ADVERTISEMENT

The Bowden Factor

dyersburgcatfan

Sophomore
Jan 14, 2013
What we gain with Bowden behind center: a QB who really thinks we're going to win. And one who then believes he can make it happen. And one whose winning attitude rubs off on the team and makes everyone else play harder.

While I sit here hoping we can stay close to GA, but in my gut thinking we will lose, Bowden sits there chomping at the bit really believing we are going to shock the FB world next Saturday. And he makes everyone around him believe it too.

His leadership and the way the players responded to him was the most promising part imo.

180 from the usc game where we looked like we were just trying to hang in there till the horn went off. Players had zero confidence we were winning that game. Not sure if it was because they knew how ineffective Smith was in practice or what

My question is if the offensive success continues do we change the way recruit quarterbacks? Go with an athlete and develop him into a passer?

LB has become a true leader. I think that the Bowden X factor is the only real chance we have versus GA right now without TW. I really believe that he gives us a chance to win!

Frankly, I think the Bowden X factor is the chance we have to win anything outside of Ut-Martin or Vandy.

I like Smith on his - A game, but I’m not sure he is built to withstand the rigors of SEC football. If not, we may not see much more of his A game.

I would like to see Bowden start Saturday. See if he can succeed with a legit SEC defense opposing him on the road. Also, see how well our own defense can hold UGA at bay. Our D seems to get fired up when our offense is being successful. Take away last Saturday's mess up on the 2nd play of the game, they played a pretty inspired game.

Not to rain on the LB parade, but we did have to come from behind and hang on to beat Arkansas at home, the worst team in the SEC (Vandy may argue with that).

I agree, LB has that winning attitude and I love to watch him, feeling like good things will happen every time he touches the ball.

Let's hope that it represents a turn-around for the downward spiral we were in. A strong showing at Ga. will go a long way towards saving the season.

Go Cats!

Reactions: AustinTXCat
He is one of a kind....

Sorry he just is.....

:flushed:

Definitely a rare talent.

New They are going to have to let him throw a little more to keep them honest or they will just stack the box.

Agreed. Think we'll see wrinkles in the passing game vs UGA. Lynn obviously has a much better handle on the passing game than any of us expected. Throwing the ball, especially early, will really surprise UGA and will be our only chance.

When you have an athlete like Bowden... you have to go with him. You could sense how frustrated he was in previous games when he didn't get enough touches. He just believes he can be the turning point for this team. He also knows he has a very supportive cast in his teammates... and they respect his faith in them and his winning drive. Yes, we had to come from behind... but that's the point. We DID come from behind. And ARKY may be a bad team, but they are not as bad as last year and not as bad as they were at the start of the season. And now Bowden has one game under his belt. I think we're in for one great dog/ cat fight in Athens if Bowden starts at QB. Hope the Cats come clawing out on top.

Definitely a rare talent.

Agreed. Think we'll see wrinkles in the passing game vs UGA. Lynn obviously has a much better handle on the passing game than any of us expected. Throwing the ball, especially early, will really surprise UGA and will be our only chance.
When Bowden scrambles just slightly as if he is going to take off running, the LBs instinctively take a step or two in his direction leaving TEs and receivers in the middle with a passing window. Bowden worked that to perfection one or two times last Sat.

Not to rain on the LB parade, but we did have to come from behind and hang on to beat Arkansas at home, the worst team in the SEC (Vandy may argue with that).

I agree, LB has that winning attitude and I love to watch him, feeling like good things will happen every time he touches the ball.

Let's hope that it represents a turn-around for the downward spiral we were in. A strong showing at Ga. will go a long way towards saving the season.

Go Cats!
True but it was his first start at QB

Reactions: mattrudd and UKUGA
What we gain with Bowden behind center: a QB who really thinks we're going to win. And one who then believes he can make it happen. And one whose winning attitude rubs off on the team and makes everyone else play harder.

While I sit here hoping we can stay close to GA, but in my gut thinking we will lose, Bowden sits there chomping at the bit really believing we are going to shock the FB world next Saturday. And he makes everyone around him believe it too.
Well said. It was infectious to see him smiling and having fun. It really helps.

They are going to have to let him throw a little more to keep them honest or they will just stack the box.

LB is so elusive, he will still make some huge plays from over pursuit by defense and also he is really deceptive handling the ball in option game.
I think he throws better than people give him credit for. No, he's not a stand in the pocket Couch-type but he's adequate and hopefully they'll let him throw more as we move forward. Target Wagner/Upshaw, a few jet sweeps mixed in, a fade here and there and you may have an effective, although modest, passing game.

Very true. Hope he and the staff can perfect the packages that will give him the best chance for success.

I wonder, if he's healthy, would the staff send SS in some to "mix it up"?
Its possible but I would only do it if the O stalled under Bowden.

And with Sawyer at QB we got manhandled by a bad Miss St team and blown out by a mediocre South Carolina team (where he went 11 of 32 for 90 yards).

Hate to tell ya, we weren’t beating Arkansas, no matter how bad, with Sawyer at QB. Hate to inform some of you all but Miss St and S. Car are pretty dang bad/mediocre themselves, and our offense looked absolutely awful against them. Not particularly sure why some of you think Miss St and S. Car are so much better than Arkansas. I’ve got news for you, there’s not a whole lot of difference between the three. They’re all bad/mediocre teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattrudd and UKUGA
Bowden is a more electric runner than either Wilson or Johnson were. With him back there it forces the defense to spread out more, if not in actual alignment, at least mentally ìn order to try to beat him on the edge. That momentary mental hesitation helps the OL open up the running lanes in the middle and keeps the run D guessing where the attack is going to be.

Bowden is a more electric runner than either Wilson or Johnson were. With him back there it forces the defense to spread out more, if not in actual alignment, at least mentally ìn order to try to beat him on the edge. That momentary mental hesitation helps the OL open up the running lanes in the middle and keeps the run D guessing where the attack is going to be.
Seriously arguing South Carolina is the same as Arkansas?

Reactions: aikenite4uk
And with Sawyer at QB we got manhandled by a bad Miss St team and blown out by a mediocre South Carolina team (where he went 11 of 32 for 90 yards).

Hate to tell ya, we weren’t beating Arkansas, no matter how bad, with Sawyer at QB. Hate to inform some of you all but Miss St and S. Car are pretty dang bad/mediocre themselves, and our offense looked absolutely awful against them. Not particularly sure why some of you think Miss St and S. Car are so much better than Arkansas. I’ve got news for you, there’s not a whole lot of difference between the three. They’re all bad/mediocre teams.
I'd like to think we've seen very little of a completely healthy SS. You're basing your opinion of Smith based on a bad wrist and elbow.

We need to keep an open mind on SS and not throw him out until we've seen him healthy, that's all. Not taking anything against LB, but good SEC defenses may present more challenges than Arky did.

Reactions: Poetax
What we gain with Bowden behind center: a QB who really thinks we're going to win. And one who then believes he can make it happen. And one whose winning attitude rubs off on the team and makes everyone.

He wants to win badly and he hates to lose, that’s why he says things off the cuff after a loss while reading online negativity.

Huh? I never mentioned South Carolina. SC is a better team than Arkansas. They just beat UGA. And they beat us pretty soundly.
This comment was just posted...not by you ...which is not even close to reality IMO. I'm glad we won...but Arkansas is a bad team (Not won a SEC game in going on 3 years, beaten solidly by San Jose St, hung on vs. Portland St, etc..). If some think running Bowden out there is going to be a great idea...let's see what we put on the boards vs. UGA and may be re-evaluate that notion.

"Hate to tell ya, we weren’t beating Arkansas, no matter how bad, with Sawyer at QB. Hate to inform some of you all but Miss St and S. Car are pretty dang bad/mediocre themselves, and our offense looked absolutely awful against them. Not particularly sure why some of you think Miss St and S. Car are so much better than Arkansas. I’ve got news for you, there’s not a whole lot of difference between the three. They’re all bad/mediocre teams."

I would like to see Bowden start Saturday. See if he can succeed with a legit SEC defense opposing him on the road. Also, see how well our own defense can hold UGA at bay. Our D seems to get fired up when our offense is being successful. Take away last Saturday's mess up on the 2nd play of the game, they played a pretty inspired game.
I agree WHOLE HEARTEDLY with this!!!!

This comment was just posted...not by you ...which is not even close to reality IMO. I'm glad we won...but Arkansas is a bad team (Not won a SEC game in going on 3 years, beaten solidly by San Jose St, hung on vs. Portland St, etc..). If some think running Bowden out there is going to be a great idea...let's see what we put on the boards vs. UGA and may be re-evaluate that notion.

"Hate to tell ya, we weren’t beating Arkansas, no matter how bad, with Sawyer at QB. Hate to inform some of you all but Miss St and S. Car are pretty dang bad/mediocre themselves, and our offense looked absolutely awful against them. Not particularly sure why some of you think Miss St and S. Car are so much better than Arkansas. I’ve got news for you, there’s not a whole lot of difference between the three. They’re all bad/mediocre teams."
Judging LB vs GA and basing what's left for this season is wrong sided. GA has huge advantages over UK at about every position on the field. UK could lose badly vs GA(and I think they will) but still finish pretty strong with LB at QB. It's actually about all that's left so get used it.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I'd like to think we've seen very little of a completely healthy SS. You're basing your opinion of Smith based on a bad wrist and elbow.

We need to keep an open mind on SS and not throw him out until we've seen him healthy, that's all. Not taking anything against LB, but good SEC defenses may present more challenges than Arky did.

This is correct. If anybody with football sense saw what he was doing against Florida in that first half, knows he was the QB we needed to beat them. Sure, he may be mistake prone but the guy made some serious throws LB would NEVER be able to do. You're just not going to get the WR's any action if you're not able to get them some passes. Wagner, I think maybe got 2 balls thrown his way, one which was a defensive PI of course. LB is great at everything else except for making the tough passes that SS can do. Eventually, teams that are really good are going to challenge LB to beat them at throwing the ball. In my opinion, he just doesn't possess the arm to do that. We're going with LB now cause we don't have a choice. We're going along for the ride.

Reactions: CatEye2010
Not only has SS been hurt. They haven't stuck with the run with him in the game. Get the kid healthy and establish a run game. Then you can pass judgment on him.

Go Cats!

You’re right we were down 13-0.. then proceeded to outscore Ark 24-7 also with taking a knee at the 10 yrd line just under 2 mins left. Or would have been 31-7.. once they figured out what worked they moved the ball and scored 24 pts in the last 2.5 qrts. Not saying they will do it against Georgia, but it does give hope for the rest of the season.

While a lot are saying defenses will adjust to LB at QB. Why can’t Lynn improve over the year too. Can’t he get better playing the QB position as he gets more snaps? We think that its so for other QB’s why not Lynn?

Hopefully our coaches will do what gives us the best chance for a win. I will defer to their better judgment.

I was at the game Saturday (usually get up to Lexington once a year), and you could visibly see the difference in team intensity with Bowden running the offense. Maybe defenses will in fact figure out how to stop him, but until they do I think we should run with Bowden.

But if Stoops thinks Smith is the best option,... well, he's the coach. Im just a fan who goes by the eye test and doesn't know much about the intricacies of x's and o's.

I have to admit that I’m worried about the UGA game. I think LB gives us the best chance, but it is still a slim chance. My concern is LB getting hurt. If Smith is healthy, I’d almost rather see him at QB making short, quick passes and handing off to RB’s. Just keep whoever we have at QB upright in this game.
Against everybody else we play, I feel like we have a legitimate chance to win, but that changes if LB is hurt.

You’re right we were down 13-0.. then proceeded to outscore Ark 24-7 also with taking a knee at the 10 yrd line just under 2 mins left. Or would have been 31-7.. once they figured out what worked they moved the ball and scored 24 pts in the last 2.5 qrts. Not saying they will do it against Georgia, but it does give hope for the rest of the season.

While a lot are saying defenses will adjust to LB at QB. Why can’t Lynn improve over the year too. Can’t he get better playing the QB position as he gets more snaps? We think that its so for other QB’s why not Lynn?

Not saying he couldn't improve over the year, but he's only playing QB out of necessity. He won't be playing that position next year. We need him more at WR to be the all purpose guy when can still give the ball to more than what we have been doing before SS got hurt. With LB at QB, our WR's are not in the game other than to run block. Wagner was non-existent in the Arky game other than that PI called. He may come out firing in the Georgia game, who knows. The game plan is simplified to suit his talents, but it's not for his passing. I'm just optimistic that we can be 7 wins and I'll be happy with the that this year.

Hopefully LB is the QB and is used as one. Jordan Rogers was spot on - spread the field put him at QB and let him take 3 step drops - the lanes just open up.
Way to much Wildcat - he can throw - we win both Carolina and Miss St if he was QB instead we played a injured QB who just throws it up for grabs.

Reactions: mattrudd
I sincerely hope I’m wrong about this. If so, I’ll have absolutely no problem admitting it.

He’s a wide receiver. He’s a wide receiver for a reason. Arkansas is bad. What I foresee is his effectiveness will decrease as teams understand his tendencies and passing limitations. All of this is predictable. If so, there will be a school of people here that won’t accept obvious truth, and when the offense bogs down with B at QB, will instead choose to believe that Stoops or Gran or both must be idiots. Which means this place will be overrun with bitching and moaning.

If I’m wrong, I’ll say so. And I hope that’s the case.

I have to admit that I’m worried about the UGA game. I think LB gives us the best chance, but it is still a slim chance. My concern is LB getting hurt. If Smith is healthy, I’d almost rather see him at QB making short, quick passes and handing off to RB’s. Just keep whoever we have at QB upright in this game.
Against everybody else we play, I feel like we have a legitimate chance to win, but that changes if LB is hurt.
Yeah, I'd hate to see him get hurt....if the game starts to get out of hand, we should sub in Smith or Wood and save Lynn for a game we can win.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT