ADVERTISEMENT

The Last of Us

I made jokes - but I really didn’t think this type of story still upset people - like for real people felt preached at by the “woke” gay guys story? Yea I didn’t care to see 2 dudes making out, but I didn’t feel attacked - I don’t like seeing 2 old people making out either

And who is really concerned over the plot of a show about a video game? Lol were you upset over Mortal Kombat movies?

GOT did the same thing, changed things from the book and WAY more people have read that than played this game. Artistic license and whatnot.

A movie will never be exactly like the book or game, it’s not happening.

I just don’t understand why people still get upset about it and haven’t figured out things will change from what they originally loved to the movie.

The books and movies Savages and Where The Crawdads sing were both awesome, I loved them, different but both awesome, I didn’t care. It’s not my story to tell.

Again, I don’t understand the whole, “it’s not like the book, they changed things!!!!” Yup and that’s happened for a century now since movies came around. Why do people still get mad about it? 90% of the people that watch the show or movie never read the book or played the game.
People don't like change for the sake of change or for political points. This was obviously one of those because it sacrifices an important point in the story.

People don't like change for the sake of change or for political points. This was obviously one of those because it sacrifices an important point in the story.
Not sure if you’re aware or would even care - but one of guys who wrote the video game also is doing the show - and likes slowing the pace down to tell this story vs hinting at it like the game did

Wouldn't you want a show to stick to the story instead of going off on a tangent that has no relevance?
Why would I care? I don't know a thing that there's a game or whatever. It's a TV storyline. It can go wherever.

Last edited:
Reactions: roguemocha
Not sure if you’re aware or would even care - but one of guys who wrote the video game also is doing the show - and likes slowing the pace down to tell this story vs hinting at it like the game did
That would be great... if he hadn't skipped over a core story moment. It's a Hollywood thing now, even though he is one of the writers. If it was about pace, either add another episode, or tell the full story in that one. It was already an hour and 20 minutes. But now "it's the best moment in TV history"...

My issue is, stop changing stories just to change them. I had a similar problem with the rings of power that had nothing to do with "being a homophobe" or anything.

Reactions: hmt5000
That would be great... if he hadn't skipped over a core story moment. It's a Hollywood thing now, even though he is one of the writers. If it was about pace, either add another episode, or tell the full story in that one. It was already an hour and 20 minutes. But now "it's the best moment in TV history"...

My issue is, stop changing stories just to change them. I had a similar problem with the rings of power that had nothing to do with "being a homophobe" or anything.
Trying to get this straight - not really arguing - but how Frank & Bill die in a video game vs a show is what what you are complaining about? And to your points if Tolkien had agreed to a change in a book story in a show story you’d just say eff you JRR you’re Hollywood now?

Again it’s a tv show based on a video game lol

Reactions: roguemocha
Trying to get this straight - not really arguing - but how Frank & Bill die in a video game vs a show is what what you are complaining about? And to your points if Tolkien had agreed to a change in a book story in a show story you’d just say eff you JRR you’re Hollywood now?

Again it’s a tv show based on a video game lol
The game, nor the show, is about Bill and frank. Honestly, the name frank is maybe mentioned a handful of times in the game. The story is about Joel and ellie. Episode 3 was an hour and 15 minutes of 2 characters that were minor parts(Bill less so). Bill interacting with ellie, and Joel after losing a partner is a critical moment for the main characters. That was replaced by an unnecessary gay love story. If you ADD the gay love story TO that interaction, that enriches the whole thing and i(plus others) are fine with it.

As far as Tolkien goes, there's a reason his son backed away early in production of the rings of power. Changes were made to characters for no reason except Hollywood wokeness. I think j.r.r. would have as well. But yes, if he made a change for societal reasons(this had Hollywood wokeness all over it), then yes I'd have a problem with it too.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
The game, nor the show, is about Bill and frank. Honestly, the name frank is maybe mentioned a handful of times in the game. The story is about Joel and ellie. Episode 3 was an hour and 15 minutes of 2 characters that were minor parts(Bill less so). Bill interacting with ellie, and Joel after losing a partner is a critical moment for the main characters. That was replaced by an unnecessary gay love story. If you ADD the gay love story TO that interaction, that enriches the whole thing and i(plus others) are fine with it.

As far as Tolkien goes, there's a reason his son backed away early in production of the rings of power. Changes were made to characters for no reason except Hollywood wokeness. I think j.r.r. would have as well. But yes, if he made a change for societal reasons(this had Hollywood wokeness all over it), then yes I'd have a problem with it too.
Wow - guess you are the owner and only person allowed to approve of any story ever - impressive

Maybe in the next episode they'll have a couple of 90 year old gay acrobats flipping around up in the air with their grey balls jangling together. It would be such a sweet statement on the love between two human beings that the world could all get behind and can't wait to see unexpectedly while just trying to sit down and watch a zombie TV show.

Reactions: drawing_dead
I heard episode 3 would trigger a lot of people.

Reading this thread and posts from the usual suspects, that was correct. Lol.

Imagine getting worked up over scripted entertainment. Speaking of, come join us in the wrestling thread. There’s oily mens wearing little shorts galore.

I have/had plenty of gay friends and not one of them described their acts in bed. I wouldn't have minded this episode too much if I didn't have to see foreplay between the two and a "going down" move. Well, congratulation TLOU, you set out what you intended to do which is rile people up. I guess it's easier to see who your "enemies" are now. Good Lord.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Looking forward to the redass produced by the Super Mario movie.

It’s already out there. People were mad that Chris Pratt was cast as an Italian plumber invented by the Japanese to fight an army of turtles and mushrooms.

Then they got mad that Chris Pratt didn’t do the ‘it’s a me! Mario!!!’ Voice that would have resulted in the same people complaining about making fun of Italians or something.

And then John Leguizamo complained there aren’t enough Latino people in a movie about Italian plumbers from Japan. Also he played Luigi in the live action movie 30 years ago and that’s fine because there weren’t any Japanese born Italian plumbers that were also actors

Nope. I ain’t ever died but I imagine it kinda sucks if ya like living and still have some plans.
4f5ee715fbf59c2e607efbe0c2078a1b.jpg

Reactions: Col. Angus
That's an AI voice. It's not perfect but still. We're not far off from seeing and hearing AI creations that will be indistinguishable from the actual thing.

• Haha
Reactions: JDHoss

And Tolkien was a man of principles. He could have made tons of money off his books but constantly turned them down because they changed stuff. The few times he did sell rights to people was due to dire financial need for his family. Too many yes men/women in Hollywood now. It just doesn't feel like writers today are putting story first and are just looking for ways to work in issues and types of characters. Hopefully this is close to an end... with the money losses on this stuff it's going to be one way or another. lol.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
CI: get your recs here and also be taken back to 1962.

I'm just starting this today because I've heard good things and noticed this thread was already three pages. Figured, "ok, must be pretty popular here." Turns out, basically two pages of this thread is going back and forth about the gays, wokeness, and some obsessing over dudes sucking off dudes. Didn't we already kinda do this shit with the House of the Dragon is woke omg thread a month before the show premiered? And yet, it was great and millions watched (guess woke = broke doesn't apply to everything like we're lead to believe). If you're uncomfortable or offended in any way with a popular show, play it safe with reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond I guess. I'm looking forward to this as HBO usually kills it but I just wanted to say that the Paddock didn't disappoint with its ancient omg ew gays mindset.

Reactions: chroix and GeraldV
I haven’t watched this yet but did play the first game moons ago.

Who gives a shit about showing a couple of gay dudes in love? What’s so triggering about that? I’ve got gay friends and not once have I ever heard them go “this show is terrible with all the straight people in love and having sex!”

Three episodes down and yes, this is a great show. Not sure I'd want to binge it though. The Fungi Zombie whateverthehell's are creepy as hell and look pretty gnarly in 4K. Episode three takes a break from all that and shows characters with layers and emotions. Felt more like an episode of Six Feet Under. Not to do the thing that everyone will do and compare this to The Walking Dead, but Dead feels like it was done by college students. The Last of Us feels like it's made by adults with life experience.

The show IS great! They just sacrificed a really important part of that story for a gay love letter of an episode. Just don't change for the sake of change and wokeness. At the very least, make half the episode about the relationship between Bill and frank to give context to the angst/anger/fear of losing someone that bill has. Then do the scenes with Bill, ellie, and Joel.

Three episodes down and yes, this is a great show. Not sure I'd want to binge it though. The Fungi Zombie whateverthehell's are creepy as hell and look pretty gnarly in 4K. Episode three takes a break from all that and shows characters with layers and emotions. Felt more like an episode of Six Feet Under. Not to do the thing that everyone will do and compare this to The Walking Dead, but Dead feels like it was done by college students. The Last of Us feels like it's made by adults with life experience.
Those first few seasons of TWD was fantastic television, then they drifted a bit starting with Terminus.

Hated episode 3. Woke to be woke and completely ruined the interaction that was really cool between Bill, Joel, and ellie.
My son watched it Monday and told me about it, so yeah, I'm done with the show. Too much else to watch and things to do than watch that that crap.

But YEAH!!!! 1% got the warm fuzzies last night, so good for them.

********Raises hand, wasn't aware there was a game before this became a show, but then again I don't play video games, never have so I wouldn't have had any idea or I could have chosen not to watch to begin with since it wasn't something I would have liked. Glad I was only two episodes in in any event.

Added a new character in ep. 4. I kinda understand why though. A leader for the cannon fodder hunter faction. Still meh on it though.

Looking forward to the redass produced by the Super Mario movie.
“wait a DAMN SECOND!!! They open with Mario with a flying raccoon tail but in the game you couldn’t get a raccoon tail til you took the super secret teleportation pipe in World 3 to the Land Of Goombas AND even then you had to know to put your dinosaur Yoshi on a brick coin box to grab the vine and climb into the clouds!!!!!! This show is PURE BULLSHIT!!!!!”

Reactions: GeraldV and chroix
Those first few seasons of TWD was fantastic television, then they drifted a bit starting with Terminus.
I do agree with this, but emotion-wise, I just never felt it with The Walking Dead. The Last of Us had me midway through the first episode. Maybe it's just me getting a bit older, but even though I figured what would happen happened, I still got a little glassy-eyed.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
ADVERTISEMENT