ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic on Sacha Killeya-Jones - Kentucky is not for everyone....

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
and which one of you is the 30 year old belligerent drunk guy? heh. Won't link it as it's behind a wall...And before anyone jumps on the kid for these observations, note the bold sentence.

"The first time Sacha Killeya-Jones moved into his Kentucky dormitory, his father recalls watching a couple of fans who were waiting outside promptly approach for an autograph. Reggie Jones had heard plenty of stories about how much UK fans love their basketball team. Before his son signed with the Cats, they’d also been warned that Kentucky isn’t for everybody.

Hearing it and experiencing it turned out to be two very different things for Killeya-Jones. There were the well-meaning restaurant managers who would approach his table to talk basketball. The people who, even though they did not come up to him, would sneak or take pictures. The “I don’t mean to disturb you,” fans who would nevertheless impose on his time. And that one time a drunk man in his 30s came up to Killeya-Jones, his dad and little brother while they were eating wings, promising in a profanity-laced, word-slurring diatribe that he could help “take his game to another level.”

Oh, and there was the time at the McDonald’s All-America game. After posting on Twitter a picture of his UK recruiting class “throwing their L’s down” as a diss toward Louisville, a user sent a response picture wearing a Cardinals’ pullover and holding a gun up to a UK stuffed animal with the message that he’d get “put in a body bag” for trying that in Louisville.

That’s the part of being at Kentucky the 6-foot-11 forward does not miss at all. The spotlight began as kind of a cool feeling when fans lined up the length of the court to cop an autograph when he was just visiting as a five-star recruit. But it soon turned overwhelming, as he felt like he lost any pretense of privacy and the ability to be a regular college student. The Chapel Hill, N.C. native says now he has no regrets from spending the past two seasons at Kentucky. But in transferring to N.C. State he’s found a comfort level he never quite achieved in Lexington. He’s back home, reveling in his relative anonymity while sitting out this season as a transfer.

“When you go out (in Raleigh), not everyone is going to recognize you and know your first, middle and last name as soon as they see you,” Killeya-Jones says. “You go somewhere, they might recognize you’re a basketball player, but you might have more friendly conversations and less interactions with, like, crazed fans and stuff like that.”....

Further, just noticed this in the article:

“I don’t have a single regret at all; I’d say they made me a lot better,” Killeya-Jones says. “I’m not anywhere close to the same player I was in high school. I’m so much of a better player since I got there in terms of my toughness, physicality, my mental has gotten a lot stronger. I just feel like a grown player and a veteran in college basketball at this point.”

“I don’t have a single regret at all; I’d say they made me a lot better,” Killeya-Jones says. “I’m not anywhere close to the same player I was in high school. I’m so much of a better player since I got there in terms of my toughness, physicality, my mental has gotten a lot stronger. I just feel like a grown player and a veteran in college basketball at this point.”
Cool. Kentucky is certainly not for everyone, including coaches.

I always liked SKJ, and wanted him to come back. However, after reading that, I think everything worked out best for both parties. We landed Travis and signed Montgomery, and SKJ gets to live his college life and still play ball. I hope he does well and picks up some wins over duke, unc, and ul during his time at nc st.

Kentucky is truly not for everyone.

KU prepares you for success at the next level whether it be pro ball or a pro in life. Cal always says, I can’t hide you. He’s dead right. The two edged sword for any big time program is high expectations without anonymity. UK is no different than Alabama or Ohio State football. The same fans who scrutinize and follow you around the mall are the same ones who are at the airport to welcome you home at 2:00 am whether you win or lose.
I think Killeya-Jones made the best decision for himself for the short term but UK brings out the very best or the faults in their games and Psyches. Either way he has rightfully acknowledged that being in Lexington has been for the betterment of his life. I like him and I hope for him great success both in the ACC and at the next level of life.

If you're here, you're gonna need some alpha dog in you. He doesn't, and that's ok, not a single thing wrong with that. But as much we get tired of Cal saying it, he really needs to. It's not for everyone.

KU prepares you for success at the next level whether it be pro ball or a pro in life. Cal always says, I can’t hide you. He’s dead right. The two edged sword for any big time program is high expectations without anonymity. UK is no different than Alabama or Ohio State football. The same fans who scrutinize and follow you around the mall are the same ones who are at the airport to welcome you home at 2:00 am whether you win or lose.
I think Killeya-Jones made the best decision for himself for the short term but UK brings out the very best or the faults in their games and Psyches. Either way he has rightfully acknowledged that being in Lexington has been for the betterment of his life. I like him and I hope for him great success both in the ACC and at the next level of life.

KU???

I always liked SKJ, and wanted him to come back. However, after reading that, I think everything worked out best for both parties. We landed Travis and signed Montgomery, and SKJ gets to live his college life and still play ball. I hope he does well and picks up some wins over duke, unc, and ul during his time at nc st.

Kentucky is truly not for everyone.
Ditto

He's a kid. He's young and shortsighted. He doesn't realize all the benefits a player at UK reaps, most of which are a byproduct of that fan passion he's so quick to dismiss as "crazed." He'll figure it out someday. Still wish him well.

So UK isn't for everybody and he's happy--but he didn't necessarily like that nobody noticed him or forgot about him--so he did an interview to get attention and had to bring up Kentucky instead of his new start at NC State. This sums up too many young men these days. Go on the court, prove it, and everyone will notice. As for the stuff off the court, that crap happens to any player who attends a big time program or is a big time player. Same guys who hate the attention want followers on social media, and love to draw attention to themselves.

Sounds to me like this kid should've stayed committed to UVA. He'd have lived in obscurity and been a perfect fit for that house of dull that bores everyone and preaches how they "do things the right way".

So UK isn't for everybody and he's happy--but he didn't necessarily like that nobody noticed him or forgot about him--so he did an interview to get attention and had to bring up Kentucky instead of his new start at NC State. This sums up too many young men these days. Go on the court, prove it, and everyone will notice. As for the stuff off the court, that crap happens to any player who attends a big time program or is a big time player. Same guys who hate the attention want followers on social media, and love to draw attention to themselves.

Sounds to me like this kid should've stayed committed to UVA. He'd have lived in obscurity and been a perfect fit for that house of dull that bores everyone and preaches how they "do things the right way".

You've taken this article way out of context. He's not trying to draw attention by talking about UK at all. Just telling his story and some reasons he left and why he feels more comfortable at NC State. Zero issues with that.

You've taken this article way out of context. He's not trying to draw attention by talking about UK at all. Just telling his story and some reasons he left and why he feels more comfortable at NC State. Zero issues with that.
He didn’t turn down the alinterbiew so obviously he was digging at least a little attention. Like RDF said he should have stayed committed to UVA. He probably could have walked through campus and not even been bothered.

Kentucky gets your prepared for the pros in more ways than just on the court.

What I've been told of the family and SKJ, I'm glad for BBN he's gone and this was a look at me thing. He didn't think he'd get selected to the McDonald's game if he stayed with UVA, he/family didn't care for lack of "hype" around his recruitment and wanted a more high profile program. Cal doesn't BS people, he's going to give it to you straight, so when things don't work out, you can't say you weren't warned what you got into. So this was an update on SKJ because.....???

This just shows the coddled mindset of some of these players. They want it all.

They want to be pros today
but they want to be paid immediately
they want the fame
but they want to be left alone

and on and on and on.

If you cant handle Kentucky fans and the recognition they bring, then hang it up. The NBA is way worse and no one is going to care if you're hounded.

Out of all of the great interactions I'm sure he had with the fans, he decided to look at one case of some 30 year old drunk being a dumbass. Guys like Sky, Mashburn, Dell, Wall etc would have just ignored it, and embraced all of the benefits which are many. Playing at UK pays off later in life, just ask guys who have made a career out of their UK experience outside of pro ball.

I said last year and was killed for it that I didn't understand why SKJ wasn't transferring. I knew he went UK material. All of these excuses are just that, have fun in no mans land at the other program of North Carolina.

Also, this just shows how much of a punk he is, with some respect. He knows Cal isn't going to come out and crush him for the things he did wrong (lazy), so he punches UK knowing he's safe.

Cal could come out and hammer this kid, hammer his parents, and throw it in the wash with the others. But he won't.

…"And that one time a drunk man in his 30s came up to Killeya-Jones, his dad and little brother while they were eating wings, promising in a profanity-laced, word-slurring diatribe that he could help “take his game to another level".

Well I would have if he'd have just quit stuffing the damn wings into his mouth, come over to my Gorilla goal at my trailer and listened to me for one second!!!!!!!

Dude's softer than Charmin.
th

This just shows the coddled mindset of some of these players. They want it all.

They want to be pros today
but they want to be paid immediately
they want the fame
but they want to be left alone

and on and on and on.

If you cant handle Kentucky fans and the recognition they bring, then hang it up. The NBA is way worse and no one is going to care if you're hounded.

Out of all of the great interactions I'm sure he had with the fans, he decided to look at one case of some 30 year old drunk being a dumbass. Guys like Sky, Mashburn, Dell, Wall etc would have just ignored it, and embraced all of the benefits which are many. Playing at UK pays off later in life, just ask guys who have made a career out of their UK experience outside of pro ball.

I said last year and was killed for it that I didn't understand why SKJ wasn't transferring. I knew he went UK material. All of these excuses are just that, have fun in no mans land at the other program of North Carolina.

No doubt. Wait till the fans in a place like Philly or New York run into him on the street if he even makes it to the NBA and has a bad game. They will be threatening to stuff wings up his azz, not give him pointers. What a pus.
th

Dont care what anyone says...thats not cool to throw your former schools fans and stuff under the bus as an excuse for your poor performance which is the whole reason for his comments and this artical. What a douche. Even if u feel that way u dont say it...he can kiss my ass ...

You know "Kentucky is not for everybody" did not start with Coach Calipari. It has been like that ever since I started following the Cats in the Fabulous Five years. A long, long time ago.

Bob Brannum made All American at UK then transferred and made All American at Michigan State. Even Joe B Hall transferred from UK. This is a list of players who have transferred from UK. Many were All American type players. The list is long and impressive. Kentucky is not for everybody.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/playertransferfromuk.html

You know "Kentucky is not for everybody" did not start with Coach Calipari. It has been like that ever since I started following the Cats in the Fabulous Five years. A long, long time ago.

Bob Brannum made All American at UK then transferred and made All American at Michigan State. Even Joe B Hall transferred from UK. This is a list of players who have transferred from UK. Many were All American type players. The list is long and impressive. Kentucky is not for everybody.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/playertransferfromuk.html

Exactly right.

I also think Cal mishandled the "set for life" routine with Duke. Duke doesn't set anyone for life, half of the state doesn't even like Duke. They aren't the state program.

Kentucky has always bee there for their players long after they're gone. K imitates UK, why let him have that? Cal should have gone in a different route.

UK is the dominant program with the most fanatic base, if you want to succeed in a state after basketball, there's no better program than here.

I appreciate some of the, albeit minor, contributions he made here. I believe he had a big dunk in the SEC Tournament. If I remember right, he crammed one in in the Louisville game as well.

With that said, the kid never had the mental fortitude to make it here. The story just confirms that. I don't wish ill will on him, but some of the quotes left me with a bad taste in my mouth. For every one negative interaction he had here, I'm sure he had 99 that were positive. I really don't understand him even bringing that story about the drunk fan into the spotlight. The more I think about it the more it annoys me.

He was in over his head the moment he got here. The talent level wasn't quite there. You could see Cal was extremely frustrated with him. I think it was best for both parties that he left, particularly UK.

Last edited:
If you're here, you're gonna need some alpha dog in you. He doesn't, and that's ok, not a single thing wrong with that. But as much we get tired of Cal saying it, he really needs to. It's not for everyone.

I bet a ton of the recruits we have missed on were identified to have similar thoughts and were not pursued like we thought they were.

I hope Wiseman reads this. He has the skills, but he needs what UK taught SKJ. As for the constant celebrity, he will not be put in the spotlight nearly as much at UK as he would at Memphis. They expect him to be the savior and if he isn't, they will turn on him. At UK, he will be surrounded by so much talent, that the pressure to perform will actually be off him, and he can concentrate on getting better, before heading to the league.

Reactions: Mojocat
"Oh, and there was the time at the McDonald’s All-America game. After posting on Twitter a picture of his UK recruiting class “throwing their L’s down” as a diss toward Louisville, a user sent a response picture wearing a Cardinals’ pullover and holding a gun up to a UK stuffed animal with the message that he’d get “put in a body bag” for trying that in Louisville."

200.gif

Reactions: musrat59
I subscribe to the Athletic. It’s clear that not a lot of Kentucky fans do.

I saw the intro to the article as a way to jab at Kentucky fans. Simple as that. These are the same fans who guys like John Wall, Anthony Davis, and Julius Randle absolutely love.

The difference is clear. Good players versus disappointing player.

Now, back to my original point. I’m curious if the Athletic is going to hire a UK beat writer to generate subscription revenue. For now, their college basketball staff (Seth Davis, Dana O’Neil, etc) do nothing to inspire me.

I really hope they resist the urge to just take digs at UK, and instead actually approach Kentucky basketball with a similar journalistic integrity and passion that they have used to build a loyal and growing base of support.

I really liked SKJ coming out of high school I thought he was the perfect modern 4 man. Seemed to have a nice jumper. He is a year young for his class but he just seemed to
Not get too much better while he was here. Maybe being closer to Home will change that for him. I still think he has a great shot to play pro ball with his skill set

Reactions: Cindog28
I am not going to say anything bad about SKJ and there is nothing in that article I have an issue with as everything he said was spot on - UK is not for everyone. If you aren't willing to trade losing your privacy somewhat for being coached by one of the 3-4 best coaches of the last 20 years in CBB then go somewhere else. Nothing wrong with that. He just didn't have the toughness Cal asked for. That is why Richards played over him , along with the fact he has 3x the talent.I think he will be one of the top 3 scorers on NC st in 2 years but probably won't ever be a pro. Nothing wrong with that though.

ADVERTISEMENT