be sure, Willis is the only player actually in front of Pinson and keeping him from the basket. Fox is on his right shoulder and maybe a half step behind him. Pinson then fades towards the elbow a bit and drops it off to Maye, and shield's Fox from getting to Maye while Willis fades back towards the basket. If Willis doesn't step in front of him then Pinson may go to the rack uncontested.

Here is the video. Pause it at about 9-10 seconds and you'll see that Fox is on Pinson's shoulder while Willis is getting square to the ball right at the free throw line, which forces Pinson to angle away from the basket. Willis helps to stop the drive, but unfortunately in doing so it takes him away from his own man and out of the play. Briscoe is a bit late helping, not that I am faulting him for it.

Again, this is a huge push up the court that happens quickly and sometimes in stopping the drive people get open. For UK, the second best possible shooter got the look. Would have liked it to have been more contested, but the person taking the shot was likely the one you wanted taking it. It just didn't work out for us.

The irony (coincidence?) of what this play resembles to me -- in situation and execution -- is more like how NORTH CAROLINA lost in national championship last year...

* Their guy hits an impossible, awkward-looking shot to tie the game
* Villanova has very little time (only 4.7 sec) to get ball length of court
* Man drives while defense plays him pretty well only for him to dish to open shooter
* Shot goes through with no time left for UNC

Very few differences: Nova had a little less time, there was a T.O. called after the awkward 3 (though interestingly, not called by UNC to set up their defense--was called by Nova), and not even 0.3 on clock after shot went in.

Last edited:
Was too late, that's the point. And I'm not scapegoating anybody.

Nonsense. Briscoe reacted the moment he saw the pass going to Maye, He can't go sooner or it would've meant leaving Berry (the far more lethal threat) wide open.

Your take on this is 100 percent wrong, and you just look foolish by continuing to defend it. Willis is clearly the guy who lost his man on that play, not Briscoe. Briscoe did everything one could expect from him, by both properly covering his own man, and then providing the help defense to try to cover for his teammate's blunder.

That your take on that play is to unjustly blame it on Briscoe for supposedly getting "totally lost", without even mentioning Willis, is just preposterously wrong.

Last edited:

I agree, I think Willis thought the ball was going to the rim. Not a bad decision on his part, save it was wrong. Not sure he could have gotten to the shooter anyway.

Timeouts are your friend. Needed to call one after Monks make.

Re-watching that yet again, I really don't know what Willis was thinking. It basically looks like he was focusing on establishing good inside rebounding position, without ever really even trying to cover his man.

Yet, inside position generally does not matter in a buzzer beater scenario, as there likely won't even be time for any sort of rebound or second shot. Preventing an open look is by far and away what matters most in that situation--Stay. On. Your. Man.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT