ADVERTISEMENT

The Depth Chart Podcast: Spring Game Review w/ Freddie Maggard

Well after hearing that we should just skip the SEC and move on to the NFL - this is a Superbowl caliber team:)
Seriously these guys do a great job of spotting some really good things that were exhibited by a lot of different players. The only criticism came from the punting which was sort of a no brainer. I do think Freddie and the others made several good points about the improvement of the defensive line, both individually and as a group, except for nose tackle which is still not quite there yet.

Reactions: Levibooty
I agree D we are far ahead on the DL than were we where a year ago. Sadly that was not a very high bar to exceed. I also agree Pringle is coming along but still has a way to go and little help from the back-ups. Hey we're improving and I hope we start to take bigger steps up that hill.

The DL is night and day better than a year ago. I remember those discussions a year ago when we saw how bad the DL was getting beat up. We have some trying to defend it saying we were just playing vanilla defense. That clearly wasn't the case and it showed in the fall.

This year the DL actually looked competitive. It's still debatable as to how much they improved. I'm still not willing to say it is caught up with the SEC but it's not as much of a misfit as it was a year ago. I would still rate run defense up the middle as our biggest weakness. But atleast we aren't as likely to get destroyed by the likes of New Mexico State. This Defense might shut that team out now.

The DL will definitely be better, the question is how much? There is certainly better depth going forward.

I'll say this, he's probably a year or so away, but I'm excited to see Looney play and develop.

That sideline pursuit and run down of King was some Alabama type sh*t at DT...very athletic for somebody that size.

I agree D we are far ahead on the DL than were we where a year ago. Sadly that was not a very high bar to exceed. I also agree Pringle is coming along but still has a way to go and little help from the back-ups. Hey we're improving and I hope we start to take bigger steps up that hill.

Re the NGs, UK has 3 seniors there but only Pringle is anywhere near SEC ready. Bohanna will be here this fall but he's a true fr. Was surprised Cross wasn't at NG in the spring game. Moving forward, UK's looking at JUCOs including a massive 6'6" 360 guy from Hutch CC. It'll be interesting to see where they go next.

Reactions: Levibooty
I guy not mentioned much on here is Taylor - Freddie and the gang were really raving about his size, length and athleticism at the DE spot.

Reactions: mrschwump
I guy not mentioned much on here is Taylor - Freddie and the gang were really raving about his size, length and athleticism at the DE spot.

Have really liked his potential. Came in as a project but could be a huge plus. Seems to be a hard worker who wants to do well.

Imo we will miss Badet more than people are thinking. Still not overly impressed with current wrs and Garrett Johnson's spring was entirely too quiet for a 3 yr starting Sr to be.
Badet (head scratcher) will be sorely missed...Juice will be fine. This is Bakers money year and hopefully the rest of the wr core will step up and fill in the holes. Really hope Walker has a break out year and should be room for a couple of the freshman to grab some pt.

Reactions: jauk11
Good podcast when they stick to football. They are too reluctant to be critical. But, do a good job of identifying positives.

The DL will definitely be better, the question is how much? There is certainly better depth going forward.

I'll say this, he's probably a year or so away, but I'm excited to see Looney play and develop.

That sideline pursuit and run down of King was some Alabama type sh*t at DT...very athletic for somebody that size.
Really liked how looney showed big play potential as well!!
Also think Daniel will make a move at DE this fall!
Across the board we had better athletes, but one guy mia was Dubose. Was he out with a injury? Haven't heard anything on him in a while.

Kash to DE? I think he would be a bit short for what we like at DE. I suspect MLBer is a really good spot for him, unless he gets up to about 280-300, then he might take the NG position :)

Reactions: JPFisher
Kash to DE? I think he would be a bit short for what we like at DE. I suspect MLBer is a really good spot for him, unless he gets up to about 280-300, then he might take the NG position :)
I meant Kengera Daniel.
Thought he was a good get 2 years ago and still expect him to make a impact soon!
Was also wondering what became of Dubose? Haven't heard anything lately.

ADVERTISEMENT