ADVERTISEMENT

The dumbest rule change ever. Not even close.

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
I couldn't care less about MLB for decades but they just put a rule in banning the shift. If you think I am wrong then please explain to me why the hell I should have to position a player somewhere you hit the ball twice a year. I was right for 30 years ago for saying FU to them. It's pretty much equivalent to putting 4 wide receivers to one side in football and making the defense play equal defensive backs to both sides of the field.

Baseball is dying a slow death.

Meanwhile the NBA is set to add two new expansion teams in Vegas and Seattle..

I don’t watch much baseball anymore, but I attended an Astros game a couple of weeks ago. The shift was on for a left hand batter. No men on base. It would have been so easy for a Major League batter to get on base, but the batter was more interested in hitting the ball as hard as possible. Hard ground ball to a shifted infielder. Easy out. I’m too much of a traditionalist to understand.

Surely I am not the only one to think of this but what happens when the pitcher reaches the limit for holding a runner on first? Doesn't that mean that the guy on first can take a 59 foot lead?

The NBA could disband tomorrow and I wouldn’t shed a tear. Might even cheer. I don’t think baseball is close to death yet. But like every pro sport…money will eventually ruin it. Just like it’s ruining college sports.
Well there would be no College BBall if that happened so careful what you wish for friend. Also, why would you cheer? How does the NBA negatively affect your daily life?

Reactions: J_Dee
Banning the shift is a way of hiding how piss poor coaches are developing kids these days. That goes from Tee Ball all the way up through MLB. It's atrocious. Let's choose only home run hitters for our team and then get pissed when you have a shift on cause all they can do is his to one side of the field.

Think the pitch clock was long overdue but also don't see the idea behind banning the shift. For God's sakes learn to bunt or hit the other way.

Ends the shift pretty quickly

fumbling the ball into the endzone and out of bounds resulting in the other team getting a touch back is the dumbest rule. no reason the offense should lose possession when they were on the doorstep of scoring a td and give it to the other team is dumb.

both basketball and football have rules regarding defensive position. so many players on the line of scrimmage. defensive 3 second rule on man to man defense. and so on.

"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter." - Crash Davis (aka Kevin Costner) in Bull Durham

I don’t watch much baseball anymore, but I attended an Astros game a couple of weeks ago. The shift was on for a left hand batter. No men on base. It would have been so easy for a Major League batter to get on base, but the batter was more interested in hitting the ball as hard as possible. Hard ground ball to a shifted infielder. Easy out. I’m too much of a traditionalist to understand.
I think about half of Freddie Freeman's base hits are oppo, so I seriously wonder if his .avg will go down next year without the shift.

Surely I am not the only one to think of this but what happens when the pitcher reaches the limit for holding a runner on first? Doesn't that mean that the guy on first can take a 59 foot lead?
I think you will just see a lot more step-offs instead of throws over.

I have never been a fan of the designated hitter rule. Why can't pitchers learn to hit like every other position player.

I don't keep up with it, I follow the standings, but being married to a non-sports fan - I save mine for UK FB and BB. But...

Man on 2nd in extra?

Is it at least an overweight backup catcher?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT