ADVERTISEMENT

The 2016-17 Kentucky Wildcat's Roster

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
Since it is a dead week until Friday , I thought it would be fun to talk about some what ifs for next season. There will have to be some moving pieces for UK next year. If the recruiting situation stays put, then UK only needs 4 people to leave..which does not seem too unlikely at this point. I might be wrong about the numbers, so please correct me if wrong. Please discuss but here is my look at the situation.

12 Current Scholarship Players; Lee, Poythress, Briscoe, Murray, Ulis, Willis, Hawkins, Skal, Mulder, Humphries, Wynard, Matthews(Floreal will go back to walk-on status)

5 Current Commits; Monk, Fox, Bam, Jones, Wenyen

To get enough room currently, we need 4 people to leave. As of now, I see Poythress, Murray, Ulis, and Skal all leaving.

For Bolden(Or even Skal to stay?) to have a spot:

-Lee would have to transfer(or go pro?). With more depth next year in the front court, his playing time could shrink. But, with more strength and talent around him it could free him up to play to his strengths as a rim protector and a finisher because his weaknesses will not be exposed. He could go to another school and be the star. But going to another school means that he would be exposed more than he would this season and have to adjust to a new system and location and who knows if that is what he would want to do at this point in his life. He could just think that his stock and skill is as high as it will get in college so he could go start making money overseas. Lee is the most interesting case by far.

-Briscoe would have to declare for the draft. Briscoe clearly has a very high upside and he could want to just take his chances in the pros in a weak draft instead of coming back and playing 3rd fiddle again or even coming off the bench. I do not think anyone has had more to gain by coming back than Briscoe. He literally has the athleticism, finishing ability, ball handling skills, and defense to be a pro player. If he develops a jumper, he could become a 1st round pick and that could give him a lot more money and could lead to a longer career in the NBA. I see him coming back and being possibly a solid 2-3 year player.

Then there are more parts that could get interesting if we want to add more and Lee and Briscoe want to stay.

-Willis: Not happening now. He is the 3rd best contributor on this team now and will be a senior leader on next year's team.

Hawkins: Possible, but unlikely in my opinion. UK will once again be short on guard depth next year and he could play a big role off the bench. A senior guard who has played some big minutes in his career with top level defense will definitely have a role on a team with two freshman guards. Also, being a Kentucky boy I'm sure he would want to have a senior day in Rupp Arena.

-Mulder: This is the one that no one is talking about. Mulder is not going to be a contributor ever in his career at UK. He is talented enough to be a star at a smaller school. I think he has not adjusted to the D1 level from juco and may not be a UK guy..not his fault but he is not a fit. I could see him wanting to end his career as a star maybe at a lower level school?

Reactions: bigbluelou
Ulis is projected a mid-second round pick.

I hope he comes back. With him, and the roster we'll have next season, we should be overwhelming favorites to win the title.

Ulis is projected a mid-second round pick.

I hope he comes back. With him, and the roster we'll have next season, we should be overwhelming favorites to win the title.
No reason for him to come back. He's never going to be a first rounder.

I think you've already mentioned the 2 most likely scenarios to free up the 5th scholarship:

1- Briscoe declares
2- Mulder transfers. Admittedly I have NO connections/idea as to how he feels at this point. You are right, though, if he aspirations of playing a lot of minutes, he will likely transfer.

also an option
3- Lee declares - if the draft is weaker this year (read that somewhere), does he stand a better chance next year, or does he take his chances now?

Any idea what we do at the guard spot if Briscoe and Ullis leave?

Do y'all feel we need one more guy to sure up the depth at that spot?

Will be an interesting roster, for sure:

PG - Fox, (Briscoe) Hawkins
SG - Monk, (Mulder)
SF - Willis, Gabriel, Matthews
PF - BAM, Jones, Wynyard
C - (Lee), Humphries, (Bolden?)

Guys in parentheses are who I currently think are the most unlikely to be here. One of those four (or someone else) obviously cannot be here as that puts the scholly number to 14.

The only thing I don't like about that team is inexperience at the guard positions. If I had my choice (based purley on skills), I'd keep Briscoe or Ulis. My ideal roster for next year would be:

PG - Ulis, Fox, Hawkins
SG - Monk, Mulder
PF - BAM, Jones, Wynyard
C - Humphries, Bolden

I know Cal said there would never be platoons again, but that roster would allow it.

the question in my mind, should we get bolden, is who plays over who between willis/gabriel and lee/killeya-jones. i think lee is back because i don't think he's topped out. how many minutes matters, but how he performs in whatever minutes he gets is what's most important for him and the draft. i think he is actually improving. he's getting tougher like skal and becoming a threat like skal to get a defensive rebound.

i smell platoons. if briscoe comes back especially. whatever the case, we have willis, humphries, hawkins, matthews, mulder and probably lee as our bench. that's insane. if we get bolden then that's another five star on the bench as well.

Same as other 9 posted topics this year. Re-read and you have all your answers.

:
PG - Ulis, Fox, Hawkins
SG - Monk, Mulder
PF - BAM, Jones, Wynyard
C - Humphries, Bolden

I know Cal said there would never be platoons again, but that roster would allow it.
If this were the roster for next year, my God that would be absolutely scary. You would have to go Ulis, Fox, Monk, Gabriel/Willis, BAM as the starting 5 in my opinion. Would be a stupid amount of talent on one roster. If Ulis leaves, then you go Fox, Monk, Willis, Gabriel, BAM. And that is still ridiculous.

Maybe he can do that this year.

Regardless, if you pay any attention to what's been said by Cal and by Ulis himself, there's about a .1 % chance he returns.
I know that, but Cal tried to push Willie out early too...

I know that he's gone, but I'd love it if he just decided that wanted another special season with the PROPER ending!!

I'd prefer Briscoe to come back as opposed to Tyler for unselfish reasons. Tyler has nothing to gain by coming back. But they both could leave, especially if Briscoe feels he can go in the 1st.

I also prefer Omer to Bolden. So, best case scenario imo is that we get Omer and Skal comes back. And maybe even Briscoe. Then decorate the streets after we run through every school in the country.

I know that, but Cal tried to push Willie out early too...

I know that he's gone, but I'd love it if he just decided that wanted another special season with the PROPER ending!!

proper ending for who? my guess for most of these guys....the proper ending and getting drafted, even if its the 2nd round.

proper ending for who? my guess for most of these guys....the proper ending and getting drafted, even if its the 2nd round.
There's no point in trying to find an argument here.

I love everything about our program.

I love our coach, our players, the one and done's, the fans...

All of it!!

I was just speculating that every now and then, a player might want to come back to win a title.

Our kids are no different than others in many ways, and it DOES happen sometimes.

I could see Mulder transferring. I think he just wanted to get to D-1 and now that he is, and on a team like UK, more teams would be willing to take him. Would have to sit out a year though.

Since it is a dead week until Friday , I thought it would be fun to talk about some what ifs for next season. There will have to be some moving pieces for UK next year. If the recruiting situation stays put, then UK only needs 4 people to leave..which does not seem too unlikely at this point. I might be wrong about the numbers, so please correct me if wrong. Please discuss but here is my look at the situation.

12 Current Scholarship Players; Lee, Poythress, Briscoe, Murray, Ulis, Willis, Hawkins, Skal, Mulder, Humphries, Wynard, Matthews(Floreal will go back to walk-on status)

5 Current Commits; Monk, Fox, Bam, Jones, Wenyen

To get enough room currently, we need 4 people to leave. As of now, I see Poythress, Murray, Ulis, and Skal all leaving.

For Bolden(Or even Skal to stay?) to have a spot:

-Lee would have to transfer(or go pro?). With more depth next year in the front court, his playing time could shrink. But, with more strength and talent around him it could free him up to play to his strengths as a rim protector and a finisher because his weaknesses will not be exposed. He could go to another school and be the star. But going to another school means that he would be exposed more than he would this season and have to adjust to a new system and location and who knows if that is what he would want to do at this point in his life. He could just think that his stock and skill is as high as it will get in college so he could go start making money overseas. Lee is the most interesting case by far.

-Briscoe would have to declare for the draft. Briscoe clearly has a very high upside and he could want to just take his chances in the pros in a weak draft instead of coming back and playing 3rd fiddle again or even coming off the bench. I do not think anyone has had more to gain by coming back than Briscoe. He literally has the athleticism, finishing ability, ball handling skills, and defense to be a pro player. If he develops a jumper, he could become a 1st round pick and that could give him a lot more money and could lead to a longer career in the NBA. I see him coming back and being possibly a solid 2-3 year player.

Then there are more parts that could get interesting if we want to add more and Lee and Briscoe want to stay.

-Willis: Not happening now. He is the 3rd best contributor on this team now and will be a senior leader on next year's team.

Hawkins: Possible, but unlikely in my opinion. UK will once again be short on guard depth next year and he could play a big role off the bench. A senior guard who has played some big minutes in his career with top level defense will definitely have a role on a team with two freshman guards. Also, being a Kentucky boy I'm sure he would want to have a senior day in Rupp Arena.

-Mulder: This is the one that no one is talking about. Mulder is not going to be a contributor ever in his career at UK. He is talented enough to be a star at a smaller school. I think he has not adjusted to the D1 level from juco and may not be a UK guy..not his fault but he is not a fit. I could see him wanting to end his career as a star maybe at a lower level school?

No way in hell Briscoe or Lee declare for the draft or leave to go elsewhere. Poythress graduates, so he's gone. Skal, Murray and Ulis are gone. If someone else leaves, and Bolden commits, were fine. If not, Floreal goes to walk on. It always works out.

I just wish we could get another year out of Ulis.. but not going to happen.. doesn't look like it can happen.

For clarification, I counted 12 players currently..and I DID NOT count EJ.

My prediction for next year. We keep the current class. Skal, Ulis, Poy, and Chef Murray go pro. Those guys leaving and everyone else staying is probably the most likely to happen if all else stays the same.

My Lineup:
5 Lee
4 Bam
3 Willis/Briscoe
2 Monk
1 Fox

Gabriel would probably be the 6/7 man, or possibly could start too early to tell. His flexibility is his biggest asset and we really do not know where Cal will use him to maximize his strengths.

Isaac and Jones are probably your main front line reserves.

Hawkins will play a similar role to this season, but I do not know if Fox can go almost 40 mpg like Tyler is this season so Hawkins may be needed to come in critical situations for his defense and experience

Charles Matthews may get lost in the shuffle next season if he cannot add anything to his offensive game. Mulder really can only be a Jon Hood, an emergency shooter that has potential but has never proven anything. Wynard will be a Freshman and can use next year as another year to get stronger.

I think that would be a complete team with size, length, speed, defense, shooting, rim protection, rebounding, depth, ball handling, and experience. Talented players mixed with 3 seniors that will play key roles in the rotation.

Matthews will transfer. Just my guess. Where will he get minutes? After next year one of Humphries/Wynard will leave

It might make 100% from our perspective for Mulder to transfer, but there are always logistics we don't know about. He will be a Senior. He should be able to get his degree. He's already established himself at UK and been on the team. He had to know that he may get squeezed out at UK when he committed, given the talent level this year and next year (and always at UK), so it's not like he came in with starter minutes available. He could leave, but there are arguments to be made that we can't just look at the basketball situation and decide that.

Charles Matthews would be a lot more likely to transfer than Mulder, given he would have 3 years left and he has the makings of a future professional player. He could greatly use a year off to really work on his ball handling and jump shot. He could go somewhere like Gonzaga or Wichita State and be a very, very big impact player.

A lot of signs point toward Briscoe staying. The only thing that doesn't is...it's not like he's going to step right in and be THE point guard all year. If that was the case, he'd have plenty of incentive to stay. However, he could learn something from Andrew Harrison, who really should not have played over Tyler Ulis. I suspect it will be very similar with Fox.

A lot of signs point toward Briscoe staying. The only thing that doesn't is...it's not like he's going to step right in and be THE point guard all year. If that was the case, he'd have plenty of incentive to stay. However, he could learn something from Andrew Harrison, who really should not have played over Tyler Ulis. I suspect it will be very similar with Fox.

these are fan made signs. the kid has always wanted to be a 1 and done

SG - Monk, (Mulder)
PF - BAM, Jones, Wynyard

Guys in parentheses are who I currently think are the most unlikely to be here. One of those four (or someone else) obviously cannot be here as that puts the scholly number to 14.

The only thing I don't like about that team is inexperience at the guard positions. If I had my choice (based purley on skills), I'd keep Briscoe or Ulis. My ideal roster for next year would be:

PG - Ulis, Fox, Hawkins
SG - Monk, Mulder
PF - BAM, Jones, Wynyard
C - Humphries, Bolden

If Ulis comes back(which he wont) then the starters would be.If Bolden is added
Ulis
Fox
Monk
Bam
Bolden...

No way Ulis,Fox,Monk dont start..I could see this line up
Fox
Monk
Willis
Gabriel
Bam

I think you've already mentioned the 2 most likely scenarios to free up the 5th scholarship:

1- Briscoe declares
2- Mulder transfers. Admittedly I have NO connections/idea as to how he feels at this point. You are right, though, if he aspirations of playing a lot of minutes, he will likely transfer.

also an option
3- Lee declares - if the draft is weaker this year (read that somewhere), does he stand a better chance next year, or does he take his chances now?
I don't think Lee and Briscoe will both leave but I do think one will. SO there you go. I think Lee has a better chance of leaving due to being a junior then Briscoe . Briscoe needs to show scouts he hasn't forgot how to shoot and make free throws like he did in HS . I have a suspicion he comes back and next year gets back to his normal 35% from 3 and 70% from the line . If he does that he is a lotto pick at pg.

SG - Monk, (Mulder)
PF - BAM, Jones, Wynyard

PG - Ulis, Fox, Hawkins
SG - Monk, Mulder
PF - BAM, Jones, Wynyard
C - Humphries, Bolden

You have left off SKJ who had the talent to compete for a starting position.

Poythress was the center of senior night so he's not trying to get an extra year. Otherwise I have no clue who will leave for the draft or transfer to make room for the newcomers. But at least in my mind, from most to least likely it goes

Murray
Ulis
Skal
Lee (senior transfer)
Briscoe
Matthews
Hawkins
(Willis, Mulder, Tai, Hump) - any of these COULD transfer & I wouldn't be shocked but I kinda just don't see it.

There are innumerable combinations of ways it could work out and while fun to discuss, I've stopped worrying about it. It'll work out, even if we add Bolden.

ADVERTISEMENT