ADVERTISEMENT

The 3 that most impressed you in the Bahamas trip?

UK2005_24

Junior
May 31, 2004
Honestly this is hard to even pick 3 because they all impressed in some sort of way. But for me it was Herro, PJ and Richards... First is Herro who showed he isn't just a shooter but a flat out scorer that is a high basketball IQ playmaker as well. Second was PJ who came in better shape, extended his range on the jump shot and his defense was just awesome. Last is Richards, he will be hard to keep out of games at the end because of FT shooting but his overall confidence/aggressiveness on the offensive end was something I wasn't expecting.

I was going to name the same 3.

Herro because I didn’t expect him to be the best scorer on the team. Figured he was mostly just a shooter as a freshman. His game is really advanced.

Washington and Richards because they managed to be much more productive than last season while also becoming more efficient.

Sophomore Growth
Aggressiveness
Playing For each other at such an early date

I was going to name the same 3.

Herro because I didn’t expect him to be the best scorer on the team. Figured he was mostly just a shooter as a freshman. His game is really advanced.

Washington and Richards because they managed to be much more productive than last season while also becoming more efficient.
Me too...I was going to name the same three for the same reasons. Great minds think alike...lol.

Reactions: UK2005_24
Brad's shake and shimmy, ankle breaking, pull up three
that almost went in...

Although there are some great players that just arrived on campus, it's because of the returning players (Quade, Richards and P.J.) that we have a great shot at cutting down the nets, IMHO.

Tough to pick three. I was impressed by each of the top eight over the course of the four games. Would have been nice to see more of EJ but there was no reason to play him.

At this point I’m most excited about KJ and Herro. Dook’s big edge this year was supposed to be at the 2-3. We will match up better with them than anyone else.

Reactions: WildMoon
Johnson is easily my favorite player so far. He LOVES playing defense. That play where he hounded the guy on Saturday and swiped the ball from him is the first time I've rewinded a defensive play and geeked out since Davis.

Quickely is second because I didn't think he'd be this good out of the gate. I think he has to start as of now.

Herro because I thought it might take some time for his jumper to translate to college. But he looks so comfortable and confident in his shot already.

Reactions: GG24 and morgousky
That says the most about this team; so many different opinions on our 3 most impressive players.
While it’s not realistic to expect that level of play from every player all the time, who is the least likely to be affected by poor play? It has to be Green. I expect him to start and be the “rock” for this team going forward.

Reactions: bigbluelou
Sophomore Growth
Aggressiveness
These are the three things that I noticed,one could add basketball IQ.As for individual players Herro,Johnson and Quickly seem more advanced than I thought they would be at this time.

Reactions: JC43
I can’t pick 3. Quade, Richards, P.J.
But that leaves off KJ, Quickley, Herro
that's my issue

But I will say PJ and Nick for sure, simply for the improvement, and Herro of course.
Or maybe Quade, or Immanuel, or Keldon or Reid

well crap, this is too hard

1. Nick Richards (major major improvement. I was not expecting him to improve as much as he did).
2. Keldon Johnson (guy is a warrior and Cal wasn't joking about his stroke, he's a better a shooter than I expected).
3. Tyler Herro (no explanation needed, we all saw)
4. Quickley (I knew he was a solid shooter, but I wasn't expecting him to run point with as much poise as he did.)

Johnson is the best player on the team and possibly the 2nd best player in college behind Barrett BUT I knew that coming in so the 3 surprises were
1. Richards
2. PJ
3. Just how damn good Hagans is on D ( best on ball defender I have seen in years at UK )

I knew Herro was an elite scorer , I knew Quick was one of the 10 best pg in college ( along with Grimes and Garland in terms of freshmen ) and I knew Travis could rebound in droves so those don't belong on my 3.

The player I wanted to see most was Richards. Without an improved sophomore I didn’t think we could win a national championship. After watching him in four games I now feel good about our chances.

Reactions: musrat59
It is tough to just pick 3 out of all these studs. Everyone contributed, but I would have to go with:

Nick-blew me away. Playing like a man with attitude, rim protector we have needed, like he all grown up. (Still only has played basketball like 3-4 years I think, raw last year, but boy does he seem to be getting it now. He cold be such a difference maker at the rim for us.

Herro-I knew I liked him and he would be a fan fav, but man that kid does it all. He isn't just the spot up shooter from 3. Dunks, little floaters, can get to the rim or pull up at any time. Gonna be tough to keep him for 2 years if he progresses like that.

KJ- not that he had a perfect trip, but you can see this kid has it all and will be a star, the next Knox. Love how he is invested on D, thunder dunks and his 3 looked good.

Runner-up-Quickly-Almost flawless. Kid gets people involved and is a stud from 3. I know he has been over shadowed by some of the names, but he looked silky smooth out there. I can see many a game with 10 dimes for this kid if he gets the minutes.

Johnson is a beast. Probably best player on team.

Herro

Washington.

And the rest also.

Sophomore Growth
Aggressiveness
Funny... except for you and me, the whole board went to individual players. My three surprises from the week are (1) Communication between players (2) Fearless approach towards more experienced teams (3) Apparent joy at playing together. These aren't surprising things in general, but they're unheard of in week three with ten practices.

Reactions: JC43
Several have mentioned him already, but I think Quade is the straw that will stir the UK drink this year. I think he is tough as nails and has ice in his veins. Can score when he needs, is a good shooter, distributes the ball well, doesn't turn it over, makes good decisions, keeps the ball low and on a string, head is always up, etc. I think his defense will be much improved this year, too.

He may not be as flashy or athletic as IQ or AH, or as good a shooter and scorer as Herro will be, but dang...he's one heck of a pg.

Richards - Loving the strides made.

Washington - Our best player at the moment and has developed to be so.

Quickley is so smooth, skilled, and poised. He seems to be the best of both worlds option to hold down the point.

Honorable mention - Herro. The skill set isn't surprising but the size, fearlessness, and fluidity to his game all are.

I was of course very, very impressed with Johnson but he also is the least surprising to me though it's goofy for me to penalize him for this when I didn't for PJ or to a lesser extent Herro.

Positionless can take a nap. Position ball is where it is at this year.

C - Richards
PF - Washington
SF - Johnson
SG - Herro
PG - Quickley

Semi-postionless on the bench

F - Travis
F - Montgomery
G - Baker
PG - Green
PG - Hagans

Every single player was impressive. Not one guy that played was a disappointment.

It's impossible for me to think of a top-3.

Richards game stunned me. I hadn’t heard anything about him all summer so I was expecting much of the same as last SEC season. Man did he ever impress me shooting the ball and doing a much better job holding onto the ball.

Herro was a basically who I thought he would be. Total offensive weapon.

Quade was spectacular after shooting the ball poorly in game one. He is heady and tough. Made shots and played tough d.

I’m going to go in a totally different direction and say Travis.

Travis is a guy who is trying to re-make his style of play, and it’s causing him to think too much. As a result, he missed a lot of shots he’d otherwise make.

Regardless, he improved every game. If he’d just averaged a reasonable percentage on the gimmes he missed, he wd have averaged same ppg as PJ with over 10 rebounds.

As much as he struggled at the basket, his mid-range and 3-pt game showed promise.

As Cal noted, they’re going to be focusing on individual development between now and November. He’ll benefit greatly from that.

Finally, after listening to the guy talk - how can you doubt for a minute that he’s going to succeed in what he’s trying to do? I can’t wait to see where he ends up.

Every single player was impressive. Not one guy that played was a disappointment.

It's impossible for me to think of a top-3.
Intensity and depth this team has will just wear out teams. KJ sets the tone. PJW energy was awesome. He will be the go-to bucket guy more than anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT