ADVERTISEMENT

the goal this year [get ranked!]

Bluegrass79

Senior
Mar 4, 2008
The goal and next step for Stoops is to become a "ranked in the top 25" football team for atleast 2 weeks this season imo. Would yall agree?
Damn I wanna be a preseason top 25 team so bad... let alone being ranked in the season at some point lol

Last edited:
The goal and next step for Stoops is to become a "ranked in the top 25" football team for atleast 2 weeks this season imo. Would yall agree?
Damn I wanna be a preseason top 25 team so bad... let alone being ranked in the season at some point lol
Got me thinking. UK has been in the pre-season AP Top 20/25 four times, 1950, 1951, 1957 and 1978.

JMO but I think the "next step" for Stoops is some consistent 8 win seasons. Last time was 2006 and 2007.

Peace

Got me thinking. UK has been in the pre-season AP Top 20/25 four times, 1950, 1951, 1957 and 1978.

JMO but I think the "next step" for Stoops is some consistent 8 win seasons. Last time was 2006 and 2007.

Peace

Pretty impressive, huh? But some of our fans are going to be going all out to fire Stoops if we aren't top 20 in the next couple years.

Hell, some of them want to fire him now, even willing to chip in on the buyout.

I think they took a giant step towards upgrading the D-line yesterday with the move of Paschal to DE. We are deep enough at the outside linebacker spots that this won't impact those positions. With a year under his belt Bohanna should be set for a big year at NT, and Dubose improved quite a bit as well as his backup. We have a long way to go but I'm starting to feel much better about he D-line going into next year, and if the D-line improves so will the entire defense.

Deeefense:
Its been a long time since we've had the athleticism on the DL of Paschal, Middleton, and Bohanna.
If those 3 can stay healthy, and others like Tymere, TJ, etc. can provide some decent depth - we could actually have an SEC Dline for the first time in a while!
I think Taylor and Looney better athletes than Middleton. My hope is Middleton can be a platoon guy instead of the clear cut starter.

I think Middleton played too light last year. He went from near 300 down to around 275. I think he needs the weight and strength. Hopefully this will be a better year.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I've gave Dubose and Looney rides throu Lyft and Uber. Both are huge dudes who look the part. Dubose was small size in high school in the picture he showed me but man he got bigger. One of perks of being a driver is getting to talk to the players in a one on one setting. It's pretty damn cool.

With our underwhelming FB history, the CFB world will not give us the benefit of the doubt. We will need to win an extra game or two more than schools (with a winning reputation) have to win to break into the top 25 mid-season.

Note: NO predictions here....just a run down of how many wins we need and when:

If we beat Central Michigan and win in the swamp....there will be enough "pop" to us breaking the streak that we might slide in the rankings at 2-0.

Otherwise, with a loss to UF, I think we would "maybe" make it with a start of 4-1 with wins over Cent Mich, Murray, SoCar, and MSU.... definitely we're in with 5-1 courtesy of an added win @ A&M.

If we start out something like 4-3....we'll need 8 or more likely 9 wins as we close out the season for any hope of a ranking.

If we start 3-4...we may scrape together a winning season, but a UGA loss in the home stretch will keep us pushed out of the top 25 IMO.

So let me get this right ...11 -12 years would be good before having a team ranked in the top 25? Amazing if so.

I hope you aren't being serious with your original post-------but then being you it probably is a serious post.

On the other hand didn't it take Brooks about 12 years to turn Oregon's program around, and didn't he end up with some high honors there?

But I don't think 2023 would be OK with many if any on here, he was probably just wanting to disagree with your constant negativity AND making a comment on our past.

I think Taylor and Looney better athletes than Middleton. My hope is Middleton can be a platoon guy instead of the clear cut starter.
I really don't agree. I think Adrian has a lot of potential. I can't say I know he played too light last year, but he looked like a different player. I really think you will see a resurgence this year on his part. Hoping he has a big year.

I would rather get ranked after season starts, means we earned it

I hope you aren't being serious with your original post-------but then being you it probably is a serious post.

On the other hand didn't it take Brooks about 12 years to turn Oregon's program around, and didn't he end up with some high honors there?

But I don't think 2023 would be OK with many if any on here, he was probably just wanting to disagree with your constant negativity AND making a comment on our past.
If it is 2023 that guys like you, BT2 and others are willing to wait to be ranked then it's guys like YOU that are holding the program back and that 20k season tickets you keep bloviating about will only be a drop in the bucket...losing four from my group this year already.

If it is 2023 that guys like you, BT2 and others are willing to wait to be ranked then it's guys like YOU that are holding the program back and that 20k season tickets you keep bloviating about will only be a drop in the bucket...losing four from my group this year already.
When can we count on losing you?

Why he lost weight last season was ????

Apparently he has put it back on, he's not gaining speed from the weight loss. get the damn weight back on and play power football.

He was simply blown off the line all year.

Reactions: bluecoon1

Can you read? Here is what I said:

"But I don't think 2023 would be OK with many if any on here, he was probably just wanting to disagree with your constant negativity AND making a comment on our past."

And the REASON for losing 20,000 season ticket holders was primarily the way mitch supported football for over a decade, the only way they could get any action without being called microwave fans..

And then they found out how easy it is to stay home and watch it on the big screen with instant analysis and replay. That plus the bad taste he has left in most fans mouth, if not for the strike we would probably still have a recruiting budget about a third of Thug U's (but then we have SO many other recruiting advantages that it made sense, right, lol) and an operating budget about the same for 85 rides as for 14 in basketball.

Pretty incredible, really.

Can you read? Here is what I said:

"But I don't think 2023 would be OK with many if any on here, he was probably just wanting to disagree with your constant negativity AND making a comment on our past."

And the REASON for losing 20,000 season ticket holders was primarily the way mitch supported football for over a decade, the only way they could get any action without being called microwave fans..

And then they found out how easy it is to stay home and watch it on the big screen with instant analysis and replay. That plus the bad taste he has left in most fans mouth, if not for the strike we would probably still have a recruiting budget about a third of Thug U's (but then we have SO many other recruiting advantages that it made sense, right, lol) and an operating budget about the same for 85 rides as for 14 in basketball.

Pretty incredible, really.
I was HIGHLY po'd over the micro-wave statement, and unlike you, I wasn't afraid to tell him so to his face in a normal tone of voice. Didn't attend almost a whole year with tickets and my entire group didn't buy any JP's last year ...when your boy was signed and he looked like he was going to go the way of his brother we all bought tickets again. We were displaced , but ended up with better seats.
We shall see how it all plays out , but as much as it might surprise I hope MS is highly successful here, but because of his 1970's coaching style I don't see it happening. You can continue to bemoan the season ticket sales losses, but if Stoops, or whoever, is able to get this program to consistently EIGHT PLUS wins each season then you'll see season ticket sales sold out each year...a beautiful stadium, practice facility as good as any in the sec, new state of the art baseball stadium, great SB, soccer , track facilities and MORE ALL UNDER THE WATCH OF MB...now his contract negotiations with SOME head coaches is questionable at best.

I don't particularly agree with sluggers negative slant towards M Stoops but he is putting his $$ and presence into support of the program! I will listen to his voice before the negative nancies who couldn't even find Commonwealth Kroger stadium without a gps! I think he is a great fan who just doesn't care for our coach, it's his right to feel that way and to say so on here. The guy even attends the batcat games I think. I like what MS is doing with the program(mostly) and I believe he is the man for the job however, honestly it's still a bit too early to say that he is a no doubt success here. More time is needed imo, in the next two years I say it will be very clear.

I was HIGHLY po'd over the micro-wave statement, and unlike you, I wasn't afraid to tell him so to his face in a normal tone of voice. Didn't attend almost a whole year with tickets and my entire group didn't buy any JP's last year ...when your boy was signed and he looked like he was going to go the way of his brother we all bought tickets again. We were displaced , but ended up with better seats.
We shall see how it all plays out , but as much as it might surprise I hope MS is highly successful here, but because of his 1970's coaching style I don't see it happening. You can continue to bemoan the season ticket sales losses, but if Stoops, or whoever, is able to get this program to consistently EIGHT PLUS wins each season then you'll see season ticket sales sold out each year...a beautiful stadium, practice facility as good as any in the sec, new state of the art baseball stadium, great SB, soccer , track facilities and MORE ALL UNDER THE WATCH OF MB...now his contract negotiations with SOME head coaches is questionable at best.

Well, according to you, we are still losing fans. Kind of stupid IMO since STOOPS has brought in the best overall talent ever assembled by UK, IMO, a far cry from the 92nd ranked class in 02 that had TWO recruits above a two star.

And if some bean counters hadn't noticed how much money was being lost from losing TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders (plus loss from donations) and if the OTHER SEC ADs hadn't been investing in THE MONEY COW so that we are getting FORTY MILLION DOLLAR bonuses (plus selling naming rights, etc) so there is an INCREDIBLE amount of money to throw around ($12,000,000 buyouts, seven wins an automatic extension, etc etc) we probably would still have Joker as the coach.

And LOL, it is pretty obvious from my posts that I am scared to death of mitch.

And I still contend that although I am in favor of helping out academics as much as anyone, being able to borrow (and obligating the athletic department for that much more) about a hundred million more than the cost of renovating CW makes a mockery of not having any chance to finance $100,000,000 LESS for all those years we had the "recruiting room" pictures to be used against us.

AND I also contend spending the $156,000 to hang some pictures on a wall somewhere instead of correcting the major flaws in the "recruiting room" was his way of showing the "microwave fans' who was boss.

PLUS, since we did lose TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders (many of whom will never be back) the money from that PLUS the loss in donations cost us a lot more than he ever saved with his penny wise pound foolish support of football. With the proper support of football he would have had MORE money for the minor sports.

Most good business men INVEST in their biggest money maker-------and while UK has just about everything imaginable in basketball AND the best overall program in the nation, the stepchild named FOOTBALL was the MONEY COW.

He starved it. For OVER a decade, while football was emerging as THE money sport.

I will stand by for your personal insults you like to use instead of discussing the FACTS in this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlefeller
I really don't agree. I think Adrian has a lot of potential. I can't say I know he played too light last year, but he looked like a different player. I really think you will see a resurgence this year on his part. Hoping he has a big year.
He is a solid platoon player but I think Taylor and Looney have more athletic ability. Middleton tfl and sack numbers the last two years starting do not show a disruptive player. Taylor played great in bowl game showing some ability to penetrate. I like Middleton but hes not a guy who will disrupt the los very often.

Reactions: KintuckyWildCayuts
Well, according to you, we are still losing fans. Kind of stupid IMO since STOOPS has brought in the best overall talent ever assembled by UK, IMO, a far cry from the 92nd ranked class in 02 that had TWO recruits above a two star.

And if some bean counters hadn't noticed how much money was being lost from losing TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders (plus loss from donations) and if the OTHER SEC ADs hadn't been investing in THE MONEY COW so that we are getting FORTY MILLION DOLLAR bonuses (plus selling naming rights, etc) so there is an INCREDIBLE amount of money to throw around ($12,000,000 buyouts, seven wins an automatic extension, etc etc) we probably would still have Joker as the coach.

And I still contend that although I am in favor of helping out academics as much as anyone, being able to borrow (and obligating the athletic department for that much more) about a hundred million more than the cost of renovating CW makes a mockery of not having any chance to finance $100,000,000 LESS for all those years we had the "recruiting room" pictures to be used against us.

AND I also contend spending the $156,000 to hang some pictures on a wall somewhere instead of correcting the major flaws in the "recruiting room" was his way of showing the "microwave fans' who was boss.

PLUS, since we did lose TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders (many of whom will never be back) the money from that PLUS the loss in donations cost us a lot more than he ever saved with his penny wise pound foolish support of football. With the proper support of football he would have had MORE money for the minor sports.

Most good business men INVEST in their biggest money maker-------and while UK has just about everything imaginable in basketball AND the best overall program in the nation, the stepchild named FOOTBALL was the MONEY COW.

He starved it. For OVER a decade, while football was emerging as THE money sport.

I will stand by for your personal insults you like to use instead of discussing the FACTS in this post.

Not reading another one of your tomes again, but I will comment on the first paragraph...I'm assuming you are referring to the "fans still leaving" to my buddies...well they are leaving STRICTLY because of the "bill of goods" they were sold by as one of my buddies puts it by your boy...as far as this massive talent upgrade over the last five years you claim, come talk to me when one of his HS recruits is on an NFL roster or is even drafted.

Not reading another one of your tomes again, but I will comment on the first paragraph...I'm assuming you are referring to the "fans still leaving" to my buddies...well they are leaving STRICTLY because of the "bill of goods" they were sold by as one of my buddies puts it by your boy...as far as this massive talent upgrade over the last five years you claim, come talk to me when one of his HS recruits is on an NFL roster or is even drafted.

Pretty long reply for someone that doesn't even have time to spend 30 seconds reading the post, lol-------or maybe you just don't like the truth. I would hate to think you are just outright lying about it, you must be a very busy man, what are you doing on here?

And the only "boy" I have is a grown man now, and lives in San Diego--------and doing just great, thank you. And my grandson i greade school qualified for the special schooling that you have to score a 99.5% or higher on the learning ability test to qualify for.

That is another pretty tired response also, hasn't it been explained to you before? Geez, you do know that you will only get a one year break on the players being drafted don't you, and there could be FIVE or more next year, most from his first decent class-----sorry to mention it but he is probably just getting started, and I would bet some of his talent will make it no matter who is coaching them. And be careful not to mention helping Bud on his way AND the JC, that is a big no no, you do remember that he got a late start recruiting AND we were coming off a TWO wins season, with half the class being Joker's recruits.

And it is a GREAT thing that they ALL thought they could learn more from this staff, so they turned down a LOT of money in some cases to return.

Beating a dead horse but we would have been top 25 last year with wins against UF and Ole Miss. Turn the tide on games like that and we could get the respect to be ranked. We’re getting close IMO and it could happen this year with a decent, healthy QB and the ability of the D-line to get some pressure and not allow the opposing QB to have all day to pick us apart.

I think some people don’t realize how handicapped we were on offense last year.

YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER LIFE, MAYBE TRY AND GO TO THE GROCERY STORE AND GET AWAY FROM THIS:
AbsoluteCandidIbizanhound-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Levibooty

Preseason rankings are a joke. Your wildcats and my gamecocks are always undervalued preseason. Tennessee could replace their players with their marching band and still be in the top 25 preseason. That poll is all about brand recognition.

ADVERTISEMENT