ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Lead has Diallo at #3 and Knox at #8 in top 50 "players" in college basketball

KWilt43atbuzz

All-American
Nov 18, 2012
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...wo-of-the-best-players-in-college-basketball/

There was a very good chance Kentucky wouldn't have either of these guys going into the 2017-2018 season. However, Diallo withdrew his name from the NBA draft at literally the last second and Knox shocked the college basketball world when he chose UK over Duke and UNC.

You guys that say this year's recruiting class, which statistically is the GOAT, lacks transcendent super star power ala Davis or Wall need to get a clue.

Diallo and Knox are both lotto picks right now.

I can't, in good faith, say this class is better on paper than 2013 or better in sheer talent than 2009... at least not yet.

Reactions: Col. Angus
You guys that say this year's recruiting class, which statistically is the GOAT, lacks transcendent super star power ala Davis or Wall need to get a clue.

AD and Wall were both the undisputed #1 overall pick in he NBA draft. Diallo was eligible, and was late first round at best.

This class is good. But you're the one that needs to get a clue. I won't hold my breath.

AD and Wall were both the undisputed #1 overall pick in he NBA draft. Diallo was eligible, and was late first round at best.

This class is good. But you're the one that needs to get a clue. I won't hold my breath.

They became that. Not that they were undisputed #1 before the season.

I don't think Diallo will be top 3 player in college either. That seems a little far fetched.

Reactions: Mike-D
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...wo-of-the-best-players-in-college-basketball/

There was a very good chance Kentucky wouldn't have either of these guys going into the 2017-2018 season. However, Diallo withdrew his name from the NBA draft at literally the last second and Knox shocked the college basketball world when he chose UK over Duke and UNC.

Hey buddy- can you refresh my memory of your comments right after the EE loss to UNC?

Also- while this is an incredible recruiting class- it's not the "GOAT" or at least not remotely able to label it that yet.

I don't think Diallo will be top 3 player in college either. That seems a little far fetched.

Ehh, Wall and AD (especially wall ) was a pretty unanimous pick to be the #1 overall draft pick

He was absolutely a transcendent player. Insane amount of hype coming in to college

Ehh, Wall and AD (especially wall ) was a pretty unanimous pick to be the #1 overall draft pick

He was absolutely a transcendent player. Insane amount of hype coming in to college

Andrew Drummond, Harrison Barnes, and Davis were battling for that #1 spot.

I forgot who Wall was battling for, but he wasn't undisputed either.

By end of season both held an undisputed position at #1 spot.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

Harrison Barnes was in Brandon Knight's class, not Davis's. Everyone knew Wall was #1, and he was talked by most to be the undisputed #1 pick except for ESPN's terrible rankings from then.

There was talk about Davis, Drummond, and Rivers (lol) being the best of the class.

Hmmm... Barnes def wasn't in AD's class ...

Wall was for the most part thought to be an undisputed #1 pick

And most also agreed Davis would be #1

At least from what I remember

Avery Bradley lmao.

Everyone was obsessed with Evan Turner and possibly Jeremy Lin? (some Harvard PG) that it kept Wall from being unanimous AA/award winner

Reactions: WildMoon
So according to this, UK has 2 of the best players in all of college basketball on their team next season?

Wow lol, Did you even read the article ...?

Yes. They said Diallo and Knox are two of the best players in college basketball. So that means, in their opinion, UK has 2 of the best players in college basketball this season. Only one other team, Arizona, has 2 players on the list. Hard to not pick the Cats to go really far when they have 2 of the top players in college B ball.

Yes. They said Diallo and Knox are two of the best players in college basketball. So that means, in their opinion, UK has 2 of the best players in college basketball this season. Only one other team, Arizona, has 2 players on the list. Hard to not pick the Cats to go really far when they have 2 of the top players in college B ball.

Then why would you ask the exact question you clearly (as you posted ) have the answer to.

This whole trying to rile people up/ get attention / be a devils advocate shtick is kinda getting old :/

Avery Bradley lmao.

Everyone was obsessed with Evan Turner and possibly Jeremy Lin? (some Harvard PG) that it kept Wall from being unanimous AA/award winner

I forgot the dudes name but I think he went to Georgia tech? He got drafted higher than cousins as well. I think preseason he was hyped up as high as wall.

I don't buy it. I'm just not overly impressed with Diallo. Wasn't when he was in high school and wasn't when he played this summer.

I actually like PJ Washingtons game the best of all the freshman. I think he fits the college game a little better. Diallo and Knox need to make shots to be great. I don't think that's the case with Washington.

What everyone forgets is the huge exodus of talent from college basketball last year.

The best returnees are probably Grayson Allen, Miles Bridges and Joel Berry. Anyone scared of those guys? More than likely, the best players in the country are going to be freshmen - Porter, Ayton, Sexton, Bamba - maybe Bagley.

I think our guys stack up pretty well.

What everyone forgets is the huge exodus of talent from college basketball last year.

The best returnees are probably Grayson Allen, Miles Bridges and Joel Berry. Anyone scared of those guys? More than likely, the best players in the country are going to be freshmen - Porter, Ayton, Sexton, Bamba - maybe Bagley.

I think our guys stack up pretty well.
Very good point.

I forgot who Wall was battling for, but he wasn't unanimous

Wall battled Evan Turner and Boogie and he was absolutely the far and away number one pick.

How anyone doesn't remember Wall with all that hype floors me. A.D. was only questioned because his team was terrible and he didn't play in all the huge AAU games. Hes was definitely a favorite for number one due to his insane growth and after the UNC game it was his easy.

Harrison Barnes was in Brandon Knight's class, not Davis's. Everyone knew Wall was #1, and he was talked by most to be the undisputed #1 pick except for ESPN's terrible rankings from then.

There was talk about Davis, Drummond, and Rivers (lol) being the best of the class.

Harrison Barnes left after sophomore season, not freshman season.

Reactions: Mr_GG
I think some of you are completely confused about my comment.

Yes, John Wall and AD was undisputed #1 pick by end of the season. I never once disagreed with that. I also never disagreed that AD and John wall were FAVORITES in becoming top draft picks.

My comment is in regards to the word "undisputed". How can John Wall be considered undisputed when he wasn't even ranked #1 in some recruiting service. He quickly became the #1 draft prospect from his strong start.

Also, keep in mind if you asked many UK fan at the end of the season many ON HERE were arguing Boogie should be #1 pick considering his per minute stat base were one of the best in history of college basketball. Which wasn't really all that insane either since Boogie is considered the best big man in NBA right now.

Also Harrison Barnes wasn't OaD, he stayed for sophomore year and the hype of him were equally insane. Only to be bitch slapped by AD and his amazing performance.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Harrison Barnes left after sophomore season, not freshman season.

I thought you were talking about where those guys were ranked in their own HS class / not their preseason draft rankings is why I said that. It is funny to think that there was a discussion between AD and Barnes being the #1 pick now tho lol

I think some of you are completely confused about my comment.

Yes, John Wall and AD was undisputed #1 pick by end of the season. I never once disagreed with that. I also never disagreed that AD and John wall were FAVORITES in becoming top draft picks.

My comment is in regards to the word "undisputed". How can John Wall be considered undisputed when he wasn't even ranked #1 in some recruiting service. He quickly became the #1 draft prospect from his strong start.

Also, keep in mind if you asked many UK fan at the end of the season many ON HERE were arguing Boogie should be #1 pick considering his per minute stat base were one of the best in history of college basketball. Which wasn't really all that insane either since Boogie is considered the best big man in NBA right now.

Also Harrison Barnes wasn't OaD, he stayed for sophomore year and the hype of him were equally insane. Only to be bitch slapped by AD and his amazing performance.

Go look at the Wayback Machine...JW was number 1 on Draft Express before the season ever started.

Maybe the word undisputed isn't right, but he was nearly consensus even before the season, and he only solidified that as the season played out.

Also, there's a correlation between ratings services and draft projections, but they aren't the same thing.

One thing about Wall was that he shot up the rankings late. Sometimes it's hard to supplant people from the rankings when they've been there a while. And sometimes analysts are trying to be cute or make their favorite coach happy.

I'd still take Cousins over Wall in the draft.

I felt that way for a long time but over the last few seasons Wall has elevated his game to a point I wasn't sure he would. After Westbrook I think he has a strong argument for the best point guard in the league.

Cousins has gotten better too. But he still loafs on defense, and pouts way too often for going on his 8th year in the league. He's gotten worlds better offensively though. But attitude matters. Wall is a natural leader.

The 3 most complete big men in the league are all UK guys.

Reactions: chroix

John Wall and Anthony Davis both entered their freshman seasons as the predicted #1 pick in each of their drafts.

Reactions: Aike
I felt that way for a long time but over the last few seasons Wall has elevated his game to a point I wasn't sure he would. After Westbrook I think he has a strong argument for the best point guard in the league.

Cousins has gotten better too. But he still loafs on defense, and pouts way too often for going on his 8th year in the league. He's gotten worlds better offensively though. But attitude matters. Wall is a natural leader.

The 3 most complete big men in the league are all UK guys.

This is true. But I would say this year mostly. Wall wasn't 100% last couple season.

He really took off this year so it's gotten harder to tell.

However, what do you think would have happened if cousin went to other team? I wonder.

I forgot the dudes name but I think he went to Georgia tech? He got drafted higher than cousins as well. I think preseason he was hyped up as high as wall.
Derrick Favors possibly then. That would be my guess

To question Wall as the number one pick going into the 2010 draft is a bit revisionist. Though the media may have lamented Evan Turner from Ohio State as the top choice, because he was more 'seasoned,' there were never any actual league guys expressing this opinion.

Wall was called a once in a generation point guard coming out of high school.

I remember him being projected as the #1 pick before he stepped on campus and it never really changed. At least that's how I remember it.

I never took anything about Evan Turner getting picked #1 seriously. I think any of that was just pre draft buzz solely for the purpose of building suspense.

Favors did get more hype than Cousins. he was ranked higher I think, he was higher in mocks coming into college too. Cousins started off listed as a late first rounder.

His per 40 numbers as a freshman were remarkable though.

2017 (although we need to judge them in April) Kevin Knox is not going to be a star, he is going to be a Super Star. He is exactly what the NBA has changed to. Kevin Durant type player. Knox could be the Naismith player of the year, and the number 1 pick in the draft. Remember this, Karl Anthony Townes was ranked 5th coming out of high school (clearly a mistake), and ended up being the #1 pick in the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT