ADVERTISEMENT

The 15 Club-NIL for UK

I’m not trying to argue, I’m trying to understand your position. Schools, especially UK fought against NIL. Mitch has been criticized for moving too slowly to accommodate the new landscape.
NIL was born out of legal challenges brought by players against the NCAA that limited their ability to earn income. Once that Pandora’s box was opened… When you say, “[it] was never what NIL was meant for”, what does that mean? Meant for by whom? Isn’t NIL simply the label placed on the lack of rules surrounding compensation?
If you’re told you can’t limit income and fans at State U decide they want to pay players to attract them to their school, do you expect others to not do so?
At whom is your displeasure directed and if you were in Mitch’s position, what would you do differently? Would you reject fan collectives?
Nil was for existing players who have established a brand to make money off of their Name, Image,, and Likeness. Stop playing dumb. It was not meant to be used as a recruiting tool to lure players from highschool and other colleges. You that just like everyone else does. It's turned all recruits and existing players into free agents. That a lot of people on this board think that the fans should have to pay for these free agents is laughable. I'm against NIl as it is currently being used and against the people who think you're not a fan of you don't contribute to nil. We, as fans contribute through, bought merchandise, ticket purchases, and tv\steaming packages to view games. The same way we do for all the pro teams. I don't understand why you don't understand. My stance is pretty clear and straight forward and have now explained this to you multiple times. I can make it any simpler. Go argue with someone else.

Nil was for existing players who have established a brand to make money off of their Name, Image,, and Likeness. Stop playing dumb. It was not meant to be used as a recruiting tool to lure players from highschool and other colleges. You that just like everyone else does. It's turned all recruits and existing players into free agents. That a lot of people on this board think that the fans should have to pay for these free agents is laughable. I'm against NIl as it is currently being used and against the people who think you're not a fan of you don't contribute to nil. We, as fans contribute through, bought merchandise, ticket purchases, and tv\steaming packages to view games. The same way we do for all the pro teams. I don't understand why you don't understand. My stance is pretty clear and straight forward and have now explained this to you multiple times. I can make it any simpler. Go argue with someone else.
It’s not your fault and I respect your opinion but if everyone had your thoughts on NIL UK might as well stop playing football.

Why would you be insulted? This is capitalism, the SCOTUS voted 9-0 that the NCAA couldn’t prevent athletes from being paid. People are willing to pay them, nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do so. Regardless others will do so, so if UK wishes to complete they will need to do so.
Everyone in the sport is making more and more money. Why shouldn’t the athletes be able to get more as well?
Not sure that was the holding of that case. Rather, it was a concurring opinion from Kavanaugh that sent the NCAA into a panic.

It’s not your fault and I respect your opinion but if everyone had your thoughts on NIL UK might as well stop playing football.
If everyone had my thoughts then NIL would probably be used in the correct manner and not as a recruiting tool to buy players.. I know you meant fans of UK only, and on that you would be right.

If NIL was used correctly this might be a worthy 10 to 15 dollar a month subscription but as it is, none of yalls best is beating the 9 sec schools best.

As I said this is no different than wasting money on beer or cigarettes or fast food so people go crazy on it, although it's kinda like buying those things for some guy on campus u don't even know.

Let me get this straight… I pay the guys to play, I pay to watch them play and then they “ opt out “ of playing? What am I supposed to think about that? There’s an old saying about a fool and his money.

Reactions: KyCatFan
I never claimed anyone who didn’t contribute wasn’t a fan. You have an idealistic view of what NIL should be. I don’t disagree with that view but that genie is out of the bottle. There’s really nothing the schools/NCAA can do to prevent it being used as a recruiting tool. Their hands were tied by the SCOTUS decision. They can also use it as a recruiting tool or accept that they are at a competitive disadvantage. I’ve asked what you would do differently if you were in Mitch’s/UK’s shoes?
We have to work with the landscape as it exists, not the one we wished we had.
I’ll say again, I’m not trying to argue but to understand who it is you’re upset with.

Reactions: SECCountry75
It's shows no lack of understanding. I understand today's college sports landscape just fine. Doesn't change how ridiculous it is that people expect the fans to pay for players. It's your lack of understanding that is keeping you from seeing how ridiculous this is. This isn't college sports any more. There no student athletes. Only semi professional players. Only, unlike the pro's, they are asking the fans to pony up to help pay the salaries.

You use nebulous terms like "people". It's called capitalism. Athletes can now be paid for their services, name, image, and likeness. You sound like a grouchy old man who wants the 1950s good ole days again.

It doesn't matter if you (or I) think it's ridiculous. It's the way of the world. The ridiculous part is that you're on a UK message board bitching about it. I'll write a check and be happy about it if it helps UK continue to have a winning football program. I guess you'll find other things to do with your time (or my guess is that you won't).

Reactions: SECCountry75
If NIL was used correctly this might be a worthy 10 to 15 dollar a month subscription but as it is, none of yalls best is beating the 9 sec schools best.

As I said this is no different than wasting money on beer or cigarettes or fast food so people go crazy on it, although it's kinda like buying those things for some guy on campus u don't even know.

If you won't try, how do you know? The BBN is international. The BBN is everywhere. The BBN is you, me, Tim Couch, Dermotti Dawson, Pat Riley, Brandon Webb, Tudor Dixon, Gov. Ted Strickland, Ashley Judd, and hundreds of thousands of other Kentucky fans. Once we overcome the pessimism and passivity your comments represent, there is no reason BBN cannot make a huge difference.

Last edited:
I don't get why everyone thinks that we as fans should contribute to pay "student athletes" to play for our team. We contribute enough by buying merchandise, tickets and tv packages to watch the games. Can you imagine how laughable it would be if a pro team started asking fans to do this? I buy tickets. I buy UK gear. I have cable and streaming packages solely for the reason to watch the games. If the school needs/wants to pay players then they make more than enough revenue from these sources to pay the players.

Let me counter this argument.
Buying tickets, gear, cable packages, etc is good. It funds the program.

But it also funds the people nobody gives a shit about. The ADs, coaches, trainers, etc all making upwards of ten million a year thanks to you. But you're not paying for the tickets and whatnot to watch the coaches coach. You're paying to watch the players play. But schools don't wanna share that money with the people generating it, the people you're specifically tuned in to watch.

So what you're doing is paying for smurf-all. Throwing your money in a furnace. You're getting no return on it.

When universities start splitting revenue with the folk generating it, this is a fine idea. (And that's actually a way to control the transfer portal. Put players on payroll and you can have contracts that lock them in to a place. It would also need perfectly reasonable to have a salary cap like most pro leagues do). But until they get a piece of the pie, these NIL collectives are the only way the players, who are quite literally sacrificing their bodies for your entertainment, can get any sort of compensation.

I never claimed anyone who didn’t contribute wasn’t a fan. You have an idealistic view of what NIL should be. I don’t disagree with that view but that genie is out of the bottle. There’s really nothing the schools/NCAA can do to prevent it being used as a recruiting tool. Their hands were tied by the SCOTUS decision. They can also use it as a recruiting tool or accept that they are at a competitive disadvantage. I’ve asked what you would do differently if you were in Mitch’s/UK’s shoes?
I’ll say again, I’m not trying to argue but to understand who it is you’re upset with.
I'm not upset. Just stating my opinion. To the best of my memory,I never made one remark about Mitch or singled out UK. All my statements were about nil and people's expectations that's fans should carry the financial burden of nil.

You use nebulous terms like "people". It's called capitalism. Athletes can now be paid for their services, name, image, and likeness. You sound like a grouchy old man who wants the 1950s good ole days again.

It doesn't matter if you (or I) think it's ridiculous. It's the way of the world. The ridiculous part is that you're on a UK message board bitching about it. I'll write a check and be happy about it if it helps UK continue to have a winning football program. I guess you'll find other things to do with your time (or my guess is that you won't).
Lol, I'm giving my opinion just like you and every one else on here. Sorry you don't like my opinion. read my posts. I'm not against NIl. I'm against how it is being used and others expectations that fans should be paying into nil when we already pay enough. The pros don't ask the fans to pay their players salaries. You seem upset that I replied to your post with an opinion different from your own. So I'll do you a favor and not reply to you anymore...grumpy old man.

Let me counter this argument.
Buying tickets, gear, cable packages, etc is good. It funds the program.

But it also funds the people nobody gives a shit about. The ADs, coaches, trainers, etc all making upwards of ten million a year thanks to you. But you're not paying for the tickets and whatnot to watch the coaches coach. You're paying to watch the players play. But schools don't wanna share that money with the people generating it, the people you're specifically tuned in to watch.

So what you're doing is paying for smurf-all. Throwing your money in a furnace. You're getting no return on it.

When universities start splitting revenue with the folk generating it, this is a fine idea. (And that's actually a way to control the transfer portal. Put players on payroll and you can have contracts that lock them in to a place. It would also need perfectly reasonable to have a salary cap like most pro leagues do). But until they get a piece of the pie, these NIL collectives are the only way the players, who are quite literally sacrificing their bodies for your entertainment, can get any sort of compensation.
Can't argue with anything in your post. Good counter. And I agree with most of it.

So if you refuse to donate, do you still get to complain when we don't get players or they transfer due to NIL??

So if you refuse to donate, do you still get to complain when we don't get players or they transfer due to NIL??
I don't think I've ever complained about not getting a player. And I will never donate to nil. As I've stated many times, tickets merchandise and TV generate more than enough money to pay for players if that's is the route everyone wants to go. That's how the pros do it. Too bad the NCAA and it's colleges and universities keep all that money to themselves.

I don't think I've ever complained about not getting a player. And I will never donate to nil. As I've stated many times, tickets merchandise and TV generate more than enough money to pay for players if that's is the route everyone wants to go. That's how the pros do it. Too bad the NCAA and it's colleges and universities keep all that money to themselves.
Schools such as TN are funneling TV money to boosters who in turn funnel it to NIL. Works for them.

DEAR KENTUCKY 15 CLUB MEMBER:

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US TO CONTRIBUTE AND ENGAGE WITH KENTUCKY STUDENT-ATHLETES. WE’RE SURE YOU’RE EAGER TO HEAR FROM US AND WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THE NEXT STEPS FOR MEMBERSHIP ACTIVATION.
IN JANUARY 2023 WE WILL UNVEIL THE BRAND NEW 15 CLUB WEBSITE. YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO LOGIN AND GAIN ACCESS TO EXCITING MEMBER BENEFITS SUCH AS:
  • ACCESS TO THE 15 CLUB MARKETPLACE (AVAILABLE JANUARY 2023) WITH MEMBERS ONLY MERCHANDISE
  • ACCESS TO UNIQUE PLAYER INTERACTIONS AND VIDEOS FOR MEMBERS ONLY
  • TICKETS TO STUDENT-ATHLETE EVENTS FOR MEMBERS ONLY
  • BEGINNING IN JANUARY 2023 WE WILL BEGIN SHIPPING MEMBERS ONLY REWARDS ACCORDING TO YOUR TIER LEVEL.

WE WILL SHARE WITH YOU SOME OF THE MEMBERS ONLY MERCHANDISE IN THE COMING WEEKS AS WE CONTINUE TO ENGAGE

THIS email was as a result of my donation. Not sure what happens next but it’s a start.
Was the letter really in ALL CAPS?

There is nothing wrong with NIL being what it means. Players making money off their name, image, and likeness. Not a pay for play. The NCAA swung the pendulum and acted impotent when it permitted these collectives to exist. A business seeing value in marketing with a player is far different than a group of fans or a wealthy person buying players for their school. The Supreme Court hinted that the former could not be restricted, not the latter.

I don't think I've ever complained about not getting a player. And I will never donate to nil. As I've stated many times, tickets merchandise and TV generate more than enough money to pay for players if that's is the route everyone wants to go. That's how the pros do it. Too bad the NCAA and its colleges and universities keep all that money to themselves.
I get this. But, would you buy a Levingston shirt that you know Will gets a cut of? If the players who are attractive to fans market themselves well, I think fans like you will contribute to NIL.

Thanks for the little nudge. Was considering buying season tix but would rather donate to the NIL collective and goto a game or 2 instead.

Reactions: The-Hack
Kentucky can't cheat right. Kentucky can't buy players right. We're never going to be a contender with how things are. Doesn't matter if you all keep trying to throw your money at the problem it won't change. Other schools will just outspend you. I'll just keep what money I have for myself and my family. I'm not going to contribute to the NIL fiasco.

I'm getting to the point of not buying merchandise, going to the games, and cutting out TV if things don't change. I didn't even watch the basketball game today because I knew it would aggravate me. That was unheard of for me to not watch a game a couple years ago. Just don't have the passion for sports anymore. Just barely hanging on now.

I get this. But, would you buy a Levingston shirt that you know Will gets a cut of? If the players who are attractive to fans market themselves well, I think fans like you will contribute to NIL.
That would fall under buying merchandise, but as an adult male I don't wear clothes with images of other people on them. So no image and it wouldn't be unthinkable for me

Reactions: RogerIndy
That would fall under buying merchandise, but as an adult male I don't wear clothes with images of other people on them. So no image and it wouldn't be unthinkable for me
Well, you can see the shirt and see if it fits your requirements.

ADVERTISEMENT